ADVERTISEMENT

As of right now.

Suterman

HR Legend
Nov 13, 2003
Assuming Weezie moves on and no Robbins.

1- Joe Toussaint, Aron Ulis
2- CJ Fredrick, Tony Perkins
3- Patrick McCaffery, Kris Murray, P. Sandfort
4- Keegan Murray/Connor McCaffery
5- Riley Mulvey/Josh Ogundele

Still need an experienced 5 IMHO or play basically positionless.

Adding Mulvey to this class helps a lot even if Fran doesn't add another big. May give him the flexibility to go after a JW replacement if he feels the departure is imminent. Between Josh O. and Mulvey, should have a respectable + post game--I think Josh will surprise. Definitely a different dynamic in the back court and more guys who fit the transition game.

Adding Mulvey to this class helps a lot even if Fran doesn't add another big. May give him the flexibility to go after a JW replacement if he feels the departure is imminent. Between Josh O. and Mulvey, should have a respectable + post game--I think Josh will surprise. Definitely a different dynamic in the back court and more guys who fit the transition game.
Anyone have any reliable measures on Mulvey? Looks awful skinny but someone else mentioned he’s bigger than Liam at this point. Obviously Liam has more experience. Assuming we don’t get him it’d be nice if Mulvey can give us quality minutes next year. Still think we get another big in the portal.

Nothing against the young man, but it is awful hard to see Mulvey coming in as an young 18 year old and making much of a contribution right away, especially against Power 5 competition and with the very limited minutes Josh O. got this season, Iowa will struggle if they expect either of these two to be the answer inside. Their best bet is to go small and pressure the heck out of the ball, something Fran has never really shown an inclination to do. He is going to have to make a change in his whole defensive philosophy and maybe hire a young, aggressive defensive minded assistant coach.

Nothing against the young man, but it is awful hard to see Mulvey coming in as an young 18 year old and making much of a contribution right away, especially against Power 5 competition and with the very limited minutes Josh O. got this season, Iowa will struggle if they expect either of these two to be the answer inside. Their best bet is to go small and pressure the heck out of the ball, something Fran has never really shown an inclination to do. He is going to have to make a change in his whole defensive philosophy and maybe hire a young, aggressive defensive minded assistant coach.
Good points. The cynical side of me thinks Fran was going to strike out in the portal and this semi-saved his bacon. The 'maybe Fran has a plan' side of me hopes he is still looking to get a grad transfer in, even if not Robbins, in order to red shirt Mulvey, but then why would reclassify to red shirt?

I guess at the end of the day Josh has a big frame and won't be easily pushed around and Mulvey is super long and will block / alter shots just by being in the vicinity.

We need rebounding and some amount of shot blocking threat on the inside. We don’t need a guy to come in and score 10 plus for us. I think a freshman can fill that role if he can run down the court without tripping over his own feet. Even better if he can move his feet fast enough to hedge on screens the way that Fran loves.

We need rebounding and some amount of shot blocking threat on the inside. We don’t need a guy to come in and score 10 plus for us. I think a freshman can fill that role if he can run down the court without tripping over his own feet. Even better if he can move his feet fast enough to hedge on screens the way that Fran loves.
I don't know about that for sure. We lose 70% of our scoring with Weezie, JBo and Luka being gone. I'm not sure we can afford anybody not pulling their weight in the scoring column.

I don't know about that for sure. We lose 70% of our scoring with Weezie, JBo and Luka being gone. I'm not sure we can afford anybody not pulling their weight in the scoring column.
I agree that scoring is a skill we need for next season......I wonder though how much more some of these guys will score with significantly more minutes and not deferring to the stars...just that they will know that their role is different on this team.

Agreed, and with Keegan and PMac seeing more time, I think they will pick up the slack for rebounding and shot blocking. I would also bet that Kris and Mulvey will have their share of blocks and rebounds, too. The only other unknown is Big O and I'm not counting him out yet.

I think a wide body type of forward/post player would be useful. Josh has some bulk, but is inexperienced.
If Wes Unseld had a clone, that’d do the trick, but someone like Cyrus Tate, Jarryd Cole, etc.
Also, a wing who can get to the basket regularly.

Reactions: perryhawk
I agree that scoring is a skill we need for next season......I wonder though how much more some of these guys will score with significantly more minutes and not deferring to the stars...just that they will know that their role is different on this team.

I know what you’re saying but by the same token can’t one also say if these guys have the skill set to score that way, they’d have demonstrated it a lot more when teammates like Luka and JW were the defense’s main focus?

If we have learned anything over Frans tenure, its that he knows how to get his team points. D has typically been the issue, and that should be much improved this coming year. Situational offense could be an issue, say we need a bucket...who do we give it to?

I know what you’re saying but by the same token can’t one also say if these guys have the skill set to score that way, they’d have demonstrated it a lot more when teammates like Luka and JW were the defense’s main focus?
That's the rub right? Is it that factor...or is it deferring to those guys? Is it that in the limited minutes they really didn't have a chance to put up a volume of shots and were just trying to play mistake free? With a role change and a year of development how much more can they score? Only the coaches and players themselves have a good feel for that right?

I hope the light goes on for Joe T. and he becomes the PG we'd love to see. If it doesn't, then I wouldn't be surprised to see CMac back at PG and starting. The guys listed in the OP at the 3 could play some at the 4. CJ might see time at the 3 with Tony at the 2. Aron might play some on the wing, especially if CMac moves back to point.

I totally agree that we still need an experienced 5, although Mulvey helps a lot with depth at 5. Weesy returning would make me feel a lot better about our outside shooting, but I see a much more athletic team with the potential to be really good defensively IF we have a center to help Keegan guard the basket and get defensive boards. Keegan and JoeT have the athleticism to be all-defensive team level defenders. I am really anxious to see Kris play real minutes. If he is even close to as good as Keegan, this team could really surprise. CJ's health is also important. When he is 100%, CJ is a very complete, high-level guard. Still, without an experienced center, unless Mulvey or Big O make huge strides over the summer, the team will have a big disadvantage to overcome against some B1G teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: kcgolfer
Hah! Good one!

If JoeW doesn't return, it is difficult to see where the scoring is going to come from. Keegan and CJ has shown some offensive abilities, but after that, it's pretty much a crapshoot. We have roughly 30 points/game returning. I know nature abhors a vacuum, so some players will have to step up.

If JoeW doesn't return, it is difficult to see where the scoring is going to come from. Keegan and CJ has shown some offensive abilities, but after that, it's pretty much a crapshoot. We have roughly 30 points/game returning. I know nature abhors a vacuum, so some players will have to step up.
Sandfort and Mulvey both have scorers' mentality. Whether they can do it at the D1 level is the question.

CJ can score various ways if he is healthy.

Joe T can get to the bucket and score if guarded one-on-one.

Keegan is pretty reliable inside of 15 feet, still developing a jump shot. Same thing for PMac.

The totally unknowns besides the new kids are Kris M, Ulis and Perkins. We saw a little of each but not enough to know if they will be scorers. Perkins was. THE MAN on his HS team so hopefully he will be more aggressive next year. Ulis was an efficient scorer in HS with the ability to take over games. Krisis a glue guy but can score. Will they have the confidence to make the step to being offensive contributors?

Lots of questions. But a lot of potential solutions.

Reactions: Ihawkhoops
I look at it this way. We had a decent year but not great even though we were one of the top scoring teams in the nation. I would not expect next year to be as high scoring, however, our defense should be dramatically improved. Shooting can be inconsistent. Defense is not. A team needs to play consistently good defense because the shots won’t always fall as we experienced this year.

I feel pretty good about next year. I am not in favor of bringing in a big 5 because I think this team plays better when we are smaller and quicker. Give me a 6-7 to 6-9 guy that can defend and block out.

I look at it this way. We had a decent year but not great even though we were one of the top scoring teams in the nation. I would not expect next year to be as high scoring, however, our defense should be dramatically improved. Shooting can be inconsistent. Defense is not. A team needs to play consistently good defense because the shots won’t always fall as we experienced this year.

I feel pretty good about next year. I am not in favor of bringing in a big 5 because I think this team plays better when we are smaller and quicker. Give me a 6-7 to 6-9 guy that can defend and block out.
Rebraca might be just what you are suggesting, although I don't know how he plays on the defensive end. He looks very skilled and mobile on the offensive end.

Assuming the CJF transfer news is accurate (and I fear it is) and no Joe W or JBo; as it stands now, it’s going to be a definite rebuild year...

1- Joe Toussaint, Ahron Ulis
2- Tony Perkins, Kris M,Sandfort
4- Keegan Murray, Connor McCaffery
5- Riley Mulvey, Josh Ogundele

Sandfort and Mulvey both have scorers' mentality. Whether they can do it at the D1 level is the question.

CJ can score various ways if he is healthy.

Joe T can get to the bucket and score if guarded one-on-one.

Keegan is pretty reliable inside of 15 feet, still developing a jump shot. Same thing for PMac.

The totally unknowns besides the new kids are Kris M, Ulis and Perkins. We saw a little of each but not enough to know if they will be scorers. Perkins was. THE MAN on his HS team so hopefully he will be more aggressive next year. Ulis was an efficient scorer in HS with the ability to take over games. Krisis a glue guy but can score. Will they have the confidence to make the step to being offensive contributors?

Lots of questions. But a lot of potential solutions.

CJ can score for Kentucky if healthy. But he's not

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
Assuming the CJF transfer news is accurate (and I fear it is) and no Joe W or JBo; as it stands now, it’s going to be a definite rebuild year...

1- Joe Toussaint, Ahron Ulis
2- Tony Perkins, Kris M,Sandfort
4- Keegan Murray, Connor McCaffery
5- Riley Mulvey, Josh Ogundele

Keegan at 5 and Connor start

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT