ADVERTISEMENT

At what age did you no longer fear death?

Did you call 911?

What happened to the woman?
Yes, Cops and Ambulance came for her. Cops were there within 2 min. Her arms and legs were cut up and bleeding and she had a concussion. There were two small children in the SUV watching it all go down. They acted like it happens all the time. I gave my statement to the police but haven't heard anything.

It's one of those things you never expect to see and when it happened I went into another mode. I was unhooking my boat and I heard him yell "F YOU B!TCH!" Then I looked and he had her flailing over his head and body slammed her on the concrete then picked her up and slammed her into the side of the SUV like WWE or something then picked her up over his head again and slammed her again. He was over top of her ready to ground and pound by the time I was about 20 feet away.

• Wow
Reactions: BrianNole777
Everything depends on life after death, in my judgment. If there's no life after death, life is pointless.

If there's a bad life after death, that's even worse. If there's a good life after death, that changes the calculation.
That's just sad. If you're wrong about what comes next, nothing that you did in this life matters. Every good thing that you might have done was done in service to something that didn't exist rather than for the purpose of making things here better. If your life warrants whatever "reward" you think exists after death, why would someone who lived a better, more helpful life than you be excluded simply because they didn't believe such a thing existed?

Reactions: uinab
That's just sad. If you're wrong about what comes next, nothing that you did in this life matters. Every good thing that you might have done was done in service to something that didn't exist rather than for the purpose of making things here better. If your life warrants whatever "reward" you think exists after death, why would someone who lived a better, more helpful life than you be excluded simply because they didn't believe such a thing existed?

It's a mystery.

I personally hope for the Beatific Vision as opposed to eternal damnation after death.

It's a mystery.

I personally hope for the Beatific Vision as opposed to eternal damnation after death.
I hope you get what you want. It doesn't answer my question, though. Do good people get eternal damnation because they didn't believe? Or do bad people get your Beatific Vision just because they did? Faith or acts?

I hope you get what you want. It doesn't answer my question, though. Do good people get eternal damnation because they didn't believe? Or do bad people get your Beatific Vision just because they did? Faith or acts?

It's not up to me. That's my answer.

Sorry if it's not satisfying. :)

It's not up to you, but would you feel differently about a God that would send good people to damnation and evil people to heaven based strictly on their belief or lack thereof? That kind of God seems like the opposite of a loving father.

most posters saying they have no fear of death are saying that as a result of having no worries (of say leaving behind struggling dependents) and/or no regrets (ie already had fantastic life experiences). but how is that sufficient to truly erase fear of death? as an analogy, a young ukranian does a great job in college (ie learns all kinds of shit, good grades etc) but upon graduating is ordered to report to bakhmut front line, how can he have no fear? his former experience has nothing to do with the latter, which he knows nothing about. it's a discontinuous leap. otoh, if he's truly prepped and trained and prepared for what bakhmut brings, i could see him having no fear.

For me, when I joined the Army I was too young and too stupid to fear death. After a while you figure out that if the s*** hits the fan, it's likely. By that time I'd gotten past the too young part and went straight to "Well, it's going to happen, embrace the suck and whatever happens happens"

That's not to say there's no fear, there's just no fear of dying. There's definitely fear of getting maimed, cut off from your buddies, suffering, seeing your friends die violently, etc.

I don’t fear death, but like others have said, I do fear a slow painful death such as cancer or something similar. That scares the shit out of me. If I die, my wife will be fine financially, but I would hate to not live a full life with her. It’s not the end we fear, it’s how it ends for most of us I think.

I don’t fear death, but like others have said, I do fear a slow painful death such as cancer or something similar. That scares the shit out of me. If I die, my wife will be fine financially, but I would hate to not live a full life with her. It’s not the end we fear, it’s how it ends for most of us I think.
Agree. Going to sleep and passing in the night is for the fortunate few.

most posters saying they have no fear of death are saying that as a result of having no worries (of say leaving behind struggling dependents) and/or no regrets (ie already had fantastic life experiences). but how is that sufficient to truly erase fear of death? as an analogy, a young ukranian does a great job in college (ie learns all kinds of shit, good grades etc) but upon graduating is ordered to report to bakhmut front line, how can he have no fear? his former experience has nothing to do with the latter, which he knows nothing about. it's a discontinuous leap. otoh, if he's truly prepped and trained and prepared for what bakhmut brings, i could see him having no fear.
Ah, well, I think we are differentiating here between fear of death in the general sense in the indefinite future versus fear of dying at a specific point in time. I am okay with the fact that I will one day die - something I could not honestly say when I was a teen.

But if I was in a life or death situation I would certainly be afraid at that specific moment.

Never really have. I try to live my life like there's no tomorrow, within reason of course, because there might not be. I've lost too many friends pre 40 to count and my medical condition could stop my clock at any moment.

It's not up to you, but would you feel differently about a God that would send good people to damnation and evil people to heaven based strictly on their belief or lack thereof? That kind of God seems like the opposite of a loving father.

People only go to Hell because they choose it. If they reject God, He just respects their choice.

That's my view.

• Sad
Reactions: uinab

I didn't ask if it was up to you...I asked what you believe. Your religion says no number of selfless deeds nor quality of goodness gets you into Heaven. You have to believe a certain creed. You must believe in the Holy Trinity. You must be baptized. Do YOU believe that or not?

Feel free to dodge it again - I realize this can be uncomfortable to contemplate.

Reactions: gohawks50
I don’t think about it much but if the thought ever passes my mind, my first thought is my elementary school aged kids. Once they are old enough to not need me anymore I would be a lot more at ease with the idea of dying.

Once my last kid graduated high school it was a relief. But when they all finished undergrad I was totally fine with whatever happens. My wife will be financially fine and my kids have the tools to take care of themselves (mostly).

Never really have. I try to live my life like there's no tomorrow, within reason of course, because there might not be. I've lost too many friends pre 40 to count and my medical condition could stop my clock at any moment.
the fast and the furious GIF

I live my life a quarter mile at a time. We can be quarter mile bros!

No problem with death. Don’t fear it.

What I fear is being stuck in a craptastic nursing home with some sort of shitty disease or a stroke etc. and having people have to wipe my ass and take care of me while I lay there waiting to die.

Promise me one of you magnificent bastards will find a pro to give me a wristy and then smother me with a pillow.

Reactions: EasyHawk
No problem with death. Don’t fear it.

What I fear is being stuck in a craptastic nursing home with some sort of shitty disease or a stroke etc. and having people have to wipe my ass and take care of me while I lay there waiting to die.

Promise me one of you magnificent bastards will find a pro to give me a wristy and then smother me with a pillow.
I’ll do ya one better friend, would love to personally snuff ya out in your time of need. Just DM brah😎

This American Life 779

Really, really thoughtful and affecting story.

This is a story you really don't hear. Basically, the story-- there's this couple. He gets Alzheimer's. And, of course, so many of us know people with Alzheimer's. I feel like it's like watching somebody who you love-- I don't know-- just drift slowly off into space. The things that make them them get taken away, one after another.

And in this couple, the man, while he still had his wits about him, wanted some kind of assisted suicide before it got too late. And so his wife looks around and finds this place in Switzerland to go to. And what makes the book so special is that just-- I don't know-- the dailyness and realness of the way that his wife tells what that was like to go through.

And they're this interesting couple that you get to know. Very specific people going through this thing that-- honestly, for everybody I have known with dementia or Alzheimer's, I have never met anybody who made this particular choice. And you get to hear how that plays out. And it's very life-sized.

Reactions: The-Dude-Abides
I didn't ask if it was up to you...I asked what you believe. Your religion says no number of selfless deeds nor quality of goodness gets you into Heaven. You have to believe a certain creed. You must believe in the Holy Trinity. You must be baptized. Do YOU believe that or not?

Feel free to dodge it again - I realize this can be uncomfortable to contemplate.

That's not true, actually.

You should do more research. Feel free to be more accurate next time. :)

“Those also can attain to everlasting salvation who through no fault of their own do not know the gospel of Christ or his Church, yet sincerely seek God and, moved by grace, strive by their deeds to do his will as it is known to them through the dictates of conscience. Nor does divine Providence deny the help necessary for salvation to those who, without blame on their part, have not yet arrived at an explicit knowledge of God, but who strive to live a good life, thanks to his grace” (Lumen Gentium, no. 16).

This American Life 779

This is a story you really don't hear. Basically, the story-- there's this couple. He gets Alzheimer's. And, of course, so many of us know people with Alzheimer's. I feel like it's like watching somebody who you love-- I don't know-- just drift slowly off into space. The things that make them them get taken away, one after another.

And in this couple, the man, while he still had his wits about him, wanted some kind of assisted suicide before it got too late. And so his wife looks around and finds this place in Switzerland to go to. And what makes the book so special is that just-- I don't know-- the dailyness and realness of the way that his wife tells what that was like to go through.

And they're this interesting couple that you get to know. Very specific people going through this thing that-- honestly, for everybody I have known with dementia or Alzheimer's, I have never met anybody who made this particular choice. And you get to hear how that plays out. And it's very life-sized.
I come to GIAOT for the lulz, YOU TAKE THIS HEART-WRENCHING TALE SOMEWHERE ELSE PAL!

I never thought about death enough to fear it. I was always going to live forever.

Then I got a cancer diagnosis in my 30s and had to face my mortality for the first time ever. That changes you. Having said that, I only let myself get down about it for a day or so. Then said Ef this situation, no way cancer is going to beat me. The power of positive thinking is huge. Now after surgery and treatment I’m back to not really thinking about death again a few years later. I still get a bit of scanxiety every time I go in for a CT though, worried that they’re going to find it again.

Having my mom work with plenty of ALS patients, made me realize there are worse things than death. Not really interested in the alternative either but it's not the worse thing

That's not true, actually.

You should do more research. Feel free to be more accurate next time. :)

“Those also can attain to everlasting salvation who through no fault of their own do not know the gospel of Christ or his Church, yet sincerely seek God and, moved by grace, strive by their deeds to do his will as it is known to them through the dictates of conscience. Nor does divine Providence deny the help necessary for salvation to those who, without blame on their part, have not yet arrived at an explicit knowledge of God, but who strive to live a good life, thanks to his grace” (Lumen Gentium, no. 16).

That's an expected dodge but I'll let it go. Let's stipulate that this person KNOWS the stance of your religion but explicitly rejects it. No manner nor amount of saintly activity gets them into Heaven. Do you believe that?

• Haha
That's an expected dodge but I'll let it go. Let's stipulate that this person KNOWS the stance of your religion but explicitly rejects it. No manner nor amount of saintly activity gets them into Heaven. Do you believe that?

How is it a dodge??

You've never heard of "invincible ignorance?" It's like Theology 101. Beginner stuff. You made claims that weren't true.

If someone doesn't want to go to Heaven, of course, they won't be forced to. Forcing them would be a violation of free will.

Many, many atheists don't want to go to Heaven. I've talked to some myself, including a college professor I know who said "Heaven would be boring" and that he would prefer Hell.

Christopher Hitchens was another one.

How is it a dodge??

You've never heard of "invincible ignorance?" It's like Theology 101. Beginner stuff. You made claims that weren't true.

If someone doesn't want to go to Heaven, of course, they won't be forced to. Forcing them would be a violation of free will.

Many, many atheists don't want to go to Heaven. I've talked to some myself, including a college professor I know who said "Heaven would be boring" and that he would prefer Hell.

Christopher Hitchens was another one.

I know exactly what it is but we're not talking about isolated tribes in the Amazon jungle. No one said anything about forcing anything...you invented that. You continue to dodge because you don't want to state your belief. That's perfectly fine. It's a really simple question and if you don't want to answer it just say so rather than engaging in this charade.

• Haha
I know exactly what it is but we're not talking about isolated tribes in the Amazon jungle. No one said anything about forcing anything...you invented that. You continue to dodge because you don't want to state your belief. That's perfectly fine. It's a really simple question and if you don't want to answer it just say so rather than engaging in this charade.

😆 Are you trolling?

I just answered your question. Anyone that doesn't want to go to Heaven won't go there because of their free choice.

This American Life 779

Just listened to that, great episode.

You can't be serious.

I just gave you my personal belief.
No...you really didn't. You threw in a qualifier to provide cover. I never said "atheist". I never said they don't want to go to Heaven. You invented that whole thing to avoid the question. People can reject the idea of a three-headed god, the necessity of getting dribbled with water, even the idea that Jesus was divine...and still WANT to go to Heaven. I'm not going to ask again because you've made it abundantly clear that you don't wish to disclose your personal views. Perfectly ok but you should just say so.

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT