ADVERTISEMENT

Auburn coaches??? I just saw the replay of Bama's 4th down, very late 4th qtr TD; no pass rush??

uihawk82

HB All-American
Gold Member
Nov 17, 2021
Who are these coaches?? I can see a 3 man rush, maybe, but those players were not even rushing. The 3 man rush was containing, spying on the qb, what did they think that the bama qb was going to run it in from 30 yards out. Maybe bama's qb is a very good runner but my gosh.

That is so hard to guard those receivers for that long. It is so easy for a receiver at the back of the endzone to pop toward the goalline and get open or just run around and barely get open in the corner.

This reminds me of Colorado's last second hail mary at Mich like 3 decades ago where 3 man rush didnt put enough pressure on KStewart to keep him from setting and firing the long pass.

Did the Auburn coaches, do you think, tell their pass rushers to not even try to get to the qb?

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
My cousin is an Auburn grad. I was on the phone with him for the last play. He was watching on antenna (I have YouTubeTV.. good quality but always 30 seconds behind). Suddenly our call was disconnected. He had thrown and broken his phone. He thought the 3 man rush (he told me it was 2) was stupid (clean version). I'll probably not try to talk to him for a few days. He was still furious yesterday. A loss at home to Jerry Kill's NM St followed by choking on the last play to their hated rivals..... It's great to be a Hawkeye.

Who are these coaches?? I can see a 3 man rush, maybe, but those players were not even rushing. The 3 man rush was containing, spying on the qb, what did they think that the bama qb was going to run it in from 30 yards out. Maybe bama's qb is a very good runner but my gosh.

That is so hard to guard those receivers for that long. It is so easy for a receiver at the back of the endzone to pop toward the goalline and get open or just run around and barely get open in the corner.

This reminds me of Colorado's last second hail mary at Mich like 3 decades ago where 3 man rush didnt put enough pressure on KStewart to keep him from setting and firing the long pass.

Did the Auburn coaches, do you think, tell their pass rushers to not even try to get to the qb?
Actually wasn’t it a two man rush with the spy never rushing. As you pointed out the spy was useless.

Actually wasn’t it a two man rush with the spy never rushing. As you pointed out the spy was useless.
I watched a good chunk of the game and Auburn had been spying the qb the whole game. Makes sense for most of the game but 4th and goal from the 31? Makes zero sense Once he passes he LOS those 8 guys covering in the end zone can come up and make the tackle. They basically were playing 11 on 10.

One of the dumbest defensive calls you'll see. Do just your standard 4 man pass rush. MAYBE rush 3, but having a spy just stand there when the QB would have to run 31 yards?!? Dumb.

Reactions: nelly02
One of the dumbest defensive calls you'll see. Do just your standard 4 man pass rush. MAYBE rush 3, but having a spy just stand there when the QB would have to run 31 yards?!? Dumb.
I totally agree but that spy did a great job covering the qb run from 10 yards away. I agree that a really strong 3 man rush with your best, fast DEnds is the best.

Have you ever seen a qb tuck the ball and pass it while it is tucked. A very agressive pass rush with 3 or maybe 4 makes that qb have to escape and try to throw on the run.

Who is the head coach and DCoord at Auburn?? I wonder if they will still be there in a week?

My other ? is why not play everyone in zone coverage across the back with eyes on the QB instead of chasing a receiver. The throw would end up being about 40 yards which would give multiple defenders time to react to the ball. Certainly seems like poor coaching decision.

Absolute stupidity on Auburns part. You need to send enough pressure to make the QB uncomfortable. They had 9 defenders against 5 receivers and Bama still managed to get a one on one mismatch in the corner of the end zone.

In a situation like this you might not know who the intended receiver will be, but you damn sure know who's going to throw the pass... You pressure the quarterback.

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
Yep. You HAVE to get pressure in that situation. You could actually justify bringing 5 and dropping 6 into a zone. If the QB is getting pressure and has to get rid of it to avoid a sack, the chance of a TD pass drops to just about zero. Milroy is a great runner but he isn’t going it rush for a TD in that situation. The ONE thing you CAN’T do in that situation is give the QB 10 seconds to find an open receiver in the end zone.

Absolutely mystifying that the Auburn staff thought rushing 2 and using a spy was a good idea. You never want a coach to lose his job over one play, but that’s the kind of stuff that will get a coach fired. Their DC has to be feeling a lot of heat today.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT