ADVERTISEMENT

Austin DeSanto Granted Release

Do you realize Yianni, McKenna and Eierman are all back next season? Now, they obviously don't need DeSanto at 141, but do they really even need him at 133? With Teske, Teasedale and RBY all coming in this year, he could be used as a stop gap this year, but a log jam ensues, even with DeSanto still having a redshirt to use.

If Cael stock piles four blue chippers ar 133, his odds of "developing" one improve drastically. I mean one of them is bound to work out - right? And, none of these recruits has won a world championship so they're relatively high risk recruits for Cael.

No kidding. I question if the strategy is more about addition by subtraction, meaning, it is a win win for Cael if the kid comes to PSU and never starts because he won't be wrestling for Iowa either.
Iowa is the biggest threat to PSU the next 2 years and moving forward beyond that. Brands has seen the light on recruiting and it is going to be Iowa vs PSU battling it out over the foreseeable future. Iowa has it's own style and if they stay on the trajectory they are on is going to attract a lot of great recruits. To me tOSU is a worse version of PSU. Fun > Positive Infinity. If Brands starts getting the horses PSU and tOSU have been getting Iowa will win consistently vs PSU. Cael is going to do everything he can to not let this happen.

Iowa is the biggest threat to PSU the next 2 years and moving forward beyond that. Brands has seen the light on recruiting and it is going to be Iowa vs PSU battling it out over the foreseeable future. Iowa has it's own style and if they stay on the trajectory they are on is going to attract a lot of great recruits. To me tOSU is a worse version of PSU. Fun > Positive Infinity. If Brands starts getting the horses PSU and tOSU have been getting Iowa will win consistently vs PSU. Cael is going to do everything he can to not let this happen.
Iowa's best recruiter just won a national title.

I wouldn't doubt if part of Cael's pitch was putting a bug in Austins ear that he should be moving up and wrestling 141. Telling him Lee will be moving up, which I don't see. If he gets him to buy in great. If not he makes him question the idea of going to Iowa and being a 133lber.

Reactions: IRONBIRD
more punishment from the baler for taking spencer from him, thing is it would really be low to play that kind of game with this kid.

If Cael stock piles four blue chippers ar 133, his odds of "developing" one improve drastically. I mean one of them is bound to work out - right? And, none of these recruits has won a world championship so they're relatively high risk recruits for Cael.

Whereas the Brands Bros can take a no-account piker like Spencer Lee and coach him up into a national champ!

Whereas the Brands Bros can take a no-account piker like Spencer Lee and coach him up into a national champ!

Our guy is not even a top ten p4p and was included in the field vs. Cruz, NATO, or Suriano...not one media expert from Flo picked him IIRC. Plus, only a state runner up coming out of high school. Folks said he was too injured, not big enough, gas tank issues.

Our guy is not even a top ten p4p and was included in the field vs. Cruz, NATO, or Suriano...not one media expert from Flo picked him IIRC. Plus, only a state runner up coming out of high school. Folks said he was too injured, not big enough, gas tank issues.
But now he is a once in a generation talent that any coach would have won with. It's amazing how one minute, he is not good enough to win and next he should have won anyways. Ugh, if anti-iowa fans could only have it both ways.

Anyone know, if he doesn't go to Iowa do we have other options besides the weight cut scenario?

Cael really coached up Carson Kuhn !

Good point. The hypocrisy of some of our PSU visitors in full display.

Cael gets a few guys who were not HS phenoms and world champs and behold....they struggle and don't end up as ncaa champs or AA's (e.g. Kuhn, Keener).

The PSU recruits who are already best in their HS weight, and in some cases, best in the world, seem to do well at ncaa's.

All hail Cael. Right.

Seriously, the Cael hate on here is the most unbearable thing to read. It clearly comes from a place of complete and total envy.

It is his job to put together the best wrestling team that he can. He has done a pretty good job of doing that. He handles himself with nothing but class. Those of you that choose to hate him won't be changing your minds, but, the sour grapes are clear.

I actually love the Brands brothers. They are entertaining, emotional and wear their heart on their sleeves. I was impressed that when Stoll gave an after the match shove, Tom was pointing at him to either go shake the opponents / coaches hand and apologize. Stoll did not listen, but, I was impressed that Brands tried to get him to do the right thing.

Cael and Brands are both phenomenal coaches, and the fact that they have completely opposite personalities shows how awesome this sport is. It takes all kinds and success doesn't come from one style.

As for DeSanto. I was extremely unhappy with actions at NCAA's, but, he is a young kid, who it seems does deal with some type of condition. I'm hoping he succeeds wherever he ends up. I don't see PSU as a viable option with the other wrestlers on their way. Iowa makes a lot of sense if he goes 133. If that happens, I'll wish him nothing but the best (obviously, except against PSU).

Personally, I'd rather the battle be between us and Iowa than us and tOSU. I have respect for Iowa wrestling. I don't dislike or hate Tom Ryan, but, he does some pretty weak whining, both on the mat and on Twitter.

Just my $.02

Last edited:
Here's the link...first period and last minute of last period are pretty entertaining. Micic always in control.

Just such a weird match all the way through. What was with the right side collar tie that he wouldn't let go of even when he needed to score? It was just odd. The kid clearly has some issues that I don't think coaching is going to help. Just have to manage it as best as possible and hope to limit the blowups.

Reactions: sabula
Seriously, the Cael hate on here is the most unbearable thing to read. It clearly comes from a place of complete and total envy.

It is his job to put together the best wrestling team that he can. He has done a pretty good job of doing that. He handles himself with nothing but class. Those of you that choose to hate him won't be changing your minds, but, the sour grapes are clear.

I actually love the Brands brothers. They are entertaining, emotional and wear their hear on their sleeves. I was impressed that when Stool gave an after the match shove, Tom was pointing at him to either go shake the opponents / coaches hand and apologize. Stoll did not listen, but, I was impressed that Brands tried to get him to do the right thing.

Cael and Brands are both phenomenal coaches, and the fact that they have completely opposite personalities shows how awesome this sport is. It takes all kinds and success doesn't come from one style.

As for DeSanto. I was extremely unhappy with actions at NCAA's, but, he is a young kid, who it seems does deal with some type of condition. I'm hoping he succeeds wherever he ends up. I don't see PSU as a viable option with the other wrestlers on their way. Iowa makes a lot of sense if he goes 133. If that happens, I'll wish him nothing but the best (obviously, except against PSU).

Personally, I'd rather the battle be between us and Iowa than us and tOSU. I have respect for Iowa wrestling. I don't dislike or hate Tom Ryan, but, he does some pretty weak whining, both on the mat and on Twitter.

Just my $.02
The only envy on this board are the Penn State fans who won't go to their own board. Don't hate because we have the best fans in the planet. If it's so unbearable, bye.

I actually love the Brands brothers. They are entertaining, emotional and wear their hear on their sleeves. I was impressed that when Stool gave an after the match shove, Tom was pointing at him to either go shake the opponents / coaches hand and apologize. Stoll did not listen, but, I was impressed that Brands tried to get him to do the right thing.

Just my $.02

You are over charging for your $.02. It really wasn't worth that much. Maybe stick to the PSU board of you don't like Carl hate?

I was impressed that when David Taylor had his meltdown at the WTT's in Lincoln and Cael threw a chair on the mat and said some naughty words that he didn't punch anyone.

Just my $.02

Just for the sake of accuracy, Cael's been on the sh*t-list here in Iowa since he dumped all over ISU and Bobby Douglas - this was years before he invented wrestling in Happy Valley. Also, the Andrew Long incident didn't do much for his reputation here. So, it's not just envy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT