ADVERTISEMENT

Ava Jones & her family updates

Just a reminder that Ava's right shoulder needs surgery (dislocated AC joint) and as she put it her "cavical is basically broken." Amazing that she is even able to try to dribble with right arm!

Thanks for the update. So, she needs 2 reconstructive knee surgeries and a shoulder surgery yet. So incredibly sad.

This is from Oct 28.

FgLwDSBWQAAJC9q

Reactions: IAGuy
Good story from today.

A few things stood out:

* Ava struggles to recall committing to Iowa after sustaining a traumatic brain injury in the crash that affected her frontal lobe.

* At a pretrial hearing on July 14, police said the video evidence from the street camera showed the driver high on drugs drove for about 30 yards before coming to a stop, and he didn’t get out of the car immediately to check on the victims. In fact, he barely made an effort to help.

* Once a neurologist clears Ava to be able to handle the anesthesia, she’ll undergo separate surgeries on her knees and then a surgery on her shoulder. They’re hoping to get it done within the coming weeks.

* As for Amy, the road to recovery is equally as uncertain. She’s still unable to walk and will require a major surgery on her leg — a bone graft on her tibia that’s yet to fully heal. Doctors also plan to remove the metal rod in her leg that is festering bacteria, and she expects a six-month recovery period. Following that, she’ll undergo surgery on the ACL and LCL in her other leg before working on her damaged arm, allowing her to touch her head again.

* Lisa Bluder: “I just think the minute she walks out on the floor — and I don’t know when that’ll be — but the minute she does, I don’t think there’ll be a dry eye in Carver Hawkeye Arena.”

The Full Story:

Reactions: DougERot
"I want to play basketball again. Hopefully, I'll be able to, but I don't know. But even if I'm not able to, I will still be around the team. I love the Iowa team and the coaches.

"The support I've gotten from everyone has given me even more momentum to get better. I feel like my dad was with me today, because this was his dream, too. This was our goal together."

"Ava and I talk every couple days," Jan Jensen said. "As her brain started to heal, it was a very good thing, but also a difficult thing when she began to fully realize the loss of her father. I knew there would be this big void that Trey wasn't there today. But in talking with her, she knew this moment was something they had all been working for.

"I would not bet against her after what that family's been through, with that resolve they have shown. There have been lumps in our throats today with this signing; we're beyond thrilled."

"I could give up, but I'm really just not that type of person," Ava said. "And my dad was not that way, either. I don't know any other way but to keep going. So maybe it's just in my DNA."

The story from ESPN:

Last edited:
First off I would like to commend coach Bluder on keeping Ava in the Hawkeye family. I do have a question for Kyle or Tom or Blair. KF did something similar with Michael Lois a couple of years back and Honored his full ride even though I don't believe he will ever be medically cleared from his spinal injury in high school. My understanding was that is ride is not counting against the schools allotment but is in some special medical waver. Will Ava's scholarship count against the teams total? (I don't care if it does or not, its the right thing to do), but I'm curious how this works.

First off I would like to commend coach Bluder on keeping Ava in the Hawkeye family. I do have a question for Kyle or Tom or Blair. KF did something similar with Michael Lois a couple of years back and Honored his full ride even though I don't believe he will ever be medically cleared from his spinal injury in high school. My understanding was that is ride is not counting against the schools allotment but is in some special medical waver. Will Ava's scholarship count against the teams total? (I don't care if it does or not, its the right thing to do), but I'm curious how this works.
Someone on HR said previously that if you start out on medical status, then decide you can play after all, that you can’t go back on medical status if it doesn’t work out. You would always count thereafter.

Reactions: BGHAWK
Someone on HR said previously that if you start out on medical status, then decide you can play after all, that you can’t go back on medical status if it doesn’t work out. You would always count thereafter.

I would hope there could be an exception on this one.

I have no doubt if Ava gets to a point where she and coach Bluder agree that she can suit up, there will be no going back anyway. She's a determined young lady.....

Reactions: Pawkhawk1

If she goes on medical status at Iowa she is not allowed to suit up for Iowa if her health improves enough to play.

It’s both inspiring and incredibly difficult to read about her journey. We all put ourselves in that situation and ask ourselves “what if?”

The community will continue to rally around Ava and her family as she slowly recovers. She may never play basketball competitively again but her role of inspiring others to greatness, to never give up, may be a far greater legacy than if she was an All American at Iowa.

I hope the Driver of the Vehicle never sees 1 free Day outside Prison walls once convicted
I have very bad deep dark thoughts on what I'd like to do to that person.
If I thought those kinds of actions would stop others from causing these kinds of tragedies I would be in a lot of trouble.
God never said life is fair nor easy but when others ruin the lives of others for no reason there is a special place in hell for most of them. The door is always open to wake up and see the light.

I have very bad deep dark thoughts on what I'd like to do to that person.
If I thought those kinds of actions would stop others from causing these kinds of tragedies I would be in a lot of trouble.
God never said life is fair nor easy but when others ruin the lives of others for no reason there is a special place in hell for most of them. The door is always open to wake up and see the light.
I hear ya. It's been said likely many times, but as Denzel said in a movie "forgiveness is between them and God. I'm going to arrange the meeting".

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT