ADVERTISEMENT

B1G 7-1

And I hate ND so biased I admit. But hypothetical. Who gets in Wisconsin undefeated Big 10 champ or undefeated ND if the other 3 spots are filled?

Depends on schedule and narrative. This year's Wisky doesn't get in. Last year's team that beat LSU might, don't remember the ND narrative.

I get the narrative which is why I want force their hand and ND's. I used Wisconsin and could have used Iowa or Nebraska. I know the committee won't take ND over Ohio St or Michigan conference champ with same record. But if Wisconsin has a loss to OSU, but avenges it in the Big 10 championship and say ND loses to a Stanford but beats USC. So undefeated Alabama, undefeated Clemson, undefeated Stanford, so Wisconsin with 1 loss to Ohio St and ND 1 loss to USC but Wisconsin is conference champ. Who would get in? If it is ND them there is a serious problem since their arrogance and inability to be in a conference to make sure no back to back road games, etc would be exposed. Everybody talks about ND and their SOS. They never play true back to back road games. And generally have a cupcake before big games. Joke.

Reactions: DogBoyRy
I agree with you. I thought Stanford would whip them. They were, in fact, and then they just ... I don't know how they choked. They just stopped playing and TCU got fired up. Bryce Love looked like he wore down, too. That was the one matchup for the PAC12 that looked like a sure thing to me. I'm thrilled, personally, because I had no money on the game. Love seeing Stanford fall flat. And I REALLY love watching the Pac12 tank.
TCU has big play capabilities at the skill positions. That's what happened.

Reactions: Eternal Return
TCU has big play capabilities at the skill positions. That's what happened.

That and Bryce Love was clearly worn down. He was Stanford's big play capability and no one else on offense seemed capable of doing much. I'm still surprised, though, given what I thought about he teams going into the game. Then again, I didn't realize the PAC12 was as bad as it was. I didn't they were good, but I didn't realize they were atrocious. I love it, though.

Somehow Alabama’s strength of schedule was #4 last night and Ohio States was #7. Where the hell is espn pulling these numbers from.
According to ESPN....they do. That's because ESPN starts the season with 9 or 10 SEC teams in their top 25. That way every win = quality win and every loss = not a bad loss. Their SEC bullshit bias is why I don't watch that network any longer. It's pure trash.

I understand comparing Ohio State getting into the playoffs last year to Alabama getting in this year. They are similar in the fact that they both did not win their conference but got into the playoffs.

However, the glaring difference is that Ohio State got in at the expense of another team from the same conference. The problem with Alabama getting in this year is that 2 teams from the same conference took up 2 spots and 2 power conferences were omitted. Out of the two scenarios, Alabama getting in this year seems worst.

And this is exactly why the playoff is just as much of a joke as the BCS, if not more so. If you are one of the annointed “eye test” teams hyped by the media, you don’t have to earn it on the field. OSU didn’t earn it last year, and Alabama didn’t earn it this year. Conference championships mean jack shit under this setup. If you lose it’s held against you, and if you win you get zero credit.

No system is going to be perfect. Both Ohio State, Alabama, and Wisconsin had less than perfect resumes this year. No matter what the committee did, people were going to be upset.

It's not an exact science. You can be butthurt all you want about whom the committee selected, but to think there is a logical basis for outrage that Ohio State didn't make it this year is silly. Alabama was rated #1 all year until losing the final game of the season to a Top 10 team. To say they didn't earn it in comparison to Ohio State is ridiculous. Both Alabama and Ohio State had one conference loss this year. Alabama's was a loss to a Top 10 team; Ohio State's was a 30 point drubbing to an unrated team. The difference is Ohio State played in the B1G East and not the SEC West.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
That is absolutely the reason they didn't make the CFP.

Funny, Ohio State got the benefit last year of making the CFP despite not winning the conference and losing head to head against the conference champion (Penn State). This year, though, being on the other end of it, it's now a problem?
Last year Ohio State beat a top ten team(Oklahoma) on the road badly. Their only loss was on a fluky field goal block at the end on the road to the eventual BIG champions who they looked better than. They beat a top four Michigan to end their season.

Alabama has not beaten a team with fewer than four losses. They were beaten by a three loss non SEC champion on the road decisively .

While they may prove belonging, they are not comparable at the moment to Ohio State before their game against Clemson last year.

They own a reputation based off a past they earned. This team has proven nothing so far, Wisconsin may not belong but then again they may. None of us know, it's all speculation and opinions at this point. Alabama has one thing Wisconsin does not and it has nothing to do with what each team has done this year.....perception based off past years.

I understand comparing Ohio State getting into the playoffs last year to Alabama getting in this year. They are similar in the fact that they both did not win their conference but got into the playoffs.

However, the glaring difference is that Ohio State got in at the expense of another team from the same conference. The problem with Alabama getting in this year is that 2 teams from the same conference took up 2 spots and 2 power conferences were omitted. Out of the two scenarios, Alabama getting in this year seems worst.

You hit the nail on the head--seems worse.

Ohio State has no one to blame but themselves. After they got smoked by Iowa, every one was okay with the idea they wouldn't make the playoffs (including Iowa fans) and it was commonly accepted they were out of contention. Alabama loses one game, gets in ahead of Ohio State, and all the sudden it's a problem. Makes no sense.

But but but but...Ohio State won their conference! And? USC won the Pac 12. Did they deserve to go? What if Stanford had won instead? Or what if TCU had won the Big XII championship? I just don't understand how some Iowa fans can be this obtuse. Yes, we get it, you hate Alabama and think everything is biased toward the SEC. Sorry, but there was no other choice this year at #4 besides Alabama. Ohio State, USC, Wisconsin, or anyone else in consideration did not have a better resume.

Bowl games are all about matchups which is one oft he big reasons Iowa has trouble. Since we usually bring a lot of fans we get selected up many times. I do disagree with the motivation aspect. These kids work all year to go bowling and believe me no matter where they go playing hard isn

Last year Ohio State beat a top ten team(Oklahoma) on the road badly. Their only loss was on a fluky field goal block at the end on the road to the eventual BIG champions who they looked better than. They beat a top four Michigan to end their season.

Alabama has not beaten a team with fewer than four losses. They were beaten by a three loss non SEC champion on the road decisively .

While they may prove belonging, they are not comparable at the moment to Ohio State before their game against Clemson last year.

They own a reputation based off a past they earned. This team has proven nothing so far, Wisconsin may not belong but then again they may. None of us know, it's all speculation and opinions at this point. Alabama has one thing Wisconsin does not and it has nothing to do with what each team has done this year.....perception based off past years.

I agree Ohio State deserved to be in last year. I also agree Alabama's resume is flawed this year.

BUT, again, this is a classic case of selectively highlighting the worst parts of Alabama's resume while ignoring the obvious flaws in Ohio State's (or whomever one thinks should be in ahead of Bama). Alabama lost on the road to Top 10 Auburn by 12 points. Ohio State lost to unranked Iowa on the road by 31.

Whether the committee is influenced by perception from past years is irrelevant. Neither Wisconsin nor Ohio State has any case that their resume is better than Alabama's. Keep in mind, too, that Alabama opened the season against #3 Florida State and won. Had FSU's QB not gone down for the season, who knows how FSU's season would have gone. You can't fault Bama for that. They scheduled a Top 5 team to open the season.

I agree Ohio State deserved to be in last year. I also agree Alabama's resume is flawed this year.

BUT, again, this is a classic case of selectively highlighting the worst parts of Alabama's resume while ignoring the obvious flaws in Ohio State's (or whomever one thinks should be in ahead of Bama). Alabama lost on the road to Top 10 Auburn by 12 points. Ohio State lost to unranked Iowa on the road by 31.

Whether the committee is influenced by perception from past years is irrelevant. Neither Wisconsin nor Ohio State has any case that their resume is better than Alabama's. Keep in mind, too, that Alabama opened the season against #3 Florida State and won. Had FSU's QB not gone down for the season, who knows how FSU's season would have gone. You can't fault Bama for that. They scheduled a Top 5 team to open the season.

I was only referencing your argument about Ohio State getting in last year as a reason Alabama should have gotten in this year. Alabama didn't even win their division like Ohio State last year but that's where the resumes stop being comparable.

Like I said it's all speculation and opinion based when no team is a clear cut favorite. Unlike last year where Ohio State got the nod over a two loss conference champion in Penn State I don't think Alabama had built up the credit to get in over two major conference champions. That is my main point of contention with Alabama.

I don't think Ohio State was a viable option but at least they won their division and their conference.

Alabama may have scheduled a top five team but that team didn't win it's conference like Oklahoma did so it's still not a great win.

It's my belief that a National Title playoff should not leave out two major conference champions and put in a team that has not proven a thing in.

I see your point and I see the merits, I just don't think Alabama should have gotten in. Like you said all teams had major flaws in their resumes. Had Alabama lost on a fluky circumstance to Auburn or had Auburn won the SEC I think I would feel diferentially about their inclusion.

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
I guess since this is a major point and still flawed the four team playoff is better than the BCS but still far off.

What if we have five undefeated P5 champions next year?

It is ridiculous, especially about USC not being very good. So far, the B1G elites have blown out their opponents. In years past, it seems the opposite has occurred, and of course all the "experts" say that is evidence of the B1G not being very good. Go figure.

For the first time in years Big 10 teams are playing at the level they are supposed to be (and SEC teams are not). Of course, suddenly that fact will be brought front and center now by ESPN.

Brock Huard said near the end of OSU's dominance of USC that the Big Ten was dominating big time, and that the Pac12 can't compete with the Big Ten.
He said it...but he didn't want to say it. You could see him struggle to come up with some way to word it, to not trash the PAC 12.

Ya, B1G appears to be playing with a chip on their shoulder for not being in the CFP, and impressive.

But since they are not in the CFP they have a matchup advantage over competition and have been favored in most of the games. Still impressive.

This is what xactly the thing that has worked against the B1G for so many years. Time and time again the B1G would have 2 teams in bcs games leaving everyone else to play up a level or 2. No one would ever come to the rescue of the big ten and mention this. OTOH, they had no problem pointing out how down the big ten was.

This is what xactly the thing that has worked against the B1G for so many years. Time and time again the B1G would have 2 teams in bcs games leaving everyone else to play up a level or 2. No one would ever come to the rescue of the big ten and mention this. OTOH, they had no problem pointing out how down the big ten was.

Yepper.

No playoff team is the chief reason for what we're seeing. That and while the conference wasn't great at the top, it was strong 1 thru 8 in comparison to other conferences.

Bingo. The B1G traditionally plays "up" to tougher competition. Iowa, for example, is almost always an underdog in bowl games because the fans travel well. It's fun to play tough competition, except when the Hawks lose.

What’s the PAC 12’s excuse?

Ya, B1G appears to be playing with a chip on their shoulder for not being in the CFP, and impressive.

But since they are not in the CFP they have a matchup advantage over competition and have been favored in most of the games. Still impressive.
pre bowl-
OSU conf champ 8-1 USC con champ 8-1 both 11-2
PSU 7-2 WA 7-2 both 10-2
MSU 7-2 WS 6-3 both 9-3
IA 4-5 BC 4-4 both 7-5
PU 4-5 AZ 5-4 az better overall record
NW KY ----this is the only game b1g had an advantage.....and this was a game vs KY played in TN which is clearly closer.

WHERE IS THIS GREAT ADVANTAGE?
Is the advantage that we didn't get screwed playing FL in FL, TX in TX and CA teams in CA all bowl season?

Didn't tcu and tx both play in state for their wins?

pre bowl-
OSU conf champ 8-1 USC con champ 8-1 both 11-2
PSU 7-2 WA 7-2 both 10-2
MSU 7-2 WS 6-3 both 9-3
IA 4-5 BC 4-4 both 7-5
PU 4-5 AZ 5-4 az better overall record
NW KY ----this is the only game b1g had an advantage.....and this was a game vs KY played in TN which is clearly closer.

WHERE IS THIS GREAT ADVANTAGE?
Is the advantage that we didn't get screwed playing FL in FL, TX in TX and CA teams in CA all bowl season?

Didn't tcu and tx both play in state for their wins?
Ya just noting that vegas had b1g favored in 7 of 8 games; if tosu in the playoffs, everyone moves up a rung and that likely changes. Regardless, impressive bowl record.

Ya just noting that vegas had b1g favored in 7 of 8 games; if tosu in the playoffs, everyone moves up a rung and that likely changes. Regardless, impressive bowl record.
You were shown the side by side records of the match ups. Which shows that every match up is nearly identical. And your response is to add more evidence that the BIG is the best conference from top to bottom, in spite of the match up records? .....Ok.

Reactions: H4wkfan4life
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT