ADVERTISEMENT

B1G 7-1

Ya, clearly West Virginia is not like Northwestern or Iowa State and plug in another QB :) If I recall though, Northwestern (9-3) did have a favorable matchup against a Kentucky (7-5) team

Utah was 6-6 and riding a 4 game losing streak before they finally got to play a B12 team, was that not a favorable enough matchup for West Virginia? Probably wish they would have got an American Conference teams like a lot of other B12 teams got to play, didn't even have to face a power conference team. Kansas St played a favorable matchup against a 6-6 UCLA team minus their best player, so again that one definitely shouldn't count.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Naw, let's look at overall conference records against each other. B10 wins there. Record against other power conferences, B10 is 14-5, the second best is the B12 at a very distant 8-7. You're out of your element here Nellie, get back to CF where you can live in a fantasy world where facts don't matter.

Ya, hold on there 33, I like data, and overall I like:
1.. SEC
2. B1G
3. Big12
4. Pac12
5. ACC

But your Alpha is not an Alpha when gets beat by OK (16), Iowa (31) and Clemson last year (31). :)

I honestly didn't realize how weak of bowl matchups the B12 had until looking it up after Nellie's post, you can't get a much softer slate than that.

Ya, everyone thinks OK should be in the CFP, so you are in the vast minority :)

4 years in and the B12 still looking to win a single playoff game.

Plus we aren't talking about the CFP, we're talking about your stupid Alpha terminology.

Ya agree, B1G has had a good showing, but the following also need to be kept in mind:

* 4/8 matchups against Pac12 teams (Pac12 has worst bowl record)
* 7/8 matchups - favored by Vegas
* 1 matchup against SEC (9-3 Northwestern against 7-5 Kentucky)
* 0 matchups against Big12 (Big 12 5-2 bowl record; 80% of teams in bowls)

The way the bowl season has played could, provides support that B1G in top tier and Pac12 in bottom tier of conferences.

I'm not sure what argument you're trying to strengthen by listing those very arbitrary, mostly meaningless points. That the B1G going 7-0 so far isn't impressive? None of the points you raised have much relevance to affirming or discrediting the B1G's bowl performance so far.

The only real point that could be raised is that since the B1G does not have a team in the CFP B1G teams did not move up to bigger bowls like previous years. However, the match ups on paper were about as even as you can get. The B1G champ (Ohio State) played the Pac-12 champ (USC). PSU, the 3rd best team in the B1G East, played Washington, the 2nd best team in the Pac North. MSU and WSU were #18 and #21 respectively. Wisconsin, the B1G runner up, beat the ACC's runner up, Miami.

When the B1G has been on the opposite end of that in other years, where they are the underdog on paper, it means the Pac 12 is strong and the B1G is weak (i.e. Stanford vs Iowa). Now that the B1G has dominated, though, it's not because they are good, it's because the competition is weak. Makes absolutely no sense. The B1G teams had a slight advantage on paper in terms of rankings this year because they simply were better. End of story. Let's have some consistency in rationale, please.

Oh, and your last point about the B1G not playing any Big XII teams as a way of diminishing their bowl record is the most laughable of all. You talk about the Pac-12 being weak and imply the Big XII is so strong, yet their 2nd best team (TCU) barely beat the Pac-12's 2nd best team. Furthermore, the Big XII's 3rd best team (OSU) beat probably the ACC's 4th best team by 9. So, how in the world is the Big XII the measuring stick based upon that?

Oh, and yes, the Big XII had 80% of their teams get in because they have 10 teams in their conference. The B1G got 8 teams in, too, genius. Lol. Nothing personal, man, but your attempt to discredit the B1G was weak as hell and easily countered.

Reactions: 33hawkfan
I'm not sure what argument you're trying to strengthen by listing those very arbitrary, mostly meaningless points. That the B1G going 7-0 so far isn't impressive? None of the points you raised have much relevance to affirming or discrediting the B1G's bowl performance so far.

The only real point that could be raised is that since the B1G does not have a team in the CFP B1G teams did not move up to bigger bowls like previous years. However, the match ups on paper were about as even as you can get. The B1G champ (Ohio State) played the Pac-12 champ (USC). PSU, the 3rd best team in the B1G East, played Washington, the 2nd best team in the Pac North. MSU and WSU were #18 and #21 respectively. Wisconsin, the B1G runner up, beat the ACC's runner up, Miami.

When the B1G has been on the opposite end of that in other years, where they are the underdog on paper, it means the Pac 12 is strong and the B1G is weak (i.e. Stanford vs Iowa). Now that the B1G has dominated, though, it's not because they are good, it's because the competition is weak. Makes absolutely no sense. The B1G teams had a slight advantage on paper in terms of rankings this year because they simply were better. End of story. Let's have some consistency in rationale, please.

Oh, and your last point about the B1G not playing any Big XII teams as a way of diminishing their bowl record is the most laughable of all. You talk about the Pac-12 being weak and imply the Big XII is so strong, yet their 2nd best team (TCU) barely beat the Pac-12's 2nd best team. Furthermore, the Big XII's 3rd best team (OSU) beat probably the ACC's 4th best team by 9. So, how in the world is the Big XII the measuring stick based upon that?

Oh, and yes, the Big XII had 80% of their teams get in because they have 10 teams in their conference. The B1G got 8 teams in, too, genius. Lol. Nothing personal, man, but your attempt to discredit the B1G was weak as hell and easily countered.

Well put. He's not a very smart guy obviously and really reaching here. I'm done with wasting any time on him.

Good post but until ISU gets their own message board we are stuck with em

Reactions: ScoutRefugee
Ya, West Virginia starting QB missed the last 3 games of the season with a dislocated finger and did not play in loss to Utah. Otherwise, Big 12 would be 6-1. :)

Lol. Yep, the Big XII would be 6-1 if it wasn't for the Mountaineers running into the mighty Utes of Utah. Helps, too, when your best team (not in the CFP) gets to play a lowly 2nd place Pac-12 team and your 3rd best team gets to play the 4th best team in the ACC. Clearly, the Big XII is flexing its muscles. ;)

Oh, and they got 80% of their teams in, unlike the sorry B1G 10 who only managed to get 8 teams in. :rolleyes:

Reactions: WhoaNellieCy

Ya, just trying to add some perspective to the B1G record on a rival's board which, which is like poking the bear, :)

I have said it was "Impressive" at least 3 times. But,there is no denying that that they have had favorable matchups due to OSU not in the CFP. Everyone agrees with this.

So impressive accomplishment? Absolutely. Validation they are the top conference and better than the SEC? No.

Ya, just trying to add some perspective to the B1G record on a rival's board which, which is like poking the bear, :)

I have said it was "Impressive" at least 3 times. But,there is no denying that that they have had favorable matchups due to OSU not in the CFP. Everyone agrees with this.

So impressive accomplishment? Absolutely. Validation they are the top conference and better than the SEC? No.

Thanks for your backhanded compliments. The Big 12 has had a good bowl season too if you ignore playing non power 5 teams. I think the 3rd best record in the bowl season. Almost forgot, it was impressive (x3) Maybe not SEC/Big 10 worthy but still solid.:cool:

Yes, you come into hostile territory, you better expect a little crap being flipped back. ;)

Yes, on paper, they were slight favorites. That's what they earned throughout the season. You play your best teams against other conferences best teams. That's how it works. It validates they are in fact better, which should be an obvious, incontrovertible point.

We'll see how the rest of the bowls play out as far as who has a stronger showing, SEC or B1G. If both Georgia and Alabama win tomorrow, pretty hard to argue against them having the stronger conference. Right now, there's too much football left to be played to try to speculate one way or the other which conference is stronger.

Oh, and just so we're clear, yes, you can come in trying to poke the bear, but you better get on my level or prepare to get mauled. ;)

Yes, you come into hostile territory, you better expect a little crap being flipped back. ;)

Yes, on paper, they were slight favorites. That's what they earned throughout the season. You play your best teams against other conferences best teams. That's how it works. It validates they are in fact better, which should be an obvious, incontrovertible point.

We'll see how the rest of the bowls play out as far as who has a stronger showing, SEC or B1G. If both Georgia and Alabama win tomorrow, pretty hard to argue against them having the stronger conference. Right now, there's too much football left to be played to try to speculate one way or the other which conference is stronger.

Oh, and just so we're clear, yes, you can come in trying to poke the bear, but you better get on my level or prepare to get mauled. ;)

Ya, of course, would have it no other way :)

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
So your saying they had plenty of time to get another QB ready? Northwestern lost Thorson early in the bowl game and still won.;)
The official threw out the opponent's best player for no reason. Delaney have a part in that? :)

Don't confuse this post for me caring.

What do you think is a reasonable expectation next year? I don't know what Wisconsin has returning but I don't think they will fall off the map. Nebraska has some talent but we don't know how fast Frost can implement his culture. Who knows how good Northwestern or Purdue will be but each surprised this year and the boat rowers are "elite".
It's all in how people define reasonable. To some, reasonable is 10+ wins every year just because. You are right Wisconsin will not fall off the map, they will lose a couple guys early but Iowa will lose Jackson. I would be very disappointed if Iowa isn't at least in contention for the West title the last few weeks of the season. September will tell a lot. Northern Illinois is a quality MAC opponent, then Iowa State and UNI (which will play Iowa well). Then Wisconsin. The toughest game to win is likely at Penn State. Lions return a lot but likely no Barkley. Long-winded way of saying the toughest opponents (other than PSU) are at home (Wisky, Northwestern, but so much depends on injuries. But having Indiana, Maryland and PSU is much different crossovers than @MSU, PSU and OSU.

Reactions: PlutoDroid
It's all in how people define reasonable. To some, reasonable is 10+ wins every year just because. You are right Wisconsin will not fall off the map, they will lose a couple guys early but Iowa will lose Jackson. I would be very disappointed if Iowa isn't at least in contention for the West title the last few weeks of the season. September will tell a lot. Northern Illinois is a quality MAC opponent, then Iowa State and UNI (which will play Iowa well). Then Wisconsin. The toughest game to win is likely at Penn State. Lions return a lot but likely no Barkley. Long-winded way of saying the toughest opponents (other than PSU) are at home (Wisky, Northwestern, but so much depends on injuries. But having Indiana, Maryland and PSU is much different crossovers than @MSU, PSU and OSU.

Penn St is going to be tough next year but it will be better to play them next year and get them off the schedule for a few years. Franklin is pulling in some serious dudes.

The official threw out the opponent's best player for no reason. Delaney have a part in that? :)

Don't confuse this post for me caring.
Sure Delaney had something to do with Pac 12 refs throwing guys out. I'm not confusing this post for caring...but thinking...well maybe that.;)

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
If Mich loses it might be time to demote them to the Big12.
Ya, you could do that. The other easier option is to move them to the B1G West and have Wisconsin move to the B1G East in the "Big Boys" division; (OR) move Iowa,Minnesota, Nebraska, or Purdue to the B1G East and even out the divisions. lol

Thanks for your backhanded compliments. The Big 12 has had a good bowl season too if you ignore playing non power 5 teams. I think the 3rd best record in the bowl season. Almost forgot, it was impressive (x3) Maybe not SEC/Big 10 worthy but still solid.:cool:
Ya, don't make me bring about last year when B1G went 3-7 in the bowl season and Ohio State got lit up by Clemson 31-0. Pairings do matter :)

Surely you agree there can be good non-Power 5 teams, and bad Power 5 teams? :) What would the thinking be if Iowa beat Memphis? Sagarin has Memphis ranked higher than Boston College. Just sayin lol

Ya, don't make me bring about last year when B1G went 3-7 in the bowl season and Ohio State got lit up by Clemson 31-0. Pairings do matter :)

Surely you agree there can be good non-Power 5 teams, and bad Power 5 teams? :) What would the thinking be if Iowa beat Memphis? Sagarin has Memphis ranked higher than Boston College. Just sayin lol
I bet you weren’t laughing as we stuck the dagger through your hearts in September. Lol

Comparing conferences on 1 bowl game is dumb. ISU fans crowed all year on how the Big 12 gave up less points in bowl games than the Big 10. Are u kidding? First they played in less games. Second, they played third tier teams unlike the Big 10. Third, the Iowa-Michigan game had more players on the field drafted than the entire Big 12. That is sad for a conference. And it is cyclical.

So funny watching ISU fans downplay B1G's bowl performance with the weak matchups angle. They're basically calling the Big 12's bowl performance over the past few years a complete and utter joke without even realizing it. Dumbasses.

So funny watching ISU fans downplay B1G's bowl performance with the weak matchups angle. They're basically calling the Big 12's bowl performance over the past few years a complete and utter joke without even realizing it. Dumbasses.

The Big12 played 2 non power 5 schools and almost lost to both. They are the only PAC 12 victory. Play the weak matchups angle all they want but we played all 8 games against the power 5.

Comparing conferences on 1 bowl game is dumb. ISU fans crowed all year on how the Big 12 gave up less points in bowl games than the Big 10. Are u kidding? First they played in less games. Second, they played third tier teams unlike the Big 10. Third, the Iowa-Michigan game had more players on the field drafted than the entire Big 12. That is sad for a conference. And it is cyclical.

Is that true? I knew there was very little next level talent in the B12 but I guess I didn't realize just how bad it has gotten for that conference.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT