ADVERTISEMENT

Baer

Hawk_82

HR Heisman
Sep 17, 2006
No disrespect to him, but was it a mistake to give him a scholarship? Did losing that scholarship for a new recruit hurt this team overall? That scholarship added to unexpectedly making this team big guy heavy. I would guess that Fran would have brought in another guard if not for giving a scholarship to Baer

No disrespect to him, but was it a mistake to give him a scholarship? Did losing that scholarship for a new recruit hurt this team overall? That scholarship added to unexpectedly making this team big guy heavy. I would guess that Fran would have brought in another guard if not for giving a scholarship to Baer

Based on his play the past two years it was not a mistake. He is not playing as well this year for whatever reason but not a mistake he is on scholarship

I don't think it was a mistake. He's simply being asked to do more than he is physically capable of. He's a bench guy that should be called on to come in for about 5 minute spurts to provide some hustle and energy. He has a role and a valuable one at that he is capable of providing.

Hell to the no! He earned his schollie and he is one of my fav Hawks. The mistake was making him a starter and relying on him to contribute starter quality minutes. He was the BIG 6th man for a reason. He should have been in the same role this season.
Ding, ding, ding. Winner.

He may have earned it last year, but his play this year does not warrant a scholly. Can't really take it away from him now.

Can't believe no one on this thread has played the injury card for Baer this year.

It appears a mistake this year as we would be off with the quick guard who can play some “D” I think there needs to be better assessments made down the road.

There are probably 3 or 4 others who shouldn’t be on scholarship this season based on their play, but is this their fault? Maybe they have reached the maximum level of their abilities. To me it is more of a case of poor decision making in recruiting. You need 2 to 3 players in each class.

I like Baer and he's earned his scholarship. Maybe they are being over-coached this year, or players are given too many options or something, but it seems outright weird to me that two-thirds of our squad is playing worse than last year and appear to be struggling-- all except Cook, JoBo and the two freshmen. And our defense is not weird; it's totally bizzarre. Guys chasing players all over the court and not challenging them, and nobody but nobody guarding the torrent of threes from the opponents' wings.

Last edited:
Baer was never destined to be more than a bench
player. He does not have the resume to be a starter
in the Big Ten. The Hawkeyes do not have enough
talent, that they can afford to give scholarships to
walk-ons.

I like Baer and he's earned his scholarship. Maybe they are being over-coached this year, or players are given too many options or something, but it seems outright weird to me that two-thirds of our squad is playing worse than last year and appear to be struggling-- all except Cook, JoBo and the two freshmen. And our defense is not weird; it's totally bizzarre. Guys chasing players all over the court and not challenging them, and nobody but nobody guarding the torrent of threes from the opponents' wings.
Its DEFINITELY not being over coached.

I think so. He played well enough to earn it, but he also signed on as a walk on and knew what he was signing up for. He wasn’t going anywhere. Could’ve used that scholarship
So he earned the scholly fair and square but fran should have told him to F off?
Nope......
You are better than that.

Fran has signed guys that didn't fill biggest roster needs the past couple seasons so there's no guarantee he would have used the scholly appropriately.

All irrelevant, the kid deserved it. No debate about that question.

Baer earned it but he’s never been right all year. It’s possible he’s peaked or it is just a matter of being in the wrong role. Maybe guys like Jok & Uthoff just made everyone better around them by drawing alot of defensive attention allowing Baer to be open with his feet set on offense. Those open looks are not there this year.

No question he earned it. I’d argue he’s playing out of position and probably thinking too much. He was at his best as a back up 4 who could stretch the defense and then use his agility to get around bigger posts.

Probably shouldn’t be a starter and probably should be at the 4 not the 3, same with Nunge. A consequence of having too many posts.

Reactions: Hawk_82
Looking at those who did get one who are in his class as juniors you bet he deserves one compared to those who have them along with our lone senior Uhl and RS Jr Ellingson. Hopefully Weiskamp is good enough to start next year and bring Baer off the bench again as our 6th man.

Or how about a guard leaving the team? Or how about guards on the team, not performing that well? Why would you not want one of your top 5 players to be on the team? There are others just taking up space

I wonder how much the broken finger has affected his shooting this year. I also think he is playing out of position and should be used primarily as a 4 where he can use his quickness and length for better match ups.

Baer definitely earned his scholarship. It is hard to understand why he has had less of an impact this year. I am sure the injured finger is part of the problem, but I think there are so many holes to cover this year, that he gets caught in no-man's land a lot on defense... I didn't expect Baer to really get much better than last year, because he has limited abilities, but he and the entire team have gone backwards.

The real problem, besides bench coaching, is that Fran keeps taking the "best available" recruit, instead of focusing on need.

No. I can't see a scenario where Baer didn't get the scholly and we managed to convince another PG to sign up who didn't care that McCaffery is going to get most of the minutes (assuming he stays healthy).

No question he earned it. I’d argue he’s playing out of position and probably thinking too much. He was at his best as a back up 4 who could stretch the defense and then use his agility to get around bigger posts.

Probably shouldn’t be a starter and probably should be at the 4 not the 3, same with Nunge. A consequence of having too many posts.

exactly--I wish Fran would embrace small ball...our team was so much better with 3 true guards Jbo/Moss/Jok and limited Baer time at the 3 and subbing in as high energy 4..

I'd add, Baer is probably the gem of the Jr/Sr classes....only Baer and Moss are starters and it is debate-able whether Moss is better than Baer....

90% of us on this board would have voted to give him a scholarship last March; we can't play Monday morning QB now after the fact.

Q. What player (that would have made a difference for us) did we miss out on because Baer took a scholarship?

Reactions: And1Hawk
Is it a mistake to let you post?

Duh! Yes he earned, and too all those who say he doesn't this year, he was HURT! Yes he's earned

I think he has earned his scholly, look back at our tourney game againist Gonzaga, he was only guy who showed up and could compete. With that said, I do believe he has largely hit his ceiling. I prefer him off the bench, 12-17 minutes per game. If he could improve his 3 pt shooting, his minutes could increase. (he is at 29.9%, below Wagner and Kriener for context).

Reactions: kceasthawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT