ADVERTISEMENT

Barta proposes lifetime deal for KF

With the latest recruiting class coming in I think a minimum of 5 years is needed (extension of current contract to get to 5 years) It's his best in years. I say get him to Epenensa's senior year and re-evaluate. If things keep on this current trend, then a lifetime contract is probably a no-brainer at that point.

Why is there any need to extend it al all? He's not going to jump ship and go anywhere no matter how successful he may be in the next few years. I say wait until we are a little close to the end of his current contract. Jmo

Iowa has had a grand total of 2 head football coaches since what...1979? Two. If that isn't coaching stability, I don't know what is. They will need a much different pitch to dissuade a recruit from considering Iowa than conjecture that Ferentz will be somewhere other than Iowa. I think it's a pretty safe bet at this point he will retire at Iowa.

So I agree. What's the advantage of a lifetime contract?

Reactions: ThomesG.Hey
Iowa has had a grand total of 2 head football coaches since what...1979? Two. If that isn't coaching stability, I don't know what is. They will need a much different pitch to dissuade a recruit from considering Iowa than conjecture that Ferentz will be somewhere other than Iowa. I think it's a pretty safe bet at this point he will retire at Iowa.

Might not say he's leaving but they could say he's going to retire. Extending won't stop that talk completely but gives him a chance to refute it. Without extending it's a easier sell for those programs using this against Iowa.

Reactions: mthawkeyes
Might not say he's leaving but they could say he's going to retire. Extending won't stop that talk completely but gives him a chance to refute it. Without extending it's a easier sell for those programs using this against Iowa.

I understand what you are saying I just disagree it gives Ferentz a better chance to refute it one way or the other. And for the record, I'm not opposed to a contract extension loaded with incentives.

i love it - i think he has some good years left, and if brian really is to be the 'next', i think he needs a few more years get that that level. i just really like the idea for a lot of reasons....

I know that as an Iowa fan. The issue is that no matter how logical that sounds to us a 17 year old recruit that is hearing from an opposing teams coach (well trained sales person) can be convinced to see it in a different way.

Whatever contract they come up with, this time around Barta needs to make sure the contract is not all in Kirk's favor. Meaning, making sure you don't get saddled with a ridiculous contract previously handed out. Would love to see Kirk retire at Iowa.

He's nothing but a class act. And I've been eating so much crow after this past season and am more than happy to do so. Such a rarity nowadays to have a coach stay this long at one school. And I'm glad Iowa football is back and the energy with recruiting is on the rise.

Kirk is such a classy human being. It reflects in the atmosphere he's created in Iowa City and the quality young men Iowa recruits. Go Hawks!

isu grads really laying on the little bro syndrome on this topic.

Don't anyone tell my hero, cy twins that Iowa's success impacts our recruiting more than just in the state of Iowa. No wonder isu can't get any four stars to commit to them, even their dopey fans can't figure out that high level athletes want to play with other successful high level athletes.

Hey as long as KF has a losing record against isu, isu grads are very happy.

More please.

http://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/ind...final-retirement-contract-for-ferentz.219377/

What's wrong with 5 year, auto 1 year extension at the end of each year. No huge buy out either.

This seems reasonable. With something in there about giving him the option of being paid as a representative of the university beyond his coaching days if he retires from Iowa. I don't think a huge bump in pay is needed, other than putting in some incentives about division and conference titles, and pay raises for assistants.

Penn State apparently was negative recruiting Iowa by saying you don't know if Kirk is going to be there. So yes they need to get this done. And I don't think Kirk plans on coaching till he is 80 so retiring at Iowa might just mean extending the contract 4 years from when it is set to expire

I agree. Extend this man's deal for as long as he would like to be coaching. And I say that with sincerity.

Coach Ferentz has been a very steady hand for Iowa for a long time. He has placed Iowa at levels previously unknown and still has gas to keep going and time as well. He is probably the best coach in Iowa history (I know there is some debate over the different situations).

I'm a Nebraska fan, of course, but I mean everything I wrote. Mr. Ferentz is just about the best representative a school could wish for and a very good coach. I look forward to seeing the Huskers play against Coach Ferentz's teams for many years. It's a rare man who has all the good qualities Ferentz has consistently maintained.

Does he deserve a lifetime contract? I would say yes. Has he let us down before? Again, I would say yes. I think there have been years maybe we expected to much, and years the team did not deliver. It seems like Kirk reapplied himself after the Tennessee debacle, and if he keeps it up I see good things happening. I love the coaching staff he has in place, and hope he can keep it together for several years. I know Greg Davis took a lot of crap his first couple years, but I think he was making due with the lack of talent, and now that we have a little more has been a solid OC, not to mention he and Kennedy's Texas recruiting. So, I am happy with his new deal. I am a realist and would love to see 10 plus wins each year, but know that is not likely. But we should be bowling every year.

I know that as an Iowa fan. The issue is that no matter how logical that sounds to us a 17 year old recruit that is hearing from an opposing teams coach (well trained sales person) can be convinced to see it in a different way.

True, but the lifetime contract won't make a lick of difference either. All it takes is someone to cast a shadow of doubt such as, "You know, rumor has it now that Coach Ferentz's last kid has left the nest, he is going to announce his retirement in the next year or two." Or something along those lines.

The point is a lifetime contract guarantees nothing. Kirk will go out on his terms regardless.

Reactions: ThomesG.Hey
Don't think anything has changed in Barta's mind

Not with Barta, but if you had asked fans this time last year if KF deserved a lifetime contract, how do you think the support would have been? I'm guessing less than 5% of fans would have been in support.

A 12-2 season and a highly ranked recruiting class will do that for you. Just crazy to think about how much different it was 365 days ago.

We need to give Kirk as much time as he needs to fully educate, prepare, and season Brian for the job. Can't wait to see what a BF staff will look like.

If Barta believes that Brian Ferentz would make a good head coach, then a lifetime contract for KF would be an ideal scenario. There would be incentive for Kirk to not coach until he's 85 years old like JoePa (his son taking over the position), AND there would be stability within the program when Kirk retires (many of the recruits will already have a relationship with Brian, thus somewhat avoiding the high attrition that typically comes with a coach retiring).

Thoughts?

Funny how much can change in one year..

It is a terrible idea to give a college coach a lifetime agreement. History is littered with the debacles that come from similar deals - Joe Paterno, Bobby Bowden, Mac Brown come to mind. I agree with the texter who said to make any extension based on incentives, but also keep the power to end his employment with the university.

Great full with the apparent trajectory of the program, but Kirk has demonstrated that he can be difficult to deal with at times. We don't want an ugly situation should things turn south.

It's not literally a lifetime contract. Barta is proposing an extension for a certain number of years that would likely cover the number of years before Kirk wanted to retire.

Kirk has demonstrated that he can be difficult to deal with at times.

How so?

Reactions: ThorneStockton
At KF's age, they pretty much need to as to not allow it to be used against us in recruiting.
A lifetime contract will not stop the clock. His age will become a factor with or with out a lifetime deal. That being said, he has several good years left in his career at Iowa.

It's not literally a lifetime contract. Barta is proposing an extension for a certain number of years that would likely cover the number of years before Kirk wanted to retire.

This. People are making this sound like it's a 20 year deal or something. If he signed a 1 year extension with plans to retire after that, would it still be a terrible "lifetime contract"?

Reactions: hawkbirch
Id be okay with it. Unlike other coaches in the Big Ten, he has kept a clean program and done the "best w/what he has" I realize people were upset when we were going 6-6 and what not, but still that's better than a lot of schools. I realize he is getting paid $$$$ but he graduates majority of his players and he does a good job of getting them prepared for the real world. He is the DEAN of the Big Ten Coaches.

Now that the University has dedicated itself to providing state of the art facilities, KF can now recruit the upper level recruits. Not gonna lie, when recruits are quoted as saying, "best facilities they have seen." It feels pretty good to know that Iowa made the right move.

It is a terrible idea to give a college coach a lifetime agreement. History is littered with the debacles that come from similar deals - Joe Paterno, Bobby Bowden, Mac Brown come to mind. I agree with the texter who said to make any extension based on incentives, but also keep the power to end his employment with the university.

Great full with the apparent trajectory of the program, but Kirk has demonstrated that he can be difficult to deal with at times. We don't want an ugly situation should things turn south.

Agree 100%. Most consider Urban and Saban the 2 top college coaches and you'll never see OSU or Alabama extend any form of "lifetime" contracts to those two.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT