ADVERTISEMENT

Barta

Why did they sell out this year? They lost their bowl game and got pulverized in the Big Ten championship game, most highly doubted there was a true quarterback competition and two receivers transferred to a conference rival. I think most fans recognized the offense was going to be weak. Still, they sold out. I doubt they sell out every game next year, but they’ll still sell enough to earn a hefty profit.

Maybe I missed it, but I haven't seen one post on Barta being held accountable for this shit show. Everyone is blaming Kirk, Brian and the entire offense and rightfully so, but Barta handed out these horseshit contracts like candy whenever we won 8 games. He needs to be the first to go.
He has “full faith” in his coaches.

Maybe I missed it, but I haven't seen one post on Barta being held accountable for this shit show. Everyone is blaming Kirk, Brian and the entire offense and rightfully so, but Barta handed out these horseshit contracts like candy whenever we won 8 games. He needs to be the first to go.
You want an AD that would demand results!!!! An AD that would not hesitate for change within the athletic department.

Petition for DAN GABLE to run the athletic department.

You would see heads roll if he was hired.

Do game day revenues even matter anymore? Big Ten TV deal is set to give Iowa around $100m annually. I feel like the stadium could be empty all season and the athletic department would still be profitable.
New TV deals vastly outweigh ticket/concession revenues. Only thing an empty Kinnick will damage is egos which may still mean something. I'd have to imagine being a season ticket sales rep for next year is going to be a tough job.

You do realize football is not the only sport the AD oversees? Brian absolutely needs to be gone, but the athletic department looks more than solid. Baseball is finally where it should be, the Heller hire was a great call. Women's basketball picked #1 preseason, men's basketballl should be decent with another NBA pick or two. Football having a down year after more than 3 years. Hell the field hockey team is one fun watch and a national title contender. None of this is to mention the new facilities for wrestling. I don't know what more people want at this point.

• Haha
Reactions: isuisshit
True but if this trend of scoring less than 10 points continues, it won’t be sold out next year.
And if the second half of the season resembles the first half, I'll guarantee you next season will not be sold out. Plus remember, you don't have Iowa State, Michigan, or Wisconsin coming to Iowa City next year. That absolutely contributed to Iowa selling out this season.

Next season's hi-lite home games will be Minnesota and Illinois and Purdue-- they aren't at the level of interest as those games I mentioned above.

Last edited:
Do game day revenues even matter anymore? Big Ten TV deal is set to give Iowa around $100m annually. I feel like the stadium could be empty all season and the athletic department would still be profitable.
This.

I posted in another thread that if attendance dropped by 25% (something that hasn't happened in the last 50 years and won't happen next year) it would only be a net loss of $3.5M over the entire season. (Est $2M/game x 7 x .25). That's a drop in the bucket compared to the TV $$.

Just simply doing dumb math, an average ticket cost of $60 and saying 69,000 tickets get sold, that's $4.140 million PER GAME just in ticket sales. Take that X 7 home dates a year and now you're talking $28.980 million annually just in ticket sales.

Now with all those fans, add in all the concessions every game they bring in, the merchandise they purchase, the parking revenues generated. That likely bumps the total revenue up to over $35 million annually for 7 home football games.

Therefore, you answer the question how important ticket sales are-- especially considering men's basketball is the only other sport that ends the yer in the black from a revenue standpoint.

Reactions: San_Antonio_Hawk
You want an AD that would demand results!!!! An AD that would not hesitate for change within the athletic department.

Petition for DAN GABLE to run the athletic department.

You would see heads roll if he was hired.

No. While gable was a great coach, imho he would not be a good athletic director. Not much Of a personality. You’ve got to sell the sizzle also.

You do realize football is not the only sport the AD oversees? Brian absolutely needs to be gone, but the athletic department looks more than solid. Baseball is finally where it should be, the Heller hire was a great call. Women's basketball picked #1 preseason, men's basketballl should be decent with another NBA pick or two. Football having a down year after more than 3 years. Hell the field hockey team is one fun watch and a national title contender. None of this is to mention the new facilities for wrestling. I don't know what more people want at this point.
It's nice that that the non revenue sports are doing well but only two of those sports matter from a national exposure and revenue standpoint and one stands tall above the others. That one pays the way for all the non revenue sports and what people want is simple... an offense that isn't embarrassing.

That's it. Even a little below average would be fine with this D and ST. It just isn't as hard as Kirk makes it with his stubbornness and nepotism. If Iowa had that people wouldn't be complaining like this but what Kirk is pulling and Gary is allowing with Brian is outrageous. It needs to end immediately, this is year 6 FFS. The fans have been more than patient and forgiving, sold the season out despite last year's joke offense.

Stop the insanity

Attendance is going to drop next year. This season we have a good home schedule and there was some measure of enthusiasm following the 10-win season, even though many people knew there would continue to be struggles on offense.

Next year the home schedule sucks, we will likely be coming off our worst season in 10 years and worst offensive production in the country, and Ferentz fatigue will be running rampant through the fanbase. No way we sell out more than 1-2 games (MN due to the rivalry and MSU due to the novelty) and many games will barely clear 60,000, especially if we're having another bad season. That's not exactly making Kinnick a "ghost-town," but with college football attendance dropping across the country, we could take quite a hit.

You're a fool or a moron if you think Kinnick gameday revenues don't matter. The lack of gameday revenues in 2020 caused a $50M shortfall in the budget.

This year, we had a home schedule of Michigan/Iowa State/Wisconsin/Nebraska while coming off a 10-win season and a Big Ten title game berth. Selling season tickets was easy.

Next year, our home schedule is going to be very weak and the fanbase will be the angriest it has been since 2013.

Season ticket sales are going to absolutely crash next year. I'm going to call right now that we don't have a sellout, unless OSU or PSU come to town, which is unlikely.

You're a fool or a moron if you think Kinnick gameday revenues don't matter. The lack of gameday revenues in 2020 caused a $50M shortfall in the budget.

This year, we had a home schedule of Michigan/Iowa State/Wisconsin/Nebraska while coming off a 10-win season and a Big Ten title game berth. Selling season tickets was easy.

Next year, our home schedule is going to be very weak and the fanbase will be the angriest it has been since 2013.

Season ticket sales are going to absolutely crash next year. I'm going to call right now that we don't have a sellout, unless OSU or PSU come to town, which is unlikely.
Depends on how this season ends and what transpires for changes in the off season. Too early to tell. We know Spencer is gone. The OL should be improved and Proctor should start immediately. Experienced RBs. D should be solid although tough to replace Benson and Campbell.

Depends on how this season ends and what transpires for changes in the off season. Too early to tell. We know Spencer is gone. The OL should be improved and Proctor should start immediately. Experienced RBs. D should be solid although tough to replace Benson and Campbell.

Spencer has said he’s not coming back; but he still has a year of eligibility.

Let’s hope some of the young offensive talent doesn’t hit the portal. And hope that Proctor doesn’t have a change of heart.

If the Hawks turn it around this back half of the season; then we should be good with the latter.

One word will do..........CONSISTANCY.

Yes, our men's and women's programs are all having good years.
But, can they maintain staying at the top of the mountain????

There is no reason why after 23 years of Kirk Ferentz that we can't be a top 20 or better program year in and year out with the stability within our program.

Reactions: DewHawk
One word will do..........CONSISTANCY.

Yes, our men's and women's programs are all having good years.
But, can they maintain staying at the top of the mountain????

There is no reason why after 23 years of Kirk Ferentz that we can't be a top 20 or better program year in and year out with the stability within our program.
What is consistancy? Asking for a friend.

Attendance is going to drop next year. This season we have a good home schedule and there was some measure of enthusiasm following the 10-win season, even though many people knew there would continue to be struggles on offense.

Next year the home schedule sucks, we will likely be coming off our worst season in 10 years and worst offensive production in the country, and Ferentz fatigue will be running rampant through the fanbase. No way we sell out more than 1-2 games (MN due to the rivalry and MSU due to the novelty) and many games will barely clear 60,000, especially if we're having another bad season. That's not exactly making Kinnick a "ghost-town," but with college football attendance dropping across the country, we could take quite a hit.
the big ten schedule has yet to be announced.

Just simply doing dumb math, an average ticket cost of $60 and saying 69,000 tickets get sold, that's $4.140 million PER GAME just in ticket sales. Take that X 7 home dates a year and now you're talking $28.980 million annually just in ticket sales.

Now with all those fans, add in all the concessions every game they bring in, the merchandise they purchase, the parking revenues generated. That likely bumps the total revenue up to over $35 million annually for 7 home football games.

Therefore, you answer the question how important ticket sales are-- especially considering men's basketball is the only other sport that ends the yer in the black from a revenue standpoint.
I’d have to look more closely, but I think the current deal is giving Iowa around $50-$60m per year. So the new deal would cover that entire $35m and then some.

It's nice that that the non revenue sports are doing well but only two of those sports matter from a national exposure and revenue standpoint and one stands tall above the others. That one pays the way for all the non revenue sports and what people want is simple... an offense that isn't embarrassing.

That's it. Even a little below average would be fine with this D and ST. It just isn't as hard as Kirk makes it with his stubbornness and nepotism. If Iowa had that people wouldn't be complaining like this but what Kirk is pulling and Gary is allowing with Brian is outrageous. It needs to end immediately, this is year 6 FFS. The fans have been more than patient and forgiving, sold the season out despite last year's joke offense.

Stop the insanity
I know that reading a thread is difficult, but the question posted by the OP was when is Barta held accountable for this shit show.. Well Barta's job is to make money for the athletic department, that is exactly what he is doing. When it drops off, that's when you hold him accountable.

No. While gable was a great coach, imho he would not be a good athletic director. Not much Of a personality. You’ve got to sell the sizzle also.
You think this guy "sells the sizzle"?

iu

A few on-field changes are not making a difference. Fans are short-sighted and visceral.

Ticket sales in general are highly dependent on the previous season and the home slate. The 12-0 2015 team only sold out one game, the November 14th game when we were ranked 8th in the country. The second closest was Illinois at 66,693.

This off season is going to see weak season ticket sales, and next year's attendance will be baked in.

I’d have to look more closely, but I think the current deal is giving Iowa around $50-$60m per year. So the new deal would cover that entire $35m and then some.
My point is $35 million is a huge thing and that game day revenue at Iowa matters A LOT and always will. Anyone suggesting it's not a big deal anymore has no clue.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT