HR Legend
Nov 10, 2006
Be a teacher in America

- Overworked
- Underpaid
- Constant anxiety around the possibility of gun violence at your school
- A mass shooting actually occurs
- Many of your students are murdered
- Police go on national TV and blame you, at least in part, for the shooting. Turns out you didn't actually do anything wrong.

Apply now!

The wife (no pics) is a teacher. This morning I left for work at 7:30am while she and the kids were sawing logs. After all her degrees and tenure she makes over 80K a year. Doesn't seem to be too bad of a gig.

My wife (no pics) is also a teacher. 11 years at her current position, masters degree, still hasn’t cracked 55K. It’s a damned joke.

And her paycheck is about to be cut in half due to unpaid maternity leave.

America!

Yes. Her parents have paid for pretty much all of her schooling so got a life cheat code.
I paid off my 50K, plus interest, in student loans 2 years ago at age 51. I love working with kids - I keep coaching high school sports because of the kids - but this is the first year since I taught middle school BD that I can't wait for Friday to be done. I have never seen morale lower in the building or district. If the gig was so awesome for all of us you wouldn't see teachers quitting by the hundreds in various districts.

If someone could just come up with a "cheat code" to end the massive discipline problems we deal with, we wouldn't be leaving in droves. None of you go to jobs and get verbally or physically assaulted almost daily like so many do in this job. My boss got knocked to the ground in the middle of a street by a kid using his instrument case yesterday. The kid was trying to sneak out early, was running around in traffic, screaming and swearing at her. You don't have that crap in other jobs. You might not like what you do, but the people you are working with aren't threatening you while you're trying to do your job. Heck, I had a kid screaming at me yesterday and that almost never happens to me. He was mad about a call in a game.

I paid off my 50K, plus interest, in student loans 2 years ago at age 51. I love working with kids - I keep coaching high school sports because of the kids - but this is the first year since I taught middle school BD that I can't wait for Friday to be done. I have never seen morale lower in the building or district. If the gig was so awesome for all of us you wouldn't see teachers quitting by the hundreds in various districts.

If someone could just come up with a "cheat code" to end the massive discipline problems we deal with, we wouldn't be leaving in droves. None of you go to jobs and get verbally or physically assaulted almost daily like so many do in this job. My boss got knocked to the ground in the middle of a street by a kid using his instrument case yesterday. The kid was trying to sneak out early, was running around in traffic, screaming and swearing at her. You don't have that crap in other jobs. You might not like what you do, but the people you are working with aren't threatening you while you're trying to do your job. Heck, I had a kid screaming at me yesterday and that almost never happens to me. He was mad about a call in a game.
This ^^ and the idiot school district admin is what is going to cause my wife (no pics) to quit.

How do you know they are “underpaid”?
In 2008-2009 a teacher with a bachelor's degree and 30 years experience made a base salary of $51,530. The GOP took the NC House and Senate in 2010 and have held it ever since.

The 2021-2022 base compensation for a teacher with a bachelor's degree and 30 years of experience is - wait for it - $52,000. I'll do the math for you - that's a "raise" of $470 over a period of 13 years.

That teacher in 2009 also got a longevity bonus every year worth thousands of dollars. The GOP took that away...from teachers only. Every single other state employee - including the staff members who work for our state legislators - still get that bonus.

That's how I know.

Last edited:
In 2008-2009 a teacher with a bachelor's degree and 30 years experience made a base salary of $51,530. The GOP took the NC House and Senate in 2010 and have held it ever since.

The 2021-2022 base compensation for a teacher with a bachelor's degree and 30 years of experience is - wait for it - $52,000. I'll do the math for you - that's a "raise" of $470 over a period of 13 years.

That teacher in 2009 also got a longevity bonus every year worth thousands of dollars. The GOP took that away...from teacher's only. Every single other state employee - including the staff members who work for our state legislators - still get that bonus.

That's how I know.
We get a $100 raise to the BASE every year. LOL. We did get an $1000 commitment bonus this spring, by the governor, if we didn't quit. Even our Republican governor knows everyone is pissed off when she is basically bribing teachers not to quit. There's going to be a major shortage in a few years.

I agree with you here but it is a societal issue. Fatherless homes and zero backbone from institutions. This stuff was never tolerated back in the day and now we allow it because admin is more afraid of the parents and parents side with their kids over adults now when confronted about behavior issues.

This.

Two of my teachers from high school that were long-tenured retired about ten years ago. Both were making almost $100k when they retired living in towns where the average home cost was well under $175k at the time.

Edit - Now that was Iowa. I have family at the Ozarks in Missouri and that is a TOTALLY different deal from a salary standpoint.

I agree with you here but it is a societal issue. Fatherless homes and zero backbone from institutions. This stuff was never tolerated back in the day and now we allow it because admin is more afraid of the parents and parents side with their kids over adults now when confronted about behavior issues.
It's about lawsuits districts are scared of. Not that you don't make some points here. Most definitely.

Reactions: hexumhawk
This.

Two of my teachers from high school that were long-tenured retired about ten years ago. Both were making almost $100k when they retired living in towns where the average home cost was well under $175k at the time.

Edit - Now that was Iowa. I have family at the Ozarks in Missouri and that is a TOTALLY different deal from a salary standpoint.
I would like to know what district in Iowa that teachers are paid $100 K because this is news to me. There base salary is over $100,000??

Teacher whine festival. SMH.
lucille-eyeroll.gif

Keep voting Democrat and you'll keep getting discipline problems in your schools and in your streets. Because feelings matter. LOL!

You get what you vote for, you voted for it, you got it, you live with it. Or change how you vote. It is that simple.

You've just been given the formula to fix your problems. Don't say you weren't told.

Reactions: Hawkeyenuts66
Be a teacher in America

- Overworked
- Underpaid
- Police go on national TV and blame you, at least in part, for the shooting. Turns out you didn't actually do anything wrong.

Apply now!

I'm guessing you have a huge vagina. Good lord you are clueless.

I'm also guessing you don't know any teachers very good and you definitely haven't seen their W-2's.

My mom was a teacher. I have several friends that are teachers. I see incomes for all levels of teachers when I do their taxes.

Last edited:
Be a teacher in America

- Overworked
- Underpaid

Apply now!
Every profession is overworked. They are not overpaid. Gun violence isn't a concern for most schools but it is something they have to prepare for. More kids die from lack of nutrition in the US than shooting. As to Iowa you have a governor that is against public schooling, that is a winning formula. There are obvious issues, and Reynolds is going to have a massive mess on her hands. The bigger issue is kids who have no structure at home and are a holy terror and there is nothing the schools can do about it.

Reactions: win4jj
Keep voting Democrat and you'll keep getting discipline problems in your schools and in your streets. Because feelings matter. LOL!

You get what you vote for, you voted for it, you got it, you live with it. Or change how you vote. It is that simple.

You've just been given the formula to fix your problems. Don't say you weren't told.
Up here in NW Iowa we are extremely red, and we have the same discipline problems as the "blue schools". Principals are incentivized to pass kids by getting a pay bonus on how many graduate, which leads to less discipline to get the kids to actually attend school and not drop out. Also leads to lowering the bar on standards of passing classes. Kids are graduating, but without any life skills to carry over into the workplace.

Last edited:
If someone could just come up with a "cheat code" to end the massive discipline problems we deal with, we wouldn't be leaving in droves.
Do you have any solutions to suggest that the schools and administration could do better?

Unfortunately, there are parents that enable their kids and will blindly defend their actions regardless of what they do. So yes better parenting at home would be the easiest solution to suggest, but it really isn't something that can be controlled.

Maybe if some of our teachers didn't post all day on an internet forum...

We get a $100 raise to the BASE every year. LOL. We did get an $1000 commitment bonus this spring, by the governor, if we didn't quit. Even our Republican governor knows everyone is pissed off when she is basically bribing teachers not to quit. There's going to be a major shortage in a few years.

Our local LEA bumped the local supplement substantially ($300/month) in January and gave us back pay to the beginning of the year...another $1500 for me on top of the increased monthly supplement going forward. Thank you county voters who approved a tax increase mandated for this purpose.

I got a nice raise last year from the federal govt - the Covid relief money funded thousands of dollars in retention bonuses. We're still getting some of that so my 2022 W2 will look decent, as well. None of that bonus money counts as salary, however, so it doesn't help my retirement numbers. Then it all goes away and compensation will fall back to base...which will be a princely $52, 680...a 1.3% raise!!!

Maybe if some of our teachers didn't post all day on an internet forum...
In the middle of end-of-grade testing. I have seven kids sitting in my room who are done but we can't go anywhere until everyone is done. They're all sleeping. I really need to be in the shop doing rough cuts on the CO2 dragsters my 6th graders are working on but NO NOISE ALLOWED!!! So we sit.

Up here in NW Iowa we are extremely red, and we have the same discipline problems as the "blue schools". Principals are incentivized to pass kids by getting a pay bonus on how many graduate, which leads to less discipline to get the kids to actually attend school and not drop out. Also leads to lowering the bar on standards of passing classes. Kids are graduating, but without any life skills to carry over into the workplace.
I graduated HS in the 90’s in Northwest Iowa and we didn’t have the discipline problems. We also didn’t have mass shootings. It starts at home people

Last I checked Iowa has a republican Governor, a republican majority of both legislative committees and is Republican leaning in 90% of the school districts. Political affiliation doesn't appear to be making a difference.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT