ADVERTISEMENT

Best dill pickle

Tenacious E

HR Legend
Dec 4, 2001
InsertOP'smomjokehere. Getting that out of the way, the only great dill pickle I've had is claussen's classic. Most other dill pickles are garbage in comparison. Is there another brand out there which is better? Better page @FSUTribe76 for this one...

A cheaper, but decent option is the Milwaukee brand pickles.

Edit: Milwaukee’s Baby Dills

Last edited:
Reactions: Tenacious E
I eat these by the jar. Not dill though

1_0JHnlYi.JPG.750x750_q85ss0_progressive.jpg

InsertOP'smomjokehere. Getting that out of the way, the only great dill pickle I've had is claussen's classic. Most other dill pickles are garbage in comparison. Is there another brand out there which is better? Better page @FSUTribe76 for this one...

I only like sliced dill pickle on bratwurst sandwiches myself. But if you like them, try this stuff. Picked up a jar at Trader Joe's and it's tasty. Full of probiotic and will fix your gut up to boot. Make sure you get the raw and fermented...

trader-joes-sauerkraut.png

I only like sliced dill pickle on bratwurst sandwiches myself. But if you like them, try this stuff. Picked up a jar at Trader Joe's and it's tasty. Full of probiotic and will fix your gut up to boot. Make sure you get the raw and fermented...

trader-joes-sauerkraut.png
source.gif

Reactions: ping72
Baby dills are the safest in terms of avoiding mushiness. And one should limit oneself to pickles, not pickle spears....unless the use is as a stirring implement for a bloody mary.

Google tells me they are available at the grocery store I typically go to but somehow I've never noticed them.

will be in a refrigerated section. If purchased, bd sure to press down hard on the lid until you hear a snap. Otherwise you will be cleaning up pickle juice when you pick up the container to put back in the fridge.

Why is that?
Not sure which recommendation you refer to, but in both cases and answer is the mush quotient. I do not like mushy pickles. I have yet to have a dill spear that wasn't a bit mushy -- which makes since, since the inner parts are exposed. I like a crisp pickle.

A spear is acceptable for stirring a bloody mary because a full-size pickle is unwieldy in that situation.

will be in a refrigerated section. If purchased, bd sure to press down hard on the lid until you hear a snap. Otherwise you will be cleaning up pickle juice when you pick up the container to put back in the fridge.
Went for a walk and picked some up at the grocery store nearby. Picked regular and spicy. Much prefer the regular. Quite different than any pickle I’ve had in a good way. My new favorite. Thanks for the tip and also on snapping the lid shut with a pop. You were right about that.

Reactions: LBoogie28

The best dill pickle I’ve seen in multiple commercial venues (Publix, Fresh Market, SuperTarget and Earth Fare) is Grillo’s Pickles. The pickle stays super crisp and the flavor is the perfect level of sour.

https://www.grillospickles.com/

The only pickle I’ve bought that is better than Grillo’s, is Louis Pickles. I’ve never seen them in stores in Tally, but they do have an online store. The regular cucumber pickles (especially the garlic dill) are even slightly better than Grillo’s, but I also love their hot green tomato, okra and mushroom pickles. They are absolutely top notch. I came across them at a booth they had at the National Peanut Festival in Dothan Alabama, and I’ve never had better pickles anywhere. https://louiespickles.com/

I’ve made my own pickles several times in a German-style fermentation similar to this one.
https://www.cabelas.com/product/GER...h7gJBgoDkFiny6iN5ExoCH7kQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

So I do make my own pickles relatively frequently, but I will say this. While my sauerkraut, kimchi, watermelon rind and sweet “bread and butter” pickles are as good as you’ll find anywhere, I’ve yet to make dill pickles that match Grillo’s or Louie’s. For some reason, despite following every recipe and hint available even including using grape leaves, I’ve yet to get them as crispy as those two. They end up semi-limp, not as bad as the cheap stuff but on par with a Clausen or typical refrigerator commercial quality. I’ve yet to really fix that issue with my own dill pickles, so I’ll just buy Grillo’s or Louie’s.

I like a premium cornichon from time to time. Should have mentioned that earlier.

Yeah, I agree those are the best you can semi-easily find in a grocery store. But see my previous post and consider ordering some garlic dill or double dill and make sure you get some green tomatoes or hot green tomatoes as well from Louie’s.

Aldi has a Kosher Dill Spear, "Little Salad Bar", in the refrigerated section, sometimes. They do not always have them, but when they do, they are fantasic.

I like a premium cornichon from time to time. Should have mentioned that earlier.

Most people think those are just baby cucumbers, but they’re actually a completely different species not just a varietal of cucumber. It’s not a true cucumber but a small gherkin (which people also think is a cucumber but it’s not). They’re in the same genus but different species.

I don’t understand the purpose of pickles. They’re not offensive, but not tempting enough to eat if there is literally anything else available.

I don’t understand the purpose of pickles. They’re not offensive, but not tempting enough to eat if there is literally anything else available.

We all have different taste buds, but I have found that a really good pickle goes well with beer when watching football. Maybe switch it up with other favorites. That's at home. I'm not getting a pickle from the big jar in a bar. Dead flies and cockroaches may have drowned in there.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
For some reason I have always enjoyed a small side of peanut butter with my pickle. Freak or not?

For some reason I have always enjoyed a small side of peanut butter with my pickle. Freak or not?

Not a freak. We all have different taste buds. Elvis Presley liked peanut butter and banana sandwiches. Maybe peanut butter goes with a lot of other foods.

Different strokes. Dill pickles are the perfect diet food. Virtually calorie free flavor bombs that are both crispy and juicy. On a keto diet they are great chopped up and put in a salad, or eaten as a snack plain or with some ham/cream cheese. Now you start getting into sweet pickles (which I find disgusting) and the calories/carbs add up.

My gut reaction is freak, but after contemplating it would be an interesting sweet and sour combination to try.

Not a freak. We all have different taste buds. Elvis Presley liked peanut butter and banana sandwiches. Maybe peanut butter goes with a lot of other foods.
My wife regularly eats peanut butter and tomato sandwiches with oregano sprinkled on top. Looks gross AF.

Friend of mine said he eats peanut butter and pickle sandwiches. At first I thought he was a little off then curiosity got the best of me and they are pretty damn good.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT