ADVERTISEMENT

Beth Goetz could be set up perfectly to be a generational villain for Hawkeye football history

ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK

HR Heisman
Apr 17, 2002
First, let me start off by saying Brian had to be let go & she did the right thing if he wouldn’t resign.

But let’s just say this pissed Kirk off so much that he walks away at the end of the year.

Instead of using these last few years of his contract to find a smooth way to pass the program off to his successor we are forced into a hire this off season.

Hopefully the next coach will be successful but it wouldn’t be all that shocking to see Iowa fall off as a top 25 program.

Which could be 10, 15, 20 years if we can’t get the right hires.

Again, she did what had to be done but if we struggle for years after this chain of events, unfortunately for her, she’ll be remembered as the person that set Iowa football back.

Tough situation for her. I know I wouldn’t want her job right now.

First, let me start off by saying Brian had to be let go & she did the right thing if he wouldn’t resign.

But let’s just say this pissed Kirk off so much that he walks away at the end of the year.

Instead of using these last few years of his contract to find a smooth way to pass the program off to his successor we are forced into a hire this off season.

Hopefully the next coach will be successful but it wouldn’t be all that shocking to see Iowa fall off as a top 25 program.

Which could be 10, 15, 20 years if we can’t get the right hires.

Again, she did what had to be done but if we struggle for years after this chain of events, unfortunately for her, she’ll be remembered as the person that set Iowa football back.

Tough situation for her. I know I wouldn’t want her job right now.
Pretty simple solution to this entire problem if that is what you are so afraid of, hire from inside the program.

In the end, the villains should be Barta and Kirk for not reassigning Brian to something other than OC when it was clear that is what needed to be done. They are the ones that forced this situation to happen.

I think Kirk will step down after this season and that is very unfortunate but it had to happen this way. I am concerned for what comes next for Iowa football. I know many on this board are confident we'll land a great hire that we'll not only maintain our success but reach new heights. I'm not so confident in that. I think it'll be an up and down ride after Kirk leaves.

I would hope the powers that be are being proactive and coming up with their short list and will be ready to act, just in case.

There are no guarantees obviously, but I get tired of the doom and gloom that everyone assumes we'll stink in life after KF. We are already getting our doors blown off by the Michigan, OSU and PSU types as it is. The present isn't that fantastic, IMO.

Guess we will see.

Except we are 86-41 , 12th in the nation in wins the last ten years. So you are full of shit
do you think that ranking in the 120's for offensive production will never catch up? Are you indicating that you wanted Brian to stay if it meant Kirk would stay?

do you think that ranking in the 120's for offensive production will never catch up? Are you indicating that you wanted Brian to stay if it meant Kirk would stay?
Holy straw man , derp derp

Iowa is #12 in the nation in wins over the past ten years. 86-41, but but but

Prepare for a decade of cellar dwelling losing football, let’s hire Levar and run off KF
lmao

I don't subscribe to a villains and heroes view in this scenario.
But what I do think is that Barta is the major problem that underlies it. His poor management and contract negotiating gifted this to anyone who followed. The current interim AD is the unfortunate recipient. She did what was needed in dealing with the fallout of her predecessor's incompetence.

Holy straw man , derp derp

Iowa is #12 in the nation in wins over the past ten years. 86-41, but but but

Prepare for a decade of cellar dwelling losing football, let’s hire Levar and run off KF
lmao
who is saying that we are hiring Levar and running Kirk off? Iowa is not buying out Kirk's contract, if he walks it is of his own volition. Also you being condescending to anyone is laughable, not in the ha ha funny sort of way, but in the ha ha sad type.

Reactions: BetterLuckNextTime
Lmao, “whose Running KF off”, yea right

Hey we can be the new Rutgers, it will be cool, Levar will open up the passing game

She should have done this in a way that didn't have the likely result of blowing up the football program. Blowing up Iowa football and then blowing town with her Iowa City hating wife would definitely make her a legendary villain.
Still time to get Gene Taylor.

No, it will be Iowa football programs mess, for many years. but hey, our big badass AD ran off a HOF coach.....ooooooo

No the the solution was our big bad ass AD running off a HOF coach who is 86-41 over the past ten years and probably hiring Levar so we can be the new Rutgers. that’s the solution.

No the the solution was our big bad ass AD running off a HOF coach who is 86-41 over the past ten years and probably hiring Levar so we can be the new Rutgers. that’s the solution.
Bro, did you make yourself a "jump to conclusions" mat. You are skipping an entire step here, Kirk is not being fired, I think you need to understand that the Ferentz that was fired was his son, Iowa's current offensive coordinator, Brian Ferentz

Reactions: 83Hawk
You'd think KF was 45 years old when you read this sort of hand wringing. Like it or not, Kirk is going to be done, now or in a few years.

The landscape of the conference and competition is changing, will continue to change. Iowa football will evolve to compete in that new landscape, or resign itself to some humble mediocrity. Some people might say this resignation to humble mediocrity already took place like an erosion over time, Others recall days not that long ago when games against Michigan and OSU were always highly competitive and Wisconsin's program was rarely the division favorite. It's strange how people are forgetting, and settling for something because they are terrified of this change.

Kirk can walk, or he can embrace this as an opportunity to evolve and compete for the big prizes with the big boys in the new conference. I guarantee you, succeed or fail, that any new HC will come in with the goal to be in that competition.

Regardless of what happens, because KF has allowed the offense to bottom out. He, or someone else, is probably looking at a few bad seasons ahead. That's just the hole already created, and the poor timing for allowing it to happen.

Eventually things will be alright, and there might even be touchdowns in Kinnick again.

Yea lets Flush 86-41 record of the last ten years down the toilet so our big bad ass AD can make a media splash, don’t wait till after the season. let’s get rid of KF

A program of this size shouldn't need the outgoing HC to "pass the program off". It's a nice thought, but does that type of thing exist anymore? Did Hayden pass things off smoothly?

• Wow
Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
A program of this size shouldn't need the outgoing HC to "pass the program off". It's a nice thought, but does that type of thing exist anymore? Did Hayden pass things off smoothly?
That probably happens about as often as having 2 head coaches over a 40+ year time span. So essentially almost never. The simple act of Kirk resigning rather than being fired would be the exception rather than the rule in FBS, which is highly likely to be what happens whether after this season or in the near future.

Reactions: hawkandroll
Yea lets Flush 86-41 record of the last ten years down the toilet so our big bad ass AD can make a media splash, don’t wait till after the season. let’s get rid of KF
Settle down Mary, Kirk still has a job. Yes, Brian is out as the worst OC in the country. Is Beth suppose to wait for Kirk to do an end of year review of the program, only to decide all is well with the program and that there is nothing wrong other than all the injuries the last three years so Brian deserves another year as OC?

You know that was going to happen, that’s why the Board of Regents and U of I President took action and said enough is enough, Brian is done. They are forcing an option on Kirk, retire or take the challenge to update your offense by finding the best OC, Oline coach, QB coach, and wr coach you can find to improve on that side of the ball.

Who knows, what if Iowa wins more games in the coming years, a B1G title, and earns a play off berth. That can happen with the necessary changes on offense with the defense and special teams Iowa plays. Change is good when forced out of your comfort zone and KF has been comfortable for far too long.

lIke it couldnt have been handled after the season. This wasdone now for one reason only , to push out KF.

I’ll settle down and lmao at idiots like you when we are the new Rutgers over the next ten years. I’m sure Levar will be an upgrade , Lmao

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT