ADVERTISEMENT

Beth Goetz could be set up perfectly to be a generational villain for Hawkeye football history

In the end, the villains should be Barta and Kirk for not reassigning Brian to something other than OC when it was clear that is what needed to be done. They are the ones that forced this situation to happen.

I think Kirk will step down after this season and that is very unfortunate but it had to happen this way. I am concerned for what comes next for Iowa football. I know many on this board are confident we'll land a great hire that we'll not only maintain our success but reach new heights. I'm not so confident in that. I think it'll be an up and down ride after Kirk leaves.
I agree.

But I could see 10 years from now all people remembering is Beth was the one that fired Brian that spiraled the program (if we happen to fall off).

But completely agree with you that Kirk & Barta are to blame for this mess.

Just not sure if history will be remembered that way or not.

lIke it couldnt have been handled after the season. This wasdone now for one reason only , to push out KF.

I’ll settle down and lmao at idiots like you when we are the new Rutgers over the next ten years. I’m sure Levar will be an upgrade , Lmao
The powers that be and big money boosters are tired of the narrative of Iowa being a national laughing stock is why the change was made now. And no one is to blame for it more than Kirk Ferentz with his refusal to fix it himself. Again, KF wasn’t fired, his son was.

Reactions: Bruceman44
We're a national laughingstock, and starting next year we're not going to benefit from playing in a Charmin soft division.
You realize most of the country laughs at the state of Iowa and Iowans in general anyway right? We are all farmers out hoeing crops and slopping hogs or growing them taters.

lIke it couldnt have been handled after the season. This wasdone now for one reason only , to push out KF.

I’ll settle down and lmao at idiots like you when we are the new Rutgers over the next ten years. I’m sure Levar will be an upgrade , Lmao
LOL at Kirk getting upset about it not being handled at the end of the season. He pulled that last year and then handled nothing at the end of the season.

I don't see BG being a villain at all. I think she did her damn job. Good start for her in my opinion. It's not a left or right agenda thing either, she just did what was necessary. Good for her and for us.

You forgot to include the record over the last 10 years in this post. Now I don't know what you're talking about.

Reactions: 83Hawk
Kirk held the Iowa program hostage by continuing to employ his son. Kirk spoke about the Iowa program and players being the most important during his entire press conference, but put his son’s wellbeing over everything, obviously.

Yes, it could have been handled in the offseason. It should have been handled last offseason. That’s on no one but Kirk.

LOL at Kirk getting upset about it not being handled at the end of the season. He pulled that last year and then handled nothing at the end of the season.
And just because Kirk did it this way doesn't mean it's the only way too handle it. There's almost no way any program wouldn't have been forced to do the same when you have offensive output as bad as ours

Reactions: iahawks10
If anyone has set the Iowa program back by decades, it's Barta, KF, and BF.
The number of wins and winning percentage over the last 10 years says otherwise.

I’m not a BF supporter, but I do think KF has built the program into a perennial top 25 program. That is far from setting it back decades. The offense - sure. The program in total? Not even close!

It’s really straight forward in my opinion. If the program sustains or improves the current level of success, she is a hero and 100% responsible. If the program regresses, and certainly if it tanks, she is an absolute villain and 100% responsible.

That is the price of leadership - you are accountable for the results under your charge.

She moved on from Brian, and by extension is moving on from Kirk (either now or the near future). That is only half of her job - the other half is CRITICALLY important and that is building a successful roadmap forward.

• Love
Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
First, let me start off by saying Brian had to be let go & she did the right thing if he wouldn’t resign.

But let’s just say this pissed Kirk off so much that he walks away at the end of the year.

Instead of using these last few years of his contract to find a smooth way to pass the program off to his successor we are forced into a hire this off season.

Hopefully the next coach will be successful but it wouldn’t be all that shocking to see Iowa fall off as a top 25 program.

Which could be 10, 15, 20 years if we can’t get the right hires.

Again, she did what had to be done but if we struggle for years after this chain of events, unfortunately for her, she’ll be remembered as the person that set Iowa football back.

Tough situation for her. I know I wouldn’t want her job right now.
"Let's just say" is the crux of your hypothesis? Despite what some think, KF is an adult. He is 68 years old and has led the Iowa Football program for 25 years with very good results. He is not a child that is going to take his ball and go home when things don't go his way.

That being said, I do believe he will retire after this year and planned to do so for sometime. BG firing his son may be on the list of reasons but it is closer to the bottom than the top.

I also believe that BG and Barb Wilson have been informed as to KF's plans and the transition to a new HC has been in the works for sometime.

The next HC is going to work out or not. It's got nothing to do with firing BF.

This had to be done, regardless of "how" and "when". There is rarely a "good" time to do it.

Bottom line: it's done, and now we move on and see how the team responds. Believe it or not, even being a lame-duck OC, Brian still bleeds Black & Gold.

I think the AD got pushed by the big donors that something needed to be done now.
Iowa looked terrible!

I think the most shocking thing from the press conference is that he's sticking with Deacon Hill and actually thinks he's doing some good things. Good grief, I know he plays favorites but what the heck did Labas do? It's crazy! There are open receivers and plays to be made but Hill just rifles the ball on every throw and is wildly inaccurate.

Boy this sure feels like the football version of what people said and did to force the retiring of Dr Tom Davis. I remember it very well, sweet 16s were not good enough for the basketball people back then and you can plug-in the same narratives that are being used today for football. Things like “if we only had this coach or we only did this, we could get to the elite eight, final four or national titles”, well looking back how did that all work out? Now it feels like the same thing is taking place, only with the football program, years later because people are more worried about how a team goes about getting it wins- solid defense/special teams and and ball control offense. Only the ball control offense has been taking on water with injuries, questionable play calling, etc…(fill in the blank as it has been beaten to death by armchair quarterback fans) and some of this can be agreed on by all fans…but the last time I checked (whether I like it or not) W’s and L’s is always the end goal (NO MATTER HOW IT LOOKS or is achieved within the rules). I hear the argument, “well look how much better we could be only if the offense was this or that, we could have this or do that” and in a perfect world (and the non-existent ability to predict the future) that would be awesome but there are so many variables and it just doesn’t exist, no matter what. Again, this sounds A LOT like the end of the Dr Tom Davis era only the football equivalent and, again, how did that work out? I for one appreciate that given the teams current identity in recent years, we win a lot more than we lose and at the end of the day, that is the goal.

Guys, @Chucksizzle1 is absolutely correct. There isn't a coach on this green earth outside of Kirk Ferentz that could possible have one iota of success at Iowa. Therefore, Kirk needs to immediately be given a lifetime contract until he literally dies on the field. Then, and only then, can Iowa hired one of his sons to take over.
Plus, as 83 said earlier, Beth's wife really hates living in Iowa City!

Maybe something could have been handled after the season like a professional would have, but then it might not achieve the goal of running off a H O F coach.
Alabama, Clemson, Auburn, Florida, Miami (FL), Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin, USC, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, Arkansas, UCLA, West Virginia, Georgia, Washington, Virginia Tech are all programs that have fired a coordinator in mid-season within the last several years

What???? Have you seen our records the last few years despite our inept offense? This is complete nonsense.
Oh yeah, the records. How many conference titles in the last decade? How many NY6 bowl appearances? NY6 bowl wins?

Lol. You guys act like KF walks on water when all he's done, due almost entirely to Phil Parker, is rack up wins against tomato can opponents in a historically weak division.

Any clue on how many wins Iowa has in the last 5 years against teams that finished the season ranked? I'll give you a hint. One.

good grief some of you people despise change

the man has been here 25 YEARS!!!! and he's 68 YEARS OLD!!!

do you expect him to stay until he's 80????

life throws you curve balls sometimes and you have to take a risk or two in a highly competitive market such as D1 college football.
amen. and i love how these people are already setting it up to where if iowa struggles next year with a new staff that means they were right. if kirk and current staff stays, iowa is likely looking at 6-6 next year at best. and the older the coach gets, its not like recruiting will improve. we are currently at the beginning of a hayden ending timeline. these people want our coaches to stay 30 years just to avoid a possible bad hire or two. pathetic. fran also needs to go. he somehow wasted the murray brothers by playing his own sons more minutes.

Iowa football existed before KF, and it will exist long after KF.
bruceman44: amen. and i love how these people are already setting it up to where if iowa struggles next year with a new staff that means they were right. if kirk and current staff stays, iowa is likely looking at 6-6 next year at best.
---------------------------------------------
Yep. I'm amazed at how some seem to think KFz is immortal. He was going to leave sometime in the next few years. He's pushing 70. Hell, some speculated that this was his last year back in August. All this does (potentially) is move up the time line a few years.

As others have mentioned, the schedule gets a hell of a lot tougher next year. The record is gonna be worse with KFz or a replacement.

Reactions: amahawk and Niko13
No, it will be Iowa football programs mess, for many years. but hey, our big badass AD ran off a HOF coach.....ooooooo

If KF hangs it up. That’s on him. With his contract he’s the only one deciding if he’s done the next few years. If he leaves or retires because he’s all butt hurt she got rid of his incompetent that’s on him. She made the rational and logical decision that KF refused to do because he was blinded by the loyalty to his son. If Brian had any other last name he wouldn’t be the OC this year. Beth did what Kirk refused to do and that’s put the Iowa program’s best interest ahead of the Ferentz family.

Holy straw man , derp derp

Iowa is #12 in the nation in wins over the past ten years. 86-41, but but but

Prepare for a decade of cellar dwelling losing football, let’s hire Levar and run off KF
lmao
Your look backward is accurate I believe, but it is not accurate to project those same level of results forward if a change wasn't made. Transitions from coaches are difficult, as evidenced by the lull in performance between Fry & Ferentz. That one seemed "unmanaged." On the other hand the "managed" change from Dr. Tom may have been over-managed.

amen. and i love how these people are already setting it up to where if iowa struggles next year with a new staff that means they were right. if kirk and current staff stays, iowa is likely looking at 6-6 next year at best. and the older the coach gets, its not like recruiting will improve. we are currently at the beginning of a hayden ending timeline. these people want our coaches to stay 30 years just to avoid a possible bad hire or two. pathetic. fran also needs to go. he somehow wasted the murray brothers by playing his own sons more minutes.
They’re already setting the table for a, “If that durn Beth Goetz hadn’t run Brian and Kirk off, we’d be winning these games!!1!” bullshit argument when the roster Kirk left behind struggles next year to win games in the midst of a possible coaching transition. They’re going to crow every time Iowa struggles, and they’ll think it’s clever.

You must be a Ferentz relative or part of the football program. The way you're throwing a fit.

Predicting the future is impossible and who knows what Iowa football will be with or without KF. We could keep BF and the rest of the off staff the next 3 years and have the same total results or with the divisions going away and a slip with the def drop off a map.
Same with a new coach, impossible to tell if they will succeed or fail. KF has many options now and its his choice on which way to go for Iowa and himself.

First, let me start off by saying Brian had to be let go & she did the right thing if he wouldn’t resign.

But let’s just say this pissed Kirk off so much that he walks away at the end of the year.

Instead of using these last few years of his contract to find a smooth way to pass the program off to his successor we are forced into a hire this off season.

Hopefully the next coach will be successful but it wouldn’t be all that shocking to see Iowa fall off as a top 25 program.

Which could be 10, 15, 20 years if we can’t get the right hires.

Again, she did what had to be done but if we struggle for years after this chain of events, unfortunately for her, she’ll be remembered as the person that set Iowa football back.

Tough situation for her. I know I wouldn’t want her job right now.
You're suggesting there has to be a transition? If she fired his ass tomorrow she might win a Nobel Piece Prize from Iowa fans.

If KF walks away she just saved the U of Iowa 32 large. She'd be a hero in my eyes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT