ADVERTISEMENT

BF and Davis

That might have qualified as an answer.....or possibly creeping....I'm not sure.
Not sure that Brian is all that bad. We have a QB that is poor at throwing on the run and a rather porous offensive line on the inside. Brian knows the short term fix, but does not have a player with the tools. IDK why, but Stanley just cannot square up his shoulders to throw when rolling outside the pocket.

I’d rather Mansell or Deuce come in next year and play the pure pocket passers are outdated in college football in my opinion...(which really doesn’t mean anything) lol

I don't think the offense is as bad as some think. We certainly need to do better inside of the 30, but we are about middle of the pack on yards per play and likely close in yards per possession.
People read to much into yards per game, scoring, total rushing, etc. Those numbers dont fit the Iowa game plan. We slow the game down and that in turn limits those stats.
That said, the only one that matters is wins and losses and we have missed on two winnable games already.

If some people are to be believed we are in the 21st year of oc futility. On a related note, OCs who didn't work for Meyer, Saban, Stoops, Swinney, Carroll, and Brown during their NC years are the worst. Oops strike out Brown.

Illinois just scored 25 points on the same Michigan team Iowa scored 3 points on. Iowa has an offensive issue with the line, qb, and OC. This Purdue game is make or break for the remainder of the season. We will learn a lot on Saturday - score touchdowns or kick field goals.
That’s apples to basketballs. Michigan was killing them, lost interest and a modicum of intensity. Then Michigan woke up and AGAIN stepped on their throat

Illinois just scored 25 points on the same Michigan team Iowa scored 3 points on. Iowa has an offensive issue with the line, qb, and OC. This Purdue game is make or break for the remainder of the season. We will learn a lot on Saturday - score touchdowns or kick field goals.
But Purdue is not a good football team, so even if we win it doesn't say much about the Hawkeyes. We're never going to get anywhere losing to every damn quality Big Ten opponent. At some point we have to start beating someone that matters.

But Purdue is not a good football team, so even if we win it doesn't say much about the Hawkeyes. We're never going to get anywhere losing to every damn quality Big Ten opponent. At some point we have to start beating someone that matters.

I agree. That’s why I’m stating Iowa only scored three points vs Michigan, Illinois 25. Iowa has to beat teams like Michigan and PSU w/ three year starter at qb.

That’s apples to basketballs. Michigan was killing them, lost interest and a modicum of intensity. Then Michigan woke up and AGAIN stepped on their throat

And excuses are like a holes, everyone has one. So tired of the excuses with this OC and his inability to calls plays that attack the opposing team’s weakness or where they are coming from on the blitz.

And excuses are like a holes, everyone has one. So tired of the excuses with this OC and his inability to calls plays that attack the opposing team’s weakness or where they are coming from on the blitz.
You were posting about Illinois v Michigan

You were posting about Illinois v Michigan

Yes, and it reverts back to the Iowa OC not being able to adjust, call plays to score more than 3 points, while the Illini OC adjusted and had his team score 25 points against Michigan.

BF is not a D1 OC. He was handed the job with little to no experience at a major D1 program and that should never happen. Name a D1 program that would of hired him to be their OC? I will answer for you.....not one.

Yes, and it reverts back to the Iowa OC not being able to adjust, call plays to score more than 3 points, while the Illini OC adjusted and had his team score 25 points against Michigan.

BF is not a D1 OC. He was handed the job with little to no experience at a major D1 program and that should never happen. Name a D1 program that would of hired him to be their OC? I will answer for you.....not one.
Didn't MI's D have injured players that came back for Iowa?

Didn't MI's D have injured players that came back for Iowa?

Yes, and they also played vs Illinois.

The point is Iowa’s OC couldn’t and didn’t adjust in game while Illinois’ OC did, to the tune of 25 points. Wisconsin and Air Force gashed Michigan running the ball by attacking the edges, yet Iowa ran the ball only between the tackles.

Reactions: Bigfann1966

The point is Iowa’s OC couldn’t and didn’t adjust in game while Illinois’ OC did, to the tune of 25 points. Wisconsin and Air Force gashed Michigan running the ball by attacking the edges, yet Iowa ran the ball only between the tackles.
Brian is in over his head. The guy wasn't ready for this, nor did he deserve the position. Nepotism.

I think there has been a bigger problem with skill position recruiting and development and offensive line play in the last 8 years more than offensive system or play calling.

Wisconsin's longest run of the day was between the tackles. Taylor's 72 yard TD run. They also have a better OL than Iowa.

I think there has been a bigger problem with skill position recruiting and development and offensive line play in the last 8 years more than offensive system or play calling.
So we FINALLY get some skill guys on the outside (ISM/Smith/Nico/Tracy/Martin and throw in Goodson) and NOW we have OL issues? I've been waiting 5 years for the WR group to improve, now it finally happens and the famed Iowa OL is very porous, especially at OG.

Very frustrating and no, we don't need creative or better play calling, it doesn't matter what we call from the sidelines, if you don't block, it won't work, regardless of level of football or what team it is. I remember when we beat OSU at Kinnick in '17, a big part of that game was Urbz insistence to play us straight up and not blitz, but they had a few OL dinged and it showed. Even the famed, storied and loaded with 5 star OSU couldn't properly replace their stud LT.

Last edited:
Reactions: onionman1
I like BF offense, I think the guard play is limiting what he is comfortable calling, although it wouldn't hurt to take a couple more 50/50 shots to B. Smith!

Be careful, that outback guy is the board’s football savant ;)

No, just very frustrated Iowa has a top 30 D most years and an underwhelming offense more than not every year. I just don’t get putting pressure on the D every game to win the ballgame when the offense should be leaned upon to win the game too or take pressure off the D. Wouldn’t you agree?

No, just very frustrated Iowa has a top 30 D most years and an underwhelming offense more than not every year. I just don’t get putting pressure on the D every game to win the ballgame when the offense should be leaned upon to win the game too or take pressure off the D. Wouldn’t you agree?
Yes....I am not defending the O, however it is more complimentary to the D than what is seen on the surface.

the deliberate approach with play clock and style keeps the Ds snap count low. makes the stats look more dominating than we sometimes think we are. Last week our Ds inability to stonewall psu run game in the 2nd half hurt the D as they wore out a smidge, and really hurt the O as we got killed in the field position battle. The offense’s deliberate approach to time control also skews their stats a bit lower. Long fields really eff things up, especially when they happen as much as they have vs psu....and Rutgers

Irregardless of our scheme, everyone involved wants more punch

As much as I dislike our offense and always have under KF... is there any possibility that Kirk is limiting what these coaches do on offense? Seems like no matter who is at the helm it is the same offense...

I too feel for our defense...its enough to come out and take care of your own business and then have the offense setting you up for failure with turning the ball over close to the red zone several times the last two games!

One could also argue that he is a servicable QB with a OL that isnt doing well and lack of receivers that can create separation.

Add in, the running game hasnt developed to give any consistent help.

QUOTE="SansSouci, post: 6979466, member: 10696"]Stanley is a problem. Do watch any other teams? He’s garbage.[/QUOTE]

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
“Btw- to the posters that are already crushing Petras, calling him an unathletic statue? WTH is that based on”

Based on people not knowing what they are talking about, mentioning an opinion only that others then take as truth. He rushed for 310 yds as a junior for 7 TDs and 223 yds for 9 TDs as a senior. Not exactly a statue. Coaches know and see what he can do...that is why he is the backup.
Go Hawks!

Reactions: FormerPlayer07
Let's see - OL and skilled positions. Is there some other position on offense? Just say it, the offense sucks and the buck goes through BF and ends at KF. He had to hire his son instead of a good OC.

Reactions: steventrelain
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT