ADVERTISEMENT

Biden says he would ‘strongly support’ moving MLB All-Star Game out of Georgia over voting law

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
As pressure builds to move the MLB All-Star Game out of Georgia over the state’s restrictive new voting law, one particularly well-known baseball fan has expressed his support for the move: President Biden.

“I think today’s professional athletes are acting incredibly responsibly. I would strongly support them doing that,” Biden told ESPN in an interview late Wednesday. “People look to them. They’re leaders.”
The divisive new law, which was signed last week by Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp (R), enacts a set of sweeping voting changes that critics say would restrict access to the ballot. It imposes new identification requirements for mail-in ballots and makes it a crime for third-party groups to hand out food and water to voters standing in line, among other measures.

As dozens of GOP-led state legislatures across the country consider similar restrictions on the casting and counting of ballots, the Georgia bill has emerged as an early flash point in the partisan war over voting rights — pulling in plenty of figures from outside state houses.

Debates over Georgia's voting law and the filibuster rile lawmakers

Democrats criticized a Republican-led effort to restrict voting in Georgia on March 28, while Republicans slammed attempts to alter the Senate filibuster. (Amber Ferguson/The Washington Post)
Georgia governor signs into law sweeping voting bill that curtails the use of drop boxes and imposes new ID requirements for mail voting
Some of the largest companies based in the Peach State, including Coca-Cola and Delta Air Lines, have spoken out against the law in recent days after the firms faced criticism for not publicly opposing it before the law passed. Most major Hollywood studios, which have a large production presence in the Atlanta area, have remained noticeably quiet.
AD

Now, with MLB’s All-Star Game set to be played at Atlanta’s Truist Park in July, eyes are turning to world of sports.

Several big names in the MLB have called for the league to discuss moving the game out of Georgia. Among those is Tony Clark, the executive director of the MLB Players Association, who said that players were “very much aware” of the new law.
“We have not had a conversation with the league on that issue. If there is an opportunity to, we would look forward to having that conversation,” Clark told the Boston Globe last week.
As Biden sat down for an interview on “SportsCenter” the night before Opening Day, co-host Sage Steele asked the president about Clark’s comments.
He pointed in response to the NBA, which has seen many of its top stars, including LeBron James, embracing the Black Lives Matter movement and other sociopolitical issues.
AD

“Look at what’s happened across the board,” said Biden, a Phillies fan. “The very people who are victimized the most are the people who are the leaders in these various sports, and it’s just not right.”
Georgia sports teams and major companies such as Coca-Cola and Delta Air Lines condemn new state voting law
Georgia’s new law also expands early-voting hours; limits the use of drop boxes for absentee ballots; allows electors to challenge the eligibility of an unlimited number of voters; blocks the use of mobile voting vans; and keeps local governments from directly accepting private-sector grants.
Republicans have boosted the law after former president Donald Trump made false claims about election fraud in six states he lost, including Georgia. Other GOP-majority legislatures around the country are considering similar measures.

But Democrats, as well as voting-rights advocates, have said the bill would cut off ballot access for many Georgia voters, particularly those in larger counties with significant Black populations.
AD

ADVERTISING

Biden echoed those criticisms on ESPN, saying, “This is Jim Crow on steroids, what they’re doing in Georgia and 40 other states.”
MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred said that he and Clark have discussed the possibility of moving the game out of Atlanta, but did not indicate when he would make a decision.
“I am talking to various constituencies within the game and I’m just not going beyond that in terms of what I would consider or not consider,” Manfred told the Associated Press on Wednesday.

Reactions: Chishawk1425
Hawks should sit out the home game against the Warriors on Sunday, I'm sure Kerr would accommodate.

This hasn't aged well...

(CNN)President Joe Biden on Friday called a sweeping elections bill signed into law in Georgia "Jim Crow in the 21st Century" and "an atrocity," saying the Justice Department is "taking a look" at the measure.

This hasn't aged well...

(CNN)President Joe Biden on Friday called a sweeping elections bill signed into law in Georgia "Jim Crow in the 21st Century" and "an atrocity," saying the Justice Department is "taking a look" at the measure.

??

Reactions: RileyHawk
The Georgia voting law wasn't Jim Crow 2.0....not even close.

Record turnout in primaries and record turnout in the first day of voting. It was all overblown hyperbolic nonsense...
So, some Jim Crow-like attempts to make it harder for blacks to vote — which it was most certainly designed to do — gets a pass because folks got all reactively and proactively organized to essentially throw a big ass middle finger at these attempts?

Im surprised at you sometimes. I feel like you’re smarter than thjs.

The attempts to depress/suppress the vote are very real. That these attempts may have kind of backfired in the short term don’t change the intent. Because the intent of the changes is so clear, of course people got fired up and organized and thus this initial bump. Again, doesn’t change the intent. And let’s see how this plays out over time.

Think, man. Damn.

So, some Jim Crow-like attempts to make it harder for blacks to vote — which it was most certainly designed to do — gets a pass because folks got all reactively and proactively organized to essentially throw a big ass middle finger at these attempts?

The attempts to depress/suppress the vote are very real. That these attempts may have kind of backfired in the short term don’t change the intent. Because the intent of the changes is so clear, of course people got fired up and organized and thus this initial bump. Again, doesn’t change the intent. And let’s see how this plays out over time.

Think, man. Damn.
It isn't Jim Crow 2.0. The Georgia law isn't suppressing the vote.

I'm pretty confident the tally after this election will confirm that...

Last edited:
  • Haha
I finally understand what’s going on

The reason some of you don’t understand race issues in this country is because you are morons. It is nice to have that cleared up

Think, man. Damn.
Don't let the actual facts that the law DOESN"T suppress the vote, get in the way of your predetermined attempt at playing racial politics. People like you are the reason democracy is beginning to fail. When morons vote simply based on predetermined stereotypes and story lines and ignore the actual facts staring at them right in the face, the democracy is doomed. Congrats for making you ignorance clear to all.

MLB ...

GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Reactions: abby97
I thought it was determined the Georgia voting “scare” was all a hoax when it was bumped up against several other states and determined it was still more accessible and convenient to all voters regardless of race.

The whole "suppressing the vote" mantra reminds me of the Yogi Berra line ...

"Nobody goes to that restaurant any more because it's too crowded"

It isn't Jim Crow 2.0. The Georgia law isn't suppressing the vote.

I'm pretty confident the tally after this election will confirm that...
I don’t give a flying fück wether the law is currently suppressing the vote. Read the law, do some reading on what the law is actually designed to do.

Or just ask this: Is Georgia trying to make it easier or harder for certain communities to vote? And why?

Consider the directionality of your skepticism, and unpack that a bit for just long enough to get over your emotional reaction to the hyperbolic 2.0’thing. Yes, there is hyperbole there. But that doesn’t negate that the law, itself, is most definitely designed to make it (even) harder for certain communities (and precincts) to vote. It’s not like the reaction, whatever levels of hyperbolic statements might rise to the top of our candyassed Americans instatiable need for emotional bullshit feeds, is completely unfounded.

Fück me I can’t believe how blocked people are from doing some actual thinking.

I don’t give a flying fück wether the law is currently suppressing the vote. Read the law, do some reading on what the law is actually designed to do.

Or just ask this: Is Georgia trying to make it easier or harder for certain communities to vote? And why?

Consider the directionality of your skepticism, and unpack that a bit for just long enough to get over your emotional reaction to the hyperbolic 2.0’thing. Yes, there is hyperbole there. But that doesn’t negate that the law, itself, is most definitely designed to make it (even) harder for certain communities (and precincts) to vote. It’s not like the reaction, whatever levels of hyperbolic statements might rise to the top of our candyassed Americans instatiable need for emotional bullshit feeds, is completely unfounded.

Rudolph, do you think voter ID laws suppress the black vote?

Last edited:
Funny, given you have avoided addressing any part of my argument, other than to actually represent the argument itself by your stubborn (or dumb) insistence to look only at the current, immediate effect of the law.
You said...."I don’t give a flying fück wether the law is currently suppressing the vote."

Isn't that the whole point Rudolph?

If it isn't suppressing the vote....what the hell is your point?

Comparing the Georgia law to Jim Crow was beyond ridiculous. I just wish the D's would learn that exaggeration doesn't strengthen their arguments. They do this repeatedly to their detriment.

I thought it was determined the Georgia voting “scare” was all a hoax when it was bumped up against several other states and determined it was still more accessible and convenient to all voters regardless of race.
Correct, it is more accessible than Colorado and Delaware ... and there are many more examples.

You said...."I don’t give a flying fück wether the law is currently suppressing the vote."

Isn't that the whole point Rudolph?

If it isn't suppressing the vote....what the hell is your point?

Comparing the Georgia law to Jim Crow was beyond ridiculous. I just wish the D's would learn that exaggeration doesn't strengthen their arguments. They do this repeatedly to their detriment.
It’s like you can’t read. Look at the law. Consider, using some basic understanding of history, the intent of the law. Then consider the reaction, find out why this law has actually, in the immediate aftermath, rallied those whose voting it intends to suppress to, essentially, organize to overcome the obstacles/inconveniencings the law intends to create.

Set aside the hyperbolic statements. Just look at the law, consider it in historical context, then look at the reaction to the law by groups and organizations that rallied and organized to, essentially, defeat the intent of the law.

Get out of the tribal messaging crap and just look at this with some pragmatism, historical context, and maybe even try to flip your reflexive, specifically-targeted skepticism.

It’s like you can’t read. Look at the law. Consider, using some basic understanding of history, the intent of the law. Then consider the reaction, find out why this law has actually, in the immediate aftermath, rallied those whose voting it intends to suppress to, essentially, organize to overcome the obstacles/inconveniencings the law intends to create.

Set aside the hyperbolic statements. Just look at the law, consider it in historical context, then look at the reaction to the law by groups and organizations that rallied and organized to, essentially, defeat the intent of the law.

Get out of the tribal messaging crap and just look at this with some pragmatism, historical context, and maybe even try to flip your reflexive, specifically-targeted skepticism.
We'll just have to agree to disagree on this Rudolph.

Look at the reaction from whom? People spouting crap that isn't true? I posted in depth a rebuttal to nearly every false talking point.

• Haha
Not to mention the demographics of the early voting aren't known yet. Very well could be that this impacted the republican's target as designed.

Several of you are essentially saying "yeah, we tried to suppress voting but it didn't work so it's all good". It's not. The reaction is due to the outrage at the effort and intent. Hopefully that continues country wide.

• Haha
Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
Look at the reaction from whom? People spouting crap that isn't true? I posted in depth a rebuttal to nearly every false talking point.
JFC this is EXACTLY what I mean by brain-blocked. Just read my posts unemotionally. Like, actually slow down, breathe, and read. Maybe slow wayyyy down.

I read your posts and I shake my head. Reading them fast or slow or many, many times won't correct the fallacies you post.
Point to a singular fallacy. Because your response is completely in line with one of my main points.

I thought I did....the premise of those points is false. The law wasn't suppressing the vote and the results so far show that.

Like I said...hyperbolic nonsense.
Okay then what is the intent and purpose of he law, in your analysis?

Try again;)

1. Early voting expands in most Georgia counties

Nearly 2.7 million Georgians voted early during the 2020 general election and the new law will offer more opportunities for early voting in most of Georgia's counties. There will be at least 17 days of early voting, starting on the Monday that is 22 days before Election Day until the Friday before an election.

2. ID is now required not just for in-person voting, but also for mail-in voting

Previously in Georgia, a form of identification was required for voting in person but not for voting absentee by mail. The new law requires those requesting and returning ballots by mail to also submit a driver's license number or state ID number. If the voter does not have one, he or she can submit a photocopy of a different form of identification. The county registrar's offices or the Georgia Department of Driver Services can issue free state ID cards. When a voter returns an absentee ballot, he or she can also provide the last four digits of their Social Security number in place of an ID number.

3. Absentee voting: New rules regulate drop boxes and shorten time frame for requesting and returning mail ballots

While no-excuse absentee voting has been in place in Georgia since 2005, the state didn't authorize the use of secure drop boxes as a way to return ballots until the 2020 election, as a response to the pandemic. The new law mandates at least one drop box per county, but restricts where they may be placed and when they may be accessed.

4. Food and drink distribution to voters in line by non-poll workers is banned, but "self-service" water stands are allowed

One of the most contentious provisions is Georgia's ban on giving voters food or water while they're in line at the polls. During the primary last June, precincts around the state were plagued by hours-long lines, and voting rights groups were quick to point out that the late spring and summer heat make the ban on distributing food and water especially onerous. Volunteers and third-party groups regularly hand out water on hot days or hot drinks on cold days to voters standing in line.

Georgia had already outlawed campaigns or other groups from distributing or displaying any campaign material within 150 feet of a polling place or within 25 feet of any voters standing in line for a polling site, and the new law now bans giving voters any gifts, "including but not limited to, food and drink."

Gabriel Sterling, one of the top officials at the Georgia secretary of state's office, told CBS affiliate WMAZthat the ban is meant to prevent groups from using food and water to campaign within the restricted areas. The law provides an exception to allow poll workers to set up "self-service water" so people waiting in line can stay hydrated.

5. Changes to in-person voting are being implemented to address long lines and reduce provisional voting

Georgia's new law makes a few changes to in-person voting, including efforts to mitigate long lines and changing the rules around provisional ballots.

The law also attempts to address long lines, demanding that counties with any precinct with over 2,000 voters in the last election or one that kept voters waiting for over an hour to vote must create an additional precinct or add more resources to reduce wait times.

6. State election board will have new powers and won't be chaired by the secretary of state

The five-person state election board will no longer be chaired by the secretary of state, who now becomes a "non voting ex officio member." GOP Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger has been at the center of attacks by fellow Republicans for pushing back against attacks from former President Trump.

The chair and board members will be elected by the General Assembly, giving more power to the Republican-controlled state legislature. But no members of the board may serve simultaneously in the state legislature. And while elected by the legislature, the chair is supposed to be non-partisan. The new law prohibits the chair from actively participating in a political party or organization, donating to a political campaign, or running for public office during his or her service and in the two years preceding the term as chair.

The state election board has new powers over local election officials. It can, for instance, suspend county or municipal superintendents based on performance or violation of election board rules, after first conducting a preliminary investigation and hearing. It may then appoint temporary replacements, but it can't suspend more than four officials.

7. Results are to be reported faster

CBS News didn't project a winner in the presidential race in Georgia until 10 days after Election Day, partly because it took counties so long to count the massive influx of mail ballots. There are several new provisions in SB 202 that will likely lead to faster results in future elections. Because of the pandemic, the state election board passed an emergency rule in 2020 that enabled election workers to start processing absentee ballots 15 days before Election Day in November and the January runoffs.

The new law codifies that change, meaning workers will be able to start processing, but not tabulating, absentee ballots 15 days before Election Day for future elections. County officials will be allowed to start tabulating absentee ballots after 7 a.m. on Election Day, but results can't be reported until polls close. Counties must now report returns from absentee ballots by 5 p.m. the day after Election Day or else they could face an investigation.

The new law also requires election officials to post the total number of ballots cast, including Election Day, early voting and absentee ballots, by 10 p.m. on Election Day. The intent is to provide a clearer picture of how many votes were cast early in the counting process. Under the new law, election workers will not be able to stop counting ballots once they've started, so that they can produce faster results. With the new procedures comes a shorter timeline for counties to certify results: six days, rather than 10.

8. Voters may call a new hotline with complaints alleging voter intimidation or illegal activity

The new law allows the Georgia attorney general to set up a hotline for voters to file complaints and allegations of voter intimidation or illegal activity. Georgians may also call anonymously. The attorney general is able to review each allegation to determine if it should be investigated or prosecuted.

Separately, a provision in SB 202 allows a voter to make unlimited challenges to another voter's qualifications to cast a ballot.

Leading up to the 2020 election runoffs, True the Vote, a conservative group, challenged the eligibility of 360,000 voters, but courts blocked the effort. Allowing voters to make unlimited challenges may bog down election officials and could make it difficult for voters to prove they are eligible when they may have done nothing wrong. The state board of elections could establish procedures designed to make sure that illegitimate challenges don't place a burden on legitimate voters.

9. Runoff election period will be five weeks shorter

Following Georgia's high-profile Senate runoffs, which delivered Senate control to Democrats, the state is changing its runoff process. The law still requires a candidate to win a majority of votes to avoid a runoff, but SB 202 abbreviates the runoff period.

Previously, nine weeks separated the general election from the runoff, but the new law now requires a runoff to be held 28 days after the election. The law says early voting should start "as soon as possible" before a runoff, but only requires early voting to be held on Monday through Friday. Some counties may not offer weekend early voting during runoff elections, depending how long it takes to finish work from the previous election.

Because of the shorter period before a runoff election, military and overseas voters will have ranked-choice voting on their general election or primary ballots.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT