ADVERTISEMENT

Biden's team bracing for special counsel's report on classified docs

binsfeldcyhawk2

HR Legend
Gold Member
Oct 13, 2006
President Biden's team is concerned that special counsel Robert Hur's investigationinto Biden's handling of classified documents will hurt his re-election campaign.

Why it matters: Biden aides don't expect criminal charges in the case, but they believe Hur's report will include embarrassing details — possibly with photos — on how Biden stored documents.

• In late 2022, Obama-era classified documents were discovered in Biden's garage at his home in Delaware and in a private office he used.
  • Biden aides believe that Donald Trump, Biden's likely foe in November, will try to use Hur's report to create equivalency with the felony charges Trump faces related to his keeping classified documents after his presidency.
  • Biden aides believe Hur's probe is done and that his final report could come any time — even as soon as this week — but the final timing is unclear.
Zoom in: Hur, a former U.S. attorney nominated by Trump in 2017 and a former clerk for conservative Chief Justice William Rehnquist, is required to write a report about the investigation.

• Last fall, Garland said on "60 Minutes" that he would make public a special counsel's report on Hunter Biden, the president's son, "to the extent permissible under the law" to "explain [the] ... decisions to prosecute or not prosecute, and their strategic decisions along the way."
  • He added: "Usually, the special counsels have testified at the end of their reports, and I expect that that will be the case here."
  • A Justice Department spokesperson told Axios that Garland is committed to releasing as much as possible of all special counsel reports, pointing to previous comments by Garland.
Even if there are no criminal charges, Biden aides expect the report's details to be politically damaging.

• Biden has defended storing documents from his vice presidency in his garage, saying: "By the way, my Corvette is in a locked garage, so it's not like they're sitting out on the street."
  • Any photos of those storage practices could cause a political storm similar to what happened after the release of photos of Trump storing documents at Mar-a-Lago, including in a bathroom.
  • Trump, who resisted the U.S. government's efforts to retrieve the documents, faces 40 criminal counts in the case including obstruction of justice and willful retention of national defense information.
Zoom out: Garland's appointment of Hur added to the tension between Biden's team and Garland that's been fueled by Garland's appointment of the special counsel investigating Hunter Biden, feelings that Garland was too slow to investigate Trump over Jan. 6, and other frustrations.

• Anthony Coley, a former senior adviser to Garland, caught the Biden team's attention recently when he wrote that Biden and those in his orbit had no one to blame but themselves for Garland's appointment of a special counsel.
  • Coley said Biden's team wasn't initially transparent about the documents and put Garland in a no-win situation.
  • "Against the backdrop of former President Trump's indictment on charges of willful and deliberate retention of classified documents, the Biden team's drip, drip, drip of information made the discoveries seem even worse," Coley wrote.
  • Other legal experts have argued that Biden's team likely was trying to not speak publicly about an ongoing criminal investigation.
Some in Biden's orbit have unflatteringly compared Garland to former FBI Director James Comey and his handling of the investigation into Hillary Clinton's email server.

• Comey ultimately cleared Clinton of criminal wrongdoing, but damaged her election campaign against Trump in July 2016 by making a public statement that she had been "extremely careless" in her security protocols.
What they're saying: The White House and a spokesperson for Biden attorney Bob Bauer declined to comment.

• Biden aides believe that Donald Trump, Biden's likely foe in November, will try to use Hur's report to create equivalency with the felony charges Trump faces related to his keeping classified documents after his presidency.
FyM1h-CWYAEmQ1k.jpeg

Can’t wait to hear about all the secrets Biden disclosed to Kid Rock, Kanye, and whoever was partying with him at his country club on any given night.

Let’s have this fight. Biden’s team should be tickled pink that we get to rehash this.
It’d get rehashed when Trumps case goes to trial.

This is actually great timing for Joe…get it out of the way early.

President Biden's team is concerned that special counsel Robert Hur's investigationinto Biden's handling of classified documents will hurt his re-election campaign.

Why?

• Did he lie about having them?
  • Claim he turned them all over when he didn't?
  • Store them in an unsecured facility that thousands of guests had access to?
  • Actually pass info from them on to random people w/ no security clearance?

Why?

• Did he lie about having them?
  • Claim he turned them all over when he didn't?
  • Store them in an unsecured facility that thousands of guests had access to?
  • Actually pass info from them on to random people w/ no security clearance?
None of that will matter in the media and especially social media.

It's one thing to have them, it's not good, but he gave them up instantly...had Trump did that we wouldn't even be talking about that case

Doesn’t really answer the question of how they got there in the first place. Did someone think they were memoirs and if so….Im assuming they were properly marked.

Can’t wait to hear about all the secrets Biden disclosed to Kid Rock, Kanye, and whoever was partying with him at his country club on any given night.

Let’s have this fight. Biden’s team should be tickled pink that we get to rehash this.
Some smoke it was Lawrence Welk, Jackie Gleason, and Phyllis Diller. Story developing.

Trump’s was BY FAR more egregious! But that’s not the point here, is it.

Thread subject about upcoming release of IC report on Biden, then you pop in with what about Trump. Are you confused?
Hey idiot - tell the class what part of Bins’ post specifically I copied and pasted into my post. What person’s name do Biden’s aides drop?

I award you one JFC.

Hey idiot - tell the class what part of Bins’ post specifically I copied and pasted into my post. What person’s name do Biden’s aides drop?

I award you one JFC.
Thread subject. Walk away with your tail between your pussy.

It would be simple common sense to prepare for worst possible outcomes here. I very much doubt there will be anything criminal found, but still embarrassing for Biden.

Republicans will take the findings to draw false equivalencies to what Trump did however. Biden's team will need to prepare effective counter-messaging for that.

Unfortunately Biden has already admitted to doing it.

Two presidents in a row that can't follow the rules on classified docs.
And therein lies the problem. This opens the door for the Trump campaign to create a false equivalency and mitigate some of the damaging impacts of his criminal actions.

Why even keep the documents, and why not just come clean about it? So stupid.

I love that the defense here is essentially “Joe didn’t knowingly do anything wrong, he’s just really careless with classified documents.”

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
Huey, classified material doesn't end up in a garage if it was handled properly. That's "wrongdoing" 😆

The question has always been if it was "criminal"....it probably wasn't from what I've seen.
So there was no real wrongdoing. Just a mistake. meanwhile Trump intentionally took documents, viewed them as his property, tried hiding them, lied about having them, and very likely sold some of them. Both sides strikes again.

So there was no real wrongdoing. Just a mistake. meanwhile Trump intentionally took documents, viewed them as his property, tried hiding them, lied about having them, and very likely sold some of them. Both sides strikes again.
You do you.

It's ok to simply acknowledge the documents were mishandled.

Trumps case is worse...no argument.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT