ADVERTISEMENT

Big 12 distributes $36.5M to each of the 10 schools; Texas gets additional $15M for Longhorn Network

How again are they getting "bossed around"? Every school has an equal share of Tier 1 and Tier 2. What they do with Tier 3 is up to them. UT and OU make more money with Tier 3 because their Tier 3 programming is worth more. It's called capitalism. Would I rather have a conference network like the BTN and share every penny equally? Sure, but getting $37M plus whatever cyclones.tv makes isn't too bad of a consolation prize. Besides, there is no true equal revenue in any conference due to donations and ticket sales. That $12M extra that UT makes for Tier 3 is dwarfed by what UT gets in donations vs ISU. Just like tOSU makes a ton more in revenue than iowa with their 100k stadium and huge donors. You still beat them last year despite having a much smaller budget. Just like ISU beat OU and could have easily beat UT if Park wasn't in the middle of a mental breakdown.

I agree with you. ISU should be happy with the money they get and hope that Texas and OK keep the conference together. That is what I was getting at. Texas and OK decides the fate of the entire conference.

How again are they getting "bossed around"? Every school has an equal share of Tier 1 and Tier 2. What they do with Tier 3 is up to them. UT and OU make more money with Tier 3 because their Tier 3 programming is worth more. It's called capitalism. Would I rather have a conference network like the BTN and share every penny equally? Sure, but getting $37M plus whatever cyclones.tv makes isn't too bad of a consolation prize. Besides, there is no true equal revenue in any conference due to donations and ticket sales. That $12M extra that UT makes for Tier 3 is dwarfed by what UT gets in donations vs ISU. Just like tOSU makes a ton more in revenue than iowa with their 100k stadium and huge donors. You still beat them last year despite having a much smaller budget. Just like ISU beat OU and could have easily beat UT if Park wasn't in the middle of a mental breakdown.

Bump after seeing that the only way Cyclone fans can watch the game is on LHN. Texas calling the shots and bossing around the other members as usual.

Bump after seeing that the only way Cyclone fans can watch the game is on LHN. Texas calling the shots and bossing around the other members as usual.

To me, this strikes me as an ESPN problem. Evidently ESPN used their Tier 1 Big 12 pick on this game and is choosing to put it on LHN. This is the worst case scenario for UT as well, because they are playing a game on a network that really has very little distribution and viewership.

To me, this strikes me as an ESPN problem. Evidently ESPN used their Tier 1 Big 12 pick on this game and is choosing to put it on LHN. This is the worst case scenario for UT as well, because they are playing a game on a network that really has very little distribution and viewership.

Which is exactly why the Big 12 is vulnerable when the media rights deal comes up for renewal.

No one is going to give Texas what they are getting now and if they leave so will OU to grab one of the few plumb spots that remain. Not saying the Big 12 will fold but in that scenario they no longer exist as a P5 league either.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
Which is exactly why the Big 12 is vulnerable when the media rights deal comes up for renewal.

No one is going to give Texas what they are getting now and if they leave so will OU to grab one of the few plumb spots that remain. Not saying the Big 12 will fold but in that scenario they no longer exist as a P5 league either.
You guys don't get it. Texas is going nowhere. The only viable destination is the ACC, and they aren't going there. If the whole landscape changes then it is a possibility and Iowa is at risk being a small market team. Folks here are under a false sense of security.

You guys don't get it. Texas is going nowhere. The only viable destination is the ACC, and they aren't going there. If the whole landscape changes then it is a possibility and Iowa is at risk being a small market team. Folks here are under a false sense of security.
Iowa is 5th in revenue in the B1G. Isu is 9th in the B12. You are very wrong.

Reactions: HerkyFan

Why would Texas stay if they can’t get the revenue they are getting today with the LHN? I could easily see Texas and OU jumping ship, Notre Dame joining the ACC and there being 4 not 5 P5 conferences.

Last edited:
Why would Texas stay if they can’t get the revenue they are getting today with the LHN? I could easily see Texas and OU jumping ship, Notre Dame joining the ACC and there being 4 not 5 P5 conferences.
To where are they going to go?

They could go to the Big Ten or SEC. Both of which could leverage them to get them closer to or exceed what their current revenue is with the Big 12.
They will never ever go to the B10 in its current makeup. They won't go to the SEC because of academics and aTm. If the B10 were to blow up and change structure they might consider it, but that would certainly put Iowa and others at risk.

They will never ever go to the B10 in its current makeup. They won't go to the SEC because of academics and aTm. If the B10 were to blow up and change structure they might consider it, but that would certainly put Iowa and others at risk.

If Iowa finds itself at risk than that seals ISU's fate. The reality is 'market' isn't defined specifically by population of a state. Brand is involved, revenue is involved because a decent chunk of revenue comes from alumni and donors which reflects on the 'market'. Iowa gets a bump because of the B10 but it still stands pretty firmly on it's own as far as alumni market and eyeballs that watch games which is a significant part of the process. Teams in danger don't jump other teams in bowl pecking order for no reason, it is fanbase and market that help determine that. For all of the ISU fans that are hoping Iowa is 'at risk' I say be careful of what you wish for because no matter how you slice it it Iowa slides down the list ISU will continue to be far lower on that list even though they share the same state. Two different programs on the national level.

Reactions: naturalmwa

So Texas getting their way with the start of the LHN and the members being powerless to stop them had nothing to do with this? Texas always gets what they want, but I understand the other members have to let that happen or their gravy train is over with.

Oklahoma is the only one that can stand up to them and that could be the reason the Big 12 implodes.

Yes because the Big 12 has such great academic standards. Florida, Vanderbilt, Georgia all have pretty good academics. West Virginia was your expansion pick.

Iowa is a pillar in the strongest conference in the nation. Ohio State, Michigan aren't ever leaving the B1G which means Iowa will always have a seat at the table.

If the whole landscape changes then it is a possibility and Iowa is at risk being a small market team.
No, we’re solid. In a new world order it’s more about national brand than market presence. Iowa has a national brand...the clones do not.

No, we’re solid. In a new world order it’s more about national brand than market presence. Iowa has a national brand...the clones do not.

They have a brand, the tv people mention it, the Iowa State Hawkeyes or Cyclones from Iowa City, or the Cyclones with the Tiger Hawk logo.... just has to be a little burr in their saddle at times.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
They have a brand, the tv people mention it, the Iowa State Hawkeyes or Cyclones from Iowa City, or the Cyclones with the Tiger Hawk logo.... just has to be a little burr in their saddle at times.
I've seen this go both ways

If Iowa State is already a stronger brand in basketball, was ranked above Iowa at the end of last season in football, and already higher in preseason polls this year. A loss to I State in football this year would be a major blow.

I don't think that you can say that for sure. Texas already has the infrastructure for the most part. They could lose that ESPN contract, start a streaming service similar to Cyclones.tv (but better) and make a TON of money off of it. Maybe not $15M, but still over 10. They have a huge fanbase and population base. You really think that with their gigantic budget, they are going to jump ship to another conference for $5M? Especially when they are a big fish with a fairly easy path to the playoff?

I don't think that you can say that for sure. Texas already has the infrastructure for the most part. They could lose that ESPN contract, start a streaming service similar to Cyclones.tv (but better) and make a TON of money off of it. Maybe not $15M, but still over 10. They have a huge fanbase and population base. You really think that with their gigantic budget, they are going to jump ship to another conference for $5M? Especially when they are a big fish with a fairly easy path to the playoff?
He doesn't have much of a clue. He actually thinks the B10 is a viable alternative for Texas. There is absolutely no chance of that happening with the B10's current makeup.

If what you are saying was true ESPN wouldn’t be losing their shirt on the LHN. But obvious facts must be ignored by clown fans.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT