ADVERTISEMENT

BIG 24-25

hawkjt

HR Legend
Feb 14, 2004
Watching today's BIG title game I have to concede that Wis will be right there again next year.
Wahl is about their only departure with crowl, storr, Hepburn, klemsmit, Blackburn, Gilmore ECT back.

Illini lose a lot but Underwood recruits like a madman.

MD, NW, PU, Mich trending down
Iowa, Minny, PSU ,MSU IU even.

RU, Neb, Wis OSU trending up.

Watching today's BIG title game I have to concede that Wis will be right there again next year.
Wahl is about their only departure with crowl, storr, Hepburn, klemsmit, Blackburn, Gilmore ECT back.

Heard Storr might leave too.

I’m not convinced on OSU. They certainly have talent, but hiring an assistant coach that went 6-2 in his only stint as head coach seems a gamble to me. Not sure who Nebraska has coming back, but their road record was terrible. Wisconsin is always competitive and Rutgers always has athletes. Lots will depend on the portal, obviously.

The issue of whether he couldn’t benefit greatly financially by another year at Wisconsin before going to the NBA aside, I imagine there will be four members of this year‘s roster offered considerable NIL money to play at other universities. (It’s been reported that Nebraska made a run at Chucky already last summer) At this point, I would have no idea whether there’s enough money there to retain everyone.
It was reported by a respected member of the Madison media that a starter on the B1G Ten conference champions ( who, incidentally,
grew up in rural Wisconsin) received NIL funds of 500K this season. [I believe one of his parents denied this allegation].
While I would like to believe that most of the team will be back, the composition of next year’s Wisconsin roster and that of most other conference teams, seem to be up in the air for now.

Last edited:
Reactions: skydog0784
It used to be fun to speculate about next year, but with NIL and the portal is is a crap shoot. Now, the same teams are still going to usually end up with a bunch of good players, even if most of the current year just left.

I still like Iowa's team, if Tony returns. If healthy, should be a a much more consistently good team than this year.

Now you can tell me about Washington, Oregon, UCLA, and USC.

Now you can tell me about Washington, Oregon, UCLA, and USC.
Washington fired their coach, so I'd expect the entire roster turned over.

Oregon is losing a bunch of their production off of a team that only got into the NCAA tournament due to winning the conference tournament. They have a couple of good guards likely back in Shelstad and Rigsby--they'll need to completely rehaul via the portal for their frontcourt as they are expected to return no one there.

UCLA had a very disappointing season largely because the roster was almost all freshmen. It'll be interesting to see how much of their roster is retained--a lot of their freshmen were European guys who were highly ranked, so it's possible some of those guys go and play in EuroLeague next season to try and get their draft stock improved.

USC is kind of a mess. They stunk this year with a highly ranked PG who will likely be a lottery pick in this year's draft. They went from pre-season top-15 to not even making the NIT. Not really sure what they will have coming back, but Enfield's seat is heating up fast there.

If anyone wants a snapshot of what the rosters are looking like for next season, here it is. Obviously, we are going to see a ton of movement in the next month with the portal and draft decisions. I keep this spreadsheet up to date, and I don't remove anyone until they officially enter the portal/draft (which is why you will still see guys like Collier, Ware, etc who are likely lottery picks still on the sheet).

Great info,Hoops.
Thanks.
I know rosters are fluid now but I still like just checking eligibility on other BIG rosters. So damn hard to know what year a lot of these guys are.
Sounds like Domask of Illini got 500k to play this year.
Illini must have a big payroll.
Shannon had to get at least 500k.

Like in most human endeavors:
Follow the money.
Would love to see this year's payouts/team in the BIG and then really judge who was the most productive based on cash/ wins.

I Would guess that illinois PU Neb MSU OSU and IU are tops in payouts.

Great info,Hoops.
Thanks.
I know rosters are fluid now but I still like just checking eligibility on other BIG rosters. So damn hard to know what year a lot of these guys are.
Sounds like Domask of Illini got 500k to play this year.
Illini must have a big payroll.
Shannon had to get at least 500k.

Like in most human endeavors:
Follow the money.
Would love to see this year's payouts/team in the BIG and then really judge who was the most productive based on cash/ wins.

I Would guess that illinois PU Neb MSU OSU and IU are tops in payouts.
For Big Ten NIL it's:
1. Indiana
2. Illinois

Big Gap

Everyone else

For Big Ten NIL it's:
1. Indiana
2. Illinois

Big Gap

Everyone else
Makes sense...those two are traditional BB schools.
In the good old days it was the three "I" schools that were BB powers in BIG.
Have to wonder how much RU's BB budget will explode next year with # 2 and #3 recruits in country commanding cash.

The portal and NIL can make a huge impact on basketball performance. Just like getting five star recruits. Look at Storr at Wiscy, he made a huge difference for the badgers. One or two players can totally turn the fortunes around for a team

If anyone wants a snapshot of what the rosters are looking like for next season, here it is. Obviously, we are going to see a ton of movement in the next month with the portal and draft decisions. I keep this spreadsheet up to date, and I don't remove anyone until they officially enter the portal/draft (which is why you will still see guys like Collier, Ware, etc who are likely lottery picks still on the sheet).
oooof, This roster.... Hawks need help from the portal.

Just an FYI, but Gillis and Morton have announced that they won't be back next year for Purdue. Also, Kaufman-Renn is actually a RS Soph this year.

Reactions: HawkHoops80
Just an FYI, but Gillis and Morton have announced that they won't be back next year for Purdue. Also, Kaufman-Renn is actually a RS Soph this year.
I wait to remove anyone until they officially enter the draft or portal but yes I'm assuming that they will be off of Purdue's roster next season. Thanks for the heads up on TKR.

Reactions: TheCainer

I swear, Dembele has to be at least 6’10”, he looks much taller than 6’8” to me. His wingspan must be over 7ft.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT