ADVERTISEMENT

Hawkeye FB - Big Mo

Of course, the old wildcat quarterback move or naturally we have 10 guys on the bench that are better than what are playing!
Cooper at QB over Petras every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Hell, I’d of loved to see him come in and fake the run then throw it. So many many missed opportunities with this coaching staff by not using players where needed in spots throughout out each game to throw the defense off instead of trotting the same vanilla crap every possession. Cooper at QB in the Illini game would have made the most sense. He was on fire that game then give him the ball at the five yard line. Let the guy eat like Zeke says with a spoon in hand.

Cooper at QB over Petras every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Hell, I’d of loved to see him come in and fake the run then throw it. So many many missed opportunities with this coaching staff by not using players where needed in spots throughout out each game to throw the defense off instead of trotting the same vanilla crap every possession. Cooper at QB in the Illini game would have made the most sense. He was on fire that game then give him the ball at the five yard line. Let the guy eat like Zeke says with a spoon in hand.

Glad you aren’t the coach!

The Iowa defense and ST are a known quantity.
They are always solid, and last year they were great. Last year they literally won us 2-3 games. I think many of you are under appreciating what JC meant to the team and what it would take to replace him.

I stand by my comment. It will take winning the turnover battles and a few breaks to get to 10 or more wins. A great OL won’t be enough.

• Haha
Reactions: PoleSmokinHerkyFan
They are always solid, and last year they were great. Last year they literally won us 2-3 games. I think many of you are under appreciating what JC meant to the team and what it would take to replace him.

I stand by my comment. It will take winning the turnover battles and a few breaks to get to 10 or more wins. A great OL won’t be enough.
JC was a great player, and so was Moss, as was Van Ness. But here's the thing. Van Ness was a first round pick who didn't crack the starting lineup behind guys that are back this year. This might be the best starting secondary that Phil has ever had. Campbell is a huge loss but he was replaced by a 3 time All ACC player in Jackson who was rated a 4 star 90 as a portal transfer. Wouldn't be a surprise at all to see him be an ALL B1G performer. Phil doesn't rebuild. He reloads. This will be a top 10 defense again and create plenty of turnovers, just as they have since Phil took the helm.

Espn has them at #6.

Correct, I had some yesterday. I can't put them down. Lol
Have to wipe my hands like 4 times because I'm done. Then the Cheetos Puffs perform sorcery on me and I grab more. 😆
We won't talk about the Cheetos teeth. That's a whole other chore that has to be performed. 🤣
If you eat Cheetos more than once a year chances are you’re not the healthiest of people 😂

Shame on Kirk for starting Petras after game 2 last year…should have seen the writing on the wall and made a bold move to Labas. Weak

Of course, the old wildcat quarterback move or naturally we have 10 guys on the bench that are better than what are playing!
To be honest with you, looking at CDs old film at Qb, I think he could be an all conference dual threat qb. I’m not suggesting he be moved to offense just giving an opinion. he will be a first round CB and would probably be a free agent at qb given his measurables so Iowa made the right move for him based on nfl future. but........

Well….in 1970 & 71 Nebraska played a combined 13 teams that had losing records on their way to NC,s

In 1994 they played 7 teams with losing or .500 records and 3 more at 6-5, 6-5 & 7-6 out of 13 total…yikes…

In 1997 they played 7 more teams with losing records…😜

We have your Hawkeye hating buddy… Hypocritical Hawkeye who smokes Herkys Pole and loves HawkeyeD, to thank for that…

I’m always amazed at rival fans who are so short sighted they show up talking shit without being aware of their own back history….

Hell you guys have lost 29 games in the last 20 years by three touchdowns or more, holy shit dude you shouldn’t be talking shit anywhere!!!
Georiga just played 6 teams with losing records + a FCS team. I'm sure they weren't good?...you clearly don't watch football and have a hard time knowing Nebraska won 5 natties while Iowa sucked.

Years ago, I worked for Frito Lay. Toured a couple of the production facilities. Amazing and highly profitable. Corn meal, wheat flour and potatoes in various forms... with flavoring powder.
Soda is probably even cheaper and profitable. GD Pepsi puts something in those Diet Pepsis to keep me addicted to them.

• Haha
Georiga just played 6 teams with losing records + a FCS team. I'm sure they weren't good?...you clearly don't watch football and have a hard time knowing Nebraska won 5 natties while Iowa sucked.

Well now that wasn’t the discussion was it….plus Georgia played 15 games and against a shit ton better teams than those old Nebbie teams…anything else?

• Haha

These Nebraska fans that come over here are relentless and obsessive!! My goodness…

Hell I rooted for Nebraska in the 90s! They can’t let it go and their cognitive reasoning is crap! Call out a teams schedule and then bitch when it gets turned around….

Dumb, dumb, dumb….

• Haha
I’m seeing a lot of publications/“experts” picking Wisconsin to win the West and Iowa second
Speaking of, just caught the mid-day “football talk” on NBCSports/Chicago and here are their odds on winning the B1G …

Ohio State +160
Michigan +165
Penn State +600
Wisconsin +750
Iowa +1200

Minnesota +3000
Nebraska +6000
Maryland +6000
MSU +10000
Purdue +10000
Illinois +25000

• Haha
Iowa @ Madison more than likely decides the West so not really. They have the best RB in the division and a good portal QB.
Not so sure about that. I would pick Kaleb Johnson over their running back , who definitely is a good player. Kaleb is a bigger threat to take any carry all the way. Go Hawks !

• Haha
Iowa @ Madison more than likely decides the West so not really. They have the best RB in the division and a good portal QB.
I would tend to agree. With that said, they are kind of a wild card given a completely new staff and systems this year. Fickell has had a lot of success in his career. It will be interesting to see what comes out of Madison this year. He's taking over an already solid program with a ton of support. I'm guessing that he's going to be more successful than the last coach that moved from the AAC to the B1G, but then who wouldn't?

What else do they have to do? It is Nebraska.
cow-pole.gif

It's mind blowing how Phil just reloads every year...there's almost no drop off.

How can the other side of the ball struggle so frequently while the D is a well-oiled machine.
Coaches design, develop and drive the car. Iowa has a lot of coaching talent on the defensive side of the ball in Bell and Wallace, and Phil through his success has reached a level of notoriety in the ranks that creates its own momentum. He could take a DC job anywhere and could have taken a P5 HC job somewhere had he wanted one. Phil's defenses have been kicking ass since he assumed the role. Norm's were good, but Phil's have been among the best nationally every year. Success breeds more success.

Unfortunately, the offensive staff has never had that level of talent or success. Outside of a season here or there, there has never been that momentum, at least positive, under Kirk on the offensive side of the ball. Neither KOK, Greg Davis, nor Brian would ever be considered for the kinds of opportunities that Phil could avail himself of. There may have been some positional coaching talent at times, but no OC's that have achieved any level of sustained success at Iowa or after Iowa. Maybe this is the year that starts turning that around.

• Haha
To be honest with you, looking at CDs old film at Qb, I think he could be an all conference dual threat qb. I’m not suggesting he be moved to offense just giving an opinion. he will be a first round CB and would probably be a free agent at qb given his measurables so Iowa made the right move for him based on nfl future. but........
Agree. I've been saying that since he was recruited.
But I guess the staff didn't notice that we needed a better QB.

• Haha
Cade stays healthy, I believe it's going to be a special season.

The OL doesn't need to improve immensely over last year to make a huge difference. A QB making quicker and better decisions behind them is going to be the biggest difference.
I keep coming back to KF is the supposed O line guru and his son’s job is on the line. Every player with meaningful snaps aside from Plumb is returning. They brought in two more competitive pieces at the very least. The O line will be vastly improved.

Cade will be good to very good and the running game has 3 very capable backs. There’s no reason they can’t be a top 60 or better offense.

Agree. I've been saying that since he was recruited.
But I guess the staff didn't notice that we needed a better QB.

So CDJ wanted to play QB, then ? Or in your scenario he should have sacrificed potential 1st round talent to be a QB?

Looking forward to this answer…..he appeared to be recruited by a battalion of folks at DB, but not at QB….

Hmmmm…..strange….dumb coaches. And do you know how I know they’re dumb… Because the Brilliant message board hero Roman Hawk says so!

• Haha
JC was a great player, and so was Moss, as was Van Ness. But here's the thing. Van Ness was a first round pick who didn't crack the starting lineup behind guys that are back this year. This might be the best starting secondary that Phil has ever had. Campbell is a huge loss but he was replaced by a 3 time All ACC player in Jackson who was rated a 4 star 90 as a portal transfer. Wouldn't be a surprise at all to see him be an ALL B1G performer. Phil doesn't rebuild. He reloads. This will be a top 10 defense again and create plenty of turnovers, just as they have since Phil took the helm.

Espn has them at #6.

JC was generational. His cover skills will keep him in the NFL for a long time. I think this group of Higgins, Jackson and Castro (he's going to be on the field alot at CASH) will play faster than last years LB crew.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT