ADVERTISEMENT

Hawkeye FB - Big Mo

hawkjt

HR Legend
Feb 14, 2004
By the numbers Iowa FB had a strong finish to last season.
If not for injury(Cooper DeJean, Petras) and untimely fumble(Bruce) vs Neb the Hawks would have a 6 game winning streak including a bowl win coming into this season.
Only one of the 5 wins was even close(Minn 13-10). The rest were 2 td wins.

So coming into 2023 Hawks are flying.
The schedule looks manageable outside of a top 5 PSU on the road.
The bye is well placed after Minny and Wis.
If they get to the bye in good shape that final stretch (NW,RU,ILL and Neb) should allow another good November for Hawks.
Every game is a battle in the league with our conservative style but we usually prevail.
Wis is again the key game as so many seasons in the past.
I am getting excited for this season which does seem to be an inflection point with the big changes for 2024.
I think KF will have fire in belly to get to Indy as western champs one more time.
Go Hawks!!

If not for injury(Cooper DeJean, Petras) and untimely fumble(Bruce) vs Neb the Hawks would have a 6 game winning streak including a bowl win coming into this season.

If they get to the bye in good shape that final stretch (NW,RU,ILL and Neb) should allow another good November for Hawks.
Every game is a battle in the league with our conservative style but we usually prevail.
I am getting excited for this season which does seem to be an inflection point with the big changes for 2024.
I think KF will have fire in belly to get to Indy as western champs one more time.
Go Hawks!!
If the running game provides for good play action we will have a good season.

Calm down. I didn't understand the comment.
calm the big lebowski GIF

I love Cheetos and expect a 10 + win season. Us cheeto eaters are unfairly classified! Puffs btw are the best cheetos
Correct, I had some yesterday. I can't put them down. Lol
Have to wipe my hands like 4 times because I'm done. Then the Cheetos Puffs perform sorcery on me and I grab more. 😆
We won't talk about the Cheetos teeth. That's a whole other chore that has to be performed. 🤣

This year does feel a lot more optimistic for me than last year did at this same time. I had a dreadful feeling this time last year with the QB situation and deep down knowing it was going to be painful with Petras. Turns out the offense had a lot more issues than just him but it felt inevitable with “more of the same” coming back at QB.

But I’m starting to try to think about last year differently. Rather than thinking we squandered a potential great season with a horrible offense, maybe did we avoid a bigtime “down year” by having a season saving defense? We were probably due for a down year - so maybe we did indeed avoid it and this could be the “bounce back” like 2015. An undefeated season isn’t likely, but I think there’s always a puncher’s chance for a special season when we have a strong base on defense and strong leader at QB.

This year does feel a lot more optimistic for me than last year did at this same time. I had a dreadful feeling this time last year with the QB situation and deep down knowing it was going to be painful with Petras. Turns out the offense had a lot more issues than just him but it felt inevitable with “more of the same” coming back at QB.

But I’m starting to try to think about last year differently. Rather than thinking we squandered a potential great season with a horrible offense, maybe did we avoid a bigtime “down year” by having a season saving defense? We were probably due for a down year - so maybe we did indeed avoid it and this could be the “bounce back” like 2015. An undefeated season isn’t likely, but I think there’s always a puncher’s chance for a special season when we have a strong base on defense and strong leader at QB.
Agreed, 8-5 is not a down season for about 90% of the country.

True, but 100% of the the country outside of Iowa doesn't have a coach who's been around 20+ years. Expectations vary.
Point is that’s the down year. I don’t think Iowa will ever be a program that won’t have a rebuilding year. outside about five blue bloods, every program is going to have a rebuilding year now and then. If 8-5 was the average I would agree.

Go Hawks!!

A lot of good points raised. The hawks have such good records and win streaks against their West div foes that the law of averages suggest they lose a couple of those games.

Like you said the hawks probably beat Nebby last year without some of those issues. Illini finally broke their losing streak against us but Iowa could have easily still won that game. Minny and Fleck are just Kirk's fodder right now. But Kirk and the hawks have also been turning around the losses against Purdue and jNW for some wins.

I think the defense and special teams will be very good to great again which is a steady way to get wins especially with just a jump to an avg offense.

So Iowa plays one hard season?? Wow, call off the dogs!!

Well….in 1970 & 71 Nebraska played a combined 13 teams that had losing records on their way to NC,s

In 1994 they played 7 teams with losing or .500 records and 3 more at 6-5, 6-5 & 7-6 out of 13 total…yikes…

In 1997 they played 7 more teams with losing records…😜

We have your Hawkeye hating buddy… Hypocritical Hawkeye who smokes Herkys Pole and loves HawkeyeD, to thank for that…

I’m always amazed at rival fans who are so short sighted they show up talking shit without being aware of their own back history….

Hell you guys have lost 29 games in the last 20 years by three touchdowns or more, holy shit dude you shouldn’t be talking shit anywhere!!!

Totally agree with this sentiment. As my good buddy, Michael pointed out to me. Yes, we failed in the portal and we dramatically overrated our all offensive line & quarterbacks ability to perform at an even average level….

With that said, it’s become pretty clear to me, they battened down the hatches, and played position offense and high-level defense & special teams!!

If it hadn’t been for some really dumb ass turnovers, we still would’ve won a couple more games!

You might even say Ferentz screwed the season up and then saved it. Lol.

Great O line will get you 8-9 wins, but you typically need to win the turnovers battle and catch a few breaks to get 10 or more.
A great oline would have likely resulted in 10 or 11 wins last year. A great oline would have likely resulted in wins vs ISU, Nebbie, and Illinois. I'm pretty confident that a great oline and a healthy Cade McNamara means 11 wins this year. The Iowa defense and ST are a known quantity. The QB, tight ends, and running backs are known quantities. WR room is improved. The oline, good or bad, will likely decide the final record.

A great oline would have likely resulted in 10 or 11 wins last year. A great oline would have likely resulted in wins vs ISU, Nebbie, and Illinois. I'm pretty confident that a great oline and a healthy Cade McNamara means 11 wins this year. The Iowa defense and ST are a known quantity. The QB, tight ends, and running backs are known quantities. WR room is improved. The oline, good or bad, will likely decide the final record.
The combo of Tory and our D all but guarantees that our O will enjoy frequent opportunities with favorable field-position.

Anything bordering on competency on O ... and you're looking at plenty of points. Certainly, as you indicate ... more than enough to have gotten victories over ISU, Nebbers, and the Illini.

Furthermore, much of the shellacking that we experienced at the hands of Ohio State was the result of the O putting the D in terrible positions. At the very least, with a competent O, the Hawks make BOTH the games against Michigan and OSU way more competitive.

Totally agree with this sentiment. As my good buddy, Michael pointed out to me. Yes, we failed in the portal and we dramatically overrated our all offensive line & quarterbacks ability to perform at an even average level….

With that said, it’s become pretty clear to me, they battened down the hatches, and played position offense and high-level defense & special teams!!

If it hadn’t been for some really dumb ass turnovers, we still would’ve won a couple more games!

You might even say Ferentz screwed the season up and then saved it. Lol.
He could have put Coop in at wild cat on O.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT