ADVERTISEMENT

Hawkeye FB - Big Mo

So CDJ wanted to play QB, then ? Or in your scenario he should have sacrificed potential 1st round talent to be a QB?

Looking forward to this answer…..he appeared to be recruited by a battalion of folks at DB, but not at QB….

Hmmmm…..strange….dumb coaches. And do you know how I know they’re dumb… Because the Brilliant message board hero Roman Hawk says so!
CDJ didn't push a position preference. He just wanted to play football at Iowa.

But at the most important position, the coaches went with the one of the worst QBs in college football instead of a guy who could have been at least all-conference. So we lost the chance for a couple of seasons of success at a level of national prominence. And the difference in those 2 paths was evident from the start.

The first priority in recruiting is making the team stronger, not worrying about draft round. "Battalions"? NCs are not won by following the crowd. They are won by making shrewd decisions on key factors. But this one didn't even require much shrewdness.

• Haha
Reactions: PoleSmokinHerkyFan
They are always solid, and last year they were great. Last year they literally won us 2-3 games. I think many of you are under appreciating what JC meant to the team and what it would take to replace him.

I stand by my comment. It will take winning the turnover battles and a few breaks to get to 10 or more wins. A great OL won’t be enough.
You know what ... losing Campbell will leave a mark. Certainly, we cannot play the same exact way we did last year ... because he's no longer on the roster.

However, that begs the question ... can Phil pivot and scheme things to the strengths of his given personnel? To that end ... I believe he can.

As good as the D was last year ... impressively, it could have been even better. Some may not have noticed ... but dual injuries to Jacobs and Roberts really put some strong constraints on what we could do ... or rather, we had to move away from some of the things that the coaches were hoping to do.

In facing that adversity, Seth and Phil did a great job of moving Seth over to the OLB spot ... that way Jay Higgins could continue to develop and play to his strengths at ILB.

Ideally, when going Cash, Phil initially wanted Coop at Cash. However, with all the injuries at CB ... our limited depth forced Phil's hand there, and Coop had to remain at CB for rest of the season.

Of course, when there is adversity ... that supplies opportunity for the development of depth ... if guys rise up to meet the challenge. I think that it's fair to say that guys like DeJean, Higgins, Castro, and many others rose up through the season ... and helped the defense to maintain such a high-level of performance.

When thinking about how the Hawks might pivot defensively, as they enter 2023 ... it's also useful to reflect upon what the unit returns, as much as what it loses.

If folks recall, the Iowa DL was really quite young/inexperienced back in '21. However, the '22 DL leveraged their experience gained from '21 and played at a significantly higher level. Given that Iowa rotates a lot of guys on the DL ... the implication is that a lot of guys have gotten experience over the past several years. It stands to reason that guys like Craig, Hurkett, Black, etc ... they all should be continuing to improve and play at a higher level. At this stage, Lee and Evans (and Shannon) are extremely veteran guys. Who isn't excited to see Graves continue to develop?

When Iowa transitioned at LB from '17 to '18 ... after having lost all their starting LBs ... we NOBODY who had much returning experience. The closest thing to an experienced guy was Hockaday ... who was a career backup. To Hockaday's credit ... his leadership and consistent play was a huge asset to the LB room. When you look to the '23 LBs ... sure they have big shoes to fill. However, the guys stepping up are a lot more experienced than the guys were in '18. Interestingly, Iowa's ability to lean on the Cash-based D also played a significant role in mitigating the effect of losing guys like Jewell and Niemann. It helps when you can schematically worry only about reloading at the 2 ILB spots ... rather than needing to worry about re-filling 3 primary spots.

Anyhow, I think that there is a lot of value in all the games that Jackson has played. Hopefully he doesn't have any troubles learning Iowa's D. Certainly, the importance of getting our DL lined up will still be of great significance. Also, Kirk spoke quite highly of Higgins last season ... remarking on how he would have been a starter (earlier) for other teams ... but that he's been a great team-guy and playing well within his role. I'm excited to see Jay continue to grow as a player.

Part of the genius of Phil Parker has been his ability to defend the run game with surprisingly few hats in the box. With the secondary then maintaining their zone eyes ... it opens up a lot more opportunity to get picks.

And this leads to the secondary. Even with the loss of Moss and Merriweather ... I think that most (sane) folks realize that the secondary should be quite a strength for the Iowa D in '23. There's a surprising amount of starting experience in the group ... with DeJean, Harris, Castro, and Schulte all being perceived as regular starters. The only "new" guy to the unit is Nwankpa ... and who isn't excited about him? Also, we seem to be developing some depth in the DB room ... so maybe Phil will be able to exploit a hand that is dealt from having a wealth of riches.

But at the most important position, the coaches went with the one of the worst QBs in college football instead of a guy who could have been at least all-conference. So we lost the chance for a couple of seasons of success at a level of national prominence. And the difference in those 2 paths was evident from the start.

The first priority in recruiting is making the team stronger, not worrying about draft round. "Battalions"? NCs are not won by following the crowd. They are won by making shrewd decisions on key factors. But this one didn't even require much shrewdness.

So he did want to play QB, I didn’t know that, how did you?

• Haha

How about shrewd decisions made by DeJean?

Suppose you have NFL aspirations and you're recruited as an ATH by Iowa. While play-makers DO love having the ball in their hands ... they love it a lot more if they can play the game they love AND make a living out of it (a lucrative one, at that!).

So if the choice is before you ... AND you know that Phil Parker is lobbying HARD to have you be a part of his DB room. Do you NOT jump at that opportunity ... especially if you have DeJean's measurables?

At this early juncture ... it's already clear that DeJean will be a future NFLer ... likely a good one too! Furthermore, DeJean's presence in a depleted Iowa secondary helped to keep Iowa's defense in "beast-mode."

It strikes me that the turn of events has been a complete win-win ... both for the Hawkeye program AND for Coop.

You know what ... losing Campbell will leave a mark. Certainly, we cannot play the same exact way we did last year ... because he's no longer on the roster.

However, that begs the question ... can Phil pivot and scheme things to the strengths of his given personnel? To that end ... I believe he can.

As good as the D was last year ... impressively, it could have been even better. Some may not have noticed ... but dual injuries to Jacobs and Roberts really put some strong constraints on what we could do ... or rather, we had to move away from some of the things that the coaches were hoping to do.

In facing that adversity, Seth and Phil did a great job of moving Seth over to the OLB spot ... that way Jay Higgins could continue to develop and play to his strengths at ILB.

Ideally, when going Cash, Phil initially wanted Coop at Cash. However, with all the injuries at CB ... our limited depth forced Phil's hand there, and Coop had to remain at CB for rest of the season.

Of course, when there is adversity ... that supplies opportunity for the development of depth ... if guys rise up to meet the challenge. I think that it's fair to say that guys like DeJean, Higgins, Castro, and many others rose up through the season ... and helped the defense to maintain such a high-level of performance.

When thinking about how the Hawks might pivot defensively, as they enter 2023 ... it's also useful to reflect upon what the unit returns, as much as what it loses.

If folks recall, the Iowa DL was really quite young/inexperienced back in '21. However, the '22 DL leveraged their experience gained from '21 and played at a significantly higher level. Given that Iowa rotates a lot of guys on the DL ... the implication is that a lot of guys have gotten experience over the past several years. It stands to reason that guys like Craig, Hurkett, Black, etc ... they all should be continuing to improve and play at a higher level. At this stage, Lee and Evans (and Shannon) are extremely veteran guys. Who isn't excited to see Graves continue to develop?

When Iowa transitioned at LB from '17 to '18 ... after having lost all their starting LBs ... we NOBODY who had much returning experience. The closest thing to an experienced guy was Hockaday ... who was a career backup. To Hockaday's credit ... his leadership and consistent play was a huge asset to the LB room. When you look to the '23 LBs ... sure they have big shoes to fill. However, the guys stepping up are a lot more experienced than the guys were in '18. Interestingly, Iowa's ability to lean on the Cash-based D also played a significant role in mitigating the effect of losing guys like Jewell and Niemann. It helps when you can schematically worry only about reloading at the 2 ILB spots ... rather than needing to worry about re-filling 3 primary spots.

Anyhow, I think that there is a lot of value in all the games that Jackson has played. Hopefully he doesn't have any troubles learning Iowa's D. Certainly, the importance of getting our DL lined up will still be of great significance. Also, Kirk spoke quite highly of Higgins last season ... remarking on how he would have been a starter (earlier) for other teams ... but that he's been a great team-guy and playing well within his role. I'm excited to see Jay continue to grow as a player.

Part of the genius of Phil Parker has been his ability to defend the run game with surprisingly few hats in the box. With the secondary then maintaining their zone eyes ... it opens up a lot more opportunity to get picks.

And this leads to the secondary. Even with the loss of Moss and Merriweather ... I think that most (sane) folks realize that the secondary should be quite a strength for the Iowa D in '23. There's a surprising amount of starting experience in the group ... with DeJean, Harris, Castro, and Schulte all being perceived as regular starters. The only "new" guy to the unit is Nwankpa ... and who isn't excited about him? Also, we seem to be developing some depth in the DB room ... so maybe Phil will be able to exploit a hand that is dealt from having a wealth of riches.
I fully expect the defense to take a step back this season (loss of Campbell being huge, as you mentioned). However, it should only be a relatively small step (barring injuries, of course). I also expect a significant uptick on offense that should more than make up for it.

I am as excited for this season as I have been for many years. I have a feeling this is going to be a great one.

• Wow
Speaking of, just caught the mid-day “football talk” on NBCSports/Chicago and here are their odds on winning the B1G …

Ohio State +160
Michigan +165
Penn State +600
Wisconsin +750
Iowa +1200

Minnesota +3000
Nebraska +6000
Maryland +6000
MSU +10000
Purdue +10000
Illinois +25000
Huh.. You'd think with virtually the entire state of Nebraska betting on Lil Red winning the national championship with their new coach that they'd have lower odds.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT