ADVERTISEMENT

Big Media days here but no tiebreak rules?

hawkjt

HB Legend
Feb 14, 2004
As far as I can tell the BIG has yet to release the tiebreak rules for making the BIG title game yet.wtf?
I could see a scenario that has OSU go clean inflicting losses to iowa, Oregon, PSU and Mich.
Oregon plays Mich also but the other 2 do not so you could have 3 way tie with Oregon PSU and Iowa..all with losses to OSU.

I presume the nod will go to highest ranking team in the playoff rankings, right?

Why the delay in announcing?

Seems logical. I bet we move to a scenario at some point where they pay 1 less non-conference game and it becomes a semi-final, final for the BIG. Especially if they add 2 more teams.

Seems logical. I bet we move to a scenario at some point where they pay 1 less non-conference game and it becomes a semi-final, final for the BIG. Especially if they add 2 more teams.
If we move to one less conference football game then we can kiss the annual clown/hawk series goodbye. It wouldn't bother me since it nearly eliminates the clown's chances of playing against a P2 school in football.

If we move to one less conference football game then we can kiss the annual clown/hawk series goodbye. It wouldn't bother me since it nearly eliminates the clown's chances of playing against a P2 school in football.
Na, never going to happen. I honestly see the big12 making a recovery just based on NIL alone. KSU is pulling recruits they haven't pulled in a while (maybe ever). SMU is an NIL dream with Dallas money, Houston is probably the same, The other Texas schools, Utah, and West Virginia will be there based on the same scenario.

Agreed.

I'm a big proponent of adding 2 more teams and then splitting up into four 5-team divisions. I'm hoping if the ACC implodes, we can bring in Florida State and Notre Dame. The divisions could look as follows:

West
Washington
Oregon
USC
UCLA
Nebraska

Midwest
Notre Dame
Iowa
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Illinois

Plains
Ohio State
Michigan
Michigan State
Purdue
Northwestern

East
Penn State
Florida State
Maryland
Rutgers
Indiana

The schedule would have 2 non-cons (against relatively easy teams as sort of exhibition/tune-ups before the conference slate...so no more ISU), 9 conference games (4 against the teams in your division and 5 against all the teams in one other division, with those non-division games rotating every 3 years), then a semi-final with the 4 division winners (seeded based on playoff ranking), then a final. The 16 teams that didn't make the conference playoff would also be seeded and play one final game as well.....sort of a lead up to the conference playoffs. The amount of money this would generate would be tremendous and there's enough rotation among conference teams to keep things fairly fresh.

Na, never going to happen. I honestly see the big12 making a recovery just based on NIL alone. KSU is pulling recruits they haven't pulled in a while (maybe ever). SMU is an NIL dream with Dallas money, Houston is probably the same, The other Texas schools, Utah, and West Virginia will be there based on the same scenario.
NIL money will have nothing to do with the Clowns playing against Iowa if we have an additional conference game. If you think the Big 12 will be as prestigious as the BIG 10 and SEC you are crazy. NIL isn't going to do anything to improve the Big12 status in comparison with the 2 Major conferences.

Agreed.

I'm a big proponent of adding 2 more teams and then splitting up into four 5-team divisions. I'm hoping if the ACC implodes, we can bring in Florida State and Notre Dame. The divisions could look as follows:

West
Washington
Oregon
USC
UCLA
Nebraska

Midwest
Notre Dame
Iowa
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Illinois

Plains
Ohio State
Michigan
Michigan State
Purdue
Northwestern

East
Penn State
Florida State
Maryland
Rutgers
Indiana

The schedule would have 2 non-cons (against relatively easy teams as sort of exhibition/tune-ups before the conference slate...so no more ISU), 9 conference games (4 against the teams in your division and 5 against all the teams in one other division, with those non-division games rotating every 3 years), then a semi-final with the 4 division winners (seeded based on playoff ranking), then a final. The 16 teams that didn't make the conference playoff would also be seeded and play one final game as well.....sort of a lead up to the conference playoffs. The amount of money this would generate would be tremendous and there's enough rotation among conference teams to keep things fairly fresh.
The only reason I don't see it happening, would be the loss of a home game for ticket sales. I do like this idea, not sold on FSU though, if the BIG dips into the ACC, Miami (academics) or North Carolina.

THE big12 schools aren't pulling in anymore money than the P2 programs on average. A kid being offered 1 million at a big 12 school vs 1 million at a power 2 school will be the difference. Why play in a a G5 league when you can play with the big boys.
Playing time would be #1. Hell, Colorado has the #6 NIL according to On3. If the ACC implodes there are going to be some more than solid scraps left to pick up. I would also say the "Big Boys" is going to be limited to Mich, OSU, Oregon(for now), and possibly USC.

The only reason I don't see it happening, would be the loss of a home game for ticket sales. I do like this idea, not sold on FSU though, if the BIG dips into the ACC, Miami (academics) or North Carolina.
why would there be a loss in a home game for ticket sales? Weeks 1 and 2 could be against FCS or G5 schools at home

Playing time would be #1. Hell, Colorado has the #6 NIL according to On3. If the ACC implodes there are going to be some more than solid scraps left to pick up. I would also say the "Big Boys" is going to be limited to Mich, OSU, Oregon(for now), and possibly USC.
Let me rephrase. Big boy confence.

You're right.....I forgot FSU isn't an AAU member, but Miami is. I do think we need a Florida school in the mix in order to continue to compete with the SEC for southern recruits. North Carolina doesn't really move the needle in that respect.

You're right.....I forgot FSU isn't an AAU member, but Miami is. I do think we need a Florida school in the mix in order to continue to compete with the SEC for southern recruits. North Carolina doesn't really move the needle in that respect.
if, and that's a huge if, the basketball tournament changes the finical distribution mechanism, UNC becomes insanely valuable. While having good academics, and a decent football program.

Huh?

Playing time would be #1. Hell, Colorado has the #6 NIL according to On3. If the ACC implodes there are going to be some more than solid scraps left to pick up. I would also say the "Big Boys" is going to be limited to Mich, OSU, Oregon(for now), and possibly U

11 total games, every year you switch between 6 and 7 home games.
11 total games, every year you switch between 6 and 7 home games.
Unless we keep our agreement with the Clowns, then it is a net loss of 1 home game per 2-year cycle. That is unacceptable. If the BIG tells us we are going to a 9 game schedule would would almost certainly drop the clowns, unless they agree to Iowa City every year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT