ADVERTISEMENT

Bill Walton passes away

Younger fans only know the over-the-top analyst that Bill Walton was, without realizing he was one of the best college BB players ever (very short list), and that inarguable. He had injury problems most of his pro career, which robbed him from being as great as he could have been. He didn't shoot the three, which didn't exist most of his career, but he could do everything else exceptionally well. His loss makes me feel old!

Younger fans only know the over-the-top analyst that Bill Walton was, without realizing he was one of the best college BB players ever (very short list), and that inarguable. He had injury problems most of his pro career, which robbed him from being as great as he could have been. He didn't shoot the three, which didn't exist most of his career, but he could do everything else exceptionally well. His loss makes me feel old!
Without the injuries he was on his way to being a top 5 player of all time. Look at the roster of the Portland team vs the Sixers team they beat in the finals. And they were on their way to winning 70 games the next year when he broke his foot again. Such a skilled big man.

Walton was far more than a basketball player, although he was one of the all-time greats of the sport. He should especially be remembered as a human being who was never afraid to be himself or to stand up for what he believed. He participated in many peaceful protests, and was arrested more than once. He said that evil won't change by itself. People must DO something to change things. And he didn't just talk about, he did it his entire life. We need all the Bill Waltons we can get--not as much on the basketball court as in life. He's gone way too soon.

BTW: Walton stuttered from a young age, and he had to work like hell to overcome it. Think about that when you recall the career he had as a paid public speaker and TV announcer. I admire the man who lived life on his own terms and who had to overcome all kinds of challenges to achieve success.

Sad day for all of us that watched in awe the night against Memphis St. where he missed only 1 field goal attempt while scoring 44 in the Championship game. In my mind one of the greatest games I've ever seen played.

What he could have done with healthy feet in the NBA we can only imagine. RIP #32

Last edited:
It sucks. I was a fan. He was an interesting and admirable man. Sad stuff honestly.

RIP

Kind of like John Madden in that he had a whole hall of fame career but then became better known to a whole generation for his announcing.
Only to the people who didn’t get to see him play in his prime. He was a phenomenal basketball player. Loved that he got the chance to end his career with the Celtics.

Great, great player. Lucky to have seen him and the championship Portland team play in KC. They were up by 35 points at halftime and crowd was chanting "call the game."

Wonderful person and so entertaining as a color-guy. I just loved his schtick.

Watched the NCAA championship game in 1973 when Walton scored 44 for UCLA against Memphis State. Dunking was not allowed in the college game at that time. One of the all-time great individual performances I have seen in 56 years of watching college basketball.

RIP

Bummer. Kind of ironic that he passed away the same year as his beloved "conference of champions that he covered for so many years after his playing days.

Reactions: amahawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT