ADVERTISEMENT

Bluder not happy w/ what she's getting from Addison O'Grady, Sharon Goodman & A.J. Ediger

She's not wrong, it's glaringly obvious. Everyone knows the book on Iowa, be physical and and pound them inside. It's a shame we couldn't get the money to bring Betts in.
Football will get it first. Doubt much is left after that if anything. Rick Heller has said baseball is left out in the cold mostly and there were his guys out east playing in the summer leagues that were offered by other schools but they turned the money down.

She's not wrong, it's glaringly obvious. Everyone knows the book on Iowa, be physical and and pound them inside. It's a shame we couldn't get the money to bring Betts in.
Betts was never coming to Iowa, she was famously seen fighting with Iowa fans in defense of Angel Reese. She transfered from San Fran to LA. Furthermore I’ve heard absolutely nothing about UCLA having impressive NIL opportunities for WBB tbh. Iowa never had a shot. It was not a fit.
Agree with pretty much all of this. AOG looked last year like—if given consistent minutes—she could seize the 5 spot. Yeah she needed to polish the rough edges but hasn’t gotten anywhere near enough of a chance to do it with the minutes she gets. Europe would’ve been a good time to basically put her on the floor and leave her there to get better.
Ogrady started 2 of the 3 games as well as the crossover. She had a great stat line in one but that didn’t mean much considering the competition.
Football will get it first. Doubt much is left after that if anything. Rick Heller has said baseball is left out in the cold mostly and there were his guys out east playing in the summer leagues that were offered by other schools but they turned the money down.
All Iowa wbb players were able to earn up to $15k thru the Swarm last year. The only school I’ve heard of who provides this opportunity to their WBB players is South Carolina (it’s much more there actually). It’s pretty good overall tbh. I don’t think any other B1G schools, for example, offer anything. LSU, UConn offer one or two players big packages, but Bluder has instructed the Swarm to distribute funds equally to all kids. Clark opted out for obvious reasons.

Not quite sure what you are watching. Besides a 3 game streak this year, she has been a negative on the floor this year. She has had 4 games where she was scoreless, that is unacceptable for any starter... let alone a 5th year one. I think her and Affalter should switch roles.

Well, apparently I’m watching the same one. Lisa Bluder is so I’m in good company.

As I said, I can’t imagine they’re having a lot of meetings talking about. Hey, we need to get Tanner McCabe in the game so she could shoot the Baltimore….. we want to take as many shots away from Clark, Davis, Affolter, Martin & Stuelke as we can….

Oh and while we’re at it, she is a little more careless with the ball so she can throw it away a bit more….

But then again that’s why some people coach and some people post on a message board…🤷‍♂️

Incidentally, as has been stated, Affolter is playing more and more & Marshalls Minutes have been cut…

And sometimes it has worked and sometimes it doesn’t…that’s basketball. Both teams are trying to win!

Totally agree. Can't argue Gabby's defensive ability but she is not bringing any threat of offense this season. Most shooters who are struggling like to get fouled so they can go to the line and calmly work on their shot. I did a doubletake when I saw that Gabby has only shot a grand total of 3 freethrows in 28 games. If I were a coach that would be as big of a red flag as my concern with my post forwards.
Free throws attempted directly correlates to the player's ability to take the ball to the hoop. 3 attempts 28 games into the season shows Gabby is a completely one-dimensional offensive player; I can't believe our coaching staff doesn't work on this with every single player. If there's at least some threat you may take it inside two things happen, both good: 1) defense won't play you quite as tight on the 3-point line, and 2) you'll shoot more FT's.

Gabby's extensive game experience counts for something, but currently that's all she has going for her.

Well besides Bluder talking about this subject I hope she talks to the team about the lead and the time on the clock. The hawks were up 18 points with just over 4 minutes to go when Marshall got a defensive rebound and threw it length of the court and it was intercepted. Luckily while Iowa was making turnovers for a minute or so Illinois made a couple turnovers and rimmed out a couple of treys.

But the hawks could have and should have been milking clock with that 18 point lead. From that turnover at the 4+ minute mark to about 2:20 to play Iowa was stuck on 95 points, forcing passes, and making turnovers early in the shot clock. Bluder needs to coach better hear and settle them down.

Luckily Illinois only gained 2 pts in this over 90 second span. The game could have gotten close whereas if iowa milks about 30 seconds each possession and works it around for a foul or a good shot they probably win by 20.
That's not their style of play.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
You need offensive prowess other than CC otherwise you get the game at Bloomington.

An off game….how bout today, how was CCs offensive prowess.

You do know after Indiana got shellacked by us by 27. Their coaches didn’t go home and say holy shit we need a better point guard, holy shit we need more shooters… They said we played like absolute horseshit. We need to play better….

I’m always shocked that isn’t the first go to for everybody,…but no it’s we’re playing the wrong players and, that damn Lisa Bluder didn’t go out and get a center… I mean holy shit…

I want you to paint a picture for me how we should be putting more on the shoulders of our sophomore guard when we already have Molly Davis, Caitlyn Clark, Kate, Martin, Sydney, Affolter, and then Feurbach…All 2-3 inches taller than McCabe except Davis…

I’ll hang up and listen…

I call BS on SWARM statement. It was pretty well known that the only big they contacted was Betts and she wasn't going anywhere but UCLA.

Agree this is Bluder's doing, but she should have seen this 2 years ago, or the year after MC's JR season. The Iowa big's are a combination of weak and not confident.

Well, that’s why we have played so poorly vs all the elite bigs we’ve played….oh wait. I guess that’s not true.

It could just be that it’s a basketball game and sometimes you play good and sometimes you don’t…

The team that plays the best at the end wins and if you go 15 and 10 at the end of the season, you need to reevaluate some things if you go, 21 and four you tweak…

Last edited:
Excellent post. I also believe that AOG really hasn't been given enough rope, and its effected her mentally...

I can buy this… i’m not really sure why we went away from her for Goodman although to be fair Goodman had a few decent stretches early on but she’s just not quick enough to play, significant interior defensive minutes and she does not catch the ball well.

And yet ONCE again WHO was she supposed to bring in. Other then Betts who had ZERO interest in coming to Iowa (for reasons we've already discussed 100 times on here), what post player in the portal was she supposed to sign?
There were more than just 2-3 posts in the portal who would have been a decent upgrade from our current stiffs.

And there’s also the back channels to reach out to players not even in the portal yet letting them know your team is interested (which just made the title game & returned the best player/passer in the game). If you want details on how that works, I bet CJ Fred’s uncle could point you in the right direction.

There were more than just 2-3 posts in the portal who would have been a decent upgrade from our current stiffs.

And there’s also the back channels to reach out to players not even in the portal yet letting them know your team is interested (which just made the title game & returned the best player/passer in the game). If you want details on how that works, I bet CJ Fred’s uncle could point you in the right direction.
Yeah because Bluder and Calapari are so similar lol

"stiffs" ? They're Iowa players. Critique their play but please don't call them names.

Just so we can all get a good education….

Who were those players….

Are we positive just adding a good center would make us better…

Do you think putting Monica back on this team would automatically make us better? I have some metrics to share but I’ll wait until you answer first.

How have we beaten the teams we have already played that had dominating post players?

Do you think putting Monica back on this team would automatically make us better?
Absolutely.

Keep posting your facts. I know I'm not the only one here who hasn't taken you seriously the past couple years. You thought the football offense had no issues.

• Love
Reactions: HIWILLE
Absolutely.

Keep posting your facts. I know I'm not the only one here who hasn't taken you seriously the past couple years. You thought the football offense had no issues.

Do you honestly think that would be upsetting to someone like me. Do you think I take you seriously…doh?

Why was our rebounding & defense so poor last year with Monica?

Why do we average more points without her?

By the way, I’m gonna make you a deal if you can find one single post where I ever said the offense didn’t have any issues. I will never post here again….

And when you can’t find it, you will come back and say I’m sorry I guess you never said that…

Then we’ll have a pretty good gauge of whose full of shit who isn’t…

I don’t expect you to respond. Talk about not taking some serious. And you did it all on your own…😂

Do you honestly think that would be upsetting to someone like me. Do you think I take you seriously…doh?

Why was our rebounding & defense so poor last year with Monica?

Why do we average more points without her?

By the way, I’m gonna make you a deal if you can find one single post where I ever said the offense didn’t have any issues. I will never post here again….

And when you can’t find it, you will come back and say I’m sorry I guess you never said that…

Then we’ll have a pretty good gauge of whose full of shit who isn’t…

I don’t expect you to respond. Talk about not taking some serious. And you did it all on your own…😂
You have been responding to me and everyone else this whole time.

Are you mentally slow?

You have been responding to me and everyone else this whole time.

Are you mentally slow?

Must be because I actually have no clue what the hell that means! “Been responding too” seems obvious really and you responded to me…

And I did do that, it’s Chad, by the way and they band any sign offs like that or I would still do it.

If you were to make people sign off with their real name on every post they made, you’d have less idiots and all we really needed to know was if your were capable of backing up your claim…

And now we know (well we already knew actually) you can’t?

Anything else Ron?

Chad

• Haha
Reactions: Roncuba55
Yeah because Bluder and Calapari are so similar lol
So you honestly think it’s just a few slimy coaching staffs that let players on other rosters know they’re interested? I’m not talking about direct contact…but via a former club teammate on your roster, their old club coach, etc?

It also works the other way too, where a player rep first contacts a specific team to gauge interest….which is what I would guess happened with CJ & his dirty uncle.

Idk, I actually think Hannah will match up better against bigs in the mold of Reese than Monica did.

Reese bothered us with her quickness last year.

If she can stay out of foul trouble, she will. @Roncuba55 couldn't find his ass with both hands…

He already backed himself in a corner with a stupid comment he can’t reproduce and is left with emoji responses….doh!!

If she can stay out of foul trouble, she will. @Roncuba55 couldn't find his ass with both hands…

He already backed himself in a corner with a stupid comment he can’t reproduce and is left with emoji responses….doh!!
Lol you are a weirdo. I think last year's team is better than this year's. Chad, I'm done here... go take your medicine.

An off game….how bout today, how was CCs offensive prowess.

You do know after Indiana got shellacked by us by 27. Their coaches didn’t go home and say holy shit we need a better point guard, holy shit we need more shooters… They said we played like absolute horseshit. We need to play better….

I’m always shocked that isn’t the first go to for everybody,…but no it’s we’re playing the wrong players and, that damn Lisa Bluder didn’t go out and get a center… I mean holy shit…

I want you to paint a picture for me how we should be putting more on the shoulders of our sophomore guard when we already have Molly Davis, Caitlyn Clark, Kate, Martin, Sydney, Affolter, and then Feurbach…All 2-3 inches taller than McCabe except Davis…

I’ll hang up and listen…
But if we have all those people you mentioned, why is Gabby still starting and getting 25 min/game, when she supplies no offense? And doesn’t draw fouls? McCabe makes 45% of her 3s—and you don’t see a significant role for her? Instead, you’d rather have a 30% Marshall putting up those shots?

I dunno. I’d rather have Gabby and McCabe play situationally and have Sydney start

That's not their style of play.
All kinds of teams know how to use clock. Look at Dr. Tom's teams at Iowa. His first teams with BJ, horton, Marble, etc would fast break all the time yet late in games with a lead they would go into a motion offense looking to milk clock until they got a very high percentage layup type of shot or they would take a decent jumper as the clock shot expired.

It is hard for me to believe Bluder hasnt practiced this with her teams. they are good dribblers and passers and know how to spread the floor so they should be very good at running clock.

With 3 minutes to go you can use up half that time with 3 possessions.

Last edited:
L

But, but, but ….its 1 day…. Holy anecdotal evidence, Batman.

In 28.4 minutes a game Marshall throws it away .6 times a game, has 1 steal and 1,5 assists….

In 9 minutes McCabe has .7 assists, .2 steals and .4 TOs…..

But, but, but….her dur….. per usual we’re making decisions based on our endgame snapshot… Listen, I like McCabe, but quite frankly, I promise you she’d throw the ball away more and take a lot more shots that I’m not sure the team is looking for from anyone other than their core 5… Martin Stuelke, Clark Affiltee & Davis ..

Honestly, I don’t know why it’s so hard for some of you to see what the coaches are likely seeing…

Besides she is playing less minutes…..WTF, you want her playing what 10 minutes a game…

I don’t get it….

But but but, you are also comparing a player who gets into the flow with 30 minutes a game with one who gets a couple minutes per game. You can respond to others without all of the holy batman garbage also.

She tried.

And the SWARM CEO tried to land a big, too.

Anyone can correct me if I am wrong but I think we have 14 officially on scholarship and 1 scholarship that did not get filled.

Reactions: Hawksbyamillion
She didn’t single anyone out. She said the whole group needs to be better. What’s wrong with that?

Lisa: "Be consistently good or consistently bad, but be something. Now, it’s like we’re almost gambling on who to put in between the 3 of them."

She's basically saying all 3 options are bad options. I think there's a better way to answer the question.

Gabbie comes up big in the big games.
KSU loss 1-3 from three
OSU loss 0-2 from three
Neb loss 0-5 from three
Ind Loss 1-2 from three

If McCabe's D doesn't measure up to Gabbie's maybe it wouldn't hurt too much to give a little to get a little or a little more.

Gabbie comes up big in the big games.
KSU loss 1-3 from three
OSU loss 0-2 from three
Neb loss 0-5 from three
Ind Loss 1-2 from three

If McCabe's D doesn't measure up to Gabbie's maybe it wouldn't hurt too much to give a little to get a little or a little more.
This team isn't going to make a deep run because they are going to lock teams down; they would make a deep run by outscoring people, plain and simple. Get offense on the floor. In #2's minutes the defense hugs on to her which allows Clark room to work. The defense doesn't do that with 24. And she won't take the big shots either.

Reactions: hawkod
But if we have all those people you mentioned, why is Gabby still starting and getting 25 min/game, when she supplies no offense? And doesn’t draw fouls? McCabe makes 45% of her 3s—and you don’t see a significant role for her? Instead, you’d rather have a 30% Marshall putting up those shots?

I dunno. I’d rather have Gabby and McCabe play situationally and have Sydney start

I guess I’d like the person that has been with these girls for 1 year, 3 years, 5 years to play who she thinks should play….

Seems pretty simple to me…🤷‍♂️

Totally agree. Can't argue Gabby's defensive ability but she is not bringing any threat of offense this season. Most shooters who are struggling like to get fouled so they can go to the line and calmly work on their shot. I did a doubletake when I saw that Gabby has only shot a grand total of 3 freethrows in 28 games. If I were a coach that would be as big of a red flag as my concern with my post forwards.
I don't think anyone is playing all that great defensively lately. We were in zone a good bit of the game yesterday and were still letting their Gs penetrate and get to the lane without much trouble. That can't happen. I don't see defense as being the key reason for keeping any of the current starters on the floor.

This team isn't going to make a deep run because they are going to lock teams down; they would make a deep run by outscoring people, plain and simple. Get offense on the floor. In #2's minutes the defense hugs on to her which allows Clark room to work. The defense doesn't do that with 24. And she won't take the big shots either.

So your saying they will over commit to a Young semi-unproven Sophomore and let the best player in women’s basketball free?

I would encourage you to go back and watch the games, the thing that frustrates me about Gabby is she won’t pull the trigger when someone’s flying at her, she isn’t “open” per se, she doesn’t pass up a wide open shots, where she has 8 feet between her and the shooter…that WOULD put her on the bench.

I’m gonna tell you something if I’m the coach of the opposing team I’m not saying hey don’t worry about Gabby Marshall. She’s just a fifth year senior who’s taken a lot of big three-point shots, we don’t need to pay attention to her…..

These are exactly the kind of thoughts and nuances. I honestly don’t think our fans grasp….

They ARE guarding her, she won’t take a shot unless she’s wide open. But we ARE getting the benefit of her cumulative career…

She’s also a better ball handler and doesn’t throw the ball away. In 8 minutes McCabe throws it away about as much as Gabby in 28.

A good coach doesn’t measure 3 pt percentage and make lineup changes.

I’m gonna tell you if making lineup changes and setting a rotation was so simple Us message board fans could watch a couple games and look at the box scores and measure shooting percentages and what not. Man I’m gonna tell you these coaches are making way too damn much money…

I don't think anyone is playing all that great defensively lately. We were in zone a good bit of the game yesterday and were still letting their Gs penetrate and get to the lane without much trouble. That can't happen. I don't see defense as being the key reason for keeping any of the current starters on the floor.

Agreed, no sense paying attention to defense at all…🤔 seriously why would we mix and match good defenders with less so….

So your saying they will over commit to a Young semi-unproven Sophomore and let the best player in women’s basketball free?

I would encourage you to go back and watch the games, the thing that frustrates me about Gabby is she won’t pull the trigger when someone’s flying at her, she isn’t “open” per se, she doesn’t pass up a wide open shots, where she has 8 feet between her and the shooter…that WOULD put her on the bench.

I’m gonna tell you something if I’m the coach of the opposing team I’m not saying hey don’t worry about Gabby Marshall. She’s just a fifth year senior who’s taken a lot of big three-point shots, we don’t need to pay attention to her…..

These are exactly the kind of thoughts and nuances. I honestly don’t think our fans grasp….

They ARE guarding her, she won’t take a shot unless she’s wide open. But we ARE getting the benefit of her cumulative career…

She’s also a better ball handler and doesn’t throw the ball away. In 8 minutes McCabe throws it away about as much as Gabby in 28.

A good coach doesn’t measure 3 pt percentage and make lineup changes.

I’m gonna tell you if making lineup changes and setting a rotation was so simple Us message board fans could watch a couple games and look at the box scores and measure shooting percentages and what not. Man I’m gonna tell you these coaches are making way too damn much money…
I get you are an apologist, every message with you is the same. you bring up TO - McCabe in Big 10 play is 12:1 assist to turnover ratio. she has 1 TO in Big 10 play. Marshall's isn't bad either, but they just don't throw her the ball anymore. What else you got.

Reactions: DBQ Hawk and BGHAWK
If everyone is going to be playing equally mediocre defense, we may as well get players out there who bring more of an upside offensively.

But are they? Here is what I hear from the fans.

McCabe is a shooter and she shoots way better than Gabby and therefore she automatically should play…

No consideration of game management, no consideration of chemistry, no consideration of starting the game out in a rotation, all the girls are comfortable in, no consideration of the fact that Gabby is still being guarded. She just is not taking some shots she probably could take.

There is no consideration about hiw McCabes ballhandling skills are or whether or not, she may or may not throw it away more. Incidentally a quick review of the stats look indeed, like that would be the case .

No consideration of shot selection, and where more shots for McCabe comes from… Does it take shots away from Davis, Stuelke, Martin, Clark….

Here’s where the rubber hits the highway and probably deserves its own thread. It literally just occurred to me, if you can make rotational decisions for the basketball team by watching a 40 minute game and then looking at the box score then I have to tell you…these coaches make way too much effing money…

There are Probaly 25 plus things they are talking into consideration. And adjusting as they go…

But sure, Lisa, your clearly playing the wrong guard, because you know, the fans think so…

Oh, and by the way, Lisa, if you start playing McCabe more and she has a lot of turnovers or takes shots away from the other players or just generally, the team starts losing. We will also hold you responsible for that….

Sounds reasonable…🤷‍♂️

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT