ADVERTISEMENT

Bluder not happy w/ what she's getting from Addison O'Grady, Sharon Goodman & A.J. Ediger

Idk, I actually think Hannah will match up better against bigs in the mold of Reese than Monica did.

Reese bothered us with her quickness last year.
Teams that are “athletic” and or physical have always given this team fits. UIowa runs up and down the court better than anyone but when opponents can get us slowed down and into a half court game, we lose a lot of our advantage. Oftentimes in half court, UIowa is not patient enough and failed to make the opposition defense “move” a lot side to side….UIowa’s transition offense and its passing is why we score points aplenty. But teams that are as quick as us or more “physical” than us, give us problems.

Reactions: amahawk
L

But, but, but ….its 1 day…. Holy anecdotal evidence, Batman.

In 28.4 minutes a game Marshall throws it away .6 times a game, has 1 steal and 1,5 assists….

In 9 minutes McCabe has .7 assists, .2 steals and .4 TOs…..

But, but, but….her dur….. per usual we’re making decisions based on our endgame snapshot… Listen, I like McCabe, but quite frankly, I promise you she’d throw the ball away more and take a lot more shots that I’m not sure the team is looking for from anyone other than their core 5… Martin Stuelke, Clark Affiltee & Davis ..

Honestly, I don’t know why it’s so hard for some of you to see what the coaches are likely seeing…

Besides she is playing less minutes…..WTF, you want her playing what 10 minutes a game…

I don’t get it….
You’re correct about one thing. You don’t get it

I get you are an apologist, every message with you is the same. you bring up TO - McCabe in Big 10 play is 12:1 assist to turnover ratio. she has 1 TO in Big 10 play. Marshall's isn't bad either, but they just don't throw her the ball anymore. What else you got.

Not even close to accurate. They do still throw her the ball, she is actually still being guarded. She is a better ball handler, and the other girls trust her explicitly.

I’d wager if CC or the rest of the girls wanted more McCabe, they’d have more.

You have zero clue what the coaches are evaluating, spacing, cutting screening… Fans like you watch a game look at a box score and make a rotational decision. As I’ve now said three times just today if that’s all it takes to be a coach then we should all be one and they are way overpaid….

I’m definitely not an apologist, but more importantly, I’m also not reactionary like you….

Anything else bud?

Lisa: "Be consistently good or consistently bad, but be something. Now, it’s like we’re almost gambling on who to put in between the 3 of them."
She's basically saying all 3 options are bad options. I think there's a better way to answer the question.
shes saying that all three are inconsistent not that they’re bad.

And yet ONCE again WHO was she supposed to bring in. Other then Betts who had ZERO interest in coming to Iowa (for reasons we've already discussed 100 times on here), what post player in the portal was she supposed to sign?
There were more than sixty WBB transfers at 6ft 2 or taller available this past off-season. More than two dozen C/F transfer players landed with a team in a major BB conference (B10, B12, SEC, PAC12, BigE) The C/F talent was out there and available.

….. and Bluder had a better sales pitch than every other coach IMO:

— returning most starters from a team that reached the national championship game

— returning starters are veterans, four of five starters are 4th or 5th year players.

— an opportunity to play with arguably the best passing PG in WBB history ; unquestionably the best current passing PG in WBB. Virtually guaranteed to get multiple quality feeds for high percentage baskets every game.

— immediate national attention and an opportunity to play in front of sold-out crowds and on national TV.

Bluder failed spectacularly.

Last edited:
As a lot of folks pointed out at the end of last year Iowa needed to go find another big and rightfully so. According to a lot of folks Bluder tried (which I believe) but did not have any $'s. IMO then Bluder was not trying hard enough and/or was not creative enough. Other teams found ways to recruit in the portal. There are probably better DIII bigs than AO and SG.

As far as HS playing out of position at the 5, I do not see her skill set at the 4 this year. It appears she has no outside shot, her handles are average at best (straight line only), her passing is pretty bad, not too mention she panics when pressured. Don't get me wrong, I think HS has tremendous upside "potential" and has been a savior filling in at the 5.

Then why are the two remaining "bigs" (AO and SG) playing the same or worse than last year? I would have thought the coaches would have spent an inordinate amount of time working with these two "bigs" off-season. If they did and this is the outcome, something is radically wrong. You would have thought minimally SG and AO would have slimmed down to be faster and more efficient with their post moves.

Fans can only hope Iowa "threes start raining in" the rest of the season to make a serious run in NCAA. I really do not think CC is coming back next year. Hope I am wrong.

JMHO

There were more than sixty WBB transfers at 6ft 2 or taller available this past off-season. More than two dozen C/F transfer players landed with a team in a major BB conference (B10, B12, SEC, PAC12, BigE) The C/F talent was out there and available.

— returning most starters from a team that reached the national championship game

— returning starters are veterans, four of five starters are 4th or 5th year players.

— an opportunity to play with arguably the best passing PG in WBB history ; unquestionably the best current passing PG in WBB. Virtually guaranteed to get multiple quality feeds for high percentage baskets every game.

— immediate national attention and an opportunity to play in front of sold-out crowds and on national TV.

Failure in your eyes…this team has played well together and improved itself generally. I am concerned right now as they seem to be “plateauing” whereas last season they were taking off at this point if the season. My own humble opinion is they miss Cizanno a lot…she really “fit in” with this group well and was a huge reason for Iowa’s successes the past 2 seasons.

Reactions: Hawksbyamillion
She has no one to blame but herself. Knowing she was losing Czinano, she spectacularly failed to bring in a quality transfer.
Hard to do when other schools are offering good NIL $$ and Iowa isn't.....

But are they? Here is what I hear from the fans.

McCabe is a shooter and she shoots way better than Gabby and therefore she automatically should play…

No consideration of game management, no consideration of chemistry, no consideration of starting the game out in a rotation, all the girls are comfortable in, no consideration of the fact that Gabby is still being guarded. She just is not taking some shots she probably could take.

There is no consideration about hiw McCabes ballhandling skills are or whether or not, she may or may not throw it away more. Incidentally a quick review of the stats look indeed, like that would be the case .

No consideration of shot selection, and where more shots for McCabe comes from… Does it take shots away from Davis, Stuelke, Martin, Clark….

Here’s where the rubber hits the highway and probably deserves its own thread. It literally just occurred to me, if you can make rotational decisions for the basketball team by watching a 40 minute game and then looking at the box score then I have to tell you…these coaches make way too much effing money…

There are Probaly 25 plus things they are talking into consideration. And adjusting as they go…

But sure, Lisa, your clearly playing the wrong guard, because you know, the fans think so…

Oh, and by the way, Lisa, if you start playing McCabe more and she has a lot of turnovers or takes shots away from the other players or just generally, the team starts losing. We will also hold you responsible for that….

Sounds reasonable…🤷‍♂️
You: "...if you can make rotational decisions for the basketball team by watching a 40 minute game and then looking at the box score then I have to tell you...these coaches make way too much effing money..."

Also you: "There is no consideration about how McCabes ballhandling skills are or whether or not, she may or may not throw it away more. Incidentally a quick review of the stats look indeed, like that would be the case."

Lol.

McCabe does turn it over more than Gabbie per game/minutes played. I wonder how that would work out with McCabe playing most of her minutes with starters and Gabbie playing most of her minutes at mop up time with the benchers.

Reactions: hawkod and MitchLL
McCabe does turn it over more than Gabbie per game/minutes played. I wonder how that would work out with McCabe playing most of her minutes with starters and Gabbie playing most of her minutes at mop up time with the benchers.
I've been told you can't just look at stats to determine who should get minutes. What was the barometric pressure on the floor at CHA when McCabe made those turnovers vs. when Gabbie made hers? How cold was the water in TM's bottle vs. Gabbie's bottle that day, because that would clearly impact their respective reflexology. What time of day did TM take her last bite of food at the team meal vs. when Gabbie took hers? What about the rest of the 25 factors coaches are seeing that none of us can? All of those things that clearly demonstrate that, just because TM turns the ball over more, it doesn't really mean she turns the ball over more.

Reactions: BGHAWK
I don't think anyone is playing all that great defensively lately. We were in zone a good bit of the game yesterday and were still letting their Gs penetrate and get to the lane without much trouble. That can't happen. I don't see defense as being the key reason for keeping any of the current starters on the floor.
Exactly, no one is tearing it up on defense including gabby. I think Bluder is just more comfortable with gabby being in there since she's been around a long time and played a ton of minutes.

That said, McCabe needs it be in there a lot more, she's a knock down shooter and gabby isn't. It's probably cost a game or two actually

Reactions: DBQ Hawk
My own humble opinion is they miss Cizanno a lot…
No shit….and highly predictable. Bluder needed a transfer to help fill the loss. It was plainly obvious last year. It’s painfully obvious today. It will be excruciatingly obvious in the tourney.

I know many of you have are probably tired of me bitching about the lack of inside game, but it really has costed this team bigly this year.

so many missed layups and turnover's off dimes from CC.

our defensive rebounding has been very good and we rank #28 in the country overall

although we are #220 in offensive rebounding, some of that might be all the three point shots but that's an awful stat

You’re correct about one thing. You don’t get it

Cool…. based on what I’ve read on here I’m not alone. Please explain it to us.

Maybe Lisa will check in and find out what she’s doing wrong….😂

I know many of you have are probably tired of me bitching about the lack of inside game, but it really has costed this team bigly this year.

so many missed layups and turnover's off dimes from CC.

our defensive rebounding has been very good and we rank #28 in the country overall

although we are #220 in offensive rebounding, some of that might be all the three point shots but that's an awful stat

The problem is all the people missing, the layups were important cogs on last year‘s team, too… And Monica had some deficiencies. In fact, she really wasn’t a great rebounder.

After all we lost 6 games last year. For all I know we missed layups then as well….

Generally, speaking fans, apparently don’t like over simplification, but when you lose, it’s because you didn’t play as good as the other team…

You don’t have to figure out what you don’t “have” you have to play better….so really, it is simple.

You: "...if you can make rotational decisions for the basketball team by watching a 40 minute game and then looking at the box score then I have to tell you...these coaches make way too much effing money..."

Also you: "There is no consideration about how McCabes ballhandling skills are or whether or not, she may or may not throw it away more. Incidentally a quick review of the stats look indeed, like that would be the case."

Lol.

I’m gonna make a full confession… That is funny and I get it but here’s the rub;,you pointing it out. Only proves we can’t do it lol, thank you….

You made my point better for me…

We aren’t coaching this team… we are message board hacks. Both of us and I don’t want you coaching the team….just so you know.

And I don’t think I know more than our current coaches….🤷‍♂️

She's not wrong, it's glaringly obvious. Everyone knows the book on Iowa, be physical and and pound them inside. It's a shame we couldn't get the money to bring Betts in.
What's a shame is what NIL has done to college athletics as a whole. Turned a scholarship into a nothing burger and semi pro institutions. Too bad there are no controls before it was released. Iowa will come up short most times from now on.

Solution: more minutes for Feuerbach if Marshall continues to miss. KF is just as good as an on-ball defender, a better rebounder, and can drive to the basket for a score. Also, lately a bigger 3Pt scoring threat.
i dont watch a ton of womens basketball but it appears to me that feuerbach is very athletic. for a team that has a history of being challenged athletically, i dont know why she doesnt get more minutes.

There were more than just 2-3 posts in the portal who would have been a decent upgrade from our current stiffs.

And there’s also the back channels to reach out to players not even in the portal yet letting them know your team is interested (which just made the title game & returned the best player/passer in the game). If you want details on how that works, I bet CJ Fred’s uncle could point you in the right direction.
Back channels?
You mean tampering?

What's a shame is what NIL has done to college athletics as a whole. Turned a scholarship into a nothing burger and semi pro institutions. Too bad there are no controls before it was released. Iowa will come up short most times from now on.
It’s what “we the people” demanded for years…….becareful what you ask for…….you just might get it.

Reactions: cmhawks99
There were more than just 2-3 posts in the portal who would have been a decent upgrade from our current stiffs.

And there’s also the back channels to reach out to players not even in the portal yet letting them know your team is interested (which just made the title game & returned the best player/passer in the game). If you want details on how that works, I bet CJ Fred’s uncle could point you in the right direction.
Super, just keep making up shit you know NOTHING about. So, your in the KNOW, (more then Bluder evidently) WHO were the players available that were better then the girls we have? Also don't forget that after the dust up with CC vs Reese, (because of all the Black sports people who chimed in when they didn't know shit about what actually happened) every black girl they went after wouldn't give them the time of day.

How many of those teams had the "lilly white race card" played on them after the championship dust up with Reese? Betts and Morrow basically said they wouldn't be caught dead in Iowa City.

Last edited:
A huge part of recruiting is flat out “luck” and no wants to talk about that because it cannot be calculated or measured.

Well it sure as shit can’t be talked about in here. Someone has to be blamed if things don’t go the way fans expect….

Wrong players, wrong minutes, wrong system, etc, etc…

It’s getting to the point we should just dump the players our fans don’t think should be playing because it’s all they can see.

It’s what “we the people” demanded for years…….becareful what you ask for…….you just might get it.
I didn't demand it but can't argue with what you said. NIL just needs some controls established before it was turned loose. Looks like the NCAA doesn't have any now.

Reactions: Hawksbyamillion
Getting plenty of entertainment of you tripling and quadrupling down on your takes.

Me too…apparently I’m in your head…🤷‍♂️ I don’t typically get stalked like this. I’m enjoying the attention….

Although to be fair, you’re not very interesting so this will probably be our last interaction for a little while.

This will give you a chance to have some corny meaningless, one liner to try to regain some semblance of self-esteem…

And before you come back with something super trite remember I’m not catering to you. There are lots of people on here that I interact well with and enjoy what I have to say, the fact that you don’t is what I’m shooting for, so keep that in mind, Ronnie

If you liked what I said, we’d have a problem….

😂.

ow many of those teams had the "lilly white race card" played on them after the championship dust up with Reese? Betts and Morrow basically said they wouldn't be caught dead in Iowa City.

These cats aren’t interested in reality, they have agendas!

I didn't demand it but can't argue with what you said. NIL just needs some controls established before it was turned loose. Looks like the NCAA doesn't have any now.
Good luck….college sports is headed for a very small, select group of schools to be competitive for national titles in FB, BB and eventually baseball and NIL Weill be the deterrminor for which schools these are. The NCAA is powerless at this point.

This is not new. Bluder has never been an elite recruiter bc Iowas culture — as a program and as a city/state — is very white and small town. Bluder’s offensive style furthermore doesn’t jive with what a lot of young kids want — a defensive oriented mindset like you find at top ACC/SEC schools. The Creighton loss had huge reverberations tbh and then the Angel Reese dust up only intensified what was already the case — that Iowa has long been known as somewhere black girls, athletic girls dont wanna go.

And if you’re a kid from a coast or a major city, moving to Iowa is along the same lines as moving to Arkansas or North Dakota. It’s a non-starter. If you don’t have an ELITE coach like Mulkey, it’s a really really hard sell to make to kids. It seems Bluder might finally be on track to overcome this in future classes but this has been undeniable over the past 10-15 years.

The timing for her to get over the recruiting hump couldnt be better tbh bc with NIL, many B1G programs may find themselves in the dust. I don’t buy that Iowa couldnt find someone bc of NIL — we have great NIL. The best in the B1G. Less than a handful of schools have anything better and that’s only bc they offer a large sum to one or two star players rather than spread it out among everyone like Iowa does.

It will pay off in the long run and I believe it’s likely part of why Iowa got Mallegni and Guyton over Ohio State (they have zero money for WBB NIL).

I would have thought the coaches would have spent an inordinate amount of time working with these two "bigs" off-season. If they did and this is the outcome, something is radically wrong. You would have thought minimally SG and AO would have slimmed down to be faster and more efficient with their post moves.
JMHO
The problem with O’Grady is she doesn’t want to play the 5. She wants to play the 4 like she did in HS, alongside Lauren Betts. This summer she released a video of her shooting 3s all around the perimeter of a court…most of us were like WTF??? We were hoping she’d be doing the Mikan drill. Thats why she likes playing in transition and shooting midrange Js. It’s very frustrating. If she would commit to the 5 she could be better than Czinano ever was. But she hasn’t and likely won’t. She is the one player I think should rly consider transfering somewhere like UNL or Creighton. Bluder is never gonna change her system, she took a gamble that O’Grady would come around and that has backfired unfortunately.
My own humble opinion is they miss Cizanno a lot…she really “fit in” with this group well and was a huge reason for Iowa’s successes the past 2 seasons.
They likely miss her but I don’t miss her (lack of) speed, rebounding, or defense. We basically had zero post defense when she was on the team.
i dont watch a ton of womens basketball but it appears to me that feuerbach is very athletic. for a team that has a history of being challenged athletically, i dont know why she doesnt get more minutes.
She is super athletic — probably the quickest and longest on the team after Stuelke and Clark. Her problems are that she can’t slow down enough to drive well and she also has ball handling issues, which leads to turnovers.

Last edited:
This is not new. Bluder has never been an elite recruiter bc Iowas culture — as a program and as a city/state — is very white and small town. Bluder’s offensive style furthermore doesn’t jive with what a lot of young kids want — a defensive oriented mindset like you find at top ACC/SEC schools. The Creighton loss had huge reverberations tbh and then the Angel Reese dust up only intensified what was already the case — that Iowa has long been known as somewhere black girls, athletic girls dont wanna go.

And if you’re a kid from a coast or a major city, moving to Iowa is along the same lines as moving to Arkansas or North Dakota. It’s a non-starters. If you don’t have an ELITE coach like Mulkey, it’s a really really hard sell to make to kids. It seems Bluder might finally be on track to overcome this in future classes but this has been undeniable over the past 10-15 years.

The timing for her to get over the recruiting hump couldnt be better tbh bc with NIL, many B1G may find themselves in the dust. I don’t buy that Iowa couldnt find someone bc of NIL — we have great NIL. The best in the B1G. Less than a handful of schools have anything better and that’s only bc they offer a large sum to one or two star players rather than spread it out among everyone like Iowa does.

It will pay off in the long run and I believe it’s likely part of why Iowa got Mallegni and Guyton over Ohio State (they have zero money for WBB NIL).

The problem with O’Grady is she doesn’t want to play the 5. She wants to play the 4 like she did in HS, alongside Lauren Betts. This summer she released a video of her shooting 3s all around the perimeter of a court…most of us were like WTF??? We were hoping she’d be doing the Mikan drill. Thats why she likes playing in transition and shooting midrange Js. It’s very frustrating. If she would commit to the 5 she could be better than Czinano ever was. But she hasn’t and likely won’t. She is the one player I think should rly consider transfering somewhere like UNL or Creighton. Bluder is never gonna change her system, she took a gamble that O’Grady would come around and that has backfired unfortunately.

They likely miss her but I don’t miss her (lack of) speed, rebounding, or defense. We basically had zero post defense when she was on the team.

She is super athletic — probably the quickest and longest on the team after Stuelke and Clark. Her problems are that she can’t slow down enough to drive well and she also has ball handling issues, which leads to turnovers.
So you’re telling me UIowa’s post defense is noticeably better this year? I respectfully disagree. UIowa’s poor post play leaves them vulnerable to lots of lay-ups, and then when UIowa “sags” to the middle, their outside is free range for 3’s. Illinois really exposed this yesterday…..as did Nebby. Cizano‘s strength was offense…she was sure handed and was really skilled at getting to the lane for lay-ups….which she cashed in on routinely. This year’s team moves up and down the court better and shoots really well, most of their time. I just hope #22 catches her “second wind” soon and starts having fun again. Because, make no mistake about it, this is Caitlan’s team (more pressure on her!)…..

Good luck….college sports is headed for a very small, select group of schools to be competitive for national titles in FB, BB and eventually baseball and NIL Weill be the deterrminor for which schools these are. The NCAA is powerless at this point.
I’m honestly about to the point I don’t care. I know some think it’s stupid and easily fixable by not reading them…

But the advent of these message boards has really crystallized the level of fan stupidity and obsession for me and I don’t like sports as much as a result. Coupled with the over the top broadcasting, the attempt to make every moment “huge”, the absolutely mind boggling stupidly of the announcing crew and everyone, fan to talking head picking apart every aspect of every game…Fvck it’s exhausting.

We have fans in here picking apart the rotation of a 21 win team…. WTF?!

Last edited:

And if you’re a kid from a coast or a major city, moving to Iowa is along the same lines as moving to Arkansas or North Dakota. It’s a non-starters. If you don’t have an ELITE coach like Mulkey, it’s a really really hard sell to make to kids. It seems Bluder might finally be on track to overcome this in future classes but this has been undeniable over the past 10-15 years.

The timing for her to get over the recruiting hump couldnt be better tbh bc with NIL, many B1G may find themselves in the dust. I don’t buy that Iowa couldnt find someone bc of NIL — we have great NIL. The best in the B1G. Less than a handful of schools have anything better and that’s only bc they offer a large sum to one or two star players rather than spread it out among everyone like Iowa does.

Great stuff, you are one of the best posters on the women’s board. Stuff I didn’t know as well, but hey we have guys in here that are picking lineups reading the box score..LOL

Reactions: shikreto
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT