ADVERTISEMENT

Bluder not happy w/ what she's getting from Addison O'Grady, Sharon Goodman & A.J. Ediger

NOTE: The SWARM CEO has stated that he made calls to WBB bigs who were in the transfer portal, so it's not like attempts were not made to land a big in the off season.

In addition, the big dollar NIL deals are going to football players. The most SWARM can offer men's and women's BB players is getting paid to volunteer.

Her postgame comments follow. I can see why Lisa is frustrated with her backup bigs but these are her recruits and I don't think she should be publicly implying that her options are not good and that it's a flip of the coin on who they should be playing.

Full text of the tweet:

Lisa Bluder's biggest frustration entering the stretch run: Getting more out of Addison O'Grady, Sharon Goodman and/or A.J. Ediger.

Bluder:

“I still would like more consistency out of our backup post player. The one thing that coaches just cringe about is inconsistency. Be consistently good or consistently bad, but be something. Now, it’s like we’re almost gambling on who to put in between the three of them, and that’s hard. It makes indecision, and it doesn’t give you enough reps with that person. That's the one thing that I think that we're still battling with.”

This quote seems out of character for Coach Bluder; she's got to be really frustrated to put this out there. I've seen a number of logical posts that have posited reasons for this, but in reality none of us have all the information. I personally don't think she wants to play Hannah at the 5 as much as she has, but in her mind that gives us the best chance to win. Like many of you, my biggest frustration is the lack of development of any of the 3 as far as being able to corral a pass and get it in the basket. We have been spoiled by Megan and Monika's talent for quite awhile. Hannah can do it too. Doubt we'll see any of them improve this late in the year.

shes saying that all three are inconsistent not that they’re bad.

Why not just say they need to do a better job of coaching?

Why say the words "consistently bad?" Lisa also brought up being "consistently good," and they are clearly not that.

I just think she answered the question poorly.

Lisa: "Be consistently good or consistently bad, but be something. Now, it’s like we’re almost gambling on who to put in between the 3 of them."

Reactions: cmhawks99
This is not new. Bluder has never been an elite recruiter bc Iowas culture — as a program and as a city/state — is very white and small town. Bluder’s offensive style furthermore doesn’t jive with what a lot of young kids want — a defensive oriented mindset like you find at top ACC/SEC schools. The Creighton loss had huge reverberations tbh and then the Angel Reese dust up only intensified what was already the case — that Iowa has long been known as somewhere black girls, athletic girls dont wanna go.

And if you’re a kid from a coast or a major city, moving to Iowa is along the same lines as moving to Arkansas or North Dakota. It’s a non-starters. If you don’t have an ELITE coach like Mulkey, it’s a really really hard sell to make to kids. It seems Bluder might finally be on track to overcome this in future classes but this has been undeniable over the past 10-15 years.

The timing for her to get over the recruiting hump couldnt be better tbh bc with NIL, many B1G may find themselves in the dust. I don’t buy that Iowa couldnt find someone bc of NIL — we have great NIL. The best in the B1G. Less than a handful of schools have anything better and that’s only bc they offer a large sum to one or two star players rather than spread it out among everyone like Iowa does.

It will pay off in the long run and I believe it’s likely part of why Iowa got Mallegni and Guyton over Ohio State (they have zero money for WBB NIL).

The problem with O’Grady is she doesn’t want to play the 5. She wants to play the 4 like she did in HS, alongside Lauren Betts. This summer she released a video of her shooting 3s all around the perimeter of a court…most of us were like WTF??? We were hoping she’d be doing the Mikan drill. Thats why she likes playing in transition and shooting midrange Js. It’s very frustrating. If she would commit to the 5 she could be better than Czinano ever was. But she hasn’t and likely won’t. She is the one player I think should rly consider transfering somewhere like UNL or Creighton. Bluder is never gonna change her system, she took a gamble that O’Grady would come around and that has backfired unfortunately.

They likely miss her but I don’t miss her (lack of) speed, rebounding, or defense. We basically had zero post defense when she was on the team.

She is super athletic — probably the quickest and longest on the team after Stuelke and Clark. Her problems are that she can’t slow down enough to drive well and she also has ball handling issues, which leads to turnovers.
Interesting insight on AOG. Did not know much of this. Of the three she's the one I thought could really step into that role, and she's had her moments. I really thought Bluder just needs to give her more time with the starters and let her get in a groove with them. She doesn't seem athletic enough to be shooting on the perimeter. She has the body and size to be that post player we need, but she doesn't seem to have the will, so your insight makes sense. You could be right about her moving on. Between her limited playing time this season, and A true post coming in next year in Heiden its doubtful she'll be starting next year either...

Hard to do when other schools are offering good NIL $$ and Iowa isn't.....
There are only a few teams that can offer more than Iowa. And as stated earlier, there were more posts available besides just the top 2-3 who would be a significant upgrade.

So you’re telling me UIowa’s post defense is noticeably better this year? I respectfully disagree. UIowa’s poor post play leaves them vulnerable to lots of lay-ups, and then when UIowa “sags” to the middle, their outside is free range for 3’s. Illinois really exposed this yesterday…..as did Nebby. Cizano‘s strength was offense…she was sure handed and was really skilled at getting to the lane for lay-ups….which she cashed in on routinely. This year’s team moves up and down the court better and shoots really well, most of their time. I just hope #22 catches her “second wind” soon and starts having fun again. Because, make no mistake about it, this is Caitlan’s team (more pressure on her!)…..

You’re a good poster, so I hope I don’t come off as snarky here, but the problem with message boards and fans in general. Are they honestly think they see exactly what’s going on and yet if you caught them in a moment of brazen, honesty, you’d realize they’re using faulty, thought processes from the beginning….

For example, I know for a fact just about a month ago when everybody was bitching about the rebounding, and a couple of us came through and pointed out. We actually are a better rebounding team this year, they were shocked. We have four players currently on this team, averaging as many or more rebounds than Monica did….

She also was turnover prone, as was Michelle Warnock, 2+ per game for both of them, they didn’t block shots and they didn’t get steals.

She was not a good post defender or great rebounder, she just wasn’t, but fans refuse to get that.

I do agree with the “having fun” problem as it pertains to CC, she just looks like she’s been pressing lately.

Interesting insight on AOG. Did not know much of this. Of the three she's the one I thought could really step into that role, and she's had her moments. I really thought Bluder just needs to give her more time with the starters and let her get in a groove with them. She doesn't seem athletic enough to be shooting on the perimeter. She has the body and size to be that post player we need, but she doesn't seem to have the will, so your insight makes sense. You could be right about her moving on. Between her limited playing time this season, and A true post coming in next year in Heiden its doubtful she'll be starting next year either...

Yes, absolute amazing insight that changes my perspective greatly on a number of things but hey, we still have that Taylor McCabe why the hell isn’t she playing more?

Doh!!!

Why say the words "consistently bad?" Lisa also brought up being "consistently good," and they are clearly not that.

Lisa: "Be consistently good or consistently bad, but be something. Now, it’s like we’re almost gambling on who to put in between the 3 of them."

I agree she didn’t help herself there…

Reactions: Franisdaman
There are only a few teams that can offer more than Iowa. And as stated earlier, there were more posts available besides just the top 2-3 who would be a significant upgrade.

Well here’s the deal, most didn’t expect this team to be this strong and yet they are, so it doesn’t matter.

I generally don’t have a heavy-handed criticism of anyone, unless I know a lot of details, for example, how they affect chemistry, how long they have to play, will their overall game mesh with our overall game, are they positive, good work ethic, selfish, versatile, etc…

Only a person that literally you should never listen to would come to a decision about something they have pretty much no details on…

Just sayin’…

Unless of course you’re one of those guys that just thinks adding anyone works… And if you are that guy, I have a question for you….

Do you think adding two or three All-Stars from another team will automatically make your roster and overall team better?

Last edited:
You’re a good poster, so I hope I don’t come off as snarky here, but the problem with message boards and fans in general. Are they honestly think they see exactly what’s going on and yet if you caught them in a moment of brazen, honesty, you’d realize they’re using faulty, thought processes from the beginning….

For example, I know for a fact just about a month ago when everybody was bitching about the rebounding, and a couple of us came through and pointed out. We actually are a better rebounding team this year, they were shocked. We have four players currently on this team, averaging as many or more rebounds than Monica did….

She also was turnover prone, as was Michelle Warnock, 2+ per game for both of them, they didn’t block shots and they didn’t get steals.

She was not a good post defender or great rebounder, she just wasn’t, but fans refuse to get that.

I do agree with the “having fun” problem as it pertains to CC, she just looks like she’s been pressing lately.
UIowa’s strength with Bluder is offense. Always has been. Cizanno was much more of an inside threat/ presence than what they have now. Cizanno gave UIowa an inside defense presence they don’t have now. They really don’t rebound very well now but well enough to set up their transition game….and that is their key.
UIowa women will never win an award for great defense but everything is relative…their offense is their strength and no one does it better than UIowa tge past few years.

UIowa’s strength with Bluder is offense. Always has been. Cizanno was much more of an inside threat/ presence than what they have now. Cizanno gave UIowa an inside defense presence they don’t have now. They really don’t rebound very well now but well enough to set up their transition game….and that is their key.
UIowa women will never win an award for great defense but everything is relative…their offense is their strength and no one does it better than UIowa tge past few years.

Yes, though we do have to play better defense, they have for the most part and we have a plus rebounding margin of 24th in the nation which is WAAAAYYYY better than lastvyear and good enough per se…

Czinano gave UIowa an inside defense presence they don’t have now. They really don’t rebound very well now but well enough to set up their transition game….and that is their key.
I’m sorry but this is just revisionist history lol. Czinano was not a good defender and a poor rebounder. She could not block shots, she could not move quickly, she could barely jump. She never locked any elite post up. It was usually the opposite unfortunately. Elite at offense for sure but if she was even remotely good at defense she would have been a much higher pick in the W. There’s a reason she was a 3rd round pick who got cut and wasn’t even a 4 star recruit in HS. Bluder even said in a podcast this year that “I love Monika but defense was not her strength.”

Also please for the love of god learn how to spell their names. CZINANO lmao. And McKenna Warnock, not Michelle, whoever the guy was that wrote that lol.

Last edited:
I'm just interested how you KNOW that the other players available were "significant upgrades" over AOG as an example? All three of Iowa's posts were top 100 recruits I believe. And yes, at this point thats meaningless, BUT so is any evaluation your doing on potential transfers. Who are they. Where did they come from, and where did they go? What are they doing right NOW which makes them an upgrade? All I'm seeing is a few posters saying they would be "significant upgrades" in OUR system. What are you basing this statement on thats not just conjecture of throwing shit against the wall?

I’m sorry but this is just revisionist history lol. Czinano was not a good defender and a poor rebounder. She could not block shots, she could not move quickly, she could barely jump. She never locked any elite post up. It was usually the opposite unfortunately. Elite at offense for sure but if she was even remotely good at defense she would have been a much higher pick in the W. There’s a reason she was a 3rd round pick who got cut and wasn’t even a 4 star recruit in HS. Bluder even said in a podcast this year that “I love Monika but defense was not her strength.”

Also please for the love of god learn how to spell their names. CZINANO lmao. And McKenna Warnock, not Michelle, whoever the guy was that wrote they lol.

That was me buddy I’m not sure where that came from. My wife’s name is Michelle maybe that’s it and she has dark hair lol.

Reactions: shikreto

Also please for the love of god learn how to spell their names. CZINANO lmao. And McKenna Warnock, not Michelle, whoever the guy was that wrote they lol.
She was a big body. She gave
UIowa a defensive presence in the lane . They do not have that now, at all.
I don’t think I ever said she was a great defender as her strength was on offense. She moved smartly inside. She screened brilliantly. She was sure-handed abd dependable close in around the basket…more so than this year. If }22 was being mugged outside, generally she could really hurt the opposition in the lane on offense. I believe that is what I said.

She was a big body. She gave
UIowa a defensive presence in the lane . They do not have that now, at all.
I don’t think I ever said she was a great defender as her strength was on offense. She moved smartly inside. She screened brilliantly. She was sure-handed abd dependable close in around the basket…more so than this year. If }22 was being mugged outside, generally she could really hurt the opposition in the lane on offense. I believe that is what I said.
She was great with screens but that is an offensive skill. Czinano was big but that didn’t stop bigs, wings and guards from just shooting right over her or blowing past her. We actually defended Holmes from IU better this year in the first game vs IU than Czinano did last year 1 on 1.

She was great with screens but that is an offensive skill. Czinano was big but that didn’t stop bigs, wings and guards from just shooting right over her or blowing past her. We actually defended Holmes from IU better this year in the first game vs IU than Czinano did last year 1 on 1.
She was still a presence! That’s what I’m saying! Her skill was offense but she was an “space eater” and could clog things up in the inside. Jeeebus keeeerist..What do want me to do? kiss ur phuquin Ass and proclaim you lord and master here?
Personally , I think a year ago UIowa was better team than they are right now and Cizanno for me is the “missing piece”…I wish she was back. Iowa doesn’t stop “bigs” this year any better than last, they really don’t rebound noticeably better either and their inside game was more dependable last year than present. UIowa still does many things very well but they are coached that way and they have great personnel to play the way they play. A year ago this time UIowa was trending upwards… right now they seem to be trending “tired”…but after week 16 I didn’t think KC would get out if the second round of the play-offs….so what do I know? But… I’ll admit it.

She was still a presence! That’s what I’m saying! Her skill was offense but she was an “space eater” and could clog things up in the inside. Jeeebus keeeerist..What do want me to do? kiss ur phuquin Ass and proclaim you lord and master here?
Personally , I think a year ago UIowa was better team than they are right now and Cizanno for me is the “missing piece”…I wish she was back. Iowa doesn’t stop “bigs” this year any better than last, they really don’t rebound noticeably better either and their inside game was more dependable last year than present. UIowa still does many things very well but they are coached that way and they have great personnel to play the way they play. A year ago this time UIowa was trending upwards… right now they seem to be trending “tired”…but after week 16 I didn’t think KC would get out if the second round of the play-offs….so what do I know? But… I’ll admit it.
Yes, I want you to proclaim me your lord and master. That's the only thing I care about in the world tbh.

I agree with the Czinano defense, but she wanted the ball and worked hard to get it and when she did, she finished. O'Grady will take the ball if you throw it to her.

Reactions: joelbc1
I'm just interested how you KNOW that the other players available were "significant upgrades" over AOG as an example? All three of Iowa's posts were top 100 recruits I believe. And yes, at this point thats meaningless, BUT so is any evaluation your doing on potential transfers. Who are they. Where did they come from, and where did they go? What are they doing right NOW which makes them an upgrade? All I'm seeing is a few posters saying they would be "significant upgrades" in OUR system. What are you basing this statement on thats not just conjecture of throwing shit against the wall?

They have no ****ing clue at the end of the day. They’re just Hass to be something they can point out that is “wrong” so they can feel smart about themselves and they can whine and bitch…..

The funniest part is if they were the head coach there would be somebody on a message board bitching about what they were doing. But that’s where they & Im assuming you and I and any other rational people differ… We have a Voice in our head that makes us aware of that.. they however do not…

Since this has turned into a Monika thread, anyone know what's up with her? She hasn't played for her Hungarian team, TFSE-MTK, since January 12.

Maybe I could help you… First, go to the NCAA website and look up statistics, you’ll find out we rebound 6 to 7 rebounds a game better, good enough for top 25 in the nation… Then I direct you to box scores and three dominating posts we’ve played & the numbers they’ve put up against us… We aren’t losing games because of posts.

Incidentally the tired comment I find apropos!

Last edited:

Honestly why can people see this…seriously I don’t know Holmes did in the last game, but it wasn’t her that crushed us.

And against Lee, Kitner and Homes the first time…holy snikes!

But fans can’t see it…

Maybe I could help you… First, go to the NCAA website and look up statistics, you’ll find out we rebound 6 to 7 rebounds a game better, good enough for top 25 in the nation… Then I direct you to box scores and three dominating posts we’ve played & the numbers they’ve put up against us… We aren’t losing games because of posts.

Incidentally the tired comment I find apropos!
Lol, it's literally the reason we lost to tOSU. McMahon had a career-high 33 pts and 12 rebounds. She destroyed us in the paint. She scored 13 in the 4th quarter and 8 in OT.

Last edited:
Lol, it's literally the reason we lost to tOSU. McMahon had 33 pts and 12 rebounds. She destroyed us in the paint.

Lol…indeed, she’s a slashing forward. Let’s see how much you know about basketball, where should you stop that player? In the paint with your post player who didn’t rebound well and didn’t block shots or somewhere else…?

I realize I’m a dick sometimes but if you guys weren’t so adamantly shitty about our coaches and players, I wouldn’t **** with you like this but again, where do you stop that player? Where should she really be defended at?

You can get this…

LOLOLOLOLO

Lol, it's literally the reason we lost to tOSU. McMahon had a career-high 33 pts and 12 rebounds. She destroyed us in the paint. She scored 13 in the 4th quarter and 8 in OT.

And this is where shit gets fun for me and my real reason for ****ing around on message boards…

Again if people weren’t so adamant about how “bad things were“ I wouldn’t **** with them, but last year in January Ohio State beat us 92 to 88 Monica had 23 points and nine rebounds And they had a four guard lineup …

I mean, honestly, this shits just too comical to even make up… You play with who is on the floor and you adjust. The key to a great women’s basketball team isn’t an offensive minded post that can’t block shots and is an average rebounder. Holy ****!!

Lol…indeed, she’s a slashing forward. Let’s see how much you know about basketball, where should you stop that player? In the paint with your post player who didn’t rebound well and didn’t block shots or somewhere else…?

I realize I’m a dick sometimes but if you guys weren’t so adamantly shitty about our coaches and players, I wouldn’t **** with you like this but again, where do you stop that player? Where should she really be defended at?

You can get this…

LOLOLOLOLO
Lol, did you watch the game? I did. She got her points with her back to the basket and abusing our post defenders. I'd try backtracking too if I were you. Lol.

Monika would not have been able to stop her either FWIW. I'm not saying that our posts couldn't be better. Just that I don't think adding Monika would solve that problem or make the team significantly bette when accounting for the her negatives as well.

We really got into a WHOLE lotta trouble last year relying on her too much. Then when more athletic players would lock her up (which regularly happened -- see UConn, NC State, Maryland, Indiana)....no one outside Warnock was ready to step up. Of course that changed come tourney time. But it was something we saw happen over and over again.

Our guards this year have been overall more consistent than our guards last year (our 3pt% is looking AWESOME tbh)...we just need some improvement in the front court this year. The time is now.

Lol, did you watch the game? I did. She got her points with her back to the basket and abusing our post defenders. I'd try backtracking too if I were you. Lol.

No she didn’t…. Holy **** now you’re going to resort to lying there have been 20 other people talk about her driving into the lane and bowling. Our girls over holy shit dude I’m not even gonna look it up because I know what I saw I promise you 20 or 33 points came driving the lane.

When someone else comes along and verifies this, I’ll expect you to circle around and say you’re sorry..

• Haha
Reactions: Gonzo Bloor
No she didn’t…. Holy **** now you’re going to resort to lying there have been 20 other people talk about her driving into the lane and bowling. Our girls over holy shit dude I’m not even gonna look it up because I know what I saw I promise you 20 or 33 points came driving the lane.

When someone else comes along and verifies this, I’ll expect you to circle around and say you’re sorry..

Monika would not have been able to stop her either FWIW. I'm not saying that our posts couldn't be better. Just that I don't think adding Monika would solve that problem or make the team significantly bette when accounting for the her negatives as well.

We really got into a WHOLE lotta trouble last year relying on her too much. Then when more athletic players would lock her up (which regularly happened -- see UConn, NC State, Maryland, Indiana)....no one outside Warnock was ready to step up. Of course that changed come tourney time. But it was something we saw happen over and over again.

Our guards this year have been overall more consistent than our guards last year (our 3pt% is looking AWESOME tbh)...we just need some improvement in the front court this year. The time is now.

Bingo, besides the fact, I’ve watched tOSU play a lot, she is a slasher, it’s actually been talked about on here. @Gonzo Bloor likes to see things so they fit his narrative.

Honestly there are others who have talked about it @kceasthawk being one of them

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Gonzo Bloor
They have no ****ing clue at the end of the day. They’re just Hass to be something they can point out that is “wrong” so they can feel smart about themselves and they can whine and bitch…..

The funniest part is if they were the head coach there would be somebody on a message board bitching about what they were doing. But that’s where they & Im assuming you and I and any other rational people differ… We have a Voice in our head that makes us aware of that.. they however do not…
Its just that its ridiculous. Poster Joe (or whomever) doesn't think our post players are up to the job. Okay. But then its oh well, Bluder screwed up because their were "two dozen post players" or "60 players over 6'2" "whatever in the hell that has to do with the price of tea in china. And because these players were out there, then they MUST have been better then the three on the roster, right? I mean what is that based on? WHY were they in the portal? Were they not playing before? Were they on decent teams behind other really good players? Where did they transfer? Are they doing ANYTHING at their new schools? Would they fit on the current team. I mean ZERO context, just a random number of players in the portal, who MUST have been better then what we have. Based on WHAT, is all I'm asking? So Bluder and her staff didn't see anyone they either could land, or thought would be an upgrade, BUT Joe poster, KNOWS that said players in the portal would be an upgrade? Seriously? There were over 1000 guys in the portal last year, and about half either didn't find a new home or had to drop to a lower division. Why do you think that is? Maybe the same thing in the womens portal, huh?

For those that think Gabby is good at her job, I have a question. How would we do with 5 players like that? Score 15-30 pts a game (at 3-6 per player). If you are not scoring, not rebounding and not handling the ball, what are you doing on the court.

Reactions: DBQ Hawk and BGHAWK
For those that think Gabby is good at her job, I have a question. How would we do with 5 players like that? Score 15-30 pts a game (at 3-6 per player). If you are not scoring, not rebounding and not handling the ball, what are you doing on the court.

ooooohhhh that’s a good question….heres one, how would we do with 5 Molly Davis, 5 Monica’s, 5 Aliyah Boston’s, hell 5 Kate Martins…🤷‍♂️

That would be the best team the last one, and it still would have major deficiencies…

What a question…

Lol, I'd call for help too if I were you.

Look at the shot chart from that game and tell me tOSU didn't win it in the post.

lol…. That explains it, I knew you weren’t really that dumb. If you drive the length of the court and lay it up that is a point in the paint it doesn’t matter where you start. So if you got the ball on the wing, drove it inside, bowled over seven girls on the way that’s a point in the paint and that’s where the shot chart comes from….

Dumb is dumb buddy…I’m sorry

Not to mention the most obvious, you grabbed one player in one of our four losses when you could’ve grabbed three of the absolute best post players in the nation…LOL

Guess why you didn’t… They didn’t fit your narrative lol

Lol they aren’t consistently good or consistently bad because they’re INCONSISTENT how do you not get what she was saying?

lol…. That explains it, I knew you weren’t really that dumb. If you drive the length of the court and lay it up that is a point in the paint it doesn’t matter where you start. So if you got the ball on the wing, drove it inside, bowled over seven girls on the way that’s a point in the paint and that’s where the shot chart comes from….

Dumb is dumb buddy…I’m sorry

Not to mention the most obvious, you grabbed one player in one of our four losses when you could’ve grabbed three of the absolute best post players in the nation…LOL

Guess why you didn’t… They didn’t fit your narrative lol
Lol, yeah, all of those 2 foot FGs were in transition and off the dribble. Lololol.

You're precious. Keep being you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT