ADVERTISEMENT

Bluder not happy w/ what she's getting from Addison O'Grady, Sharon Goodman & A.J. Ediger

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
NOTE: The SWARM CEO has stated that he made calls to WBB bigs who were in the transfer portal, so it's not like attempts were not made to land a big in the off season.

In addition, the big dollar NIL deals are going to football players. The most SWARM can offer men's and women's BB players is getting paid to volunteer.

Her postgame comments follow. I can see why Lisa is frustrated with her backup bigs but these are her recruits and I don't think she should be publicly implying that her options are not good and that it's a flip of the coin on who they should be playing.

Full text of the tweet:

Lisa Bluder's biggest frustration entering the stretch run: Getting more out of Addison O'Grady, Sharon Goodman and/or A.J. Ediger.

Bluder:

“I still would like more consistency out of our backup post player. The one thing that coaches just cringe about is inconsistency. Be consistently good or consistently bad, but be something. Now, it’s like we’re almost gambling on who to put in between the three of them, and that’s hard. It makes indecision, and it doesn’t give you enough reps with that person. That's the one thing that I think that we're still battling with.”

Reactions: NevadaHawk
Agreed and clearly she’s on top of it, but it is what it is….

We’ve played some great centers and won, but it would sure be nice to get a little consistency. Addy had a tough day.

But hell as you look at the box score she had 6pts and 7 boards & Goodman didn’t log any stats

If she’s gonna acknowledge players that need to have more consistent production, I’m not sure why Gabbie M isn’t being discussed. I’m a huge Gabbie fan, but she has had a super inconsistent and frankly, rough year. I understand she’s not a big, but it’s not off topic. Having a gap in production every game is a big challenge. Ordinarily defense makes up for it but that’s been really struggling this year too.

If she’s gonna acknowledge players that need to have more consistent production, I’m not sure why Gabbie M isn’t being discussed. I’m a huge Gabbie fan, but she has had a super inconsistent and frankly, rough year. I understand she’s not a big, but it’s not off topic. Having a gap in production every game is a big challenge. Ordinarily defense makes up for it but that’s been really struggling this year too.
I have watched almost all the games, except those on Peacock, and I don’t know that I’ve seen her make 3 baskets. I’m not sure why she keeps getting all the minutes.

Overall this year from what I have seen of the 3 backup posts is O'Grady has the best combination of catching and scoring, rebounding but they might all be a little deficient on defense.

Oh they ARE defensively deficient for sure..😊

But your original premise for my eyes is correct. Goodman struggles catching the ball and I guess we don’t really no about Edinger🤷‍♂️

Addy can move around but she isn’t physically strong enough yet IMO.

Yeah, I just don't think it's a good look to be publicly throwing anyone under the bus.

Well besides Bluder talking about this subject I hope she talks to the team about the lead and the time on the clock. The hawks were up 18 points with just over 4 minutes to go when Marshall got a defensive rebound and threw it length of the court and it was intercepted. Luckily while Iowa was making turnovers for a minute or so Illinois made a couple turnovers and rimmed out a couple of treys.

But the hawks could have and should have been milking clock with that 18 point lead. From that turnover at the 4+ minute mark to about 2:20 to play Iowa was stuck on 95 points, forcing passes, and making turnovers early in the shot clock. Bluder needs to coach better hear and settle them down.

Luckily Illinois only gained 2 pts in this over 90 second span. The game could have gotten close whereas if iowa milks about 30 seconds each possession and works it around for a foul or a good shot they probably win by 20.

If Gab Marsh can't hit from 3 you would think she would penetrate like Molly D does but she does not even attempt that. I saw a little of it today with our bigs but too often against shot blockers we need to ball fake, shot fake, pump fake however you want to call it and draw fouls on the opposition while we are in the act of shooting.
Solution: more minutes for Feuerbach if Marshall continues to miss. KF is just as good as an on-ball defender, a better rebounder, and can drive to the basket for a score. Also, lately a bigger 3Pt scoring threat.

Mistakes have been made this season with the decision to play Hannah exclusively at the 5. Because of this decision, both O'Grady and Goodman have struggled.

At the start of the season, O'Grady was ready to step into the lineup and looked good at Kinnick, but Bluder decided that they wanted to go small and play Hannah at the 5. The 2 most difficult positions to play effectively, with limited minutes are the 1 and the 5. Thus the struggles. O'Grady or Goodman, which ever is the first in, generally sit the first 4-6 min of the game before they sub in for Hannah. They run up and down the court 4 or 5 times and then sub back out before they have even broke a sweat.

I truly think that had the coaches just stuck with O'Grady at the 5 and played her 20 min a game there, she would have produced.

Min distribution should have been:
5: O'Grady 20, Hannah 15, Goodman/AJ 5
4: Hannah 15, Martin 15, Affolter 10
3: Martin 15, Marshall 10, Feuerbach 10, Affolter 5
2: Molly 20, Marshall 10, McCabe/Feuerbach 10
1: Clark 35, Molly 5

Sticking with O'Grady wouldn't have affected Hannah at all and probably would have kept her out of foul trouble and healthier.

Next year we add Heiden, another 5. You can't have five players playing exclusively the same position. Coached have blown the handling of this imho

Hopefully we don't pay for it too early in the tourney, but if we match up with Kitley (Va Tech), Betts (UCLA), Brink (Stanford), Pili (Utah), Holmes (Indiana), Cardoso (South Carolina), Hannah is going to be on the bench in foul trouble and we will be forced to go with either O'Grady or Goodman, neither of which has much confidence right now.

McCabe should be playing over Gabbie Marshall. She has been a huge disappointment this season.

Hope the message gets received by the post players. Very risky to be critical through the media but maybe she is tired of them not getting it.

Mistakes have been made this season with the decision to play Hannah exclusively at the 5. Because of this decision, both O'Grady and Goodman have struggled.

At the start of the season, O'Grady was ready to step into the lineup and looked good at Kinnick, but Bluder decided that they wanted to go small and play Hannah at the 5. The 2 most difficult positions to play effectively, with limited minutes are the 1 and the 5. Thus the struggles. O'Grady or Goodman, which ever is the first in, generally sit the first 4-6 min of the game before they sub in for Hannah. They run up and down the court 4 or 5 times and then sub back out before they have even broke a sweat.

I truly think that had the coaches just stuck with O'Grady at the 5 and played her 20 min a game there, she would have produced.

Sticking with O'Grady wouldn't have affected Hannah at all and probably would have kept her out of foul trouble and healthier.

Next year we add Heiden, another 5. You can't have five players playing exclusively the same position. Coached have blown the handling of this imho

Hopefully we don't pay for it too early in the tourney, but if we match up with Kitley (Va Tech), Betts (UCLA), Brink (Stanford), Pili (Utah), Holmes (Indiana), Cardoso (South Carolina), Hannah is going to be on the bench in foul trouble and we will be forced to go with either O'Grady or Goodman, neither of which has much confidence right now.
Agree with pretty much all of this. AOG looked last year like—if given consistent minutes—she could seize the 5 spot. Yeah she needed to polish the rough edges but hasn’t gotten anywhere near enough of a chance to do it with the minutes she gets. Europe would’ve been a good time to basically put her on the floor and leave her there to get better.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ree4 and kceasthawk
NOTE: The SWARM CEO has stated that he made calls to WBB bigs who were in the transfer portal, so it's not like attempts were not made to land a big in the off season.

In addition, the big dollar NIL deals are going to football players. The most SWARM can offer men's and women's BB players is getting paid to volunteer.

Her postgame comments follow. I can see why Lisa is frustrated with her backup bigs but these are her recruits and I don't think she should be publicly implying that her options are not good and that it's a flip of the coin on who they should be playing.

Full text of the tweet:

Lisa Bluder's biggest frustration entering the stretch run: Getting more out of Addison O'Grady, Sharon Goodman and/or A.J. Ediger.

Bluder:

“I still would like more consistency out of our backup post player. The one thing that coaches just cringe about is inconsistency. Be consistently good or consistently bad, but be something. Now, it’s like we’re almost gambling on who to put in between the three of them, and that’s hard. It makes indecision, and it doesn’t give you enough reps with that person. That's the one thing that I think that we're still battling with.”

She should add Gabby to the list.

Overall disagree. Our bigs for as big as they are are incredibly weak with the ball. Our team is pretty small already so if we’re going to not be as physical, might as well have the speed and athleticism out there instead of the bigs who have trouble catching and being strong. JMO.

Overall disagree. Our bigs for as big as they are are incredibly weak with the ball. Our team is pretty small already so if we’re going to not be as physical, might as well have the speed and athleticism out there instead of the bigs who have trouble catching and being strong. JMO.
That might be true in the men's game, but in the women's game you have to have size. Audi Crooks at Iowa State is a perfect example. A player with that body type would never work in the men's game, but in the women's game it works and those players can dominate. Luckily the Big Ten really only has 1 player, Holmes at Indiana, who fits that style. (and to be honest she is more of a Megan G type player).

And to be clear I do think Hannah can play the 5, but using her exclusively there will most likely spell trouble for Iowa against a team with a dominate 5. (unless Caitlin goes nuts along with Molly and Martin, which is possible)

If Gab Marsh can't hit from 3 you would think she would penetrate like Molly D does but she does not even attempt that. I saw a little of it today with our bigs but too often against shot blockers we need to ball fake, shot fake, pump fake however you want to call it and draw fouls on the opposition while we are in the act of shooting.
Gabbie Marshall penetrating is a turnover machine.

Gabbie today, 1-4 and 0-3 from 3 23 plus minutes

McCabe 2-2 and 2-2 from 3 in 6 minutes plus.

But but but Gabbie's defense. BS

I have watched almost all the games, except those on Peacock, and I don’t know that I’ve seen her make 3 baskets. I’m not sure why she keeps getting all the minutes.

So here’s a question, who of you have actually investigated her minutes and her shooting year over year….

Her minutes have actually gone down 3 years in a row, she is averaging 5.2 pts from, 6.2, 3pt % from 37.9 to 31.9….and her minutes have been dropping even more of late.

My guess is most of you had the faulty assumption she was “awesome” last year when in reality she’s been the same. 24 minutes is not to much time…her last game.

I honestly don’t get why some of you parse such meaningless shit.

She’s a long time starter, she doesn’t throw the ball away, she plays sold defense, and she knows exactly where to be and what’s expected of her…..not to mention we need her engaged, her teammates trust her and we need the depth…I get it’s a message board but seriously, we need to critique everything…WTH?

And I am NOT a fan per se. I’m a huge fan of Affollter but I personally believe she is right where she belongs….slowly getting more and more minutes.

Feurbach does not handle the ball as well nor does McCabe.

They are not light years better which I think many of you think. But here’s the deal. The team already has a coach who is doing a good job.

L
Gabbie today, 1-4 and 0-3 from 3 23 plus minutes

McCabe 2-2 and 2-2 from 3 in 6 minutes plus.

But but but Gabbie's defense. BS

But, but, but ….its 1 day…. Holy anecdotal evidence, Batman.

In 28.4 minutes a game Marshall throws it away .6 times a game, has 1 steal and 1,5 assists….

In 9 minutes McCabe has .7 assists, .2 steals and .4 TOs…..

But, but, but….her dur….. per usual we’re making decisions based on our endgame snapshot… Listen, I like McCabe, but quite frankly, I promise you she’d throw the ball away more and take a lot more shots that I’m not sure the team is looking for from anyone other than their core 5… Martin Stuelke, Clark Affiltee & Davis ..

Honestly, I don’t know why it’s so hard for some of you to see what the coaches are likely seeing…

Besides she is playing less minutes…..WTF, you want her playing what 10 minutes a game…

I don’t get it….

Totally agree. Can't argue Gabby's defensive ability but she is not bringing any threat of offense this season. Most shooters who are struggling like to get fouled so they can go to the line and calmly work on their shot. I did a doubletake when I saw that Gabby has only shot a grand total of 3 freethrows in 28 games. If I were a coach that would be as big of a red flag as my concern with my post forwards.

She has no one to blame but herself. Knowing she was losing Czinano, she spectacularly failed to bring in a quality transfer.

You don’t have one live horse in your whole entire community do you….WTF!!

Don’t watch bud….i think they can live without one extra fan and I hope someone is talking trash about you everyday….you'd have it coming.

Reactions: RicoSuave102954
L

But, but, but ….its 1 day…. Holy anecdotal evidence, Batman.

In 28.4 minutes a game Marshall throws it away .6 times a game, has 1 steal and 1,5 assists….

In 9 minutes McCabe has .7 assists, .2 steals and .4 TOs…..

But, but, but….her dur….. per usual we’re making decisions based on our endgame snapshot… Listen, I like McCabe, but quite frankly, I promise you she’d throw the ball away more and take a lot more shots that I’m not sure the team is looking for from anyone other than their core 5… Martin Stuelke, Clark Affiltee & Davis ..

Honestly, I don’t know why it’s so hard for some of you to see what the coaches are likely seeing…

Besides she is playing less minutes…..WTF, you want her playing what 10 minutes a game…

I don’t get it….
Not quite sure what you are watching. Besides a 3 game streak this year, she has been a negative on the floor this year. She has had 4 games where she was scoreless, that is unacceptable for any starter... let alone a 5th year one. I think her and Affalter should switch roles.

Reactions: HIWILLE
Calling out the bigs and letting Marshall skate shouldn't be received well by those three.

Bluder needs to look in the mirror.

LOL….i would bet you dollars to donuts, this rotation is based on the entirety of the team and they are actually ok with it… chemistry is clearly good…

Ask yourself something…does this team need more offensive prowess or stability and defense.

It’s rhetorical, it’s an obvious answer.

She has no one to blame but herself. Knowing she was losing Czinano, she spectacularly failed to bring in a quality transfer.
And yet ONCE again WHO was she supposed to bring in. Other then Betts who had ZERO interest in coming to Iowa (for reasons we've already discussed 100 times on here), what post player in the portal was she supposed to sign?

Excellent post. I also believe that AOG really hasn't been given enough rope, and its effected her mentally...

LOL….i would bet you dollars to donuts, this rotation is based on the entirety of the team and they are actually ok with it… chemistry is clearly good…

Ask yourself something…does this team need more offensive prowess or stability and defense.

It’s rhetorical, it’s an obvious answer.
You need offensive prowess other than CC otherwise you get the game at Bloomington.

Full text of the tweet:

Bluder:

I call BS on SWARM statement. It was pretty well known that the only big they contacted was Betts and she wasn't going anywhere but UCLA.

Agree this is Bluder's doing, but she should have seen this 2 years ago, or the year after MC's JR season. The Iowa big's are a combination of weak and not confident.

She's not wrong, it's glaringly obvious. Everyone knows the book on Iowa, be physical and and pound them inside. It's a shame we couldn't get the money to bring Betts in.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT