ADVERTISEMENT

Bo Nickal vs. Burroughs

The crazy thing about the UFC hyping up Bo Nickal is I don't see the potential. He is just too slow. and brundage, while getting submitted in the 2nd round, made Bo look a little vulnerable and threw him like a toy to the cage at one point.

Phil Davis had more mma upside than Bo because Phil Davis was athletic as hell, for example.
Johny Hendricks had huge punching power and OK state PEDs in his veins
Logan Storely has a crazy gas tank

Bo also needs to stfu about him being a favorite vs Khamzat Chimaev. I know he's a pro that needs to market himself, but be real Bo, don't be a fraud.
This is a horrible take lol. Bo isn’t athletic? lol. Bo has the whole package going for him right now and will only get better. He’ll be fighting for championships within a couple years. This is coming from someone that really can’t stand him either.

The crazy thing about the UFC hyping up Bo Nickal is I don't see the potential. He is just too slow. and brundage, while getting submitted in the 2nd round, made Bo look a little vulnerable and threw him like a toy to the cage at one point.

Phil Davis had more mma upside than Bo because Phil Davis was athletic as hell, for example.
Johny Hendricks had huge punching power and OK state PEDs in his veins
Logan Storely has a crazy gas tank

Bo also needs to stfu about him being a favorite vs Khamzat Chimaev. I know he's a pro that needs to market himself, but be real Bo, don't be a fraud.
Again , it’s marketing . Honestly I have no desire to watch the UFC ever unless he’s in it. I think it’s stupid and boring. I love wrestling and like a good boxing match but mma just bores me. To me it’s a street fight with rules and street fights have zero rules.

This to me makes it extremely niche. Now I rented it to see Bo and Will in the future. Only when he’s in it. I value a high end steak multiple times over an over priced ppv.

Curious, how many medals does Nickel have from international competitions???

Again , it’s marketing . Honestly I have no desire to watch the UFC ever unless he’s in it. I think it’s stupid and boring. I love wrestling and like a good boxing match but mma just bores me. To me it’s a street fight with rules and street fights have zero rules.

This to me makes it extremely niche. Now I rented it to see Bo and Will in the future. Only when he’s in it. I value a high end steak multiple times over an over priced ppv.
To each his own. But to say MMA is a "street fight with rules" is pretty off the mark and disregards the level of athleticism, training, and more than anything, the high level of skill that's often happening in there, whether it's wrestling or BJJ or striking or muay thai or whatever. To equate it with a couple of drunken meatheads trying to ram each other's head into the concrete is just dumb IMO.

Reactions: el dub
Yeah he should just say he’ll try his best and hope he wins cuz that will create some buzz and excitement 🙄
Yeah, I’m not saying I can beat this guy, but with any luck, I’ll make it a good fight. Tune in. Please?

To each his own. But to say MMA is a "street fight with rules" is pretty off the mark and disregards the level of athleticism, training, and more than anything, the high level of skill that's often happening in there, whether it's wrestling or BJJ or striking or muay thai or whatever. To equate it with a couple of drunken meatheads trying to ram each other's head into the concrete is just dumb IMO.
So? To each his own, and I’m not equating it to two drunken brawlers. The origin of the ufc was a no holds barred fight but they faced pushback due to safety concerns.

So they added in various rules and now there are plenty of holds barred. I just don’t think it works and has limited appeal. Personalities like Bo draw in people who know him through wrestling but I don’t think it’ll matter much.

So? To each his own, and I’m not equating it to two drunken brawlers. The origin of the ufc was a no holds barred fight but they faced pushback due to safety concerns.

So they added in various rules and now there are plenty of holds barred. I just don’t think it works and has limited appeal. Personalities like Bo draw in people who know him through wrestling but I don’t think it’ll matter much.
When you say "street fight" you kind of are.

There's been a lot of changes since the early years (when it basically was just brawlers) beyond barring moves/holds, today these are elite athletes who are typically skilled in several forms of combat sports.

It's one of the most popular draws in the world and continues to expand globally as does its rise in viewership, I'm not sure what your "limited appeal" take is based on.

I'm not even a huge MMA/UFC guy. I'll pay for the occasional card if it interests me, but I pass on most. I'm much more of a boxing fan, always have been. But your takes are just wrong.

Reactions: el dub
When you say "street fight" you kind of are.

There's been a lot of changes since the early years (when it basically was just brawlers) beyond barring moves/holds, today these are elite athletes who are typically skilled in several forms of combat sports.

It's one of the most popular draws in the world and continues to expand globally as does its rise in viewership, I'm not sure what your "limited appeal" take is based on.

I'm not even a huge MMA/UFC guy. I'll pay for the occasional card if it interests me, but I pass on most. I'm much more of a boxing fan, always have been. But your takes are just wrong.
No I am not, first not all street fights are drunken brawls. It's far from the case. Of course alcohol causes problems. and can lead to fights. You're the one making that inference not me. The idea again was to bring various fighting styles to see who's the best all around fighter.

We already have Judo tournaments, BJJ, Gi or no Gi. There is karate, Tae Kwon do etc. etc etc. They all require skill and athleticism. So why does UFC get more views? It's not the discerning combat sports fan or practitioner. Nope, it the average joe who wants to see blood. Drama increases interest.

Go to a Facebook wrestling or MMA group and you will find more ratchet heads than the " good fan" type of guys. they're very emotional and get pretty silly.

Now my closer friends who have practiced say Martial arts or BJJ are often pretty smart and decent fellows. Like a college professor, outdoor survival teacher, cop and so on. My one cop friend is 28 for example, him and his buddies love UFC and have watch parties every month. He's the guy who helped my setup ESPN plus so I can watch Bo. And that's the only reason I rented it. However in the future I'm just waiting 24 or so hours to see the replay on Youtube. I don't think the product is worth $85.

Read the comments here, you'll get a migraine. It's like that saying, the best base for MMA/UFC is wrestling. You'll get a slew of folk saying things like this or that guy never wrestled.

The Onion nails it here:

No I am not, first not all street fights are drunken brawls. It's far from the case. Of course alcohol causes problems. and can lead to fights. You're the one making that inference not me. The idea again was to bring various fighting styles to see who's the best all around fighter.

We already have Judo tournaments, BJJ, Gi or no Gi. There is karate, Tae Kwon do etc. etc etc. They all require skill and athleticism. So why does UFC get more views? It's not the discerning combat sports fan or practitioner. Nope, it the average joe who wants to see blood. Drama increases interest.

Go to a Facebook wrestling or MMA group and you will find more ratchet heads than the " good fan" type of guys. they're very emotional and get pretty silly.

Now my closer friends who have practiced say Martial arts or BJJ are often pretty smart and decent fellows. Like a college professor, outdoor survival teacher, cop and so on. My one cop friend is 28 for example, him and his buddies love UFC and have watch parties every month. He's the guy who helped my setup ESPN plus so I can watch Bo. And that's the only reason I rented it. However in the future I'm just waiting 24 or so hours to see the replay on Youtube. I don't think the product is worth $85.
Now you're changing the conversation. I never said the people tuning into MMA/UFC are brain surgeons or purists, I never said they weren't "ratchet heads." I've never attended a live UFC event and never would because being surrounded by a bunch of drunken idiots in Smedium "Affliction" tshirts would be hell on earth IMO.

What I'm saying is that most MMA fighters at the top level are highly-trained athletes with elite skill sets. Most "street fighters" aren't. It's among the most popular sports in the world with engagement and viewership continuing to explode globally, to me that doesn't scream "limited appeal." I agree that fans want to see blood and drama, but they also want to see how different guys who specialize in different areas of combat sports stack up against each other, which they wouldn't get at a judo tournament.

This isn’t promoting or standard trash talk. JB is under their skin over there. Bo and DT just suck at it only because they seem like they laugh at their own jokes. JB absolutely destroyed DT on Twitter to paraphrase a response to DT challenging him to come up to 86kg: “Maybe they should call me the Magic Man; I made you disappear from 74kg.”

Star is a lot like Gilman…has some grit behind the talk.
Oh man. I remember that tweet. ICONIC. I love JB

Now you're changing the conversation. I never said the people tuning into MMA/UFC are brain surgeons or purists, I never said they weren't "ratchet heads." I've never attended a live UFC event and never would because being surrounded by a bunch of drunken idiots in Smedium "Affliction" tshirts would be hell on earth IMO.

What I'm saying is that most MMA fighters at the top level are highly-trained athletes with elite skill sets. Most "street fighters" aren't. It's among the most popular sports in the world with engagement and viewership continuing to explode globally, to me that doesn't scream "limited appeal." I agree that fans want to see blood and drama, but they also want to see how different guys who specialize in different areas of combat sports stack up against each other, which they wouldn't get at a judo tournament.
Ok, how do you know that first? I know some pretty well trained guys who weren't walking the straight and narrow as younger men. They are not all undisciplined brawlers.

You're giving too many fans credit for seeing it how you see it and while it may have expanded in overall viewership, it's still a niche sport and will remain that way. On the positive side, if you're a fan of say NCAA wrestling you have many more options now to catch up and keep up with your sporting interests. With streaming, PPV, and an expansion of media people can view almost anything they chose these days.

But with that comes the opinion that it might be much more popular than it is. Anyone can find whatever these days.

Ok, how do you know that first? I know some pretty well trained guys who weren't walking the straight and narrow as younger men. They are not all undisciplined brawlers.

You're giving too many fans credit for seeing it how you see it and while it may have expanded in overall viewership, it's still a niche sport and will remain that way. On the positive side, if you're a fan of say NCAA wrestling you have many more options now to catch up and keep up with your sporting interests. With streaming, PPV, and an expansion of media people can view almost anything they chose these days.

But with that comes the opinion that it might be much more popular than it is. Anyone can find whatever these days.
If you seriously think that a majority of guys getting into street fights are highly-trained, well conditioned, and skilled at the level of MMA fighters, let's just say we disagree. Pretty sure MMA guys and boxers who have fought professionally intentionally avoid situations like that because they could be susceptible to much more serious charges if they were to hurt someone.

I don't disagree that it could be considered a niche sport, but UFC 300 had >1 million PPV buys, with each/most of those buys likely being watched by a house full of fans like your buddies. Those aren't small numbers.

If you seriously think that a majority of guys getting into street fights are highly-trained, well conditioned, and skilled at the level of MMA fighters, let's just say we disagree. Pretty sure MMA guys and boxers who have fought professionally intentionally avoid situations like that because they could be susceptible to much more serious charges if they were to hurt someone.

You’d be surprised. I remember talking to Don Frye at a wrestling tourney and he said it got to the point that he couldn’t go out to a bar w/o some drunk dude wanting to fight him. Imagine the amount of booze it took to get to that point.

You’d be surprised. I remember talking to Don Frye at a wrestling tourney and he said it got to the point that he couldn’t go out to a bar w/o some drunk dude wanting to fight him. Imagine the amount of booze it took to get to that point.

BJ Penn got knocked out in a drunk street feet a few years ago. Here's the video link.

I don't doubt it. Hopefully he got to knock at least one of them out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT