ADVERTISEMENT

Bout tired of the rain

This has been a pretty crazy spring for sure. I can’t remember any period of living here with this much sustained rain. Also, throw in the 1-2 weeks of smoke from the Canadian wildfires and this spring has been a bust… the amount of green is awesome though. We did a hike around green mtn in Lakewood and saw a ton of wildflowers.

Last edited:
Freaking rained for about 5 minutes this morning. Still nothing measurable in June.

I was watering some new grass patches, and I just stood out there and got a little damp.

Iowa is under severe Drought.
It’s getting critical. The corn was doing well with all the rain we got in May, but it’s really slowed. The soybean fields look terrible.

Supposedly got a half inch coming this weekend, but we need a lot more than that.

It’s getting critical. The corn was doing well with all the rain we got in May, but it’s really slowed. The soybean fields look terrible.

Supposedly got a half inch coming this weekend, but we need a lot more than that.
Yep chance Saturday into Sunday and then nothing next week again. Not sustainable.

FINALLY got some decent rain in NE Iowa. First substantial amount since before Memorial Day.

Around 2”.

Yep, was at Guttenberg and we got 2.1". At one point that afternoon, after the preliminary rains all either skirted around us - or dried up as the overnight/morning line ran out of steam - I swear I thought we weren't going to get a single drop out of the entire system.

Then around 6pm, the northern line began filling in to the south - and my gawd once it hit it hit hard for almost 2 straight hours. Hadn't seen a downpour like that all year, in CR or up at the river.

When I got there Friday, I tried to remember the last time the area looked as brown as it did. My lawn was almost 100% dormant. And on the drive up, the crops looked like they were just about to go under.

Coming home this morning...let's just say things had a much greener look to them the entire way. What was funny was, there was no standing water anywhere...it was like the soil sponged up every drop.

We need more or these, badly. There's multiple chances of some more rain almost all week...let's hope we get it.

Yep, was at Guttenberg and we got 2.1". At one point that afternoon, after the preliminary rains all either skirted around us - or dried up as the overnight/morning line ran out of steam - I swear I thought we weren't going to get a single drop out of the entire system.

Then around 6pm, the northern line began filling in to the south - and my gawd once it hit it hit hard for almost 2 straight hours. Hadn't seen a downpour like that all year, in CR or up at the river.

When I got there Friday, I tried to remember the last time the area looked as brown as it did. My lawn was almost 100% dormant. And on the drive up, the crops looked like they were just about to go under.

Coming home this morning...let's just say things had a much greener look to them the entire way. What was funny was, there was no standing water anywhere...it was like the soil sponged up every drop.

We need more or these, badly. There's multiple chances of some more rain almost all week...let's hope we get it.
It gets brown like this in August, when the heat adds up over the summer and dries everything up. The crops are fully formed, so it doesn’t hurt them much. Then the seasons change a little, which usually brings rain.

I’ve never seen anything like this in June.

I’ve never seen anything like this in June.

Yep. That's why this drought is so strange (bad). Even in dry years, you get at least something reasonably normal in spring.

My cabin is on the Mississippi. The Mississippi had roughly the 3rd highest crest in late April this year. Pretty friggin' high water, all because of the winter snows up north we top 10 all time high. Usually, that means if May and June are "normal", the Mississippi here is probably going to stay somewhat high (meaning, many beaches will still be barely out of the water) until July 4th. Call it 5-7 feet higher than normal.

The old adage is quick to rise, slow to fall when it comes to spring flooding up there. And in some years in the 2010's, it never did come down to normal flows at any point in the year. The river right now is at August/September levels. It dropped 15 feet in 8 weeks.

You pretty much have to have no rain at all to do that. That means not only is eastern Iowa dry, but even Wisconsin and Minnesota are too! Three whole months. It pretty much hasn't "normal rained" for 3 whole months. And for us in eastern Iowa, we have had two fairly dry years prior already, and last winter was lame as hell for snow.

We need rain. Badly. Not all at once, but a steady 1-2 inches per week - for a couple months in a row here. And that's just to get somewhat caught up.

Wow. Surprise massive thunderstorm at midnight in NE Iowa. Was not expecting this a all. It’s been raining sheets for 40 min. We need it.

They said it would be “hit and miss”. It’s hitting us hard right now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT