ADVERTISEMENT

Brands to compete at Western Regional

I think McDonough went the same route.
That was a different time. Now it is like entering a JV tournament. To me it shows a lot what level Brands is currently at. He obviously has a long way to go before he’s going to make any noise on the college level. Nice developmental project for the coaches.

That was a different time. Now it is like entering a JV tournament. To me it shows a lot what level Brands is currently at. He obviously has a long way to go before he’s going to make any noise on the college level. Nice developmental project for the coaches.
Just like TnT....gonna be fun to watch!

Thought he might do UWW Juniors instead. Seems kind of weird for him to be doing the Western Regional.
I don't get it. Wanna wrestle a regional, go to Northern Plains or Central Plains. Unless a particular hammer is in his weight (I didn't check) those 2 regionals will have tougher competition top to bottom. NP will have IL/MN guys and CP will have PA/OH. MI/IN kids will probably be at both.

Reactions: vhsalum
If he plans on going to Fargo and misses his state meet (many kids do) kids can still qualify for Fargo via regional placement. Many kids do this as events fall on prom weekends etc and some kids get hurt or whatever. That’s one reason I always like Southern Plains regional because it seems there is always a lot of guys from out of region headed there to qualify for Fargo.

Maybe 10/15 years ago Western Regionals was like mini national event in some weights as was the SE Regionals when it was held in Fla in conjunction with the open in the late 90s.

Whatever bracket he goes I’ll be rooting for him.

Reactions: el dub
Don’t care at all about the worlds/olympics?
Not in the same stratosphere as my love for Iowa Wrestling, High School, etc.

I want the U.S.A. to do well in all Olympic sports. When I think of Dan Gable, Tom Brands, etc., I think of Waterloo West and Iowa State, I think of Sheldon and Iowa, and then about any international success.

To each his own, but that's the order of things for me, and in this particular case I am far more concerned about Nelson Brands and what he may be able to accomplish as a Folkstyle Wrestler at The University of Iowa. Anything beyond that is secondary to me.

Just like TnT....gonna be fun to watch!

My first thought.

Didn’t Tarp write something about the Brands brothers being a little bit raw when they first came in, but they started picking up steam pretty quickly after a couple months in the room? I don’t remember what exactly it was, but Nelson will probably be the same way.

Nelson is an artist already when it comes to setups and snaps. The EIWC guys are geniuses in terms of teaching guys how to initiate a variety set-ups, snaps and creating angles simultaneously and effectively.

Reactions: Dagboi and el dub

I want the U.S.A. to do well in all Olympic sports. When I think of Dan Gable, Tom Brands, etc., I think of Waterloo West and Iowa State, I think of Sheldon and Iowa, and then about any international success.

To each his own, but that's the order of things for me, and in this particular case I am far more concerned about Nelson Brands and what he may be able to accomplish as a Folkstyle Wrestler at The University of Iowa. Anything beyond that is secondary to me.
That’s great. Nothing wrong with you favoring folkstyle over freestyle.

But, you should acknowledge that the guys that are successful in college are thinking about winning world and Olympic titles. They are trying to make world teams and compete against the best in the world.

I’d be less concerned if Nelson didn’t wrestle at all. But for one of Iowa’s top recruits to enter choose a JV tournament over the varsity one that occurs at basically the same time and place is really weird.

Iowa City West kids under Rieland usually take first couple months off after state tourney. He may just be getting back into shape, plus having a couple pretty good coaches to go with doesn't hurt. It's also a great opportunity for scouting opponents you may not see often.

I don't get it. Wanna wrestle a regional, go to Northern Plains or Central Plains. Unless a particular hammer is in his weight (I didn't check) those 2 regionals will have tougher competition top to bottom. NP will have IL/MN guys and CP will have PA/OH. MI/IN kids will probably be at both.

Same thought. It just doesn't make sense for a recruit at his level. I'm not saying he's top 5, top 10, top 50, but he's in the top 100 and to be in the same location as fellow-leveled participants and NOT compete with them? Yeah. That's a strange admission to make.

Western Regionals is BAAAAAAAAAD.

But, you should acknowledge that the guys that are successful in college are thinking about winning world and Olympic titles. They are trying to make world teams and compete against the best in the world.

I’d be less concerned if Nelson didn’t wrestle at all. But for one of Iowa’s top recruits to enter choose a JV tournament over the varsity one that occurs at basically the same time and place is really weird.
I don't find it weird I guess, but maybe it is. There are plenty of able bodied college wrestlers that don't have Olympic glory in mind when they go to college.

He's not sitting at home playing video games, so that's good enough for me.

Nothing against Nelson but if he's our best option at either 57 or 65 either of the next 2 years we might have a problem. With Kemdog and The bull in there nelson has plenty of time to improve and grow into a college stud.

Nelson Brands is going to be just fine after his redshirt season. They will have him ready. I’m not even worried about anything with him...he will be fine.
problem with that is when he gets off of RS he will be behind the 157 favorite to win the title in Kemerer. The following year he will probably out grow 157 and be behind Bull at who also will be a favorite to win a title his senior yr at 165

When I think Brands I think Iowa first but when I think Gable I think Olympics for some reason. And almost no one outside the US
I don't find it weird I guess, but maybe it is. There are plenty of able bodied college wrestlers that don't have Olympic glory in mind when they go to college.

Yes, but you’d be hard pressed to find many NCAA finalists that aren’t trying to make age-level World teams. And if you’re not recruiting guys with those aspirations you’re going nowhere.

Reactions: Pennstate1985
problem with that is when he gets off of RS he will be behind the 157 favorite to win the title in Kemerer. The following year he will probably out grow 157 and be behind Bull at who also will be a favorite to win a title his senior yr at 165

Didn’t say anything about varsity...just said he will be fine and ready to go. And he will be.

I’ve heard 152 was a pain in the butt for him as a Junior, but does anyone know how 160 was for him this year? Did he make it easily? Could he have made 157 easily? With an exception of bulking up even more, I assume he’s done growing...I think he’s on the older side for the Senior class. Like, turned 19 in January or February, I believe.

I'd be willing to bet that Kemerer won't be at 157 as a senior. My guess is that he moves up this coming year, but he for sure won't be at 57 for 2 more years.

I get what you are are saying. But I have a feeling :) that Nelson, his father or his uncle would have thought these scenarios through long before we even realized Bull was coming to Iowa. Either he is okay waiting for Bull to be done, or he is to going to wrestle 57 and then 65 after Bull graduates.

The fact is, Neslon is a kid that has but a small percentage of wrestling experience vs his incoming fellow freshmen classmates and he has grown as a wrestler at a scary rate the past four years. I'm not saying that pace of improvement will continue all five years in the Iowa room, but he still has a lot of room for growth. Which IMO will prove scary for a lot of his competitors.

GO HAWKS!!

How is it possible you know what he will weigh 2.5 years from now?

I'd be willing to bet that Kemerer won't be at 157 as a senior. My guess is that he moves up this coming year, but he for sure won't be at 57 for 2 more years.

I have wondered the same. Lots of discussion that his cut to 157 has gotten pretty tough.

Reactions: el dub
Four years ago if you told me he was a Brands I wouldn't have believed you. He's come a long way FAST. Who cares where he's wrestling? It's not like he's going to have a spot anytime soon or a top P4P guy, but he's all in now and has great coaches. I don't know if he'll ever have the technique to go with that horsepower to be a great wrestler, but he's on the right path and working hard. He's brawler for sure.

The amount of people getting upset over Nelson wrestling in this tournament is pretty ridiculous.

I’m not sure anyone’s really upset. And the biggest complainer in the thread isn’t even a hawk fan, so there’s that.....

It’s a qualifier for Fargo, right? Also, I don’t think Nelson is at that UWW junior level yet. He didn’t wrestle Fargo last year due to injury or just taking a break. I am going to go with his Uncle and Dad on this.

To answer maybe Papabear’s question, his Dad and anybody who coaches him will be in Vegas, why not go there?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT