ADVERTISEMENT

Brian Ferentz:”I’m not an expert on the Quarterback position”

Having Bri guy as the OC and QB coach is a big deal unless you are happy with the results he has put out in the field 🤔
I mean the comment about not being an expert isn’t a big deal. Trust me, I think our offense and the way KF approaches it absolutely blows. But it is what it is, no amount of discourse will change what KF ultimately does with his team.

People. Cmon. Barta was a QB and he is a QB expert. Obvious Brian will be spending more time with Gary.

Honestly, even though I still disagree with the move, this quote significantly raises my level of respect for Brian.
Really? That's like me admitting I'm not qualified to cure cancer. Admitting the obvious doesn't do anything to move the needle in BF's favor as far as I'm concerned.

Chuck Long, somebody who is qualified to discuss the QB position, was pretty blunt in his remarks concerning giving the clueless BF the title of QB coach. Chuck wasn't impressed. Not at all. And neither am I.

But if KF really, really believes this will work, well, hey, let's give the offensive genius the benefit of the doubt, right? LOL

I am on the fence about Brian, both overall and as QB coach. I think skepticism is warranted, but I also think none of US know a thing about QB play, really.

So, the "success" of this move will be judged on the success of the offense, not the improvement of the QBs. And the offense is likely to improve, because the OL, TE and WR will probably be better and RB will be more consistent (if less explosive).

As to the QB play itself, I do wonder if part of the thinking moving BF there is to simplify the role of the QB. BF might not know how to teach a PhD class in QB play, but maybe KoK trying to teach college QBs at that level was part of the problem? IDK.
I do know that any coach that has had great success with an offense. Was either a QB at one time or the OC was a QB at one time

I am on the fence about Brian, both overall and as QB coach. I think skepticism is warranted, but I also think none of US know a thing about QB play, really.

So, the "success" of this move will be judged on the success of the offense, not the improvement of the QBs. And the offense is likely to improve, because the OL, TE and WR will probably be better and RB will be more consistent (if less explosive).

As to the QB play itself, I do wonder if part of the thinking moving BF there is to simplify the role of the QB. BF might not know how to teach a PhD class in QB play, but maybe KoK trying to teach college QBs at that level was part of the problem? IDK.
I would call KOK a friendly professor type. I have heard him speak in person before. Good natured dude. Bet he has never sworn and definitely never ripped into a kid for bad on field performance.

525590_1.jpg

Really? That's like me admitting I'm not qualified to cure cancer. Admitting the obvious doesn't do anything to move the needle in BF's favor as far as I'm concerned.

Chuck Long, somebody who is qualified to discuss the QB position, was pretty blunt in his remarks concerning giving the clueless BF the title of QB coach. Chuck wasn't impressed. Not at all. And neither am I.

But if KF really, really believes this will work, well, hey, let's give the offensive genius the benefit of the doubt, right? LOL
My elevated respect for Brian has nothing to do with my feelings on Kirk putting him in that role. Frankly, I think it’s fugging ridiculous. But Kirk never consulted me on what I thought of the prospect of Brian coaching the QBs, so my opinion isn’t changing anything.

At the very least, it seems almost impossible for quarterback play to get any worse, so perhaps Kirk—knowing KOK would be stepping away after the 2021 season—was okay with Petras sucking so when Brian took over coaching quarterbacks there was only one direction to go. Lol.

All kidding aside, we can only hope Brian picked up a few things in his time with the Patriots watching Tom Brady. We can hope, right? 😁

Brian Ferentz: "I’m not an expert on the quarterback position." "But it looks good on my resume."

It was odd when he was named offensive coordinator, especially when there were a couple former offensive coordinators on the staff (Ken and Tim). I think there was a LOT of learning on the job. Was this best for the program?

Now Brian is the QB coach but Ken, the former QB coach, is still around to help AND they brought in another FORMER QB coach to help out. So, here we go again; Brian will be doing a LOT of learning on the job. Is this best for the program?

Reactions: CarterHall
The most important part of this job is playing the right qb that can create plays that break down. We haven't had a QB like that for a very very long time. If you have a qb like that then always a threat to pickup a first down. Why we have gone to statues in the QB position is so so baffling and frustrating. Give me a mobile QB that can scramble any day over a tall, strong arm slow qb.

3 words.

Joey Frickin Labas.

Combining the OC/QB coaching positions makes very good sense.

I think it's becoming kind of the norm for college QBs to train with off staff "consultants" for their technical improvement. The QB coaches first responsibility is to prepare the QB to implement the game plan, and where plays and decisions fit within the larger long term offensive premises of the offense. The OC is the person with the most knowledge of the game plan, the QBs intended reads and where everything fits in the larger picture of the game plan. So, the merger of the positions makes sense and seems progressive.

Spencer already has great mechanics. The question is Spencer's ability to maintain composure when there's pressure. The coaches have shown they will stick with him regardless of his play so Spencer's panic should not arise from the need to peek over his shoulder for his job. Maybe a coach can fix that panic problem but it seems far into Spencer's career to learn pocket composure. Maybe creating a more seamless explanation and instruction will help Spencer learn.

But I still think changing coaches bespeaks a willingness to change QBs. Hope so because everything we've seen says Spencer is a weak starter and Alex is even weaker.​

You didn’t fix anything dumbass.
KC gets personal Bwahaha! Ouch. You have not supported the KF regime since it began. So for 25 years you bitch…..and bitch…..and in case no one knows you bitch again. After 25 years Like it or not Ferentz ball is Iowa Football. You are not a fan. See? Easy to post without name calling. Or maybe be creative and do the George Carlin - throw words at me that sound like they should be nasty but really aren’t!

Here I was excited the maybe BF was moving to QB coach and we were hiring a new up and coming OC.

Nope, he'll do both jobs and announce that he's going to learn on the job at QB coach, just like OC

Reactions: iahawkeyes17
KC gets personal Bwahaha! Ouch. You have not supported the KF regime since it began. So for 25 years you bitch…..and bitch…..and in case no one knows you bitch again. After 25 years Like it or not Ferentz ball is Iowa Football. You are not a fan. See? Easy to post without name calling. Or maybe be creative and do the George Carlin - throw words at me that sound like they should be nasty but really aren’t!
You are so wrong it’s pathetic. I like Kirk,but have not been a Brian fan from the beginning. What is so hard for you to understand?

Reactions: IAHUNTER
You are so wrong it’s pathetic. I like Kirk,but have not been a Brian fan from the beginning. What is so hard for you to understand?
well.. if you are not a fan of Brian Ferentz, you are not a fan of Iowa football.
its not complicated.

Making Brian QB coach is disappointing. I have no reason…at this point…to believe that Iowa’s terrible offense won’t be any better and will likely get worse.

When Ferentz hired Polasek I was elated. A proven successful OC! And then Kirk had him coaching the offensive line, something Polasek had never done before. And names Brian OC….a position he had never coached before. Now Brian is also QB coach….a position he knows nothing about.

Kirk has stated in the past he likes to get his coaches out of their comfort zone. But it make zero sense to me to have guys coaching positions they know little to nothing about. QB is the most important position on the field. Our starter is….not good. How is he going to be helped by a coach who knows little about the QB position?

I respect the success Kirk has had. Iowa’s offense is pathetic, yet it does not appear he is making any legitimate attempt to improve it. The Hawks have won a lot of games the past few years….how many more would they have won with even an average offense/QB?

Making Brian QB coach is disappointing. I have no reason…at this point…to believe that Iowa’s terrible offense won’t be any better and will likely get worse.

When Ferentz hired Polasek I was elated. A proven successful OC! And then Kirk had him coaching the offensive line, something Polasek had never done before. And names Brian OC….a position he had never coached before. Now Brian is also QB coach….a position he knows nothing about.

Kirk has stated in the past he likes to get his coaches out of their comfort zone. But it make zero sense to me to have guys coaching positions they know little to nothing about. QB is the most important position on the field. Our starter is….not good. How is he going to be helped by a coach who knows little about the QB position?

I respect the success Kirk has had. Iowa’s offense is pathetic, yet it does not appear he is making any legitimate attempt to improve it. The Hawks have won a lot of games the past few years….how many more would they have won with even an average offense/QB?
well... Iowa won 6 games in 2020 with the 2nd best offense in the Big Ten
and won 10 games in 2021 with what you label as a below average offense.

perhaps you don't know football as well as Coach Kirk Ferentz?

Reactions: RLMHAWK
well.. if you are not a fan of Brian Ferentz, you are not a fan of Iowa football.
its not complicated.
I’m not a fan of Brian as OC, thought he was a good OL coach. I know plenty of friends who are Iowa fans that feel the same. Just because we are fans of Iowa football doesn’t mean we have to like every coach or thing about the program.

Just because some people don’t wear black and gold blinders on everything doesn’t make them less of a fan. I know one who donates a nice chunk of $ to athletics with premium seats at kinnick, been to every bowl game and multiple road games last decade plus and doesn’t care for Brian as the OC but been diehard fan for years. So is he not a fan of Iowa football?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT