ADVERTISEMENT

Brian Ferentz:”I’m not an expert on the Quarterback position”

well... Iowa won 6 games in 2020 with the 2nd best offense in the Big Ten
and won 10 games in 2021 with what you label as a below average offense.

perhaps you don't know football as well as Coach Kirk Ferentz?
Just stop with this nonsense. Just because you think everything is fine and dandy and there is nothing that can be improved on, doesn’t mean its true.

Your reading comprehension is poor because you apparently missed the part where I said Kirk has won a lot of games the past few years, and how many more he could have won with even an average offense.

No, I don’t know as much about football as Kirk and never claimed to. But hiring a proven successful OC and having him coach a position he has never coached before, making your inexperienced son the OC, then having that same son also coach a position he admittedly knows little about……invites fair and legitimate concern.

well... Iowa won 6 games in 2020 with the 2nd best offense in the Big Ten
and won 10 games in 2021 with what you label as a below average offense.

perhaps you don't know football as well as Coach Kirk Ferentz?
Besides the messed up Covid year Iowa’s offense has been sub par to put it nicely under Brian with the previous 3 and last season. And yes Iowa won 10 games last year with a below avg offense, which again is putting it nicely, but had an excellent defense and special teams that played a far bigger role in getting to 10 wins and winning the West.

Last edited:
I’m not a fan of Brian as OC, thought he was a good OL coach. I know plenty of friends who are Iowa fans that feel the same. Just because we are fans of Iowa football doesn’t mean we have to like every coach or thing about the program.

Just because some people don’t wear black and gold blinders on everything doesn’t make them less of a fan. I know one who donates a nice chunk of $ to athletics with premium seats at kinnick, been to every bowl game and multiple road games last decade plus and doesn’t care for Brian as the OC but been diehard fan for years. So is he not a fan of Iowa football?
no

Just because some people don’t wear black and gold blinders on everything doesn’t make them less of a fan.

Yes, it does. It's not the preference for a better offense that's the problem. The constant, repetitive, endless stream of criticism that tells the whole truth. There are thousands of posts and dozens of threads devoted to just bitching about the offense. Sometimes it's stupid snark.

But if all you (the generic "you"} want to talk about is what you dislike about Iowa and attack the coaches you're really not much of a fan. Maybe an addict-God knows my entire schedule is built to keep me free during Hawk games so I'm a fan and an addict-but not a fan.

thats right.... its the time of year when real fans are optimistic... hopeful, and excited, about the possibilities of the upcoming season.

so if you are someone who is still bitching about the offense in this offseason, you are insufferable... and when the season does finally come... its only going to get worse.

think about this... not liking one of the players or coaches on the team you root for is like not liking one of your own children.

being a fan does mean you wear black and gold glasses.
just like a parent sees the game through the lens of his or her child.. so also a fan through the lens of his or her team.

the only good I can see coming from the vocal minority is when the season does come, and the Hawkeyes do win... it makes it that much sweeter for those of us who stick by the side of the team through thick and thin... through the good times .. and through the bad times.

I'm super excited that Brian Ferentz is coaching the quarterbacks and running the offense...
you gotta figure Iowa played a lot of Freshman on the O-line last year.. and this coming season, even with a lot of young fellas on the O-line... they got a chance to be really good.

and of course, with a really good O-line... the offense is going to control the game...
and thats how Iowa wins games.

Kirk is often quoted as saying "thats football"
but the way Iowa runs its offense... "thats smart football"

looking forward to another run at the West Division title and a shot at the Big Ten Championship.
Ok Mary.

Anybody that gives anybody else crap for ripping on BF can just go cram it.

the-goon-dodgeball.gif

I find the full quote a little more illuminating than the twitter blurb:

“The first thing I need to do is admit that I’m not an expert on the quarterback position. I better go seek out some expertise and learn from it,” he said. “And then it’s like any other position. One of the things that makes you a good line coach or a good tight ends coach, you have to start by listening to the players. Too many coaches want to dictate."

I'm still a skeptic but whatever...
Who did he seek help fromnon the offense? If that is amy indication, the qb play will be 100-123 on the country.

Wow you are an idiot. By the way super fan how many games do you attend home, road or bowl games and how many season tix do you have? How much do you donate to the program? But I love it when nitwits like yourself stand on your soap box and lecture everyone else on who the "true" fans are.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: IowaChicksFellateMe
Yes, it does. It's not the preference for a better offense that's the problem. The constant, repetitive, endless stream of criticism that tells the whole truth. There are thousands of posts and dozens of threads devoted to just bitching about the offense. Sometimes it's stupid snark.

But if all you (the generic "you"} want to talk about is what you dislike about Iowa and attack the coaches you're really not much of a fan. Maybe an addict-God knows my entire schedule is built to keep me free during Hawk games so I'm a fan and an addict-but not a fan.
God forbid an Iowa fan doesn't like every little thing about Iowa football. I hated coach Kaz when he was around. So I guess I wasn't a true black and gold fan. But then again after he left everyone talked about how he was a giant a hole and good riddance to him including many of the players. But I guess I was still less than a loyal fan because I didn't like him even though I was right. Or how about all those Iowa bball fans who sat through 3 years of Lickliter. Guess those non loyal fans who questioned his awful style of play and recruiting were not true Iowa fans because they wanted him fired. God forbid we criticize anything ever related to Iowa sports on an Iowa message board of all places. How dare we....

• Wow
Reactions: IowaChicksFellateMe

So, you were ok with Lickliter?

Reactions: iahawkeyes17
thats right.... its the time of year when real fans are optimistic... hopeful, and excited, about the possibilities of the upcoming season.

so if you are someone who is still bitching about the offense in this offseason, you are insufferable... and when the season does finally come... its only going to get worse.

think about this... not liking one of the players or coaches on the team you root for is like not liking one of your own children.

just like a parent sees the game through the lens of his or her child.. so also a fan through the lens of his or her team.

the only good I can see coming from the vocal minority is when the season does come, and the Hawkeyes do win... it makes it that much sweeter for those of us who stick by the side of the team through thick and thin... through the good times .. and through the bad times.
So, you were ok with Lickliter?

Reactions: iahawkeyes17

think about this... not liking one of the players or coaches on the team you root for is like not liking one of your own children

This is such a bad analogy. For instance. Friend is a big Browns fan. He hates the signing of Watson and same with Kareem Hunt few years ago because they are garbage human beings for what they've done. He will cheer for the Browns but can't stand these players. Or a co worker big OU fan. Never liked Joe Mixon because he knocked out a 18 yr old girl. So no, comparing my liking of my children to coaches and players of a college athletics team are no where in the same ball park.

It was odd when he was named offensive coordinator, especially when there were a couple former offensive coordinators on the staff (Ken and Tim). I think there was a LOT of learning on the job. Was this best for the program?

Now Brian is the QB coach but Ken, the former QB coach, is still around to help AND they brought in another FORMER QB coach to help out. So, here we go again; Brian will be doing a LOT of learning on the job. Is this best for the program?
It was never odd when he was named the OC. He had one of the better resumes in the country at the time and He had played for and coached under the head coach he was going to OC for and had worked with and had been continually been promoted by the Greatest NFL Head Coach of all time, including overseeing a record breaking unit. He had also overseen the running game at Iowa in a year where we had 2 1,000 yard backs. If his last name were not Ferentz his being named OC would have been praised much more so

Reactions: F5n5
It was never odd when he was named the OC. He had one of the better resumes in the country at the time and He had played for and coached under the head coach he was going to OC for and had worked with and had been continually been promoted by the Greatest NFL Head Coach of all time, including overseeing a record breaking unit. He had also overseen the running game at Iowa in a year where we had 2 1,000 yard backs. If his last name were not Ferentz his being named OC would have been praised much more so
Well, I disagree he had one of the better resumes. If his last name weren’t Ferentz, he wouldn’t sniff the OC position at a Big 10 school.

Well, I disagree he had one of the better resumes. If his last name weren’t Ferentz, he wouldn’t sniff the OC position at a Big 10 school.
LOL you have a bad case of BDS (Brian Derangement Syndrome) Listen I think he should have moved on as he has certainly failed as OC. With that said are you really going to pretend that he wasn't overseeing the running game when we had two thousand yard backs or the fact that he was the TE coach when NE destroyed the record for receiving yards by the position in a single season? Are you going to overlook the fact that he played for the head coach so he should have had then benefit of understanding what we wanted done.

LOL you have a bad case of BDS (Brian Derangement Syndrome) Listen I think he should have moved on as he has certainly failed as OC. With that said are you really going to pretend that he wasn't overseeing the running game when we had two thousand yard backs or the fact that he was the TE coach when NE destroyed the record for receiving yards by the position in a single season? Are you going to overlook the fact that he played for the head coach so he should have had then benefit of understanding what we wanted done.
I was against Brian being hired as OC from the beginning, and he has done nothing to change my mind.
1. Doing a good job as running back coach doesn’t make you qualified to be offensive coordinator.
2. Coaching TE’s at New England doesn’t make you qualified to be OC at a Big 10 school, even if “records were set” one season (And how much credit goes to Brian vs. Belichick? Heck, it isn’t that hard to succeed when your TE is Gronkowski in his prime, and Brady is the QB.).
3. Being a former Hawkeye player doesn’t make you qualified to be offensive coordinator.

Brian got the job because he is Kirk’s son. Period.

I was against Brian being hired as OC from the beginning, and he has done nothing to change my mind.
1. Doing a good job as running back coach doesn’t make you qualified to be offensive coordinator.
2. Coaching TE’s at New England doesn’t make you qualified to be OC at a Big 10 school, even if “records were set” one season (And how much credit goes to Brian vs. Belichick? Heck, it isn’t that hard to succeed when your TE is Gronkowski in his prime, and Brady is the QB.).
3. Being a former Hawkeye player doesn’t make you qualified to be offensive coordinator.

LMAO so what makes an OC qualified? I mean you have to be a first time OC at some point. You're argument is silly. If you want to say he shouldn't have gotten the job because it creates a conflict of interest fine but to say he wasnt qualified is dumb. I'm sorry but if being all of those three things that you said doesn't make you qualified individually, when combined certainly should make you qualified. BTW Brian was much more "qualified" and had much better "credentials" than Jim Leonhard. Obviously I'm not arguing that Brian is better than Jim.

Last edited:

Do you think BB keeps people on if they suck? You know the answer. Kirk has no dirt on BB. no debts.

what BB loves about Kirk is they are both old school fundamentals. As was Brady if you read anything about his work ethic. He practices to perfection. Much like Dan Gable if you read his book also. Most people will not work and practice like that to be the absolute best.

LMAO so what makes an OC qualified? I mean you have to be a first time OC at some point. You're argument is silly. If you want to say he shouldn't have gotten the job because it creates a conflict of interest fine but to say he wasnt qualified is dumb. I'm sorry but if being all of those three things that you said doesn't make you qualified individually, when combined certainly should make you qualified. BTW Brian was much more "qualified" and had much better "credentials" than Jim Leonhard. Obviously I'm not arguing that Brian is better than Jim.
I think to be an OC at a major university such as Iowa, you should first have experience as an OC at a lower level. But that is my opinion. You disagree. That’s your opinion.

I didn’t think Brian’s prior experiences were enough to qualify him as an OC at a major university. Again….that is my personal opinion.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
I think to be an OC at a major university such as Iowa, you should first have experience as an OC at a lower level. But that is my opinion. You disagree. That’s your opinion.

I didn’t think Brian’s prior experiences were enough to qualify him as an OC at a major university. Again….that is my personal opinion.
In my opinion being in the NFL with the Greatest Coach in history and the greatest QB in history and being a major success at every previous role is way more impressive than being an OC at Sisters of the Poor State. Again I point to Jim Leonhard and ask what were his credentials to be DC?

In my opinion being in the NFL with the Greatest Coach in history and the greatest QB in history and being a major success at every previous role is way more impressive than being an OC at Sisters of the Poor State. Again I point to Jim Leonhard and ask what were his credentials to be DC?
Again…..it isn’t hard to succeed when the coach is Belichick (who ran the show…don’t kid yourself) and Brady. And doing well at a couple of jobs don’t mean you are qualified to be the department head. Brian should not have been hired as OC and only got the job because his last name is Ferentz.

Not sure why you keep bringing up Jim Leonhard. Has nothing to do with Brian.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
Im pretty sure you meant it isn't hard to succeed with Brady and Belichick while maybe true it's only true to the extent that they would have you out of town if you weren't doing the job. Not only was Brian keeping jobs he was getting promoted. Doing jobs is what actually gets qualified to do much bigger jobs. I keep bringing Jim Leonhard because he accomplished significantly less in coach before he was hired as a coordinator and became one of the best coordinators in the league so it spits in the face if your ridiculous idea that you need to be an coordinator before you become a coordinator. Yes Brian sucks at being a coordinator has everything to do with him being a bad OC not because he hadn't done it before because at this point he has done it and hasn't gotten better.

Im pretty sure you meant it isn't hard to succeed with Brady and Belichick while maybe true it's only true to the extent that they would have you out of town if you weren't doing the job. Not only was Brian keeping jobs he was getting promoted. Doing jobs is what actually gets qualified to do much bigger jobs. I keep bringing Jim Leonhard because he accomplished significantly less in coach before he was hired as a coordinator and became one of the best coordinators in the league so it spits in the face if your ridiculous idea that you need to be an coordinator before you become a coordinator. Yes Brian sucks at being a coordinator has everything to do with him being a bad OC not because he hadn't done it before because at this point he has done it and hasn't gotten better.
Sure, there are some who succeed as a coordinator despite never having been one before. Now do the ones who DIDN’T. You can’t cherry pick. You admit Brian is a failure. That only reinforces my OPINION that he wasn’t qualified for the job.

My OPINION is that I would like to see the OC at Iowa have experience as a successful OC somewhere else first……either at a lower level, or a lesser P5 school. I would prefer that person not “learn on the job” at Iowa. I realize Davis was experienced (and bad). KOK was at least close to average. When Kirk hires a highly successful, championship winning OC (Polasek) and has him coaching the offensive line (a position he NEVER coached before), and names his son OC (with ZERO OC experience), that is basically proof positive Brian not only wasn’t the most qualified for the position, but that he got the job because he is Kirk’s son.

To continue arguing is pointless. I have my OPINION and you have yours. I am not going to change your mind and you won’t change mine. Let’s just agree to disagree.

Sure, there are some who succeed as a coordinator despite never having been one before. Now do the ones who DIDN’T. You can’t cherry pick. You admit Brian is a failure. That only reinforces my OPINION that he wasn’t qualified for the job.

My OPINION is that I would like to see the OC at Iowa have experience as a successful OC somewhere else first……either at a lower level, or a lesser P5 school. I would prefer that person not “learn on the job” at Iowa. I realize Davis was experienced (and bad). KOK was at least close to average. When Kirk hires a highly successful, championship winning OC (Polasek) and has him coaching the offensive line (a position he NEVER coached before), and names his son OC (with ZERO OC experience), that is basically proof positive Brian not only wasn’t the most qualified for the position, but that he got the job because he is Kirk’s son.

To continue arguing is pointless. I have my OPINION and you have yours. I am not going to change your mind and you won’t change mine. Let’s just agree to disagree.

To continue arguing is pointless. I have my OPINION and you have yours. I am not going to change your mind and you won’t change mine. Let’s just agree to disagree

Sure do you also want me to list guys who absolutely failed at their second times being OC's? I can do that as well. Sure obviously people have different ideas as what qualifies as someone being qualified for a job. My position is much more industry accepted than yours. (meaning its not considered abnormal even by those that prefer experience) Some people value experience at a specific role than others. I certainly think OC at NDSU is much less an accomplishment than anything Brian had done. In regards to Polasek coaching a position you never played or coached that again is widely accepted practice.

Sure do you also want me to list guys who absolutely failed at their second times being OC's? I can do that as well. Sure obviously people have different ideas as what qualifies as someone being qualified for a job. My position is much more industry accepted than yours. (meaning its not considered abnormal even by those that prefer experience) Some people value experience at a specific role than others. I certainly think OC at NDSU is much less an accomplishment than anything Brian had done. In regards to Polasek coaching a position you never played or coached that again is widely accepted practice.
If you think being an OC on a championship team is less of an accomplishment than being a position coach……well, I can only disagree.

To say Brian was more qualified to be an OC than Polasek.…..hmmm.

But, that’s your opinion. You are entitled to it. Doesn’t mean you are “right” any more than my opinion is “right.” You admit Brian is a failure as OC, so I guess he wasn’t really all that qualified after all. Perhaps if he would have learned the job at a lower level school first, maybe he would do better.

If you think being an OC on a championship team is less of an accomplishment than being a position coach……well, I can only disagree.

To say Brian was more qualified to be an OC than Polasek.…..hmmm.

But, that’s your opinion. You are entitled to it. Doesn’t mean you are “right” any more than my opinion is “right.” You admit Brian is a failure as OC, so I guess he wasn’t really all that qualified after all. Perhaps if he would have learned the job at a lower level school first, maybe he would do better.
Yes being a coordinator for an FCS school is less of an accomplishment than being a position coach in the NFL. Are you being serious? Hell the Championship coordinator left to become a "position coach at an FBS school.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT