ADVERTISEMENT

Brian Ferentz:”I’m not an expert on the Quarterback position”

Yes being a coordinator for an FCS school is less of an accomplishment than being a position coach in the NFL. Are you being serious? Hell the Championship coordinator left to become a "position coach at an FBS school.
Difference between any old FCS school vs NDSU who was in the midst of multi national titles and beat several FBS schools including our very own ranked Iowa team.

Reactions: 83Hawk
Your opinion. Doesn’t make it fact.
Where did I state that it was anymore than my opinion? But my opinion was clearly shared by Tim Polasek himself when he left his OC gig at an FCS school for an FBS position coach gig.

Difference between any old FCS school vs NDSU who was in the midst of multi national titles and beat several FBS schools including our very own ranked Iowa team.
FCS is still the FCS. Yes obviously NDSU jobs are better than coaching at Drake in any role but it still isn't equal to coaching at Iowa. If it were again I ask why did Polasek leave a better job for a position coach job?

FCS is still the FCS. Yes obviously NDSU jobs are better than coaching at Drake in any role but it still isn't equal to coaching at Iowa. If it were again I ask why did Polasek leave a better job for a position coach job?
Why did he leave his “better” job as a position coach at a P5 school to take the OC job at a “lower” level school?

Also…..why did Brian leave his position coaching job for a championship NFL team to be a position coach in college? Are you saying position coach at Iowa is better than position coach for the Patriots?

Last edited:
$

I think to be an OC at a major university such as Iowa, you should first have experience as an OC at a lower level. But that is my opinion. You disagree. That’s your opinion.

I didn’t think Brian’s prior experiences were enough to qualify him as an OC at a major university. Again….that is my personal opinion.
Kirk and other coaches have said this many times ... football really isn't that complicated of a game. For a guy like Brian ... he knows the game inside and out. So there is no lack of understanding of the game. If you are familiar with the padding work he did at New England - then you appreciate his understanding of the game of football from the granular level.

However, just because a dude understands something doesn't indicate that he can teach it. However, again, Brian has a track record of being a perfectly fine teacher/motivator during his time coaching/teaching the OL (and later TEs).

A prerequisite that many COLLEGE programs ideally wish of guys on this staff ... they want the job to be a "dream job" for their candidate. They want the guy to bleed the school-colors!

Case in point ... Fitz at Northwestern ... he's a smart dude and truly understands the game of football (not unlike Brian). After Randy Walker died, he got promoted from the LINEBACKER coach to head coaching spot!

Similarly sort of deal with Jim Leonhard at Wisconsin ... he didn't even have that much prior coaching experience ... but it was well understood that he was a "defensive genius." Jim got promoted VERY quickly to the DC spot.

These scenarios aren't at all rare in the college game ... and, as the prior examples indicated ... they're damn fine hires too.

Whether YOU like it or not, it's irrelevant ... but Brian Ferentz was recognized has having a great football mind in the coaching community. Brian bleeds the black and gold ... it means a TON to him to coach at Iowa. It's not just a professional stepping-stone for him.

Reactions: Arbor1 and F5n5
Why did he leave his “better” job as a position coach at a P5 school to take the OC job at a “lower” level school?

Also…..why did Brian leave his position coaching job for a championship NFL team to be a position coach in college? Are you saying position coach at Iowa is better than position coach for the Patriots?
Because while Wyoming isn't a Power 5 school it is in fact an FBS school in a more than respectable conference as opposed to and FCS school. In regards to leaving the Patriots for Iowa the NFL and Power 5 football is pretty interchangeable at this point yes also I'm fairly certain they had a transition plan in place and being at Iowa was probably the best place to complete that said transition to Brian to run game coordinator to eventual OC.

I remember some while ago when Coach Morgan moved from coaching the OL to coaching the DL. Part of the issue there was that Coach K was a bit "bullying" in how he coached. While Coach Morgan most definitely challenged his guys and encouraged toughness ... he never did it in a bullying way. Once Reese took over the DL coaching spot ... our attrition on the DL went way down.

Anyhow, many folks thought that it was a weird move ... especially given that Morgan's prior collegiate coaching experience was at TEs first and then the OL. Anyhow, this just reinforces my prior point about the value of coaches who just know the game of football really well, guys who are lifetime learner (so they're happy to learn from others who are perceived experts), and guys who just have a strong coaching/teaching acumen.

Reactions: F5n5
Because while Wyoming isn't a Power 5 school it is in fact an FBS school in a more than respectable conference as opposed to and FCS school. In regards to leaving the Patriots for Iowa the NFL and Power 5 football is pretty interchangeable at this point yes also I'm fairly certain they had a transition plan in place and being at Iowa was probably the best place to complete that said transition to Brian to run game coordinator to eventual OC.
You lose all credibility and objectivity when you say the Patriots and Iowa are “interchangeable.”

Also, since you seem to think being a position coach at Iowa is more prestigious than being OC at perennial national champion North Dakota State, then by your logic Polasek moved to a LESS prestigious job as OC at a non-Power 5 school in a mid-major conference. Why would he leave a “better” job to do that?

Last edited:
You lose all credibility and objectivity when you say the Patriots and Iowa are “interchangeable.”

Also, since you seem to think being a position coach at Iowa is more prestigious than being OC at perennial national champion North Dakota State, then by your logic Polasek moved to a LESS prestigious job as OC at a non-Power 5 school in a mid-major conference. Why would he leave a “better” job to do that?
I never said that. Iowa and the Patriots are interchangeable. I said that working in the NFL and working in Major Conference football is considered pretty interchangeable. Follow along and stop trying to strawman my arguments. In regards to Polasek taking the OC job at Wyoming, I already addressed that. Except for the 8-12 huge FCS fans and apparently you understand that FBS is significantly above FBS. A few wins by FCS schools over FBS schools doesn't change that.

I never said that. Iowa and the Patriots are interchangeable. I said that working in the NFL and working in Major Conference football is considered pretty interchangeable. Follow along and stop trying to strawman my arguments. In regards to Polasek taking the OC job at Wyoming, I already addressed that. Except for the 8-12 huge FCS fans and apparently you understand that FBS is significantly above FBS. A few wins by FCS schools over FBS schools doesn't change that.
Sure you did. You said working in the NFL and Major College football are interchangeable. Patriots are in the NFL. Iowa major college. There is no straw man here, only you trying to move the goalposts and CYA.

I did NOT say the FCS as a whole is above the FBS as a whole. The ORIGINAL point I was making is that Polasek was more qualified to be OC at Iowa than Brian. You disagreed. And then went off on tangents.

Oh……and since you think Polasek left being OC at NDSU to take a more “prestigious” position coaching job at Iowa, why would he leave Iowa for a position at a “less prestigious” and lower level school (Wyoming)? And for less money?

Then again, you probably think being a staff accountant at a Fortune 500 company is more prestigious than being the head of the accounting department at a mis-size company.

how is it working out for him right now? Maybe he isn't the genus you think he was

how is it working out for him right now? Maybe he isn't the genus you think he was
Good Job with your sound argument that you are making by just strawmanning my argument. Where exactly did I call Brian a genius? Oh that's right I didn't nor did I even imply it. As a matter of fact, I actually did the opposite.

Not that position coaches can't have an effect, positive and negative, because they certainly can.
But the much bigger overriding factor is what the head man wants and how flexible he is in allowing deviation from that.
KF clearly prefers conservative offense with taking limited chances and limiting exposure to turnovers. Punting is winning.
It probably doesn't take an innovative qb genius to coach a player to make the safe choice.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT