ADVERTISEMENT

Brian Ferentz Podcast (Really Good Stuff!)

It doesn't seem this has been talked about yet. But he also took a shot at Nebraska by saying that when he was with New England they cut one of the Nebraska players that they had drafted because he just wasn't a good fit.
It doesn't seem this has been talked about yet. But he also took a shot at Nebraska by saying that when he was with New England they cut one of the Nebraska players that they had drafted because he just wasn't a good fit.
I don't know who Brian was talking about here because he said that cut player was Barrett Rudd who was drafted in the second round by Tampa Bay and played there for 6 years. 8 total in the NFL. 658 tackles, 7 picks, a good career. Maybe someone else from NE.

I don't know who Brian was talking about here because he said that cut player was Barrett Rudd who was drafted in the second round by Tampa Bay and played there for 6 years. 8 total in the NFL. 658 tackles, 7 picks, a good career. Maybe someone else from NE.
Bo Ruud was drafted by NE.

Reactions: loper
Is Brian still living in the low rent housing or did the school just by him a house now that he is the OC?

Pretty sad when your most famous football player is known for getting a DUI while celebrating his CFB Hall of Fame induction, isn't it?
Almost as bad as when the Iowa head coach's football player son gets busted for public intoxication by the Iowa City Police.
BTW, it wasn't a DUI, but whatever. All college programs have there share of knuckleheads.

Almost as bad as when the Iowa head coach's football player son gets busted for public intoxication by the Iowa City Police.
BTW, it wasn't a DUI, but whatever. All college programs have there share of knuckleheads.

Their share of knuckleheads indeed. Even message boards have their share as well.

Reactions: mrlebowski
http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sp...uiting-rivals-hawk-central-podcast/310493001/

I would have never believed that a Iowa football coach would say something like this. It is a good mixture of honesty and way sexy. And he is right on most accounts I think. I wonder if Kirk would have allowed another assistant coach say things like Brian did. I hope it doesn't bring ripples into the Ferentz family.
Personally, I think it looks weak when you call out other schools - especially bottom dwellers like ISU and Minn. It makes him appear to be butt hurt that Nebraska is having some recruiting success with their current staff. My opinion - keep your mouth shut and let the actions speak on the field.

Near the bottom. Northwestern is at the bottom for obvious reasons. If you look at the Big Dogs it varies greatly each year - for example FSU has a little over 100. Bama has over 200 - same with Michigan. And Iowa had over 200 last year, but you can't compare the two when you are 9 months away from signing day and late, and in-season offers happen in bunches.

One thing that Brian was getting at, and Blair mentioned on Twitter, is the Andrew Todd situation. ISU offers and then stop recruiting him when ISU had 0 OL commits. That happens a lot but if you are going to start recruiting in the Big 10 footprint (which ISU staff has experience), especially in-state, then you don't want to start burning bridges at the high school level.

I think the real point I got from Brian's interview wasn't the little jab at Huskers to ruffle some feathers rather it was him calling out Minnesota and ISU for continuing their MAC recruiting practices. Which I get in the MAC that you have to throw out lot of offers and have back up options ready with schools poaching recruits especially if they commit early then blow up and big boys come offering.

To continue that practice in Big 10 and 12 is kind of shady and BF is calling them out. Cause I'm sure BF and especially Reece Morgan hear from lot of Iowa HS coaches who as the article say most know one another. With that you have the Andrew Todd and Zach Ross situation mentioned in Tom's article that probably doesn't sit well with lot of Iowa HS coaches. Honestly with BF getting this out in public I think is smart because we recruit in the same area and are going after some of the same players with these 2 programs and letting kids know there is difference between an ISU and Iowa offer can be different and that those other 2 programs could burn some bridges if they offer and then don't return the call like they did with Todd & Ross.

Mike Riley is 1-5 vs Iowa, Wisconsin, and Northwestern. Opposing coaches have every right to take some shots at Nebraska when that is the current reality of the Big Ten West.

However, I think its a mistake and a misallocation of effort to subsequently mock Riley for trying to improve his team thru recruiting efforts.

The only way to reverse your current status is proactively seek improvement.

Nebraska has 20 dudes who redshirted last season, and another 20 recruits coming in including top 100 players like Avery Robert, Elijah Blades, and Tyjion Lindsey.

On hand, Coach Ferentz hasn't seen those dudes do shit. But on the other hand, I don't he can criticize the path to bring them in either.

Mike Riley is 1-5 vs Iowa, Wisconsin, and Northwestern. Opposing coaches have every right to take some shots at Nebraska when that is the current reality of the Big Ten West.

However, I think its a mistake and a misallocation of effort to subsequently mock Riley for trying to improve his team thru recruiting efforts.

The only way to reverse your current status is proactively seek improvement.

Nebraska has 20 dudes who redshirted last season, and another 20 recruits coming in including top 100 players like Avery Robert, Elijah Blades, and Tyjion Lindsey.

On hand, Coach Ferentz hasn't seen those dudes do shit. But on the other hand, I don't he can criticize the path to bring them in either.

I think on his criticism on how they brought them in was more on Minnesota and ISU recruiting tactics. For Nebraska think his comment was more just to troll them. That's how I interpreted it. Personally I think sometimes unfair to judge a coach in first year or 2 when they have other coaches player but once you get into years 3, 4 & 5 its becoming all your guys and really no more excuses.

Reactions: ThrowBones92
Picking on Iowa state Minnesota and Nebraska.

Not exactly the upper crust.

Again as I posted earlier I like the move. Yes not top tier teams but teams Iowa recruits against. Nebraska not as much but Minnesota and ISU for sure. We saw last week before signing day took 2 guys they had interest and wanted one being a former recruit in Trey Creamer. Campbell goes on record saying they are going to be more active with Iowa kids and not just going to let Iowa get them with out a fight. Well as Kakert's article said this morning ISU has an "offer" for 2 Iowa kids but in all reality they weren't offers the kids could commit to but an "offer with conditions" a MAC school move. This is good ammo for Iowa to use if kid is strongly considering Iowa along with those other 2 schools they can point to how they do business vs those 2 and when Iowa offers it is legit.

I don't know what Brian Ferentz will put on the field but so far I like his message. And his message is nothing like his father would say. He calls things how they are with how weak the WR corps is right now, and I love him calling out some other programs close by.
I'd love to hear BF explain his handling of the Jack Beneventi situation. Long time Iowa commit has a shaky season and he's history 2 months before signing day.

I'd love to hear BF explain his handling of the Jack Beneventi situation. Long time Iowa commit has a shaky season and he's history 2 months before signing day.
I think being honest and saying, look, you probably aren't going to play for us...giving you the opportunity to land elsewhere now, was better than letting him come and get zero playing time in his career.

I think being honest and saying, look, you probably aren't going to play for us...giving you the opportunity to land elsewhere now, was better than letting him come and get zero playing time in his career.
Yeah, that may be true. But pulling an offer is pulling an offer, which BF implied they don't ever do. It's like the story of "would you sleep with someone for a million dollars? If the answer is yes, we know what you are, we're just trying to negotiate the price."
The point is everybody does it to an extent, and calling out others when you have done it yourself is hypocritical and arrogant.
Besides, what good can come of it? How does it help your program to disparage others, even if it were true?
I suspect BF is going to learn a few lessons early in his leadership role.

Last edited:
Yeah, that may be true. But pulling an offer is pulling an offer, which BF implied they don't ever do. It's like the story of "would you sleep with someone for a million dollars? If the answer is yes, we know what you are, we're just trying to negotiate the price."
The point is everybody does it to an extent, and calling out others when you have done it yourself is hypocritical and arrogant.
Did they flat out pull the offer? Honest question, or did they tell him the offer stood, but he'd be better off pursuing other options?

That's the one example in how many years under KF? The kid was benched by his highschool team! They had no choice. I mean he kept his offer to Shada years ago after he got that blood clot, whether he would play football or not. You can question many things about KF, and the way he does things, but questioning his character is just silly. I'm not a huge fan of any coach calling out other teams, so I'm not going to pretend that BF's comments are great. However, what he brought up, was public knowledge already, not sure why that puts ISU fans panties in a bunch. You have no problem with Rhoads or Pollard running their mouths, but with this, LOL.
I think all BF is saying, is that if ISU is going to really offer Iowa kids, then offer them. Don't give them this non-commitable offer crap. I like that he's sticking up for Iowa high-school players, even those that aren't going to Iowa. ISU is only trying to be the first offer, while being completely insincere.
I also understand this is common among many other schools, and I don't agree., If you offer a kid, then you need to let them also commit.

Did they flat out pull the offer? Honest question, or did they tell him the offer stood, but he'd be better off pursuing other options?
According to news reports and quote from Beneventi, BF came to him personally and told him. Beneventi appreciated that he did it directly, but he ended up at Western IL. Looking back at the story, he is transferring from WIU and has an offer from San Jose St.

Iowa in last how many years has this unique situation where Iowa coach goes to meet him personally and discuss it. In last few months 2 Iowa kids mentioned in the article get ISU offers and ISU coaches won't even call them back. Sorry but the Beneventi situation is apples to oranges comparison on what Iowa St coaches are doing right now.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
I think programs like ISU and Minnesota can only benefit from the high offer strategy. The offer shows formal interest and with players being so young, it creates a sort of competition between them as they develop, while also getting their brands out there. I feel like I would want to know more about the inner workings of it all before passing a moral value judgement, but at the very least I find it all very intriguing

According to news reports and quote from Beneventi, BF came to him personally and told him. Beneventi appreciated that he did it directly, but he ended up at Western IL. Looking back at the story, he is transferring from WIU and has an offer from San Jose St.
I don't see how this makes any Iowa coaches bad guys.

Last edited:
That's the one example in how many years under KF? The kid was benched by his highschool team! They had no choice. I mean he kept his offer to Shada years ago after he got that blood clot, whether he would play football or not. You can question many things about KF, and the way he does things, but questioning his character is just silly. I'm not a huge fan of any coach calling out other teams, so I'm not going to pretend that BF's comments are great. However, what he brought up, was public knowledge already, not sure why that puts ISU fans panties in a bunch. You have no problem with Rhoads or Pollard running their mouths, but with this, LOL.
I think all BF is saying, is that if ISU is going to really offer Iowa kids, then offer them. Don't give them this non-commitable offer crap. I like that he's sticking up for Iowa high-school players, even those that aren't going to Iowa. ISU is only trying to be the first offer, while being completely insincere.
I also understand this is common among many other schools, and I don't agree., If you offer a kid, then you need to let them also commit.
First, following through with an offer to an injured player is no big deal. If the player is unable to play, he is put on a medical scholarship and doesn't count against the total of 85.
Second, in regard to "all BF is saying". Tell us what your recruiting philosophy is, not what you think others are doing. Who made BF the recruiting police?
Third, what do you know about what I think of Rhoads or anybody else "running their mouths"? I wasn't an Iowa State Rivals subscriber until last year and didn't renew my subscription when it came up in November.
Fourth, we don't know whether Iowa State really offered a kid. We only know someone thinks they offered him. Coaches (including Iowa coaches) speak with vague optimism to recruits to the point that recruits believe they have an offer when they actually don't.
If you don't think Iowa has had plenty of recruits that they stopped returning phone calls to after making them feel like there's a chance, you're as naive as they are.

I don't see how this makes any Iowa coaches bad guys.
I didn't say they were bad guys, BF said that they don't do it even though they apparently do.
This was actually a clear case of pulling an offer from a committed recruit for performance issues. Not pulling a vague offer from someone who thinks that they offered when they actually may never have.

First, following through with an offer to an injured player is no big deal. If the player is unable to play, he is put on a medical scholarship and doesn't count against the total of 85.
Second, in regard to "all BF is saying". Tell us what your recruiting philosophy is, not what you think others are doing. Who made BF the recruiting police?
Third, what do you know about what I think of Rhoads or anybody else "running their mouths"? I wasn't an Iowa State Rivals subscriber until last year and didn't renew my subscription when it came up in November.
Fourth, we don't know whether Iowa State really offered a kid. We only know someone thinks they offered him. Coaches (including Iowa coaches) speak with vague optimism to recruits to the point that recruits believe they have an offer when they actually don't.
If you don't think Iowa has had plenty of recruits that they stopped returning phone calls to after making them feel like there's a chance, you're as naive as they are.

Big difference between not returning a recruits call who they are interested in versus one with an offer. Which is in Andrew Todd's case at CR Washington is the case. Co worker is HS coach for over a decade and as Kakert's article says HS coaches talk amongst one another. Texted him about the whole offer vs non commitable offer after reading the article this morning and lets just say it has raised some eyebrows. Especially in the CR metro area with Todd and how the ISU staff is dishing out "offers" left and right. But I'll go by his word from what he's heard from other HS coaches that ISU did indeed in fact offer him to the point the kid thought he could commit and they never got back to him later.

I wouldn't be surprised if some HS coaches haven't been in Reece Morgan or Brian's ear about this. Again I maybe biased cause an Iowa fan but I like the move talking about it because Campbell on record saying he wants to be more aggressive getting Iowa kids and this doesn't help his cause.

I agree with you, but the latter has also happened. Think fallback skill position players who showed up and learned quickly they would never get playing time, only to quietly disappear.

Big difference between not returning a recruits call who they are interested in versus one with an offer. Which is in Andrew Todd's case at CR Washington is the case. Co worker is HS coach for over a decade and as Kakert's article says HS coaches talk amongst one another. Texted him about the whole offer vs non commitable offer after reading the article this morning and lets just say it has raised some eyebrows. Especially in the CR metro area with Todd and how the ISU staff is dishing out "offers" left and right. But I'll go by his word from what he's heard from other HS coaches that ISU did indeed in fact offer him to the point the kid thought he could commit and they never got back to him later.

I wouldn't be surprised if some HS coaches haven't been in Reece Morgan or Brian's ear about this. Again I maybe biased cause an Iowa fan but I like the move talking about it because Campbell on record saying he wants to be more aggressive getting Iowa kids and this doesn't help his cause.
plus when you have almost 400 offers out there you are offering kids you have not even spoken to so you have no idea if they are a "fit" for your program at all. Just that they are ranked by recruiting services...

I didn't say they were bad guys, BF said that they don't do it even though they apparently do.
This was actually a clear case of pulling an offer from a committed recruit for performance issues. Not pulling a vague offer from someone who thinks that they offered when they actually may never have.
you don't know for sure it was performance based in total, there might have been something else and it was not aired in public.....just sayin.

you don't know for sure it was performance based in total, there might have been something else and it was not aired in public.....just sayin.
No, from the published articles I reviewed, it was made pretty clear that it was a performance issue. He was an early commit to Iowa, Iowa accepted his commitment, and pulled the offer after the season. The kid wasn't going to get an offer from any other FBS program b/c he wasn't good for a D1 QB. So now the kid is good enough to get an offer from San Jose St after transferring from Western IL.
Iowa made a mistake in offering someone that they weren't prepared to give an opportunity to redeem himself. That didn't stop them from pulling the offer.
I'll agree, the kid was probably better off not going to a program that he didn't have a chance to compete at, but that doesn't change the fact that a commit had his offer pulled.

On the scholarship letter is states the following requirement:

"You must continue to excel as a student-athlete at your academic institution."

Getting benched your senior year isn't excelling as a student-athlete.

Reactions: Ree4
I've coached HS football in Illinois for 10 years. I've had the opportunity to talk to many college coaches when they come through the HS that I volunteered at.
The coaches are salesmen for their program, a lot like car salesmen. They talk to any kid the HS coach suggests that they talk to and then narrow down their interest after just seeing if the kid doesn't fit their prototype or after they evaluate him based on scouting services and other coaches' opinions or after evaluating film if it gets that far.
Until they've eliminated that kid as a prospective recruit, or even walk on, they will be really positive and great guys to everyone that they come in contact with on their visits. That's the nature of the job. Some kids, and even HS coaches, misinterpret a recruiting coach's optimistic manner.
It's really simple, if you're not afraid of the answer, you remove all doubt when a coach gives you what you think is an offer by asking them if this a legitimate offer that you can commit to or are there some conditions. Frankly, kids, and even some coaches, would prefer to deceive themselves and believe they have an offer when they actually do not.
If they are not willing to ask that question, then it's on the kid (understandable) and the parents or HS coach (not understandable) for allowing themselves to be deceived.

So because daddy coattails Brian doesn't agree with other teams strategy he thinks its smart to publicly whine about it? I thought Iowa was above this? I can't believe the fans like this move.

Who is he?

On the scholarship letter is states the following requirement:

"You must continue to excel as a student-athlete at your academic institution."

Getting benched your senior year isn't excelling as a student-athlete.
I guess you could be questioning whether some of these ISU recruits BF is referring to have met that threshold. You can't have it both ways.
And honestly, I believe that is a reference to the recruit's academic work as once an offer is made and accepted, it's pretty much assumed that the recruit met the athletic standard since the athletic scholarship was offered.

I guess you could be questioning whether some of these ISU recruits BF is referring to have met that threshold. You can't have it both ways.
And honestly, I believe that is a reference to the recruit's academic work as once an offer is made and accepted, it's pretty much assumed that the recruit met the athletic standard since the athletic scholarship was offered.
Then why add athlete to it and just say academic standards? And wouldn't it be hard to gauge whether or not they are living up to their athletic standards in the off-season?

Also there is another requirement in the letter:

"You must excel in the classroom and comply with the requirements of The University of Iowa."

We can parse all the details that you want. Todd didn't regress to my knowledge. Having been recruited, having multiple children recruited and having kids play for coaches who excelled at the Div 1 level and the NFL I have some knowledge of the process. Yes coaches are used car salesman in a sense, yes they will be nice until they determine you are not a part of their plans. I also know that they play on the edge with what they are saying, that being said I feel pretty confident that some schools are doing things in different manners, both ways can work and there are good and bad to both. That being said, I would prefer my child go to a program that does things similar to Iowa. In their current class there are a couple of in state players that they offered early, accepted their commitment and are honoring it. As their senior season progressed they regretted the offer but stuck with it. The Beneventi situation may be different but perhaps they had an upfront conversation and Jack decided he didn't want to go because of that. We don't know. Keep defending ISU and their methods, it may work well but it wouldn't be the way I would want to do it or have my kids associated with.

Then why add athlete to it and just say academic standards? And wouldn't it be hard to gauge whether or not they are living up to their athletic standards in the off-season?

Also there is another requirement in the letter:

"You must excel in the classroom and comply with the requirements of The University of Iowa."
Come on. These are vague statements that allow the program wide latitude to interpret "standards" as an excuse to get out of a commitment.
You're arguing that Iowa may have used high standards of performance to get out of a committed scholarship while at the same time claiming Iowa St and others back out of scholarships for no other reason than they just jumped the gun on offering a kid that they weren't certain about.
As I said, you can't have it both ways. If you interpret Iowa's pulling Beneventi's committed scholarship as not meeting Iowa's standards, then you're saying that an offer isn't an offer until signing day and is completely open to the football program's interpretation. How does that square with the criticism of Iowa State's alleged methods?

We can parse all the details that you want. Todd didn't regress to my knowledge. Having been recruited, having multiple children recruited and having kids play for coaches who excelled at the Div 1 level and the NFL I have some knowledge of the process. Yes coaches are used car salesman in a sense, yes they will be nice until they determine you are not a part of their plans. I also know that they play on the edge with what they are saying, that being said I feel pretty confident that some schools are doing things in different manners, both ways can work and there are good and bad to both. That being said, I would prefer my child go to a program that does things similar to Iowa. In their current class there are a couple of in state players that they offered early, accepted their commitment and are honoring it. As their senior season progressed they regretted the offer but stuck with it. The Beneventi situation may be different but perhaps they had an upfront conversation and Jack decided he didn't want to go because of that. We don't know. Keep defending ISU and their methods, it may work well but it wouldn't be the way I would want to do it or have my kids associated with.
I haven't read the details of the HS coach's account and haven't disputed it. I haven't even defended the practice, if something actually happened. I've mostly commented about the wisdom of BF publicly commenting on geographic rivals recruiting practices, the hypocrisy of his comments, and the misinterpretation of that occurs between recruiting coaches and players, players parents and HS coaches.
I don't know the HS coach involved, but I don't think we should assume that this was absolutely an offer rather than a miscommunication or misinterpretation.

I've heard first hand accounts concerning the Beneventi situation from players who were on his high school team. The issue WASN'T that he had a bad season. The problem was that once he lost the QB job at the school he transferred to ... he quit on his team. He explicitly quit showing up to practices for a while and missed at least one game (if not more). Those sort of antics demonstrate that he wasn't being a team player and not striving improve as a player.

Thus, Beneventi got his scholarship pulled by Iowa because he quit living up to the expectations that were required for him to hold the scholarship offer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT