ADVERTISEMENT

Brian Ferentz Podcast (Really Good Stuff!)

On a spring recruiting visit to the HS that I volunteer at, I talked at length to the 2016 OL coach from Minnesota. He and BF are quite good friends. He was vocal in his and BF's suspicions about the Iowa State staff's recruiting practices. When I had the opportunity to meet with Iowa St coach staff, I found his claims to be quite untrue.
I wasn't present when BF visited our school, but I heard BF made a disparaging remark about Iowa St Football. It might be true. It might be deserved. But I consider it classless to disparage another program, except in a possibly joking way. He wasn't joking.
I think BF needs to learn to keep his potentially legitimate thoughts to himself and his buddies for his own benefit, lest he be judged.

I've heard first hand accounts concerning the Beneventi situation from players who were on his high school team. The issue WASN'T that he had a bad season. The problem was that once he lost the QB job at the school he transferred to ... he quit on his team. He explicitly quit showing up to practices for a while and missed at least one game (if not more). Those sort of antics demonstrate that he wasn't being a team player and not striving improve as a player.

Thus, Beneventi got his scholarship pulled by Iowa because he quit living up to the expectations that were required for him to hold the scholarship offer.
It's great that you have some secondhand knowledge. It may very well be true. My question would then be, why did it take so long to pull the scholarship in December? Why wasn't he talking to his recruiting coach about his situation during the season and how he should handle adversity?
The truth is we don't know the truth and details about this situation or any situations that are being discussed about Iowa St. And, making judgments about situations that we don't know all the facts is hazardous.
As I've said, I didn't criticize BF for his handling of that situation. I criticized his public commentary on ISU's situation and his hypocrisy. The defense seems to be he had fair reason to pull an offer from a committed recruit, but Iowa St has no excuse. Likely, b/c that's what some would prefer to believe.

It's great that you have some secondhand knowledge. It may very well be true. My question would then be, why did it take so long to pull the scholarship in December? Why wasn't he talking to his recruiting coach about his situation during the season and how he should handle adversity?
The truth is we don't know the truth and details about this situation or any situations that are being discussed about Iowa St. And, making judgments about situations that we don't know all the facts is hazardous.
As I've said, I didn't criticize BF for his handling of that situation. I criticized his public commentary on ISU's situation and his hypocrisy. The defense seems to be he had fair reason to pull an offer from a committed recruit, but Iowa St has no excuse. Likely, b/c that's what some would prefer to believe.
Just a question. How do you know he's being hypocritical, if you don't know the facts of involved? :confused:

So because daddy coattails Brian doesn't agree with other teams strategy he thinks its smart to publicly whine about it? I thought Iowa was above this? I can't believe the fans like this move.

Who is he?

Daddy coattails that's rich. I'm sure the greatest football coach of all time Bill Belichick just hired and promoted Brian multiple times because he and Kirk are friends. Ok gotcha just riding off his dad's name. Brian isn't the first nor will he be the last coach to talk about how people recruit and flaws with the system now a days. Plenty of coaches have been out spoken against other programs for over signing, satellite camps or specifically how the creep in Ann Arbor recruits and operates. I'm sure what kids here from some coaches across the country about others trying to recruit them seems like peanuts compared to these comments by BF.

I mean was it smart for your AD to hold a press conference and whine about the officiating as if a conspiracy against ISU after an Oklahoma St loss a few years back? Plenty of your fan base was behind and liked that move. Of course clone fans hate what BF said and Iowa fans enjoy his comments. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this one out.

I'm not exactly sure what pedestal Iowa expect opposing fans to put them on for their recruiting practices.

Iowa hands out roughly 3-4 times the amount of schollies it can fill in a given year. If Nebraska hands out 7x, yes that is more, but both schools are so far beyond their cut line as to make it ludicrous to think there's anything really all that noble in Iowa's approach.

Iowa is still going to have to do expectation management of folks lower on the board in case some of their higher rated guys bite as well.

IMO, there'd be less late season "MAC scramble" by Kirk and Co (that this board hates so much), if they simply identified and groomed more targets throughout the whole cycle.

It's pretty straightforward. You criticize a recruiting practice that you say you would never do, but in fact have.
In FACT have what exactly. As Ghost entailed, (and you obviously weren't listening), the Beneviti case was very unusual. They pulled his offer because, HE QUIT ON HIS TEAM, and stopped showing up. Any coach with a brain would have told the kid to take a hike! Under KF Iowa has a long history of honoring commits, even if the guy gets hurt in high school they brought them in even if they would never play. So I assume your saying that Campbell has not honored offers for exactly the same reason as the Jack Beneviti case? If not then BF is not being hypocritical at all.

Great hearing Iowa staff's justification for recruiting laziness.
Ah yes another voice, about how lazy the Iowa coaches are! Thanks for chiming in with a new topic there iclown. Tell you what when Campbell or whatever coach dejur ISU has, (since they change coaches every four years or so), has a resume that looks anything like the one that KF has come back and let us know will you. I won't hold my breath. :rolleyes:

Ah yes another voice, about how lazy the Iowa coaches are! Thanks for chiming in with a new topic there iclown. Tell you what when Campbell or whatever coach dejur ISU has, (since they change coaches every four years or so), has a resume that looks anything like the one that KF has come back and let us know will you. I won't hold my breath. :rolleyes:

You can thank your fellow fans for that narrative. And probably the Good Captain himself.

It's pretty straightforward. You criticize a recruiting practice that you say you would never do, but in fact have.

I don't really care if Iowa has or hasn't recruited that way. As a long time hawkeye fan, BF needs to keep his mouth shut on the topic. Why be critical of another program that isn't doing anything wrong. They can recruit any way they want as long as there's no NCAA violations. When BF starts determining NCAA rules, then he can speak up. I think he has more to worry about than how Iowa St is recruiting. I'd rather see him trying to figure out how our offense is going to be able to pass the ball longer than 3 yards.

You can thank your fellow fans for that narrative. And probably the Good Captain himself.
There are whiners on every board. That doesn't change the reality does it. I have to say for a guy who is so lazy, and has no idea how to coach, its amazing the guy can win conference and national coaching honors, produce NFL players out of recruits no one else wanted, and beat the Michigans and Penn States of the world. Its a real paradox don't you think?

Reactions: RogerKint
There are whiners on every board. That doesn't change the reality does it. I have to say for a guy who is so lazy, and has no idea how to coach, its amazing the guy can win conference and national coaching honors, produce NFL players out of recruits no one else wanted, and beat the Michigans and Penn States of the world. Its a real paradox don't you think?

Don't follow real closely, but lazy seems to usually be used in reference to his recruiting. Which outside of 2005, the results don't seem to be in line with his otherwise stellar accomplishments.

I don't really care if Iowa has or hasn't recruited that way. As a long time hawkeye fan, BF needs to keep his mouth shut on the topic. Why be critical of another program that isn't doing anything wrong. They can recruit any way they want as long as there's no NCAA violations. When BF starts determining NCAA rules, then he can speak up. I think he has more to worry about than how Iowa St is recruiting. I'd rather see him trying to figure out how our offense is going to be able to pass the ball longer than 3 yards.
Hey come on now. All the haters out there wanted the anti Kirk. Well here he is!

Don't follow real closely, but lazy seems to usually be used in reference to his recruiting. Which outside of 2005, the results don't seem to be in line with his otherwise stellar accomplishments.
And how exactly do you dig up these diamonds in the rough that no one else wants? His staff just sits at home and these guys just show up out of thin air right? Too many people equate Iowa's low rankings (by the recruiting experts), to being lazy. Not the case, but it does give the whiners another jumping off point. You yourself use the one year they had a highly ranked class as example. I'd say they have to work harder then most staffs to find under the radar guys. How hard is it really to recruit to Alabama, OSU, MIchigan?

Great hearing Iowa staff's justification for recruiting laziness.

What's Iowa state's excuse then? 3 straight years no draft picks or bowl games. But i love how you guys buy into the hype and crap your staff always sell you on your "under rated " or "sneaky good" class you bring in every year and that your staff recruits harder than anyone. However they always have the leg up in December to recruit while other teams are preparing for their bowl games.

Honestly I wish Brian wouldn't have made public something that has probably been discussed in staff meetings. IF he spoke out of turn, he's probably already been called on the carpet by KF, or Barta, whomever he actually reports to. I have to wonder if the staff perhaps DID want this out there in public. Maybe they wanted BF to be the messenger, and have him wear the black hat for awhile. Show the fan base that he's more then just a chip off the old block??????? :rolleyes:

If you follow any of the assistants or recruiting services on twitter then you know that the staff is hardly lazy. They are all over the US (not much out west though) visiting recruits and high schools at all times of the year (within the rules).

So you weren't there but 'you heard' that he made a disparaging comment? Interesting.

So you weren't there but 'you heard' that he made a disparaging comment? Interesting.
Yeah, the guy he made it to told me what he said. Not complicated, but think what you want.
I also pointed out his buddy, the previous Minnesota OL coach told me about his and BFs feelings about ISU, which have now been confirmed publicly by BF.

And how exactly do you dig up these diamonds in the rough that no one else wants? His staff just sits at home and these guys just show up out of thin air right? Too many people equate Iowa's low rankings (by the recruiting experts), to being lazy. Not the case, but it does give the whiners another jumping off point. You yourself use the one year they had a highly ranked class as example. I'd say they have to work harder then most staffs to find under the radar guys. How hard is it really to recruit to Alabama, OSU, MIchigan?

Iowa would be a better overall program if they put in that work on "real" recruits than constantly digging for diamonds.

There are many Hawk fans on this very board that are upset annually because KF has to go scrambling to poach MAC recruits late in the cycle. Perhaps it would help to shift focus a little bit and worry about diamonds as a last resort.

Iowa would be a better overall program if they put in that work on "real" recruits than constantly digging for diamonds.

There are many Hawk fans on this very board that are upset annually because KF has to go scrambling to poach MAC recruits late in the cycle. Perhaps it would help to shift focus a little bit and worry about diamonds as a last resort.
Iowa offers plenty of 4* recruits - and as Kirk puts it "Ones my sister even knows is a good football player". You know what happens when you recruit mostly in the Big 10 footprint? The Ohio States/Michigans/Notre Dames treat Iowa like Iowa treats the MAC schools. Iowa has done pretty well in the past, but they will rarely win those recruiting battles unless there is more focus on recruiting hotbeds outside of that footprint or continuing to try to find diamonds.

Iowa recruiting has been good enough to kick UNL up and down the field. Recruiting ratings mean nothing except maybe to the elite programs which UNL is not included. Recruiting rankings only matter to those who don't get it done on the field. Just ask Bill Callahan.

KF is not the one spouting off, nor would he. Inexperienced junior is and looks bush league doing it.

Reactions: ISUFBGuy
Yeah, the guy he made it to told me what he said. Not complicated, but think what you want.
I also pointed out his buddy, the previous Minnesota OL coach told me about his and BFs feelings about ISU, which have now been confirmed publicly by BF.

So all 2nd hand recollections? Got it.

"I was present when BF visited" if you were present and heard him, that is first hand.
My god cid, are you reading my post thoroughly. I spoke directly to the Minnesota OL coach Bart Miller (now at the AF Academy), BF's really good buddy, for over an hour. He shared his views and what he and BF believed with me directly.
So one firsthand account, and two secondhand accounts.
But you know better about Iowa State's recruiting practices b/c you heard BF's opinion on a podcast?
Ok, got it.

My god cid, are you reading my post thoroughly. I spoke directly to the Minnesota OL coach Bart Miller (now at the AF Academy), BF's really good buddy, for over an hour. He shared his views and what he and BF believed with me directly.
But you know better about Iowa State's recruiting practices b/c you heard BF's opinion on a podcast?
Ok, got it.
Ok, got it.

Perhaps if you weren't portraying yourself as the all knowing antagonist on this thread I would have let it slide. You call people out for things and then present a 2nd hand opinion as if you heard it 1st hand. I don't pretend to know the inner workings of ISU recruiting. Nor will I be on an ISU forum defending Iowa if they choose to make negative comments about how Iowa recruits. The greatest majority of information on these boards is 2nd hand. You know as well as I do that the truth isn't going to be told in its entirety. Every school pushes the envelope, some more than others. The good stories are after a beer or two after coaching at a camp. ISU may be successful in their approach, my choice would be closer to how Iowa does it.

Perhaps if you weren't portraying yourself as the all knowing antagonist on this thread I would have let it slide. You call people out for things and then present a 2nd hand opinion as if you heard it 1st hand. I don't pretend to know the inner workings of ISU recruiting. Nor will I be on an ISU forum defending Iowa if they choose to make negative comments about how Iowa recruits. The greatest majority of information on these boards is 2nd hand. You know as well as I do that the truth isn't going to be told in its entirety. Every school pushes the envelope, some more than others. The good stories are after a beer or two after coaching at a camp. ISU may be successful in their approach, my choice would be closer to how Iowa does it.
Great. Have that argument with someone else. My criticism has been solely of BF speaking out publicly about geographic rivals and, if we're talking in absolutes as he appeared to be in criticizing others for not sticking by their word as Iowa does if you commit, his hypocrisy in pulling an offer from a commit after a poor senior season whether it was justified or not demonstrates that Iowa's word is NOT what he said it was. It may be justified. He may be right to pull the offer from the recruit as Homer suggested, but BF is suggesting others aren't as ethical as Iowa is.
There are a few Iowa posters that are in agreement with me about his outspokenness.

And his comment was about the Iowa coaches being lazy, or didn't you read that?
He was trolling you and you took the bait. I'm sure he had a chuckle. I would in no way say that Iowa coaches were lazy. Maybe BF is lazy in his public speaking discipline, but not in his effort. Maybe he's feeling a little more pressure in recruiting and that's why he's spouting off.

BTW, you seem to be the one that plays the "all knowing" opinion here. Tell us about your kids that were recruited in girls volleyball or whatever, and extrapolate that to college football recruiting. It really bugs you that someone might have some insight that you don't.
Hey, you're welcome to your opinion and using your experiences to develop one. It's just too bad that sometimes others have a little more insight on some situations. Get over it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT