ADVERTISEMENT

Bruce Herrald hopes by June 1 teams can meet/practice. ND students back on campus for Aug 10 classes

The problem that SK and Japan have had in opening sports is that when they try to even start practice it is a stop and go type thing because they are testing people and then when someone gets it they basically have to shut it down test everyone again make sure people are good to go and then start up and then someone gets it etc.

I also hope that happens. However, like Bruce's opinion, it is based on nothing other than hope and a desire for things to return to normal, not evidence or science. My hope to win the lottery and move to a Tuscan villa is similarly valid.
and it will be the NCAA making decisions for all of D1 football

The University of Iowa won't be making these timeline decisions on their own.

What we should be worried about is if it is not safe for Syracuse, Rutgers, LSU, etc (hot spot areas of the country) to re-open, then that issue will likely hold all D1 programs back, too

Our politicians need to get them supplies,period,!!
No excuse to be using items too long and using expired items. Start getting them made here
..those are jobs worth sending folks to work for! Why don't i see all the economy whiners talking about that! Why isn't 3m ramping up in house production,?

Do you folks not see how much this stuff is spreading at places like the meat plants? You want everything to go back to 2019 at the flip of a switch, well dream on. Blame the government blame corporate America and blame China.....this is 2020 bud.

BTW it hasn't been years it's been weeks lmfao

When you find that magic wand the world will be like Disney World open only to you.

All you that want to hibernate for months and years, remember what this started out as. It wasn't to stop people from catching it, it was to not overwhelm the hospitals. Now some smaller hospitals in rural areas are closing due to losing money. And about the only place where hospitals are swamped is NYC and a few other towns in the area.

And as long as their guvment check keeps a coming, they will stay in the basement, hibernating.

I'm glad President Harreld is optimistic about Football.

Well....here's a better indicator than Bruce's "hopes."

From the weekly University of Iowa email today...all UI summer courses will be online and all other summer programming - youth sports camps, wildlife camps, conferences & meetings etc. - have been canceled. So for all intents and purposes, the UI campus will be closed until fall semester, at least.

And those people should stay home. Everyone else, back to normal(ish) life.
Or not.

As long as we're short on ppe etc we need to stay locked down, to some degree. It's not just about covid19...it's about other lives lost because we don't have enough people supplies etc to deal with everything. Government still dropping the ball big time. If long term immunity can be proven and not assumed then I can see speeding things up during the flus down season.

And as long as their guvment check keeps a coming, they will stay in the basement, hibernating.

I'm glad President Harreld is optimistic about Football.

For the least at risk it is go time. I am to the point where I'd get the shit and stay in for the 2 weeks if I havent already had it. Lots would not even know they had it already so they need to be checking that as well.

Or not.

As long as we're short on ppe etc we need to stay locked down, to some degree. It's not just about covid19...it's about other lives lost because we don't have enough people supplies etc to deal with everything. Government still dropping the ball big time. If long term immunity can be proven and not assumed then I can see speeding things up during the flus down season.

What does this even mean? The whole point of the lockdowns was to flatten the curve to prevent the overrun of hospitals and the health system. That happened, and only exceptions where there were any shortages fo beds was NYC and NJ. Which have now passed. It is a virus, there is no "solving" it short of a vaccine (unlikely for wide public consumption in the next 12 months) or a highly effective treatment program (could happen). Study published today asserts there was no real difference in countries where lockdowns occurred and those that didn't. I don't blame leaders for implementing the lockdowns, they didn't know what we were dealing with in March.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.24.20078717v1.full.pdf

Another study from Japan indicates that the real number of people in Kobe, Japan who have had the virus already is 396 times to 858 times more than the people who have tested positive.
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.26.20079822v1.full.pdf

This is actually good news, as it means the virus is less deadly than feared and huge amounts of people have had it with no/few symptoms, at least not serious enough to be tested. I don't mean to lessen deaths, as every life lost is to be grieved. But there is an argument to be made about the best way forward. Is locking everything down until some miracle is found? I would say no.

Maybe the player should not visit grandparents or the children’s hospital.

no contact was about slowing the virus down and not flooding hospitals. That goal has been accomplished. The goal was never to eliminate the virus. We need a vaccine for that. A vaccine that may never happen. Life will have to go on and those at greatest risk need to take action to limit their chances at exposure.
Sooooo now we are back to where we started ......everyone stay away from everyone ....around and around we go!!

Reactions: unclesammy
What does this even mean? The whole point of the lockdowns was to flatten the curve to prevent the overrun of hospitals and the health system. That happened, and only exceptions where there were any shortages fo beds was NYC and NJ. Which have now passed. It is a virus, there is no "solving" it short of a vaccine (unlikely for wide public consumption in the next 12 months) or a highly effective treatment program (could happen). Study published today asserts there was no real difference in countries where lockdowns occurred and those that didn't. I don't blame leaders for implementing the lockdowns, they didn't know what we were dealing with in March.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.24.20078717v1.full.pdf

Another study from Japan indicates that the real number of people in Kobe, Japan who have had the virus already is 396 times to 858 times more than the people who have tested positive.
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.26.20079822v1.full.pdf

This is actually good news, as it means the virus is less deadly than feared and huge amounts of people have had it with no/few symptoms, at least not serious enough to be tested. I don't mean to lessen deaths, as every life lost is to be grieved. But there is an argument to be made about the best way forward. Is locking everything down until some miracle is found? I would say no.
13 % of people hospitalized currently in Iowa were admitted today, we haven't flattened we just delayed if we keep letting numbers go up.
Everything is not locked down. I know lots of people still working, at work and from home. What exactly needs opened? People don't need to sit in restaurants to eat. They don't need to gather in bars to drink and get drunk. We don't need to have big parties right now. We don't need crowded event centers movie theaters etc. So on and so on...

Reactions: not_mantiteo
13 % of people hospitalized currently in Iowa were admitted today, we haven't flattened we just delayed if we keep letting numbers go up.
Everything is not locked down. I know lots of people still working, at work and from home. What exactly needs opened? People don't need to sit in restaurants to eat. They don't need to gather in bars to drink and get drunk. We don't need to have big parties right now. We don't need crowded event centers movie theaters etc. So on and so on...

Without business there is massive unemployment. With massive unemployment come more types of death. TN suicide rate higher than Covid19. It will get worse. Some states pushing back. It will get ugly. We let hardened prisoners go while arresting people walking on the beach or in the park with their child. It’s messed up beyond belief.

There is absolutely no reason why healthy young adults cannot be in proximity to one another. There have been TWO (yes, 2) deaths from COVID among active military, which entails around 1.3 million people from 18-middle age. The risk of dying from heat exhaustion or injury far surpasses the risk of dying from COVID for this demographic.

How many athletes involved in Iowa Athletics experience hypertension, obesity, diabetes and are over the age of 60? I know there is a little more to it than this. However, it is your choice if you want to live in a cave and not come out. Is there risk? Sure. However, the alternative is to shut down the world and I don’t believe that will end well. Check out the number of lives the A1 (H1N1) Virus has claimed every year since 2009. You may be shocked.

Was walking to a fly fishing hole by my house the other day out in the Mountain West (We haven't been hit that hard) and came across a 98 year old WWII vet out on his daily walk. He stopped me to talk. Kept talking about coronavirus and everyone living in caves in fear. Basically said he takes advantage of every day of his life. Said he's had friends die in battle next to him, a brother die in a car accident at 22 years of age, and loved ones die early. He's been told many times by Dr.s not to do this or that because of his health for the last 25 years. Told me if he would have listened he would have never lived this long and would have never experienced the full life he has lived. He believes he would have died many years ago of sadness and boredom. Told me he was glad to see me get out and do what I love to do during this time. For the critics out there I kept my distance and didn't want to talk but the old timer forced it because he loves people, loves conversation and loves to live his life on his terms. He is a great neighbor to have.

Bruce Harreld hasn’t been great, or bad, as a university president but god damn he knows how to get a reaction from certain people. He’s a pro

Reactions: iahawkeyes17
This has been a certifiable crap fest lead by those in this world that want to spread crisis and paranoia so they can gain control and leverage the situation for money. I thought climate change was going to kill everyone first?

According to real data, this virus was here in the US as early as December 31 circulating and we were going about our daily lives. Many already had this much earlier than the freak out in March. Should have gone the Sweden route.

We used to be the leader of the world not some global wussies.

There is absolutely no reason why healthy young adults cannot be in proximity to one another. There have been TWO (yes, 2) deaths from COVID among active military, which entails around 1.3 million people from 18-middle age. The risk of dying from heat exhaustion or injury far surpasses the risk of dying from COVID for this demographic.

This is true. If you applied it to football, it's very likely the players would be at more of a health risk from paralysis or long-term brain damage from concussions than from COVID-19.

This is a really interesting 20 min discussion.

The virus is always going to be around; so how do we safely start sports back up?

Watch/Listen here (skip ahead to the 1:50 mark):
https://twitter.com/i/broadcasts/1eaKbQQBQzBxX

You're getting to the heart of the matter Fran. Everyone (who is sane) wants lives to be protected and for us to be as safe as possible. The lockdowns really haven't/won't "stop" the virus. It will still exist barring some miracle vaccine or treatment. The lockdowns do get to the matter of "doing something" which so happen to coincide with the most massive loss of individual liberty in the nation's history.

As an aside, there was never a vaccine for the original SARS as it was not effective. More people are going to be infected with the virus. More people will die, especially if we don't protect the most vulnerable (those who are older and with compromised immune systems). But the data we have seen is that those under 30 are under near-zero threat of death from this, and those under 50, while more susceptible, are still at very low-risk categories. It would seem the best way forward is some Sweden-like model where large gathering are prohibited, and smart social distancing is in place, but we build toward community immunity.

Bruce Harreld hasn’t been great, or bad, as a university president but god damn he knows how to get a reaction from certain people. He’s a pro

Bruce has been excellent, way above average in his support for Univ of Iowa athletics. And since he took over as President, U of IOwa athletics have thrived and been excellent. #gohawks

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
You're getting to the heart of the matter Fran. Everyone (who is sane) wants lives to be protected and for us to be as safe as possible. The lockdowns really haven't/won't "stop" the virus. It will still exist barring some miracle vaccine or treatment. The lockdowns do get to the matter of "doing something" which so happen to coincide with the most massive loss of individual liberty in the nation's history.

As an aside, there was never a vaccine for the original SARS as it was not effective. More people are going to be infected with the virus. More people will die, especially if we don't protect the most vulnerable (those who are older and with compromised immune systems). But the data we have seen is that those under 30 are under near-zero threat of death from this, and those under 50, while more susceptible, are still at very low-risk categories. It would seem the best way forward is some Sweden-like model where large gathering are prohibited, and smart social distancing is in place, but we build toward community immunity.

I assume you live in Iowa. I live in MN. MN extended its stay at home order until Monday, May 18. But people are going outside, taking walks, and going to the grocery and big box stores.

And like you said, the virus will continue to spread and people will continue to die from it no matter what a state's governor does; the only way I believe we slow it is if everyone washes their hands several times daily and if EVERYONE is wearing a mask publicly.

Industries (beauty salons, barbershops, health club, etc) are preparing plans to keep customers safe and they can only re-open if the governor signs off on it. It appears MN will allow beauty salons to open soon but only if everyone inside has a mask on. Health clubs might be doing the same thing. Working out with a mask on would be interesting.

Here are some interesting stats for MN:

* Story from yesterday: Of the 343 deaths statewide in Minnesota from the virus, 271 have been in long-term care facilities

* 47 of the 343 dead came from ONE nursing home.

Link to that story: https://www.startribune.com/deadly-...ad-and-130-sickened-by-coronavirus/570080252/

I assume you live in Iowa. I live in MN. MN extended its stay at home order until Monday, May 18. But people are going outside, taking walks, and going to the grocery and big box stores.

And like you said, the virus will continue to spread and people will continue to die from it no matter what a state's governor does; the only way I believe we slow it is if everyone washes their hands several times daily and if EVERYONE is wearing a mask publicly.

Industries (beauty salons, barbershops, health club, etc) are preparing plans to keep customers safe and they can only re-open if the governor signs off on it. It appears MN will allow beauty salons to open soon but only if everyone inside has a mask on. Health clubs might be doing the same thing. Working out with a mask on would be interesting.

Here are some interesting stats for MN:

* Story from yesterday: Of the 343 deaths statewide in Minnesota from the virus, 271 have been in long-term care facilities

* 47 of the 343 dead came from ONE nursing home.

Link to that story: https://www.startribune.com/deadly-...ad-and-130-sickened-by-coronavirus/570080252/

Don't live in Iowa. Another Midwest state. The way this thing has ripped through the nursing homes is a tragedy. Here too, people are going outside and they should be. DHS published a report that the virus does not stand up to heat and sunlight. Plus Vitamin D does people good. Get outside, breathe fresh air and get exercise. Boosting your overall health helps your immune system.

Practicing good hygiene helps, as with any virus. Glad to see the states are re-opening.

13% looks like a very manageable flattened curve. How many were released? What is the usual % of new patients admitted? Just throwing "13%" out there means squat.

I am for opening most things up with some safety precautions and tight safty precautions on the vulnerable.

13% looks like a very manageable flattened curve. How many were released? What is the usual % of new patients admitted? Just throwing "13%" out there means squat.

I am for opening most things up with some safety precautions and tight safty precautions on the vulnerable.
Safety precautions don't work, too many stupid people. 13% might be manageable but open up and turn into 40% then we're running out of supplies again. Rush things and supplies will run out....

Reactions: not_mantiteo
Safety precautions don't work, too many stupid people. 13% might be manageable but open up and turn into 40% then we're running out of supplies again. Rush things and supplies will run out....

if we run out of supplies now when having had time to get caught up then we are stupid. We certainly have enough ventilators as we have seen. Would be hard to believe we can't crank out the N95 masks and gloves quickly enough.

COVID is less deadly among youth than regular flus are. Just amazing no fuss about that. Some say 1 death is too many but they are dead silent when its non-Covid. Certainly not hysteria levels like this.

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
Schools will be back in person in August. The data will back that up as being less deadly than regular flu, even without any kind of vaccination like regular flus have available. They may force mask wearing and spreading kids apart in rooms, but they will be back. You can't do actions more strict/severe for COVID and not do it for flu as flu is more deadly among youth.

if we run out of supplies now when having had time to get caught up then we are stupid. We certainly have enough ventilators as we have seen. Would be hard to believe we can't crank out the N95 masks and gloves quickly enough.
You'd think but politicians suck. You'd also think we still wouldn't be turning people away for testing :(

Schools will be back in person in August. The data will back that up as being less deadly than regular flu, even without any kind of vaccination like regular flus have available. They may force mask wearing and spreading kids apart in rooms, but they will be back. You can't do actions more strict/severe for COVID and not do it for flu as flu is more deadly among youth.
Did the flu cause worldwide shortages on ppe? Need the worthless gov and greedy corps to make more things outside of China, preferably here...even if it creates a smaller profit.

Did the flu cause worldwide shortages on ppe? Need the worthless gov and greedy corps to make more things outside of China, preferably here...even if it creates a smaller profit.

Okay so we are getting to where we have enough and we know this is out there for a while yet, so we run out now it is all on us for being stupid. And yeah China knew and was acting in their own interest until it got out. I agree get this stuff and most everything else out of China.

You'd think but politicians suck. You'd also think we still wouldn't be turning people away for testing :(

If someone is not having breathing issues or fever of 103 or whatever then what does a test matter? You have to quarantine yourself if they are not going to hospitalize you. Just because you test positive does not mean they are going to admit you to the hospital anyway. You have to be getting hit pretty bad before they do.

And the dirty little secret is that everyone who cannot quarantine for 12 months will end up getting this virus. They said they didn't want hospitals overwhelmed and to catch up on PPE and testing. Hospitals are good, PPE is caught up or near that point and testing within a month should be a lot more robust. Fear is not an at risk factor. And if this doesn't show people the importance of having some fitness regimen then I don't know what shows it.

If someone is not having breathing issues or fever of 103 or whatever then what does a test matter? You have to quarantine yourself if they are not going to hospitalize you. Just because you test positive does not mean they are going to admit you to the hospital anyway. You have to be getting hit pretty bad before they do.

And the dirty little secret is that everyone who cannot quarantine for 12 months will end up getting this virus. They said they didn't want hospitals overwhelmed and to catch up on PPE and testing. Hospitals are good, PPE is caught up or near that point and testing within a month should be a lot more robust. Fear is not an at risk factor. And if this doesn't show people the importance of having some fitness regimen then I don't know what shows it.
I think knowing if you have it or if you've had it is important to many and should be to all.

I'm not a fan of dealing in shoulds and coulds. Ppe is certainly not caught up from what I hear, though likely varies from place to place.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT