ADVERTISEMENT

Buckle up Hawks, we are going on a freaking awesome years long ride...

I only have a few concerns for this year- o line, TE (even though I shouldn't) and running back.

For the future, I am really excited. These are some pretty solid recruiting classes. Just have to keep them coming in!

It’s not about 8-5. It’s about who you think has the best likelihood to lead Iowa to the most wins.

80% or more believe in Ferentz.

Seriously who else do you want? If you could steal a coach in the B1G would you take one, or stand pat?

It’s not about 8-5. It’s about who you think has the best likelihood to lead Iowa to the most wins.

Seriously who else do you want? If you could steal a coach in the B1G would you take one, or stand pat?

Very few, but funny that you mention "pat."

Pet Fitzgerald is the only one I'd consider. Maybe Paul Chryst.

Here are Kirk's records against the current Big Ten coaches as well as Matt Campbell in case anyone was wondering:

Matt Campbell 3-0
Lovie Smith 3-0
Tom Allen 1-0
Mike Locksley 1-0
Jim Harbaugh 1-0
Mark Dantonio 3-5
PJ Fleck 3-0
Scott Frost 1-0
Pat Fitzgerald 5-8
Ryan Day 0-0
James Franklin 0-2
Jeff Brohm 0-2
Chris Ash 1-0
Paul Chryst 2-3

Reactions: sltldowney
My only concerns going forward are wideout and D-end for the future teams (‘20 and ‘21) If we are going to take a step forward, I.e a 9 or 10 win team every year. We need to have game breaker talent at those two positions. Our Oline is shaping up very well along with our defensive back 7. Running back is set and QB might have a couple NFL guys in the room.

The future looks undeniably bright. The facilities coupled with recent NFL prestige are paying big dividends right now.

Also, saying ‘20 and ‘21 are going to be great seasons doesn’t require ‘19 to be subpar. It’s more of a statement about the health of the program. The new young core of coaches are getting it done on the road.

8-5, 8-5, 8-5, 8-5, 8-5

boy can't wait

One of the big reasons why Ferentz has stuck around so long is because he's proven that 8 wins is not the ceiling.

If Ferentz finished with 7-9 wins every year (i.e., no top 10 finishes in '02, '03, '04, '09, or '15) then there's a good chance he would have been shown the door similar to Tom Davis.

Also, saying ‘20 and ‘21 are going to be great seasons doesn’t require ‘19 to be subpar. It’s more of a statement about the health of the program. The new young core of coaches are getting it done on the road.
Thank you, that was my intention all along I didn't portray that well in my OP.

Reactions: Hawk94Mn
How about we win this year instead of waiting again until next year.
Agree, though a daunting schedule in 2019 I think this years squad will end up being better then last year, and if Stanley has improved like he should have could be the difference. I wasn't insinuating that at all in my OP but I wasn't very clear about 2019 either. KF 4.0 and off to the sunset is in full swing 3-5 year window of fun.

Reactions: rchawk
Agree, though a daunting schedule in 2019 I think this years squad will end up being better then last year, and if Stanley has improved like he should have could be the difference. I wasn't insinuating that at all in my OP but I wasn't very clear about 2019 either. KF 4.0 and off to the sunset is in full swing 3-5 year window of fun.
A 4-5 year window of fun would be magnificent. I hope you are right.

Reactions: ChisHawk81
Swarm 2020 is legit, talent on team now and the development by the Coaches it is going to be a fun time to be a Hawkeye!!!!! Get me back to Indy Asap boys and this time we close the deal!!
Lines right up with Kirk’s trends:
04 to 09 - 5 years
09 to 15 - 6 years
15 to 20/21 - 5 to 6 years
Just trying to figure out. Can’t!

One of the big reasons why Ferentz has stuck around so long is because he's proven that 8 wins is not the ceiling.

If Ferentz finished with 7-9 wins every year (i.e., no top 10 finishes in '02, '03, '04, '09, or '15) then there's a good chance he would have been shown the door similar to Tom Davis.
The only door Kirk would be shown is if he doesn't know where the bathroom is.

Dabo or someone like him.

Someone that tells his players we are going to win a Championship now lets go out and do it.

Instead we get Kirk.

We were fortunate to have an NFL caliber QB(that Kirk tried his best to bench indefinitely) and a schedule that included 4 of the teams firing their coaches or just having fired their coaches in 2015. No MSU/OSU/PSU. If that happens every five years for Kirk well then that is super swell.

We were fortunate to have an NFL caliber QB(that Kirk tried his best to bench indefinitely) and a schedule that included 4 of the teams firing their coaches or just having fired their coaches in 2015. No MSU/OSU/PSU. If that happens every five years for Kirk well then that is super swell.

You seem like a miserable person.

I agree with the OP, the last years of the KF era will be the best. He will go out with a few BIG Championships.

I think 9-10 wins the next couple years but when this 2020 class (which should finish in the top 15 or so) has a 2 or 3 years under their belt they can make that CFP run that is the only thing left for KF to accomplish.

I think 9-10 wins the next couple years but when this 2020 class (which should finish in the top 15 or so) has a 2 or 3 years under their belt they can make that CFP run that is the only thing left for KF to accomplish.
Love it, I would take a BIG West and BIG title win in Indy as his final accomplishment for sure. GET ME BACK TO INDY!!!!!! 2015 was such an amazing time, until the last 25 seconds happened.

Reactions: naturalmwa
Could have a better team, but a worse record.

Could have a better team, but a worse record.
That is what I'm prepping for, the schedule is downright nasty. Just very stoked about the recruiting classes of recent and 2020 being developed by this staff and the incoming seasons. KF 4.0 and riding into the sunset on top is in full swing.

You seem like a miserable person.

Anyone who doesn’t tow the company line is a “miserable person - goofer fan, clown fan, debbie fan”.

I can’t say I share the optimism.

The West now, and moving forward, is harder than it’s ever been.

Purdue is getting better. Minnesota is getting better. Nebraska is getting better. All 3 are much improved than they were the last 3-4 years. All 3 have good to great coaching staffs, something that hasn’t been the case in the past. Northwestern just won’t the Division and Wisconsin isn’t going away, in fact they just signed the best prospect at QB that maybe they’ve had in a LONG time.

Yet, Kirk couldn’t capitalize. It took missing all the big boys, all the East powers, and catching the traditional “better” West teams on a down year in 2015 to win our side of the Conference. Nothing since then.

And now, moving forward, we’re setting expectations against Kirk to “ride off into the sunset - Kirk 8.0” or whatever hell you wanna call it and dominate the West. When Purdue, Minny and Nubs are trending up and NW fresh off a title and Wiscy with a heisman RB and young 5 star QB talent, and NOW is the time Kirk is gonna really take over????

Cmon man. Get real. We all know what’s coming. Hoping and wishing isn’t going to suddenly make us rip off 3 straight West titles.

Anyone who doesn’t tow the company line is a “miserable person - goofer fan, clown fan, debbie fan”.

I can’t say I share the optimism.

The West now, and moving forward, is harder than it’s ever been.

Purdue is getting better. Minnesota is getting better. Nebraska is getting better. All 3 are much improved than they were the last 3-4 years. All 3 have good to great coaching staffs, something that hasn’t been the case in the past. Northwestern just won’t the Division and Wisconsin isn’t going away, in fact they just signed the best prospect at QB that maybe they’ve had in a LONG time.

Yet, Kirk couldn’t capitalize. It took missing all the big boys, all the East powers, and catching the traditional “better” West teams on a down year in 2015 to win our side of the Conference. Nothing since then.

And now, moving forward, we’re setting expectations against Kirk to “ride off into the sunset - Kirk 8.0” or whatever hell you wanna call it and dominate the West. When Purdue, Minny and Nubs are trending up and NW fresh off a title and Wiscy with a heisman RB and young 5 star QB talent, and NOW is the time Kirk is gonna really take over????

Cmon man. Get real. We all know what’s coming. Hoping and wishing isn’t going to suddenly make us rip off 3 straight West titles.
20 seconds I'll never get back.

You can’t have a recruiting class 90% full of 5.6 Three Stars and make a run for the CFP

Just. Isn’t. Happening. We don’t recruit well enough for that. Kirk doesn’t recruit well enough for that.

Do you guys realize we just lost a boatload of All American talent and first rounders and the West is getting harder and NOW you think is the time we’re gonna really turn it on?!

Other than blind optimism, why does that make any sense?

You can’t have a recruiting class 90% full of 5.6 Three Stars and make a run for the CFP

Just. Isn’t. Happening. We don’t recruit well enough for that. Kirk doesn’t recruit well enough for that.

Do you guys realize we just lost a boatload of All American talent and first rounders and the West is getting harder and NOW you think is the time we’re gonna really turn it on?!

Other than blind optimism, why does that make any sense?
What was the All Americans Star ratings you mentioned here that we lost out of curiosity?

And yet all we have to show for it is another 8 win regular season. Which happens to be Kirk’s ceiling. Water heads like yourself suddenly think we’re making a run at the CFP.
Well, what was it? He can't make Stanley throw a pass to a wide open Hockenson with literally no one in the TV screen by him vs Ped, or a player running into a kick vs Wiscy giving them a gift TD. Iowa was a few bone headed plays away from a Damn fine season last year. I expect some lessons from last year and some chips on shoulders for this year, but the schedule is so daunting I would be semi surprised they win more then 9 but the talent is there.

Well, what was it? He can't make Stanley throw a pass to a wide open Hockenson with literally no one in the TV screen by him vs Ped, or a player running into a kick vs Wiscy giving them a gift TD. Iowa was a few bone headed plays away from a Damn fine season last year. I expect some lessons from last year and some chips on shoulders for this year, but the schedule is so daunting I would be semi surprised they win more then 9 but the talent is there.

Exactly. Stanley is Stanley. He isn’t Tua or Lawrence or an elite QB. His downfield accuracy, especially outside of 20 yards, isn’t good.

We also damn near got beat by debbie because Kirk made a terrible call.

We lack playmakers. We always have. Kirk is Kirk, he recruits like Kirk always has and coaches like Kirk always has.

Our schedule IS tougher this year!!! Much tougher! The West is improving! That’s why we missed our window, and to think “oh suddenly we are headed for a couple elite seasons and maybe a CFP” is insane. It’s fools gold. Kirk was on his way out after 2014 but that ‘15 season saved his ass. Putting these unreal expectations on him (this thread) will only help speed up the process of the disappointment which will lay ahead.

It’s gonna be another year of 7-9 wins. Hell 8-9 wins would be GREAT with this schedule in this division, and that’s the reality of it.

Reactions: KenBiscutmit
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT