ADVERTISEMENT

Buying Legal Weed

One of my old employees who smoked the " chronic " daily for 48 years, has to take 3 rest breaks to walk to his mailbox and back to get his government disability check...

3 of of my uncles died with livers destroyed from alcohol and the related terrible effect it had on family lives. Everyone has seen examples of this.

Bullshit on COPD from strictly pot smoking. "Gateway drug" is a concept of social butterflies, outcasts and paranoids.

3 of of my uncles died with livers destroyed from alcohol and the related terrible effect it had on family lives. Everyone has seen examples of this.

Bullshit on COPD from strictly pot smoking. "Gateway drug" is a concept of social butterflies, outcasts and paranoids.
Here's where I somewhat buy the "gateway" thing. In college I was introduced to marijuana. It was/is illegal in Iowa, so I had to get it from a dealer if I wanted to smoke. A lot of those dealers only had weed. Some of them also had psychedelics, some of them harder drugs. Marijuana is a lot more popular than psychedelics and harder drugs, so it's a lot less likely I would have casually encountered someone with other stuff if I was just getting bud at a dispensary like a liquor store.

But THC does not make you ache for smack.

Alcohol: What you think is happening vs what is really happening

maxresdefault.jpg

1, 3, 7, 11, 5, 12........

Reactions: dgordo
i hope that none of you that are buying "legal" weed own firearms.

weed is illegal under federal law. its against federal law to posses a firearm while being an illegal drug user.

Incorrect

In Illinois, cannabis users are no longer considered illegal drug users, and can own firearms:

Although Cannabis Consumers Who Own Firearms Are Federal Felons, Illinois Says They Can Keep Their Guns
The Illinois State Police confirms that people who try newly legal marijuana are not considered "unlawful users" of narcotics.
JACOB SULLUM | 1.2.2020 1:30 PM

Cannabis consumers in Illinois, where state-licensed marijuana dispensaries started serving recreational customers yesterday, will pay more in taxes than cannabis consumers in most other states that have legalized pot. But at least they do not have to worry that the state police will be coming for their guns, thanks to protections included in the 2019 law that allows adults 21 or older to purchase and use marijuana.

Federal law prohibits gun possession by any "unlawful user" of a controlled substance, including marijuana. When you buy a firearm from a federally licensed dealer, you have to fill out a form that asks, "Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance?" The question includes a warning that "the use or possession of marijuana remains unlawful under Federal law regardless of whether it has been legalized or decriminalized for medicinal or recreational purposes in the state where you reside."

A cannabis consumer who possesses a gun is committing a federal felony punishable by up to 10 years in prison. A cannabis consumer who answers "no" to the question about illegal drug use while buying a gun is committing another federal felony, punishable by up to five years in prison.

Illinois likewise prohibits anyone who has used an illegal drug during the past year from obtaining a firearm owner's identification (FOID) card, which is required to legally own a gun in that state. But the Illinois Cannabis Regulation and Tax Act, which the state legislature passed last year, says "a person shall not be considered an unlawful user…solely as a result of his or her possession or use of cannabis or cannabis paraphernalia in accordance with this Act." This week the Illinois State Police (ISP), which oversees the FOID program, confirmed in a Facebook post that, notwithstanding news reports to the contrary, it will not revoke cards "based solely on a person's legal use of adult use cannabis."

The ISP added that it "will revoke FOID cards where it is demonstrated that an individual is addicted to or is a habitual user of cannabis" (whatever that means). It also warned that "the use of cannabis is still considered to be illegal by the Federal government," and "the purchase of a firearm from a federally licensed firearms dealer is governed by Federal law." So are the possession of firearms and purchases from private sellers, although the ISP did not mention that.

What about the risk that buying marijuana from a state-licensed retailer will tip off the feds? The Cannabis Regulation and Tax Act says that "any identifying or personal information of a [marijuana] purchaser obtained or received in accordance with this Section shall not be retained, used, shared or disclosed for any purpose except as authorized by this Act." Because of that provision, says Ed Sullivan, a former state legislator who is now a lobbyist for the Illinois State Rifle Association, "no cannabis dispensary can share your personal information, unless you authorize them, [with] anyone or any entity. This includes the Illinois State Police (ISP) and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms & Explosives (ATF)."

Sullivan warns, however, that the federal government may have access to information about Illinois patients who participate in the state's pre-existing medical marijuana program. "While Illinois treats cannabis as a prescribed drug, the Federal Government considers cannabis to be a Schedule I narcotic," he writes. "As such, the Federal Government could gain access to your records as a Medical Cannabis User and therefore jeopardize your right to purchase a firearm from a Federal Firearm License[e]."

Incorrect

In Illinois, cannabis users are no longer considered illegal drug users, and can own firearms:

Although Cannabis Consumers Who Own Firearms Are Federal Felons, Illinois Says They Can Keep Their Guns
The Illinois State Police confirms that people who try newly legal marijuana are not considered "unlawful users" of narcotics.
JACOB SULLUM | 1.2.2020 1:30 PM

Cannabis consumers in Illinois, where state-licensed marijuana dispensaries started serving recreational customers yesterday, will pay more in taxes than cannabis consumers in most other states that have legalized pot. But at least they do not have to worry that the state police will be coming for their guns, thanks to protections included in the 2019 law that allows adults 21 or older to purchase and use marijuana.

Federal law prohibits gun possession by any "unlawful user" of a controlled substance, including marijuana. When you buy a firearm from a federally licensed dealer, you have to fill out a form that asks, "Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance?" The question includes a warning that "the use or possession of marijuana remains unlawful under Federal law regardless of whether it has been legalized or decriminalized for medicinal or recreational purposes in the state where you reside."

A cannabis consumer who possesses a gun is committing a federal felony punishable by up to 10 years in prison. A cannabis consumer who answers "no" to the question about illegal drug use while buying a gun is committing another federal felony, punishable by up to five years in prison.

Illinois likewise prohibits anyone who has used an illegal drug during the past year from obtaining a firearm owner's identification (FOID) card, which is required to legally own a gun in that state. But the Illinois Cannabis Regulation and Tax Act, which the state legislature passed last year, says "a person shall not be considered an unlawful user…solely as a result of his or her possession or use of cannabis or cannabis paraphernalia in accordance with this Act." This week the Illinois State Police (ISP), which oversees the FOID program, confirmed in a Facebook post that, notwithstanding news reports to the contrary, it will not revoke cards "based solely on a person's legal use of adult use cannabis."

The ISP added that it "will revoke FOID cards where it is demonstrated that an individual is addicted to or is a habitual user of cannabis" (whatever that means). It also warned that "the use of cannabis is still considered to be illegal by the Federal government," and "the purchase of a firearm from a federally licensed firearms dealer is governed by Federal law." So are the possession of firearms and purchases from private sellers, although the ISP did not mention that.

What about the risk that buying marijuana from a state-licensed retailer will tip off the feds? The Cannabis Regulation and Tax Act says that "any identifying or personal information of a [marijuana] purchaser obtained or received in accordance with this Section shall not be retained, used, shared or disclosed for any purpose except as authorized by this Act." Because of that provision, says Ed Sullivan, a former state legislator who is now a lobbyist for the Illinois State Rifle Association, "no cannabis dispensary can share your personal information, unless you authorize them, [with] anyone or any entity. This includes the Illinois State Police (ISP) and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms & Explosives (ATF)."

Sullivan warns, however, that the federal government may have access to information about Illinois patients who participate in the state's pre-existing medical marijuana program. "While Illinois treats cannabis as a prescribed drug, the Federal Government considers cannabis to be a Schedule I narcotic," he writes. "As such, the Federal Government could gain access to your records as a Medical Cannabis User and therefore jeopardize your right to purchase a firearm from a Federal Firearm License[e]."

did you even read this?
just because Ill. says they arent going to enforce federal law doesnt mean that you are in the clear. not to mention if you travel out of Ill. and get pulled over smelling of weed and have a gun in your car.

maybe all of them or maybe none of them.

all im saying is its against federal law and its one that they seem to really like charging people with.
When feds want to press charges and prosecute, sure they get much tougher convictions and sentences when guns are involved. So when they bust a big time smack dealer, yes that's part of the prosecution. Since Colorado went legal and Obama's DOJ didn't act, they have not shown a willingness to get involved in legal weed states really and I don't think that's going to change for individuals who legally own guns and buy weed for private use. If they do decide to do anything, they're going to raid dispensaries and cultivation operations and give everyone a chance to flush their stashes at home.

Since Colorado went legal and Obama's DOJ didn't act, they have not shown a willingness to get involved in legal weed states really and I don't think that's going to change for individuals who legally own guns and buy weed for private use.

i would advise not leaving the legal weed state with a gun if you would test positive for drug use. just some friendly advise.

When feds want to press charges and prosecute, sure they get much tougher convictions and sentences when guns are involved. So when they bust a big time smack dealer, yes that's part of the prosecution

a lot more than big time dealers are charged with possession by a prohibited person

The only reason weed "is a gateway drug" is because the morons at DARE taught us all drugs were equally the devil growing up
Yep. My boomer parents, too. When they found out I wa ssmokin weed, they thought it was equal to heroin.. Luckily, my college-aged older sister calmed them down.

i would advise not leaving the legal weed state with a gun if you would test positive for drug use. just some friendly advise.

a lot more than big time dealers are charged with possession by a prohibited person
I dont have to worry, but I see your point. It would be real easy to cross reference a list of all Iowa pot buyers against the gun registrations.

One of my old employees who smoked the " chronic " daily for 48 years, has to take 3 rest breaks to walk to his mailbox and back to get his government disability check...

I think his issues are not related to his MJ use. I've been partaking in the MJ for nearly 40 years myself. I walk an average of about 3+ miles/day. No breaks required.

When feds want to press charges and prosecute, sure they get much tougher convictions and sentences when guns are involved. So when they bust a big time smack dealer, yes that's part of the prosecution. Since Colorado went legal and Obama's DOJ didn't act, they have not shown a willingness to get involved in legal weed states really and I don't think that's going to change for individuals who legally own guns and buy weed for private use. If they do decide to do anything, they're going to raid dispensaries and cultivation operations and give everyone a chance to flush their stashes at home.

If only we had some division of power to help make this more clear. Some type of rule set up that allowed the States to govern themselves as they set fit. I feel like there is some conservative principle that is always touted about who should have rights to govern the population.

weed is illegal under federal law. its against federal law to posses a firearm while being an illegal drug user.

I thought I read somewhere that in Illinois you can't have a medical card AND a concealed carry card. Not sure if that applies to recreational use as well? I do know that the devil's lettuce effects a person's memory, so I could be completely making that up.

It is really interesting how people choose to take something that is illegal rather than something that is totally legal really everywhere in this world. I have bought products that contain weed that are legal from the best CTB and Cannabidiol seller. I have bought a bunch of products made from weed. I have bought products for my hair that are made from weed. My hair is really fluffy, strong, and just how I want. I am surprised how well these products work. I have used thought that some products from weed would be so nice.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT