ADVERTISEMENT

Cable / Internet Bill

Magically went up $50 per month with mediacom. I'm telling them I'm cutting business with them unless they work out something for me.

A monopoly like mediacom should be broken up.

I just went from 25/10 to 100/100 (with fiber) and my bill dropped $3 per month

Magically went up $50 per month with mediacom. I'm telling them I'm cutting business with them unless they work out something for me.

It’s shrinkflation. I won’t bother telling you which party the founder supports…

mediacom?

Martin Lawrence Lol GIF by Martin

1). It’s regulated.
2). Not really a monopoly. Sure, it’s the exclusive cable provider in an area, but plenty of options for getting TV and internet signals.

The reason your bill went up is that they are losing customers. And do have to spread their massive fixed costs across fewer customers.

Reactions: GOHOX69 and goldmom
Mediacom is actually incentivizing their customers to switch from cable to an alternative streaming service, it’s obvious with their recent price hikes and technology upgrades that don’t actually fix their service quality. Hang around long enough they’ll eventually just drop the service completely.

Reactions: Mister Hawkeyes

I hope everyone reads this.

Mediacom will do that to you. You will sign up for a "promotion" when you first get Mediacom, and your bill will reflect whatever price that promotion offers. Say $65 for your first year or 2.

Once that promotion is done. Your bill goes up to whatever standard rate they want to impose on you. Whether it be a $50 increase or $100 increase. I still have yet to figure out their rhyme or reason on how they set those prices because it's way above market value.

So you give them a call and complain and they lower your bill a bit. They say they have another promotion that you can sign up for or they can shave $20 off the $50 increase. You have to tell them that's not good enough. You can sign up for "insert internet provider here" for half the cost. That's when the customer service employee is going to tell you they will get in contact with their promotions department and they may be able to help you further. Give them your information and have the promotion department call you when they are available. The last time I had to wait 4 or 5 hours for a call back.

The promotion department is going to call, and you need to tell them you can get the same internet speed, storage, etc. if you switch to "insert internet provider" for the price of $65 or whatever price point you're looking at, just don't get greedy.

Most likely they are going to tell you it will reflect on your next bill. Make sure you tell them to kick rocks, you want it applied now and for your current bill to reflect the new price, which they will agree.

Just be polite, but sound like you know what you're talking about. Sound like you've been shopping around, and you're being hosed on cost with Mediacom. Talk about how long you've been a Mediacom subscriber, and you don't want to leave, but at the end of the day, money talks. They'll bend over backwards for you.

Best of luck.

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
I pay $56 a month for 200/200 fiber. That's the lowest tier my cable company offers. They are upgrading the entire town from Coaxal to overhead Fiber. We have another provider in town offering fiber and Verizon just upgraded one tower to 5g and is offering home internet. Competition has been good.

To my knowledge, Google fiber is not in Ames yet. Metronet is the the only competitor that I'm aware of. And I don't like those asshats because even though I've had nothing to do with them, they cut my cable on a couple of occasions when they were installing lines.

To my knowledge, Google fiber is not in Ames yet. Metronet is the the only competitor that I'm aware of. And I don't like those asshats because even though I've had nothing to do with them, they cut my cable on a couple of occasions when they were installing lines.
The only regret I have leaving Sparklight/CableOne for Metronet is I didn't do it sooner.

Reactions: 3boysmom
We finally dropped mediacom at the last increase. We have Verizon internet with youtube tv for a third of what we were going to be paying. Should have done it years ago.

Reactions: KFsdisciple
Locked into 50 bucks a month for T-mobile net and split YouTube TV with family. We pay $90 total.

Can Youtube TV be used on multiple tvs? (we have 6 people here). Is it ala carte for channels?

I just haven't done the research. Frankly it shouldn't solely be my issue to deal with here, but it always has been.

I've said this before on here, but one of the most enjoyable things about me moving from CR to CF was when I got to walk into Mediacom w/ all their shit and tell them I was done.

giphy.gif

They are just so f'ing stupid in their business plan. F over the clients that have been with us the longest. Not sure how they think this business model is going to work.

Part the reason I have been hesitant is that I have not seen what the other products can provide.

Can Youtube TV be used on multiple tvs? (we have 6 people here). Is it ala carte for channels?

I just haven't done the research. Frankly it shouldn't solely be my issue to deal with here, but it always has been.
We just signed up for YouTube TV last week and you can have up to 6 accounts. It comes with like 100 channels and then you can add. It has BTN, FS1, FS2, 4 different ESPN channels, and CBS Sports. So it should have everything we need to watch the Hawks. It has a guide like our Directv had. And the first 3 months are $57.99 going to $72.99 after that.

My version of cutting the cord. I dropped mediacom and am using a hot spot from FirstNet. Last night we had two televisions streaming with two tablets also running. No buffering no issues. Our internet speed is down about 40% according to speed test but the cost went from 100 a month to 40. Bonus we can bring it along when we camp.

Wife and I both work from home/remote into the office. We have 1000 up/down and pay about $70/mo

Have YouTubeTV. If you pay for the 4k package you get unlimited sign-ons. We did that because my parents use my account and they typically have three tvs blasting fox news at all times.

For about $100 less per month you could have starlink @ $120 and YouTube tv base plan
@ $72.99. I added 4k plus for $9.99/month and Max for $15.99/month for an after tax total of $105.90 for my YTTV.

The 4k add on was because I share with my mom plus my sister logs on from Texas to watch Iowa games. That comes with unlimited streams.

So, no 5G Verizon or T Mobile available? Those are $50/month if my memory is good. All you need is good cell reception for either, and voila - there's your internet solved. Then add a streaming service and you're done for roughly $140/month.

So for those with YouTube TV, can my kids use my sign on?
My mom uses it 5 blocks from my house, My daughter uses it next door and my sister uses it 900 miles away in Frisco Texas. I had to add the family 4k package for $10 per month to get more than 3 simultaneous streams when my sister started using it.

So for those with YouTube TV, can my kids use my sign on?
I forgot to mention that my sister does have problems watching sports on local channels like cbs,nbc,Fox because she isn’t in the home market. But a decent digital antenna fixes that

Thanks so much everyone. I needed to hear it from others before I call mediacom again tomorrow. I'm going to quote numbers I get here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT