ADVERTISEMENT

Caitlin Clark will get the record at home.

Felt like every basket for Stuelke was a layup. Clark’s passing was amazing. Kate Martin with the 16/16 double double. Affolter had 10 rebounds. Big team win.
In the first couple pages of the game thread someone asked if Iowa even practices layups.

plotting episode 4 GIF

If Nebraska takes the same approach as PSU, not great. It's clear PSU was going to make sure Clark didn't beat them but they forgot about guarding Stuelke. I suspect most other teams won't do that though.

Clark will undoubtedly get it but she won't have the real record until she passes Lynette Woodard's 3649 points - a mind-boggling number considering there was no 3-pointer when she played. The only reason that isn't the NCAA record is that they fought Title IX tooth and nail for a decade forcing the women to organize under the AIAW. When the NCAA finally relented, they wanted to pretend that the AIAW never existed.

Reactions: desihawk
If Nebraska takes the same approach as PSU, not great. It's clear PSU was going to make sure Clark didn't beat them but they forgot about guarding Stuelke. I suspect most other teams won't do that though.
If I was playing Iowa I would make somebody else beating me also.

Reactions: BioHawk
If I was playing Iowa I would make somebody else beating me also.
I would too, at least to start. But once it became clear that someone else was in fact going to beat me I'd make changes. Although in PSU's case, they may not have had anyone that could help out down low. Particularly after their player got hurt.

I still think Clark was purposely not truly hunting for her shot int he second half....coupled with Stuelke having a great game and the fact they were out in front, allowed CC to get to 15 assists.....I think she is purposely setting herself up for the record breaking to be at home vs Michigan.

Assuming she doesn't "need" to score against Nebby she'll drop 30 with about 12 assists to save the record for at home.

Clark could have had her usual 35-40 last night even with PSU trying to stop her

I still think Clark was purposely not truly hunting for her shot int he second half....coupled with Stuelke having a great game and the fact they were out in front, allowed CC to get to 15 assists.....I think she is purposely setting herself up for the record breaking to be at home vs Michigan.

Assuming she doesn't "need" to score against Nebby she'll drop 30 with about 12 assists to save the record for at home.

Clark could have had her usual 35-40 last night even with PSU trying to stop her
Maybe, but I don't really think it is something that is playing into it. I think it has lowered the urgency to get the record though so she doesn't have to press as much to do it. Still, she still had 28 points or whatever so it's not like she didn't get her points. But I agree, if the opportunity exists against Nebraska to let others score most of the points she will go ahead and run with that.

Oh come one...

FG and 3PT
8-234-14

Look at NorthernHawkeye try to talk hoop! I guess there's a first time for everything. Laura Ingram must've been a repeat last night, which is why he didn't have that on during the Hawks game(s).

As good as Stuelke was last night, I thought she was just as impressive at Maryland for how she played on the boards. Her growth is exactly what Iowa needs.

Selfishly, I want her to do it at Nebraska so their fans can bask in all of Iowa glory, but.....fans at home deserve this moment.

• Love
Reactions: NorthernHawkeye
I would too, at least to start. But once it became clear that someone else was in fact going to beat me I'd make changes. Although in PSU's case, they may not have had anyone that could help out down low. Particularly after their player got hurt.
I think they tried but all the PSU players had 4 fouls by the end of the game and had no one left to defend her.

As good as Stuelke was last night, I thought she was just as impressive at Maryland for how she played on the boards. Her growth is exactly what Iowa needs.
They will need her to at least keep other teams honest come tournament time. Especially if they run into South Carolina again.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT