ADVERTISEMENT

New Story Caitlin Clark Wins Wooden Award, Sweeps Player of Year Awards

RossWB

HR Heisman
Staff
Feb 1, 2006
The parade of individual accolades for Iowa guard Caitlin Clark continued on Tuesday, as she was named the Wooden Award National Player of the Year. The Wooden Award Player of the Year honors follow on the heels of Clark receiving the Naismith Trophy and AP Player of the Year recognition last week, giving her a clean sweep of all the major National Player of the Year Awards.

Clark, a junior from West Des Moines, Iowa, averaged 27.8 points per game, third-best in D-I, and she led the nation in assists per game (8.6) and three-pointers made per game (3.5). Clark became the first women's player in NCAA history to finish with over 1000 points (1055) and 300 assists (320) in a single season, numbers that also smashed Big Ten single season records.

MORE HERE: https://iowa.rivals.com/news/caitlin-clark-wins-wooden-award-sweeps-player-of-year-awards

Is Honda the only big award left to be announced?

—Announced—
Academic All-America POY - Clark
Athletic POY- Caitlin Clark
AP POY - Caitlin Clark
Naismith POY - Caitlin Clark
Ann Meyers Drysdale Award (USBWA) POY- Caitlin Clark
Wade Trophy POY - Caitlin Clark
Wooden POY (No BIG player has ever won the Wooden)- Caitlin Clark
Dawn Staley Award (best guard) - Caitlin Clark
Nancy Lieberman Award (best point guard) - Caitlin Clark

—To Be Announced—
Honda (oldest)

Attagirl! Even more proud of her now that she took the high road and wouldn’t “get in down in the mud with the pigs,” so to speak.

And she’s going to come back this fall on a mission, with even more to prove — in the right way. Looking forward to making it over to Carver and helping to fill the place.

Caitlin really cleaned up on the individual awards. Not sure why there are 2 guard awards, especially one named for Staley.

Reactions: NevadaHawk
Haven't been on the board since the tourney and haven't waded through the noise but want to throw out this nugget. If already addressed, just ignore.

Caitlin is 811 points short of the all-time women's points career leader. 3.527 points is the all-time record. At Clark's avg of 27.5 points/game it should happen within the 2023-24 B1G season at game #30. Of course, it depends on her sustaining her remarkable scoring and barring injury. But it wouldn't surprise me if Caitlin assumes a greater scoring role.

She doesn't seem to be driven by such goals, but she is operating in the stratosphere and the fact so seldom are athletes in such lofty position is not lost on Coach Bluder, the media and the basketball world. Everyone is waiting for the next headlines she will create.

The parade of individual accolades for Iowa guard Caitlin Clark continued on Tuesday, as she was named the Wooden Award National Player of the Year. The Wooden Award Player of the Year honors follow on the heels of Clark receiving the Naismith Trophy and AP Player of the Year recognition last week, giving her a clean sweep of all the major National Player of the Year Awards.

Clark, a junior from West Des Moines, Iowa, averaged 27.8 points per game, third-best in D-I, and she led the nation in assists per game (8.6) and three-pointers made per game (3.5). Clark became the first women's player in NCAA history to finish with over 1000 points (1055) and 300 assists (320) in a single season, numbers that also smashed Big Ten single season records.

MORE HERE: https://iowa.rivals.com/news/caitlin-clark-wins-wooden-award-sweeps-player-of-year-awards

Pretty cool event today. The Wooden Award All-Americans teamed up with Southern California Special Olympics for a fun morning of basketball.

FtIXCwHXoAU3Mwj

FtIXCvpXoA44gAb

FtIXCwYXoA4grAM

We all know when Paige starts playing next year, we will not hear Caitlin's name mentioned again. It was nice while it lasted.
Someone who had statistically worse stats than Clark and who is in and out of being injured?

2:44 a.m. on a Sunday morning and you're on a message board revisiting a two week old thread and I'm the one told to let it go? So many ways to go here but I'll just leave it at that. 2:44 a.m. on a Sunday morning. Just wow.
It's not my fault you have a curfew in your middle age. Try not to project that saltiness onto others........ ;)

• Haha
Reactions: ChiPackHawk
There’s such a thing as a time stamp. (Lulz, lies I say. Never heard of such an innocuous tool before in all my years of evil monkeying........) 9:50 p.m. on a Monday night versus 2:44 a.m. Sunday. (Are you bragging about posting at "only" 9:50 pm on a Monday?......................................................You:
shooter-mcgavin-no.gif

Yep - that’s the same. (That wasn't what I was referring to...........lol) Maybe you just needed to give yourself a little time. 😉 I’m sure nothing else was going on. (Obviously, at the time, no, otherwise I wouldn't have posted then......but I appreciate that you have taken an interest/concern regarding the goings-on of your ole pal Evil Monkey during the weekends. ;) )

You really are a special, aren't you? And that wasn't a typo. Nice try, though. Posting on a message board at 2:44 am on a Sunday to throw some shade isn't really anything to try and use as a badge of honor. But you keep being you. Oh I'm sure you will get a couple of your chuckle buddies to give you some semblance of support. It's your social outlet. It's necessary.

And FYI, the more you try spin your action, the more pathetic you look. Loser.

You really are a special, aren't you? (Are you asking me or telling me?.....) And that wasn't a typo. Nice try, though. Posting on a message board at 2:44 am on a Sunday to throw some shade isn't really anything to try and use as a badge of honor. (............I wasn't, and you brought up the time. Yikes............lol) But you keep being you. (You're the first person to ever recommend that. On the day of my judgment, I'm going to use that excuse......"ChiPackHawk just told me to be me......so I did". ;)) Oh I'm sure you will get a couple of your chuckle buddies to give you some semblance of support. (I have friends now? This is turning into the best day ever!!! :D) It's your social outlet. It's necessary. (Well I don't do anything that's unnecessary.......)

And FYI, the more you try spin your action, the more pathetic you look. Loser. (And here I thought I was a special?..............I can't be both, you know. ;))
Reading between the lines of this one is comedy. My job here is done. :cool:

Last edited:
And as far as there is "no such thing as a time stamp", look at the top of the post. Once again, keep digging that hole. Loser.
Oh..............ohhhhh................I'm dealing with someone much older than I originally thought.

My apologies, senior citizen. I'll take it easy on you from now on. ;)

We all know when Paige starts playing next year, we will not hear Caitlin's name mentioned again. It was nice while it lasted.
My ass. A couple of years ago, sure. Not anymore. Way too much momentum for the Clark bandwagon now. You don't undue what she just did in the NCAA final four. NOBODY does that, man or woman. Back to back 41 point games, a 41 point triple double. 112 point scored from the elite 8 on. A record 191 points AND the tourney assist record. Her ridiculous performance in the three biggest games. In front of the largest audience to EVER watch womens basketball night after night. Uh, NO.....

My ass. A couple of years ago, sure. Not anymore. Way too much momentum for the Clark bandwagon now. You don't undue what she just did in the NCAA final four. NOBODY does that, man or woman. Back to back 41 point games, a 41 point triple double. 112 point scored from the elite 8 on. A record 191 points AND the tourney assist record. Her ridiculous performance in the three biggest games. In front of the largest audience to EVER watch womens basketball night after night. Uh, NO.....

I was being facetious (mostly). No one has put up numbers like Clark but that won't matter to the Eastern press, that is awaiting Beucher's triumphant return to take leadership of women's basketball.

Like it or not, Caitlin will have to play near rate of last season and better, improve her stats to stay in the spotlight. Her personae is her best attribute and it will take support from teammates to keep the wagon rolling.

Paige was POY in her freshman season playing for a blue blood program with perpetual 5 star recruits in every position in supporting roles.

I was being facetious (mostly). No one has put up numbers like Clark but that won't matter to the Eastern press, that is awaiting Beucher's triumphant return to take leadership of women's basketball.

Like it or not, Caitlin will have to play near rate of last season and better, improve her stats to stay in the spotlight. Her personae is her best attribute and it will take support from teammates to keep the wagon rolling.

Paige was POY in her freshman season playing for a blue blood program with perpetual 5 star recruits in every position in supporting roles.
AND that was years ago, before the CC machine. Clark has Nike behind her now. That has to mean something....

Well, there is the Southern press, the Midwest, West, and Northern press. There may be 5-10 players who really standout next year. If Caitlin continues performing as she has, ALL of the American press will be covering her, IMO.

Is Honda the only big award left to be announced?

—Announced—
Academic All-America POY - Clark
Athletic POY- Caitlin Clark
AP POY - Caitlin Clark
Naismith POY - Caitlin Clark
Ann Meyers Drysdale Award (USBWA) POY- Caitlin Clark
Wade Trophy POY - Caitlin Clark
Wooden POY (No BIG player has ever won the Wooden)- Caitlin Clark
Dawn Staley Award (best guard) - Caitlin Clark
Nancy Lieberman Award (best point guard) - Caitlin Clark

—To Be Announced—
Honda (oldest)
Having swept all WBB POY awards, will be interesting to see if CC can add Collegiate Woman Athlete of the Year tomorrow night. With 12 Honda Sport Award winners as nominees, a really hard award to win. In the 40+ year history of the award, only 2 BIG winners (a PSU volleyballer and Suzy Favor, Badger distance runner).

“On Monday night, the Collegiate Women Sports Awards will present one female athlete with the Honda Cup as the Collegiate Woman Athlete of the Year. There are 12 Honda Sport Award winners all vying for the title in 2023.
The group of 12 finalists is headlined by Iowa women's basketball star Caitlin Clark . . .”

Having swept all WBB POY awards, will be interesting to see if CC can add Collegiate Woman Athlete of the Year tomorrow night. With 12 Honda Sport Award winners as nominees, a really hard award to win. In the 40+ year history of the award, only 2 BIG winners (a PSU volleyballer and Suzy Favor, Badger distance runner).

“On Monday night, the Collegiate Women Sports Awards will present one female athlete with the Honda Cup as the Collegiate Woman Athlete of the Year. There are 12 Honda Sport Award winners all vying for the title in 2023.
The group of 12 finalists is headlined by Iowa women's basketball star Caitlin Clark . . .”

fun trip for CC and the coaches; hope she wins!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT