ADVERTISEMENT

Campbell speaking with Jets

Campbell doesn't have an agent...because he simply doesn't need or want one. He's not uprooting his children and family to take a high risk job in NY. Ohio State or Notre Dame...he just might...New York Jets puhleassse.
Anything would be an improvement over Lames and that fanbase of rubes. Don't kid yourself

As a Hawk fan I would like to see him leave as he is going to be a pain for Iowa down the road. However, I don't know why anyone coaching football would go from Ames to New York. Just seems like a completely different lifestyle outside of football. I get going to the NFL, but New York seems like a very tough market. I just don't seeing this making sense.
And how many coaches think Ames is a dream job? What's the difference from getting hired in Ames and getting hired for the Jet? Both are Armpit jobs!

• Haha
Reactions: cm8124
And how many coaches think Ames is a dream job? What's the difference from getting hired in Ames and getting hired for the Jet? Both are Armpit jobs!
Hey West Co Hawk - where do you live? My son is in Glenwood Springs.

Jets have the number 2 pick and Justin Fields is available or stick with Sam Darnold and trade the number 2 for a bevy of picks to build the team the way he wants it through the draft from a personnel stand point that he controls with the new GM. I can see why he’d consider leaving for the NFL and telling the Jets it’s a six year deal with patience to get it done right at 6 to 7 mil per year. He’d be set for life. Worse case, which no coach thinks that way, he will have a college job waiting for him if it doesn’t work out in the league. I’d take the opportunity to go and build a winner while cashing those nice checks and not having to work 24/7 year round with college and the recruiting that must be done all of the time.

Taking the Jets job means a guaranteed firing in 3 or 4 years.

He can probably coach in Ames for as long as he wants.

I don't know why an NFL team would hire him as head coach. He hasn't held an NFL job a single day of his life. Most of those other guys did and still failed.

The reason that Campbell now and KF a decade ago were of interest to NFL teams is they have proven they can win games when the talent is equal or they have less that their opponent. Saban, Urban Meyer and a whole list of college coaches at powerhouses have proven they can win big when they have better talent than the opponent. Of course, the most successful NFL coaches are good because they can coach AND they have talent. Pete Carroll is an interesting case. Flamed out at NE and the Jets, went to college at a great job and won big. Went back to Seattle where he has won a lot of games where they hired a good GM to keep the talent level flowing.

If Campbell wants to coach in the NFL, he needs to go ahead and do it and see what he can do. If he doesn't, then he should stay at ISU. It's really that simple.

Reactions: haightt
Jets have the number 2 pick and Justin Fields is available or stick with Sam Darnold and trade the number 2 for a bevy of picks to build the team the way he wants it through the draft from a personnel stand point that he controls with the new GM. I can see why he’d consider leaving for the NFL and telling the Jets it’s a six year deal with patience to get it done right at 6 to 7 mil per year. He’d be set for life. Worse case, which no coach thinks that way, he will have a college job waiting for him if it doesn’t work out in the league. I’d take the opportunity to go and build a winner while cashing those nice checks and not having to work 24/7 year round with college and the recruiting that must be done all of the time.

You are correct. Yes, he can stay at ISU and be coach for life practically. But you outlined where he makes more money and can still come back and get a college job if he gets canned.

Campbell is a 5-time National Champion so I can see why the Jets would have interest.

In all seriousness, I don't know how much serious interest Campbell has. The Jets roster is pretty bad and they aren't going to draft the 'sure thing' pick in Lawrence. NY is such a volatile market that you could be gone in 2 years like Gase so job security is fragile compared to Ames where Campbell could have a job being .500 for the next 10 years. Conversely, the NFL is such a huge stage and NY/NJ is such a huge market that I get the incentives to want to take the jump.

Also, any Iowa fan who wouldn't be at least a little happy to see Campbell leave Ames is lying.

The Jets will have almost $100M in cap space in 21 and the #2 pick. A good GM has plenty to work with to quickly upgrade the roster. Who knows, they may actually get it right for once.

Last edited:
Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
I don't buy it. We've been told that Campbell has already turned down dozens of blue blood and NFL jobs. He won't even answer the phone when they call! He's in Ames for life. 😂
He very well might be in Ames the rest of his life. Seems to have worked for Kirk and probably Brian.

Reactions: 24 so far
It would shock me if he went to the Jets, for all the obvious reasons plus one other: A number of his players are opting to take advantage of the NCAA waiver and come back for an extra year next season. I doubt they made that decision without being reassured that the head coach would return, too.

Good news for them is they all can transfer and not have to sit in '21.

I may do a back flip if Campbell leaves this offseason and the Clones see a massive amount of transfers from their football program.

If you read the article it says "is expected to interview" with the Jets. He turned down an interview last time, and has no interest in living in New York. He has a top ten team coming back, his top QB and a Heisman candidate running back and is no doubt looking at the big prize this time. Just another in the dozens of speculative stories about Matt Campbell. KF had that when he was younger and teams were interested in him.

I have no idea if he's interested in the Jets job, nor does anyone that posts on a message board, but the Jets practice in Florham, New Jersey (population 12K, might not be too different than Ames?) and play at the Meadowlands. Living in New York might not be a big factor, since he'd probably never even have to go there if he didn't want to.

Last edited:
So he takes the Jets job, then Purdy declares for the Draft and Campbell takes him #2 overall?

We might actually have a chance to beat Iowa State if that happens.......... ;)
You are an idiot. Purdy outside the the Texas Arena football league sucks......We will beat ISU with, or without Purdy and Soupy Campbell.

Reactions: 24 so far
Campbell doesn't have an agent...because he simply doesn't need or want one. He's not uprooting his children and family to take a high risk job in NY. Ohio State or Notre Dame...he just might...New York Jets puhleassse.
Why the heck would Campbell ever get offered the Ohio State or Notre Dame jobs?

Your delusional if you don't think he'd jump at the chance to be an NFL coach. There's only 32 positions in the entire world. If he wants an NFL job he's gonna go.

He turned them down a couple years back...so apparently he won't "jump" at such a chance. No coach is locked at in at ANY university, but Campbell is no more likely to go job hunting then Kirk Ferentz is.

• Wow
Reactions: Herkyhawk247
Why the heck would Campbell ever get offered the Ohio State or Notre Dame jobs?

I sure as heck hope he doesn't, but if you think he won't be a leading candidate after winning the Big 12 two years in a row...well...you need to wake up. He's one of the hottest coaches in college ball right now and has already swatted away suitors ranging from Florida State to Tennessee.

With our luck, Campbell jumps and the Clones hire Bill O’Brien, who worked wonders at PSU and IIRC he had our number.

I sure as heck hope he doesn't, but if you think he won't be a leading candidate after winning the Big 12 two years in a row...well...you need to wake up. He's one of the hottest coaches in college ball right now and has already swatted away suitors ranging from Florida State to Tennessee.
Ryan Day and Brian Kelly aren't leaving anytime soon though. But generally agree... as much as he has the loyalty and security from Pollard and ISU, if a blueblood offers with a big contract that isn't in a crater of a situation, then he would be more inclined to accept a new HC job. But I don't blame him for not jumping to random dumpster fire blueblood or SEC programs who are in panic mode.

The Big 12 is fairly chaotic right now so as long as Campbell maintains his program he can continue to be selective before jumping to a different position. It's the smart move too because he maintains his leverage and he can renegotiate his current contract to better his deal.

He turned them down a couple years back...so apparently he won't "jump" at such a chance. No coach is locked at in at ANY university, but Campbell is no more likely to go job hunting then Kirk Ferentz is.

False.

KFz is 65 and close to retirement. He's going nowhere.

At 41, Campbell is still building his resume and career...a jump to the NFL might be tempting. It's a great opportunity. He can always come back to college ball if he wants to so he's got nothing to lose.

...and it's "than"...not "then".

Last edited:
Ummm...what? Winning the Big 12?

Oh look Mesa clone is back - oh joy!
And remember in the cyclones mind if you win the big 12 bball tourney - somehow you are big 12 champs?
So somehow that same math figures in winning big 12 football the last 2 years? It’s magic!!!

when-i-exaggerate-a-story-and-my-wife-calls-me-out-on-it-126938.jpg

Ummm 2 years in a row?

Someone disagrees with you. I think they call them ‘The Big 12 Conference’. It’s a pretty easy google search to find it.

So he takes the Jets job, then Purdy declares for the Draft and Campbell takes him #2 overall?

We might actually have a chance to beat Iowa State if that happens.......... ;)
Why would we have any trouble with the clowns? Their best ever season includes 3 losses playing in a weak conference. They had a future NFL running back a few years ago who managed 40 yards against us his senior year. Little brother is our bitch.

As a Hawk fan I would like to see him leave as he is going to be a pain for Iowa down the road. However, I don't know why anyone coaching football would go from Ames to New York. Just seems like a completely different lifestyle outside of football. I get going to the NFL, but New York seems like a very tough market. I just don't seeing this making sense.

Serious question: Could he fix Sam Darnold?

I remember Sam when he was at USC & everyone thought he would make such a great pro. I still think he could be a great NFL QB. The Jets are just a horrible organization...right now.

And another kernel of brilliant insight from Franisdaman.....Clown fans might post in a thread about their head football coach. Who else would ever have predicted that? Good goin'.

I am glad you acknowledged in your post that you are all a bunch of Clowns.

And I knew you Clowns would not be able to resist posting, telling us he is not going anywhere! Here is a live look at Lone Clone trying to convince himself:

source.gif

Reactions: RLMHAWK
The Jets will have almost $100M in cap space in 21 and the #2 pick. A good GM has plenty to work with to quickly upgrade the roster. Who knows, they may actually get it right for once.

Seems like the Jets haven’t been good since they had a certain Doak Walker Award winner in the backfield.

Reactions: LakeviewHawkeye

Millions of dollars and the chance to be a savior in the worlds largest media market?

False.

KFz is 65 and close to retirement. He's going nowhere.

At 41, Campbell is still building his resume and career...a jump to the NFL might be tempting. It's a great opportunity. He can always come back to college ball if he wants to so he's got nothing to lose.

...and it's "than"...not "then".

Ferentz was just 43 when he took the Iowa job...a mere 2 years older than Campbell is now.

Sure...he "can". But he isn't, which is the real point that matters. He has shown absolutely no interest in departing ISU...at any point in his 5 year tenure.

Yes, its than. You really got me on that one.

If ISU fans are comfortable that Campbell isn't going to leave, why are they on an Iowa site trying to convince themselves that it won't happen?

Reactions: Franisdaman
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT