ADVERTISEMENT

Can Iowa find a couple receivers who are hidden gems

uihawk82

HR All-American
Nov 17, 2021
The Chiefs rookie Rasheed Rice went to SMU iirc, and there are a ton of these guys who do not play P5 ball but are just great or very good receivers. I hope the recruiters can find just a couple of these guys, freshmen or portal players, who can make a big contribution. It has been been 4+ years since the hawks had above avg receivers in ISM and BSmith.

Next WR coach needs to be a big time salesperson as well as Kirk and the OC selling this program for a chance for newcomers to get a lot of targets

Reactions: Mohawkeye
WR recruiting has been weak spot for 20 years. Only occasionally Iowa has a single stud, but then the depth is bad. I don't see KF finding any WR talent..only hope is the new OC/WR coach has some recruiting connections.

WR recruiting has been weak spot for 20 years. Only occasionally Iowa has a single stud, but then the depth is bad. I don't see KF finding any WR talent..only hope is the new OC/WR coach has some recruiting connections.
I’d say it’s been hit and miss up until when Smith/Marsette and Smith graduated. Been incredibly crappy since then. Like, I don’t know how you even get that bad at recruiting.

The Chiefs rookie Rasheed Rice went to SMU iirc, and there are a ton of these guys who do not play P5 ball but are just great or very good receivers. I hope the recruiters can find just a couple of these guys, freshmen or portal players, who can make a big contribution. It has been been 4+ years since the hawks had above avg receivers in ISM and BSmith.

Next WR coach needs to be a big time salesperson as well as Kirk and the OC selling this program for a chance for newcomers to get a lot of targets
I like Seth Anderson

our best receiver on campus will be a top 10 draft pick next year. unfortunately in the MLB draft.
Lol.. and just when was that proven. Brecht couldn't catch a cold when he was wearing the jersey either. Brown has some skills, and hopefully the new OC will figure out what to do with them.

Iowa has had a few. KF didn't recognize it.
Pretty much. I believe Kirk has had three WRs actually catch a pass in the NFL (not counting Fry recruits). ISM, Willies and Charlie Jones. I'll give him some credit with ISM. He at least had him on the field early, but probably could have utilized his skill even more throughout his career. Willies and Jones, we all know how those two played out. This offense pushes talented WRs away, it doesn't bring them in.

Last edited:
Reactions: IIowaFarmBoy
Not if they find a couple lineman first. That would seem to be the priority.

We'll see how many schollys they can open up

It’s really hard to tell when Iowa receivers get so few chances to catch the ball.
Maybe they can convert them all to tight ends so we can see what they can do.

He is a lot more sure handed than Brown. Brown is the equivalent of Tyrone Tracy
I must have been watching different games...I didnt see Seth Anderson do shit all season. How many catches did he have that I must have missed or forgot about. Did he even have 10 catches for the season?

• Haha
Reactions: Bierhalter

They 1st need an O-Line that can pass protect. 2nd, they need to find a QB that can get the ball in the WR‘S hands more than 70% of the time, not 55%. Also have the ability to stretch the field, not just screens and 5 yard dumps. Is McNamara that QB, not sure since he hasn’t since 2021.

Reactions: LukaDuka

ISM and BS were above avg for Iowa. Iowa has gotten the WR it deserves based upon the offensive strategy employed.

Fingers crossed that KF hires an OC that can put a top 50 Offense on the field (includes recruiting, WR coach, OL coach, QB coach). Unfortunately KF has yet to show (in the past decade) any life in a productive offense.

They 1st need an O-Line that can pass protect. 2nd, they need to find a QB that can get the ball in the WR‘S hands more than 70% of the time, not 55%. Also have the ability to stretch the field, not just screens and 5 yard dumps. Is McNamara that QB, not sure since he hasn’t since 2021.
The offensive line obviously needs improvement, but it's amazing what scheme, play calling, and even just an average athlete at QB can do for a line. The Iowa coaching staff does the line no favors in that regard. We haven't had a QB that could move since 2016.

Reactions: jonesy5960
I must have been watching different games...I didnt see Seth Anderson do shit all season. How many catches did he have that I must have missed or forgot about. Did he even have 10 catches for the season?
Everyone arguing about the quality of this receiver or that receiver has no idea whether any of them is better than another. This offense, particularly the passing offense, was in a shambles from the coaching to the QB. There is absolutely no way to effectively evaluate the personnel as it stands today. A total shit show.

Reactions: Tom Paris
A lot has to happen in order for a WR to catch a pass. The line has to give the QB time, the QB has to make the correct pre- and post-snap read, one or both tight ends must be covered and then the QB needs to deliver a catchable throw. That’s not including the WR must get at least a little separation and they must have good enough hand-eye coordination to catch the pass. All of this happens in about 3-4 seconds.

Most organized football teams have figured this out, but it’s still a work-in-progress at Iowa.

A lot has to happen in order for a WR to catch a pass. The line has to give the QB time, the QB has to make the correct pre- and post-snap read, one or both tight ends must be covered and then the QB needs to deliver a catchable throw. That’s not including the WR must get at least a little separation and they must have good enough hand-eye coordination to catch the pass. All of this happens in about 3-4 seconds.

Most organized football teams have figured this out, but it’s still a work-in-progress at Iowa.
This and what ButtersHawk said. You can't hinge ur hope on a hidden gem, you gotta make it happen.

He had the only season opening first possession receiving TD of Kirk's coaching career (so far). So indeed you may have been watching different games.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT