ADVERTISEMENT

Can we have a civil conversation about the Iowa offensive struggles the past couple years?

That’s why KF is #10 in wins in the last five years and #16 in wins the last ten years despite being in a state of 3 million with no major urban centers, and also at a mid tier program as far as revenue and funding.......

You are clearly an imbecile
I thought we'd be having a debate without people trying to be an asshat...

Clearly Ferentz has the other phases going great. Offense is terrible and nationally in every preseason show you'll find the hosts discussing how bad that side of the football is. Iowa is a top 15 revenue school, spends at a top 15 level in football, and lies about 4 hours or less from Chicago, St Louis, and Minneapolis, among with Iowa itself producing about 10 recruitable players per year. Don't sit here and call me an imbecile if you don't know the numbers.

I've come to believe that for football reasons, I wouldn't be trying to continue to run the offense as-is, because:

a) football players aren't sticking around at schools anymore - they're transferring or turning pro earlier now, so it doesn't make sense to run a complex offense that takes 1-2 years to learn

b) rules of the game in college make it much easier to run an offense where your linemen get to be upfield every play and don't have to cut-block to create an explosive run

c) treating the offense as sort of a second defense is insanity and will guarantee a recruiting destiny where the top players will treat us as a pariah program on that side of the football.

I'm still a fan and rooting for 12-0, but make no mistake, I have my eyes open and think that there is a better way to run the program on offense. Its no different than having different opinions on policy than some in your political party of choice. Thinking everything is great all the time usually means that you're an idiot or that you're drinking the Kool-aid, and the cure for both is to read more and explore the world, and do both with an open mind. Check yourself.

IMO the biggest problem with the offense is they make it too complex to learn. Every other school in the country has freshman start at QB and most other positions that rely on pure athleticism. But at Iowa all we ever hear is "they are still learning the offense".

I listened to a podcast a few weeks ago with Hal Mummy who is credited with inventing the the Air Raid. He said his approach to offense is to keep it simple enough for college athletes to determine quickly what they need to do and go do it. Another interesting thing he said was that no OC anywhere is good enough to think through an 100 page playbook and get the right play called in 30 seconds.

Iowa's defensive philosophy is to keep it simple and let athletes make plays. They need to do the same for the offense. Yes they still need better skill, but this approach would help the players they have execute better.
An overly complex, yet woefully ineffective, offense is a bad, bad thing. :(

I agree totally that they struck out. Just saying thats not the same thing as not seeing an issue and trying to fix it. As for Proctor I fail to see how anyone can make a reasoned opinion on why he switched. First off whatever he may have thought of BF, he was committed to Iowa for a lllooonnnggg time. Must not have been that big a deal. Then regardless of his curious statements after he flipped to johnny come lately Bama, I think we all know it was more about the $$ then anything else. It seems very obvious after he played the Ducks and other suitors to up the ante.....
I think yes with proctor multiple factors. I do agree the Oregon trip was a ploy to get more $ and don’t believe a word of his family or him saying $ played no part of it.

IMO, an overview is helpful. The offensive problems are not just 2 years or even 6 years. The problems (injuries, position weaknesses, etc) shift around year to year and the results change somewhat but are always subpar.

Offensive ineptness has been systemic through the entire KF era. Systemic problems always have their roots at the top. KF's offensive strategy is based on hope. Hope that the defense will make a mistake. Run 3 safe plays, and if no defensive mistakes, then punt (and we do that more than any team in the country). If they do make a mistake, we get a first down and hope again.

We are offensively aggressive only in cases of desperation. And that usually doesn't work because offensive aggressiveness is a foreign concept to the team and coaches.

With hope as the driving force, an emphasis on offensive recruiting is less vital. The ability of the OC is also less vital, so it might as well be the son.

Will anything change in 2023? Maybe. With the BF situation, there may be some better sideline decisions. The other possibility is that Cade may be persuasive enough to get KF to violate his philosophy just a little. We can
only hope.

Having a really really bad QB the past 3 seasons has been a problem, created by the OC and HC. A more accurate QB and one that has the ability to move in the pocket will improve the offense immediately. Petras was really really bad at both.
The Scheme, game planning, and play calling are an issue and are reflective of an OC that is not good enough at a P2 level.
Not sure how anyone could watch the South Dakota State, Iowa State, Illinois, Nevada, and Nebraska games from last year and think Iowa has a good Offensive coaching staff.

Average Points Per Game for the Top 15 teams last season

41, 39, 40, 44, 41, 46, 36, 40, 36, 36, 39, 33, 41, 32, 35

All of those teams won at least 10 games, must be okay to attempt to score points. Iowa's goal is to hopefully score 25 points a game? Knowingly and appearing to want to be below average on Offense goes against what the top teams do. At a time when the Big 10 West is no longer.

Lets hope Cade is accurate and stays healthy

Pro style offense with 11 and 12 personnel. Ball control offense, TOP, playing for field position paired with a great defense. Identical to what Bill Parcells did.

College football is ever evolving and is cyclical. The spread passing attack is giving way to more tight end use and pro style offense, see georgia, see Oregon State.

Reactions: rrsteffe
Hopefully for the sake of the team and its record, we don't find out. I'll just say that Barta isn't here anymore, and the stipulations of Brians contract are a matter of public record nationally.....
Which begs the question - what is it REALLY saying. It says the contract will terminate. That means he doesn't have to be fired. It means that even if Iowa wins the NC, he doesn't get a bonus if he doesn't score a certain amount of points. That's it really, right?

Nothing is stopping the AD from giving him another contract.

And, as I have said before, I have a feeling that this is KF's last year anyway. Any way you look at it, I hope 2023 is a special season.

Which begs the question - what is it REALLY saying. It says the contract will terminate. That means he doesn't have to be fired. It means that even if Iowa wins the NC, he doesn't get a bonus if he doesn't score a certain amount of points. That's it really, right?

Nothing is stopping the AD from giving him another contract.

And, as I have said before, I have a feeling that this is KF's last year anyway. Any way you look at it, I hope 2023 is a special season.
Agreed, but it also doesn't protect BF if we don't meet that criteria. I guess in that scenario we'll see what Goetz is made of. I don't believe any search (if there is one) is supposed to start until early 2024. By then we'll know the outcome of this season. Still its unlikely she would get in a power play with Kirk, if she is still the "interim AD". We'll see.....

Agreed, but it also doesn't protect BF if we don't meet that criteria. I guess in that scenario we'll see what Goetz is made of. I don't believe any search (if there is one) is supposed to start until early 2024. By then we'll know the outcome of this season. Still its unlikely she would get in a power play with Kirk, if she is still the "interim AD". We'll see.....
Count me in the minority of folks that DON'T think KF is willing to sacrifice the Iowa FB program to save BF's job. But after 2022, I'll admit that belief is wanning.

With the additional guys BF has this year they won't have any excuse.

So, in the following scenario ....

A. Iowa finishes near the bottom of FBS in total offense, AND

B. KF wants to keep coaching.

Then I think the Hawks will have a new OC in 2024.

Count me in the minority of folks that DON'T think KF is willing to sacrifice the Iowa FB program to save BF's job. But after 2022, I'll admit that belief is wanning.

Honestly, I think most here even KF strongest supporters would be fine with that. I know I would. I do however hope we do so well this season that we don't need to find out.

I don't believe there is any scenario in which the number of Ferentz coaching at Iowa next year is a number other than zero or 2.

Decent chance that OC/QB coach is J. Budamyr? Doubt they gave him a 300k raise to sit and analyze videoes/graphs. .etc...IF BF can land a job anywhere else on the planet...he is gone. With the lawsuit not resolved before the coaching carousel was finished...he had very limited options at best...
Hence the agreement that he could keep his job with a paycut and performance standards...negotiated between KF and Barta as a way to keep BF employed in the coaching business..

• Wow
Reactions: PoleSmokinHerkyFan
Decent chance that OC/QB coach is J. Budamyr? Doubt they gave him a 300k raise to sit and analyze videoes/graphs. .etc...IF BF can land a job anywhere else on the planet...he is gone. With the lawsuit not resolved before the coaching carousel was finished...he had very limited options at best...
Hence the agreement that he could keep his job with a paycut and performance standards...negotiated between KF and Barta as a way to keep BF employed in the coaching business..
What’s the best position Brian could get outside of Iowa? Maybe a position coach in Power 5 or the NFL, and even that might require Kirk calling in a favor. Would an FCS or lower team let him run an offense? I doubt it.

• Wow
What’s the best position Brian could get outside of Iowa? Maybe a position coach in Power 5 or the NFL, and even that might require Kirk calling in a favor. Would an FCS or lower team let him run an offense? I doubt it.
If a NFL team is willing to take the PR hit...I'd guess he could follow in Tom Manning's footsteps and go back to a job he is suited for-TE coach..

I don't believe there is any scenario in which the number of Ferentz coaching at Iowa next year is a number other than zero or 2.
Actually, Junior getting fired would qualify as a Sign Of The Apocalypse.
The Capt would never allow it.

Actually, Junior getting fired would qualify as a Sign Of The Apocalypse.
The Capt would never allow it.
That was my point. Kirk would quit before he fired Brian. There is little doubt of that and I wouldn't be surprised if a similar discussion took place last year if the subject of Brian's firing was broached.

My personal, non-expert opinion is that the offense has struggled the past few years due to 1) generally weak to inconsistent offensive line play, 2) an average, at best, quarterback, 3) coaching - trying to pound a square peg through a round hole.

Offensive Line. They have had some individuals who were good, one who was great, but overall they have had big holes in the OL. Why, I don't know. Recruiting? Coaching? Talent? Blocking schemes that don't match the players' skills? Other reasons? Some combination? They never had anything close to a group resembling that 2002 OL.

Quarterback. The quarterback wasn't very good for the type of offense they ran. With the right personnel maybe Spencer would have been better, but with the OL play, he was not a good fit, at all. I wouldn't argue with anyone that he wasn't good regardless of the talent around him. A weak spot.

Coaching. Could Iowa's "predictable" offense have worked over the past few years? Perhaps, but only with studs across the board on the OL, and a better QB, but that did not exist. By and large, they could not run the things they wanted to. Kirk always harps on execution, which I think is legitimate, but I think a part of the problem was he didn't have the personnel to consistently execute what he wanted. It was an outcome that was predetermined, so, the offense was doomed for mediocrity. His (and Brian's) failure to adapt to what they had on the roster left Iowa's offense exposed for its weaknesses. Call it a blind spot, stubbornness, it doesn't matter, it was a shortcoming of the coaches in charge.

Last edited:
Iowas blueprint for success has been great defense, dominating up front and running the football. The last 2 seasons we’ve had some of the worst OL play I’ve seen, especially at the OT position. If you go back and look at recruiting, we had some major misses in the classes that would have been upperclassmen.

I’m hoping now that the young guys have more experience, this will be the year we have a good OL. Having that strong running game, makes our play action passing much better. Once the defense has defend the entire field, spacing gets a little better. That turns 4 yard plays into 10 yard plays and 10 yard plays into 20-30 yard plays, etc.

Outside of that, I think our WR play has been subpar and Petras was the wrong type of QB for a line that got demolished in pass pro. He certainly wasn’t great or even good but not many QB’s thrive behind bad OL play.

I don't blame our coaches. Shit happens. Injuries happen. Fans are irrational babies and their suggestions shouldn't be taken seriously. The solution isn't always to fire people. Our history backs that up yet people still just call for heads at every turn. Any loss is a meltdown retrospective of the need to clean house. It's pretty idiotic and annoying.
I’d agree with you if they hired an established OC instead of the head coach’s son with no relevant experience. Any fan that shares that feeling is not “irrational”. (Kirk or Brian, if this is you, sorry if this hurts your feelings)

Maybe he should involve himself in recruiting more....or maybe not based on his rep on the trail....The guy is not an asset to the program...I'm trying to adhere to the request of the OP and remain "civil"...Even after hundreds/thousands of posts on here and other boards....I'm still surprised at people that think BF in anyway being in the position he is, can be a positive for the program.
I will echo this. As highly thought of as KF is as a person and how he conducts himself,
I have never heard anything remotely similar regarding Brian.

There have been no less than 500 people in here who have suggested the offense is poor, BF needs to go, our OL was awful etc..

That IS NOT what makes someone a hater. But I do appreciate you guys trying to redeem yourselves here in the off season by pretending like you were saying…

Oh geez guys our offense is bad…..LOL

I swear most of you argue like women…. Hell maybe you are women? In fact can you even say that anymore ? My bad….

But the point remains..,I’ll say it loud!!

WE ALL AGREE the offense was bad, we should have used the portal, we wish Brian had left, our QBs were gross…

What we don’t all agree on is; fire everyone, we are the worst, what a shitty program, and on and on and on and on and on….

Nice try though…
Nice try? Who the fuk do you think you are? JFC you might not be Karnack but you're not far off. Ive been called a hater enough for pointing out how bad the offense sucks since GD was hired and I never said fire anyone but BF.

I don't need your input on it. Ironic you are calling out people as women when you gotta react to every post and just gotta make sure everyone knows your opinion on EVERYTHING. Seriously go fuk yourself, Chad. F'n douchebag

I use data and metrics. Iowas offense has been abysmal under Brian. You can think what you like, and I’ll do the same.
I think the metrics tell a story of declining offensive efficiency for the past 4 years according to BCFTOYS.

The Iowa offense ranked 44th and 43rd in efficiency in 2017 and 2018 respectively. Things started trending downward in 2019 and 2020 (54 and 64), before dropping precipitously in 2021 and 2022 (92 and 102). The trend line isn't positive and the negative momentum is hard to turn as the unit had become a national punchline which impacts the recruiting and the morale in the locker room.

With the exception of tight ends and possibly running back, every position group has been abysmal or subpar. Brian takes the bulk of the blame as the architect of the offense but the departure of Doyle and Polasek has obviously had an impact on the oline development. We've not seen a more discombobulated oline than we have the last 2 years. Not only did they appear not ready from a physical perspective, but also the mental aspect of the game. Too often we saw 3 people blocking 1 guy allowing everyone else a free run at the QB. At times you had to ask yourself why they hated Spencer so much.

Something big had to change in leadership to reverse the momentum in the locker room and it came in the form of McNamara. It's a new year with (hopefully) a new and battle tested QB and a WR group that looks much stronger. This is Barnett's 3rd year with a veteran group of linemen. There are no more excuses. Iowa fans will get what they want, either a much improved offense or new coaches next year. Of that I'm pretty confident.

I am of the opinion that Budmayr is QB coach today in all things other than title.

Nice try? Who the fuk do you think you are? JFC you might not be Karnack but you're not far off. Ive been called a hater enough for pointing out how bad the offense sucks since GD was hired and I never said fire anyone but BF.

I don't need your input on it. Ironic you are calling out people as women when you gotta react to every post and just gotta make sure everyone knows your opinion on EVERYTHING. Seriously go fuk yourself, Chad. F'n douchebag

Bullshit… if you hadn’t been an asshat at some point in time, you’d never been on my radar and quite frankly, I’ve seen enough people calling you out for your bullshit I’m not gonna give your opinion one more thought…

Reactions: bIhawk and F5n5
I think the metrics tell a story of declining offensive efficiency for the past 4 years according to BCFTOYS.

The Iowa offense ranked 44th and 43rd in efficiency in 2017 and 2018 respectively. Things started trending downward in 2019 and 2020 (54 and 64), before dropping precipitously in 2021 and 2022 (92 and 102). The trend line isn't positive and the negative momentum is hard to turn as the unit had become a national punchline which impacts the recruiting and the morale in the locker room.

With the exception of tight ends and possibly running back, every position group has been abysmal or subpar. Brian takes the bulk of the blame as the architect of the offense but the departure of Doyle and Polasek has obviously had an impact on the oline development. We've not seen a more discombobulated oline than we have the last 2 years. Not only did they appear not ready from a physical perspective, but also the mental aspect of the game. Too often we saw 3 people blocking 1 guy allowing everyone else a free run at the QB. At times you had to ask yourself why they hated Spencer so much.

Something big had to change in leadership to reverse the momentum in the locker room and it came in the form of McNamara. It's a new year with (hopefully) a new and battle tested QB and a WR group that looks much stronger. This is Barnett's 3rd year with a veteran group of linemen. There are no more excuses. Iowa fans will get what they want, either a much improved offense or new coaches next year. Of that I'm pretty confident.

Great post!

I did the math for you all so you don’t have to:

Brian needs to average 25 ppg… for the season.

Doesn’t need to score 25+ points EVERY GAME.

Say Iowa drops 55 opening day against Utah State, 28 against Iowa State and 48 against Western Michigan.

That 131 points through 3 games is a 43.6 ppg average.

Would anyone be SHOCKED if this happened? Pleasantly surprised, I’d say.

Iowa then can average its traditional 19 ppg through the 9 game B1G schedule with 171 total points in conference play.

131 + 171 = 302. Divide that by 12 and… you end up with 25.2 ppg.

At which point we all meet here and say… the sonuvabitch did it.
Again, one of the most timid contracts in d1. 7 wins is such a flaccid bar to set for a P5 team.

Fir a P5 team like Iowa, yes..however? How many P5 teams are doing it?

I’ll look in a few…

If I’m counting right, over the 10 years have 22….not counting teams like Cinncy or Houston who I guess are P5, now?

And only 9 at 8 plus….

I honestly didn’t even realize that. Really we have been better than people realize. We are at 7.8

Personally I think the offensive struggles the last couple of years have been the result of a perfect storm of events.

1. Petras was the best QB we had and was the prototypical game-manager that fits well with this system and defense. He had a big arm, could hit all the throws and didn't throw interceptions. For that type of QB you need to have weapons at every level, a competent running game and above all else you have to protect him. For the most part the last 2 seasons Petras had none of those 3. Square peg round hole.
2. Recruiting misses and injuries on the OL. Blame Petras and BF all you want, the real problem has been the OL. If you are only taking 3 or 4 OL in each class you don't have much room when 2 of them get injured and the other is a miss.
3. Loss of Charlie Jones and especially the timing hurt. Who would have thought Tyrone Tracy would have digressed so much. Arland Bruce sucked and KJ was pretty good but a pretty good player on the bench is the same as no player. Vines constantly hurt and Nico even hurt half the time. Hard to expect an offense with a below average offensive line, with a non-mobile QB and go-to receivers of Arland Bruce and Alec Wick to move the chains.
4. Late to the transfer/NIL party: hard to blame the coaches here, if there is no NIL in place how could they get anyone decent to fill the holes? I know they slow-played it because they wanted to follow the rules and be classy about it, but those they basically cheated got rewarded. That cost them last year.
5. The whole racist thing sure as hell didn't help anything. That probably cost Kallenberger in 21, Alt in recruiting, Doyle, but the resonating effect in recruiting of what we don't know probably can't be measured.
6. Now BF. I actually think he is an effective offensive coordinator but from a management position. I actually think BF will be a better head coach than a coordinator. I look at BF like Petras, they are both probably really good in a narrow window if everything else around them lines up, but, they don't have the tools to adjust on the fly. I still say that the entire goal of KF and BF was to bring that TE centered offense from New England and adapt it to Iowa, and while it was a sound plan, for the most part they couldn't get the right pieces in place. That offense is deadly and could be done at Iowa, but it needs everything to work together. That is in comparison to a basic read-option type offense where a great QB and a couple of other pieces can make it effective. I think BF is capable of coaching that, but beyond that, doesn't have the offensive creativity and experience to adapt. For 2023 they are doubling down on that premise and went out and got the pieces for their philosophy. I think they did that part well and I definitely think BF can coach that because I do think he does a good job play-calling and setting up his plays.
7. One other thing: defenses on our schedule are really good. Last year alone we faced 3, 4, 6, 9, 11 and 14th rated defenses. Every team struggles with that, let alone a team like Iowa with massive offensive deficiencies mentioned above. All of those teams have great and elite pass rushers and totally destroyed anything this offense was going to try to do. Really for the most part every team played us like we play them; a lot of zone on the back end, rarely rush more than 4 and keep everyone's eyes in the backfield. Where that does not work is against teams with elite outside weapons, efficient offensive lines and an accurate quarterback, none of which we have had.

Personally I think the offensive struggles the last couple of years have been the result of a perfect storm of events.

1. Petras was the best QB we had and was the prototypical game-manager that fits well with this system and defense. He had a big arm, could hit all the throws and didn't throw interceptions. For that type of QB you need to have weapons at every level, a competent running game and above all else you have to protect him. For the most part the last 2 seasons Petras had none of those 3. Square peg round hole.
2. Recruiting misses and injuries on the OL. Blame Petras and BF all you want, the real problem has been the OL. If you are only taking 3 or 4 OL in each class you don't have much room when 2 of them get injured and the other is a miss.
3. Loss of Charlie Jones and especially the timing hurt. Who would have thought Tyrone Tracy would have digressed so much. Arland Bruce sucked and KJ was pretty good but a pretty good player on the bench is the same as no player. Vines constantly hurt and Nico even hurt half the time. Hard to expect an offense with a below average offensive line, with a non-mobile QB and go-to receivers of Arland Bruce and Alec Wick to move the chains.
4. Late to the transfer/NIL party: hard to blame the coaches here, if there is no NIL in place how could they get anyone decent to fill the holes? I know they slow-played it because they wanted to follow the rules and be classy about it, but those they basically cheated got rewarded. That cost them last year.
5. The whole racist thing sure as hell didn't help anything. That probably cost Kallenberger in 21, Alt in recruiting, Doyle, but the resonating effect in recruiting of what we don't know probably can't be measured.
6. Now BF. I actually think he is an effective offensive coordinator but from a management position. I actually think BF will be a better head coach than a coordinator. I look at BF like Petras, they are both probably really good in a narrow window if everything else around them lines up, but, they don't have the tools to adjust on the fly. I still say that the entire goal of KF and BF was to bring that TE centered offense from New England and adapt it to Iowa, and while it was a sound plan, for the most part they couldn't get the right pieces in place. That offense is deadly and could be done at Iowa, but it needs everything to work together. That is in comparison to a basic read-option type offense where a great QB and a couple of other pieces can make it effective. I think BF is capable of coaching that, but beyond that, doesn't have the offensive creativity and experience to adapt. For 2023 they are doubling down on that premise and went out and got the pieces for their philosophy. I think they did that part well and I definitely think BF can coach that because I do think he does a good job play-calling and setting up his plays.
7. One other thing: defenses on our schedule are really good. Last year alone we faced 3, 4, 6, 9, 11 and 14th rated defenses. Every team struggles with that, let alone a team like Iowa with massive offensive deficiencies mentioned above. All of those teams have great and elite pass rushers and totally destroyed anything this offense was going to try to do. Really for the most part every team played us like we play them; a lot of zone on the back end, rarely rush more than 4 and keep everyone's eyes in the backfield. Where that does not work is against teams with elite outside weapons, efficient offensive lines and an accurate quarterback, none of which we have had.
Some good observations.
To me the offensive style is the square peg in the round hole.
Little margin for error in the status quo.
Opposing defenses basically need to just pin their ears back and attack.
Of course a QB with mobility about has to help.

Some good observations.
To me the offensive style is the square peg in the round hole.
Little margin for error in the status quo.
Opposing defenses basically need to just pin their ears back and attack.
Of course a QB with mobility about has to help.
I agree that there is little margin for error. It is a complex system. When it is not executed properly it does seem very easy to defend. However, I don't think the offensive style is a square peg in a round hole. I think if Iowa is going to not only compete but beat the elite teams in the B1G and the country, they can't just do what everyone else is doing because the disadvantages of geography and money is real. Being since nobody else seems to be embracing and celebrating the TE position it allows Iowa to corner the market on that scheme. I think with some better players on the outside and tweaks to the offensive line philosophy to go towards more bulk and to the QB position to bring in more mobility, this offense could be a nightmare to defend.

This year is going to be fun assuming the key players stay healthy. Having speed on the outside with Anderson and Brown is going to make these defense play way more honest. Lachey and All are going to total mismatches for linebackers and safeties and with the mobility of Cade I don't think defenses can get away with rushing 4 all the time, especially not rushing the outside of the tackles because of that draw threat. Our most potent lineup should easily be 12 personnel with Anderson, Brown, Lachey, All and Johnson. The speed on the outside should spread those zones which opens up the TE seam route, the QB draw and of course the running game.

We have also seen BF show the ability and willingness to run several different plays out of the same personnel grouping and formation and with the addition of the outside speed and QB mobility should be able to take full advantage of that.

What I'd like to see more of is when we do go 3 wide, which is actually a fair amount of the time, is to be able to run the ball better out of that formation. If you look at most spread teams when you go 3 wideouts you're trying to spread the field out and get 1 v 1 advantages for yourself. I know, Thanks captain obvious. That means teams can't load the box and we should be able to run the ball much better than we do out of that formation. For some reason that doesn't seem to work for us. And again, maybe it's because they have had so little respect for our passing game the last few years they're still single covering everyone and it's not the advantage it should be.

What I'd like to see more of is when we do go 3 wide, which is actually a fair amount of the time, is to be able to run the ball better out of that formation. If you look at most spread teams when you go 3 wideouts you're trying to spread the field out and get 1 v 1 advantages for yourself. I know, Thanks captain obvious. That means teams can't load the box and we should be able to run the ball much better than we do out of that formation. For some reason that doesn't seem to work for us. And again, maybe it's because they have had so little respect for our passing game the last few years they're still single covering everyone and it's not the advantage it should be.
I think defenses had such little respect for the ability for the offensive line to protect the QB as well as the QB to create time for himself. So defenses basically threw a zone blanket over the 2nd and 3rd levels which basically allowed them to double all of the receivers. We were committing 6, 7 and sometimes 8 players (TE, RB plus 5 OL and sometimes a FB or 2nd TE) to protect the QB from their front 3 or 4, leaving really only 2 or 3 real receiving options against 6, 7 or 8 defenders. Defensive lines for the most part totally manhandled our O line for the last 2 years, and that is on top of some of the ridiculous missed assignments we have all seen.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT