ADVERTISEMENT

Can we have a civil conversation about the Iowa offensive struggles the past couple years?

Fire Kirk, the source of our distress (antiquated crappy Offensive scheme that plays to the weakness of our inept OLine).
Who cares if he's the Dean Of Coaches?
Even Bear Bryant lost his edge.

Ohio State got rid of Woody Hayes. Dinosaurs belong is history books.

• Haha
Reactions: Iron Doc
Our offensive philosophy will never change as long as Kirk is in charge. Don't get me wrong, I love Kirk and I think he'll be both a HOF Coach and will have a statue outside of Kinnick some day. But he's never been a fan of all the flash, he likes to control the ball/time of possession and win the turnover battle. Keeping the other team from scoring as much as humanly possible. It's like suffocating the opponent. That will be our identity until Kirk hangs it up.

The problem is, that philosophy relies heavily on winning the trenches. Without a stout OLine to allow us to run the ball, it all falls apart and we end up with what we look like now. I think Patches O'Houlihan puts it best.

I hate to say it, but ever since Doyle left our OLine has been so much worse. If Barnett can't put together something this year, he's gotta go. Everyone is an upperclassmen with experience and there's just no excuse.
I agree Kirk plays the entire game on field position and defense giving offense priority 1 a field goal and upside a touchdown

Iowa's offense is too complicated. Bullshit.
Fans know what plays are coming.
Opponents know what plays are coming.

No Innovation. No misdirection. No change in tempo. A goddam Jr. Highschool coach knows enough to prevent predictability.

Too complicated. JFC. If Iowa has a 100 page playbook, someone hasn't shared it with any of the coaches or players. Off right tackle. 5 yards to Tight end. Inside left guard. Did I leave anything out?
Easy, take a breath here. JFC…
I don’t play for Iowa and I can make a good assumption you don’t either. This has been started numerous times over the years as to why new players are not on the field. The play call and or formation may not be complex but that doesn’t mean the individual assignments are not.

Easy, take a breath here. JFC…
I don’t play for Iowa and I can make a good assumption you don’t either. This has been started numerous times over the years as to why new players are not on the field. The play call and or formation may not be complex but that doesn’t mean the individual assignments are not.
My impression is that the biggest outlier for Iowa's offense is that they place heavy burden on decision making by the QB. The QB is expected to diagnose the defense and find the best option. A lot of modern offenses don't do that.

The QB in an air raid offense isn't looking for the best option. They are simply looking for the first effective one. A high percentage of their plays require the QB to read only half the field and most of the decision making is done before the snap. This reduces the strain on the QB and the O line because the majority of passes are out quick. RPO also makes decisions easier. If this happens then do this.

Simplicity is generally better particularly in college football. The best offenses run a small set of plays and just change the window dressings with slightly different formations. When the QB and receiver gets the exact same read over and over it becomes very precise and there is no hesitation. Players can get back into a flow state you cannot achieve this you are having to think and diagnose and you can only get there through repetition. You get more repetition by reducing the concepts you need to drill . A constant theme in Iowa QB play is late throws. Even effective plays often get the ball out too late.

Kirk's offensive problems
1. Refusal to switch from the outside zone for so long has stunted the development of a real passing game. If you watch games from the early 2000's the backside defensive player isn't crashing and leaves cutback lanes. Defenses have adjusted. This has allowed defenses to stack against the run and never be punished for blitzes
2. Refusal to understand the reason you had successful seasons. Banks, tate, beathard, and even stanzi made up for poor offensive schemes by using their feet to pick up 1st downs.
3. Refusal to use any motion to help the run game. You don't run jet sweep motion 3 times a game and hand it off two. You run jet sweep motion often to freeze the defenders and get a wr on the move into pass routes. The coaches have obviously not paid attention to the yards per carry with motion vs without.
4. Refusal to run out of gun
5. refusal to audible to pass.
6. Refusal to have a couple trick plays in the bag every week and use them. These aren't jr. high kids running plays.
7. Refusal to help your offensive line with some draws both qb and rb.
8. Refusal to use the RB in the passing game on wheels and swing passes.
9. Refusal to ever run a fade route that requires a little less blocking from the oline. How many balls did ISM and smith (state high jump champ and 6'3" 220lbs) get thrown to them on the outside. Yet we throw to ragaini and every other small 5'10" slot receiver like we have Tom Brady and we are the patriots.

What's the worst is none of this requires more thinking on the parts of the players and puts more of a burden on the defense but they refuse to do it. Being vanilla is ok; you just need to know when it's time not to be.

Kirk's offensive problems
1. Refusal to switch from the outside zone for so long has stunted the development of a real passing game. If you watch games from the early 2000's the backside defensive player isn't crashing and leaves cutback lanes. Defenses have adjusted. This has allowed defenses to stack against the run and never be punished for blitzes
2. Refusal to understand the reason you had successful seasons. Banks, tate, beathard, and even stanzi made up for poor offensive schemes by using their feet to pick up 1st downs.
3. Refusal to use any motion to help the run game. You don't run jet sweep motion 3 times a game and hand it off two. You run jet sweep motion often to freeze the defenders and get a wr on the move into pass routes. The coaches have obviously not paid attention to the yards per carry with motion vs without.
4. Refusal to run out of gun
5. refusal to audible to pass.
6. Refusal to have a couple trick plays in the bag every week and use them. These aren't jr. high kids running plays.
7. Refusal to help your offensive line with some draws both qb and rb.
8. Refusal to use the RB in the passing game on wheels and swing passes.
9. Refusal to ever run a fade route that requires a little less blocking from the oline. How many balls did ISM and smith (state high jump champ and 6'3" 220lbs) get thrown to them on the outside. Yet we throw to ragaini and every other small 5'10" slot receiver like we have Tom Brady and we are the patriots.

What's the worst is none of this requires more thinking on the parts of the players and puts more of a burden on the defense but they refuse to do it. Being vanilla is ok; you just need to know when it's time not to be.
The play calling feels a little like battleship. Throws things out there and see what hits.

Reactions: TRHawkeye145
My impression is that the biggest outlier for Iowa's offense is that they place heavy burden on decision making by the QB. The QB is expected to diagnose the defense and find the best option. A lot of modern offenses don't do that.

The QB in an air raid offense isn't looking for the best option. They are simply looking for the first effective one. A high percentage of their plays require the QB to read only half the field and most of the decision making is done before the snap. This reduces the strain on the QB and the O line because the majority of passes are out quick. RPO also makes decisions easier. If this happens then do this.

Simplicity is generally better particularly in college football. The best offenses run a small set of plays and just change the window dressings with slightly different formations. When the QB and receiver gets the exact same read over and over it becomes very precise and there is no hesitation. Players can get back into a flow state you cannot achieve this you are having to think and diagnose and you can only get there through repetition. You get more repetition by reducing the concepts you need to drill . A constant theme in Iowa QB play is late throws. Even effective plays often get the ball out too late.
This is the truth. Our offensive SCHEME is worthless!

Reactions: ft254
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT