ADVERTISEMENT

Can we have a civil conversation about the Iowa offensive struggles the past couple years?

RagnarLothbrok

HR All-American
Apr 4, 2023
I wanted to address a few things I’ve read on here:

1. Iowa needs to “modernize” the offense. Yeah, that. No, the offensive formations, plays, etc. are fine. Seriously, they are. Perhaps an argument can be made for changing up tempo and pace from time to time, but the formations, plays, schemes, etc. are fine. This is the same offensive system and philosophy that put up 55 points against OSU, 63 at Illinois, and 49 against USC. It really is about the players.

2. The Iowa OL went to hell after Doyle was canned. Then why did the DL get bigger, faster, and stronger? Perhaps the answer is the OL recruiting was subpar for a couple years followed by unexpected injuries and departures. Again, personnel issues.

3. Brian Ferentz is only OC because of Daddy. True, but how much can he really be blamed for the Iowa offensive woes the past two years? I’m not suggesting he’s an offensive genius, but Andy Reid would have sucked with last year’s roster. Is Brian responsible for recruiting? In part, sure, but consider the following: Spencer Petras was a 4-star QB who broke many of Jared Goff’s high school records; the turnover on the OL the past few years has been crippling, not to mention nearly impossible to foresee; Keagan Johnson was a 4-star WR and on some sites so was Arland Bruce (and come to find out Arland might have had a vested interest in the lack of points Iowa scored); and we have a couple young, promising running backs who were true freshmen last year. So, yes, quite a bit was out of Brian’s control.

This is the point: I understand some skepticism given what we’ve seen the past couple seasons; however, I think some are overdoing it with the extreme pessimism. I agree that Kirk made a mistake after 21-22 by not hitting the portal. NIL as such was new and I guess Kirk either hadn’t figured out yet how to navigate through all that or genuinely believed the players he expected to be on the field in 2022 would be adequate. Regardless, and whatever the reason may have been, it’s without question Kirk hit the portal hard this offseason and IMO knocked it out of the park.

So, let’s just chill for a bit and see how this season plays out. If Iowa stays healthy and we’re not seeing substantial improvement with the offense, then I will be on board with changes needing to be made in the coaching staff. However, I fully anticipate Iowa being competitive on offense this year. It should be a fun season.

With the onus to score 27+ ppg I think we'll see some changes in tempo. I expect to see hurry up offense at the end of the 1st half, as opposed to the typical run out the clock. Hopefully this will pay off later in the season when they likely will need to score in a hurry.

As far as BF, IMO he needs to succeed at another institution before being considered for the head coach here. His resume ain't that great when compared to other P5 candidates.

I don't blame our coaches. Shit happens. Injuries happen. Fans are irrational babies and their suggestions shouldn't be taken seriously. The solution isn't always to fire people. Our history backs that up yet people still just call for heads at every turn. Any loss is a meltdown retrospective of the need to clean house. It's pretty idiotic and annoying.

The offense has struggled long before the last 2 years (did everyone forget GDGD?) but you are considered a "hater" to point that out by many here.

Kirk could have been an all time great coach if his offenses were consistently as good as the defenses he has peoduced. Instead his legacy will be a good coach with a lot of what ifs IMO

The offense has struggled long before the last 2 years (did everyone forget GDGD?) but you are considered a "hater" to point that out by many here.

Kirk could have been an all time great coach if his offenses were consistently as good as the defenses he has peoduced. Instead his legacy will be a good coach with a lot of what ifs IMO

There have been no less than 500 people in here who have suggested the offense is poor, BF needs to go, our OL was awful etc..

That IS NOT what makes someone a hater. But I do appreciate you guys trying to redeem yourselves here in the off season by pretending like you were saying…

Oh geez guys our offense is bad…..LOL

I swear most of you argue like women…. Hell maybe you are women? In fact can you even say that anymore ? My bad….

But the point remains..,I’ll say it loud!!

WE ALL AGREE the offense was bad, we should have used the portal, we wish Brian had left, our QBs were gross…

What we don’t all agree on is; fire everyone, we are the worst, what a shitty program, and on and on and on and on and on….

Nice try though…

Our offensive philosophy will never change as long as Kirk is in charge. Don't get me wrong, I love Kirk and I think he'll be both a HOF Coach and will have a statue outside of Kinnick some day. But he's never been a fan of all the flash, he likes to control the ball/time of possession and win the turnover battle. Keeping the other team from scoring as much as humanly possible. It's like suffocating the opponent. That will be our identity until Kirk hangs it up.

The problem is, that philosophy relies heavily on winning the trenches. Without a stout OLine to allow us to run the ball, it all falls apart and we end up with what we look like now. I think Patches O'Houlihan puts it best.

I hate to say it, but ever since Doyle left our OLine has been so much worse. If Barnett can't put together something this year, he's gotta go. Everyone is an upperclassmen with experience and there's just no excuse.

Most everyone on here knows that I advocate some form of a Spread offense.
With that said, I have stopped preaching it as to do so is pointless.
Time will tell if the status quo will get the job done.
What is painful is seeing world class defenses and special teams in effect go to waste against quality programs.
Losing to Nebraska and STATE qualifies as an abomination, especially regarding STATE.

The reason is Kirk will be Kirk.
Doesn't like risk, doesn't like sizzle, doesn't like showing-up the opposition, doesn't giving the other team a short field, doesn't like putting his Defense in bad spots.
All-B10 -caliber OGs and OTs are what we need. When we got 'em the Offense is acceptable...when we don't, ouch.

I wanted to address a few things I’ve read on here:

1. Iowa needs to “modernize” the offense. Yeah, that. No, the offensive formations, plays, etc. are fine. Seriously, they are. Perhaps an argument can be made for changing up tempo and pace from time to time, but the formations, plays, schemes, etc. are fine. This is the same offensive system and philosophy that put up 55 points against OSU, 63 at Illinois, and 49 against USC. It really is about the players.

2. The Iowa OL went to hell after Doyle was canned. Then why did the DL get bigger, faster, and stronger? Perhaps the answer is the OL recruiting was subpar for a couple years followed by unexpected injuries and departures. Again, personnel issues.

I really agree with your logic on point #2 and as far as #1 you are correct but if the hawks did have some more dynamic, really great receivers they could mix in more 3 receiver and spread sets

With the onus to score 27+ ppg I think we'll see some changes in tempo. I expect to see hurry up offense at the end of the 1st half, as opposed to the typical run out the clock. Hopefully this will pay off later in the season when they likely will need to score in a hurry.

As far as BF, IMO he needs to succeed at another institution before being considered for the head coach here. His resume ain't that great when compared to other P5 candidates.
With the OL not having much at Tackle...and still struggling with pass blocking....and a complete stud at rb....this is the year to try and continuously pound the ball...BF will not do that...he will continue to try way too many things instead of focusing on the few things they can do well...

Overall, with all the negativity(self earned) surrounding BF...He is not an asset to the program.

I really agree with your logic on point #2 and as far as #1 you are correct but if the hawks did have some more dynamic, really great receivers they could mix in more 3 receiver and spread setsAZ zz ax square

We had a LOT of problems at wide receiver last year. Looks to be a deeper, healthier, more talented group this year. Without a better oline and QB play this year will still look a lot like last year. It's not about the receivers this year. This year is all about the oline making significant improvements and Cade getting healthy. Without one of those the offense struggles. Without both expect a repeat of the last 2 years.

• Haha
Reactions: PoleSmokinHerkyFan
I hesitated for a moment, but sometimes you just have a call a spade a spade. Not saying there wasn't other weakness, but by far the single most attributable factor over the past two years can be summed up with 2 and 5 words.......

"Spencer Petras" and "Continue trotting out Spencer Petras"

That's it. That's all. And looking forward to new era of any other future QB play.

There have been no less than 500 people in here who have suggested the offense is poor, BF needs to go, our OL was awful etc..

That IS NOT what makes someone a hater. But I do appreciate you guys trying to redeem yourselves here in the off season by pretending like you were saying…

Oh geez guys our offense is bad…..LOL

I swear most of you argue like women…. Hell maybe you are women? In fact can you even say that anymore ? My bad….

But the point remains..,I’ll say it loud!!

WE ALL AGREE the offense was bad, we should have used the portal, we wish Brian had left, our QBs were gross…

What we don’t all agree on is; fire everyone, we are the worst, what a shitty program, and on and on and on and on and on….

Nice try though…
Not one person said that before you jumped in. Not one. You’re the one starting shit now. OP had some very legitimate points. I’m going to leave it at that and let the season play out.

Not one person said that before you jumped in. Not one. You’re the one starting shit now. OP had some very legitimate points. I’m going to leave it at that and let the season play out.

Then you missed @blhawk saying this….

“but you are considered a "hater" to point that out by many here.”

It’s a lie……it’s not ok to make shit up and then blame someone else for derailing the thread…

Or is it? I’ll let you be the judge!

Then you missed @blhawk saying this….

“but you are considered a "hater" to point that out by many here.”

It’s a lie……it’s not ok to make shit up and then blame someone else for derailing the thread…

Or is it? I’ll let you be the judge!

Ps….op had great points!! @blhawk had an agenda.
What’s Max’s opinion??

I don't blame our coaches. Shit happens. Injuries happen. Fans are irrational babies and their suggestions shouldn't be taken seriously. The solution isn't always to fire people. Our history backs that up yet people still just call for heads at every turn. Any loss is a meltdown retrospective of the need to clean house. It's pretty idiotic and annoying.
If you can’t see that the HC has failed on the offensive side of the ball the last 6 years, while also instituting a heavy dose of nepotism, then there is no reasoning with you. Fans are irrational, but Iowa is a fvcking laughing stock when it comes to all things offense.

If you can’t see that the HC has failed on the offensive side of the ball the last 6 years, while also instituting a heavy dose of nepotism, then there is no reasoning with you. Fans are irrational, but Iowa is a fvcking laughing stock when it comes to all things offense.

Everyone has something!

I think it will be interesting to see how we handle this Cade injury and Brian’s job. Let’s be honest, Iowa isn’t playing for a national title this season. So these first three games are the least important, and we should be able to win two of them easily, no matter who the quarterback is. And Iowa State will probably be one of the worst power 5 teams we will play this season too. So do we play Cade, even if not healthy in the first three games, because if we don’t put up points early in the season, we aren’t averaging 25 right?!?

I think it will be interesting to see how we handle this Cade injury and Brian’s job. Let’s be honest, Iowa isn’t playing for a national title this season. So these first three games are the least important, and we should be able to win two of them easily, no matter who the quarterback is. And Iowa State will probably be one of the worst power 5 teams we will play this season too. So do we play Cade, even if not healthy in the first three games, because if we don’t put up points early in the season, we aren’t averaging 25 right?!?

For someone that has such a hard opinion of the coaches I’m shocked you wouldn’t be playing the win every game…

Every year that is my hope and yet I’m able to remain some semblance of positivity, and apparently that isn’t even your help and you struggle being positive.

What the hell?!

For someone that has such a hard opinion of the coaches I’m shocked you wouldn’t be playing the win every game…

Every year that is my hope and yet I’m able to remain some semblance of positivity, and apparently that isn’t even your help and you struggle being positive.

What the hell?!
I think most people are realistic. We aren’t Ohio State, we aren’t Michigan. Most of us hope we shouldn’t lose games when your defense gives up ten or less points. We did it twice last season. Most of us hope we can beat a Nebraska team that couldn’t stop the run, but we come out throwing the ball and get in a hole and lose. There aren’t a lot of opportunities to go 10 and 2 and play for a big ten title. We wasted one last year. Hope it doesn’t happen again.

Ain't nobody firing Junior, even if we average 17 points/game.
Just the way it is.

Ain't nobody firing Junior, even if we average 17 points/game.
Just the way it is.
I want them to avg above whatever the forced contract stipulations are...Iowa will increase their chances at a victory and potentially win more games and maybe....just maybe...somebody somewhere will be willing to take the massive PR hit..and hire BF away....Everybody wins with the above scenario....everybody..

Reactions: Here_4_a_Day
I want them to avg above whatever the forced contract stipulations are...Iowa will increase their chances at a victory and potentially win more games and maybe....just maybe...somebody somewhere will be willing to take the massive PR hit..and hire BF away....Everybody wins with the above scenario....everybody..
No argument here.

If the offense doesn’t improve, nothing will save jr. Not even KF himself. I said it in another thread, but Iowa is a fvcking joke when it comes to anything offense. The embarrassment is real and the powers that be cannot ignore it any longer.
Just can't imagine anyone telling The Capt that Junior has to go.

Just can't imagine anyone telling The Capt that Junior has to go.
It will be very well orchestrated to appear as not a firing I’m sure, but there is no way they can sweep another season under the rug with everything that has been brought in to improve the offense. KF literally has his back against the wall. And for what? Gifting his son a job he has no business having? It’s crazy to me that this is the hill he’s gonna die on.

Observations:
1. KF has won a ton of games with 2 losing seasons in the last 23 years so Iowa is one of the most consistent programs in college football over 23 years.
2. KF has never consistently featured a high scoring explosive offense.
We have 25 years of data to support the notion that offensive coordinators come and go but they never really change our basic formula for winning.
Hence I really think BF is performing similar to all the OCers that preceded him during the KF era.
When we have a good O line and solid rbs we can score.

While I get frustrated with our offense like most fans, I like winning more than anything.
Like AL Davis said" just win, baby".

With the OL not having much at Tackle...and still struggling with pass blocking....and a complete stud at rb....this is the year to try and continuously pound the ball...BF will not do that...he will continue to try way too many things instead of focusing on the few things they can do well...

Overall, with all the negativity(self earned) surrounding BF...He is not an asset to the program.
it is hard to pound the rock with subar oline against 9 man fronts who had zero fear of being beaten over the top.
Brian might or might not be the best OC available, but his hands have been tied with the lack of talent on O.

it is hard to pound the rock with subar oline against 9 man fronts who had zero fear of being beaten over the top.
Brian might or might not be the best OC available, but his hands have been tied with the lack of talent on O.
Maybe he should involve himself in recruiting more....or maybe not based on his rep on the trail....The guy is not an asset to the program...I'm trying to adhere to the request of the OP and remain "civil"...Even after hundreds/thousands of posts on here and other boards....I'm still surprised at people that think BF in anyway being in the position he is, can be a positive for the program.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT