ADVERTISEMENT

Can we have a civil conversation about the Iowa offensive struggles the past couple years?

having a civil discourse on the iowa offense is like having a civil discourse about politics...........it's 100% likely to be uncivil

Reactions: PNWHawk
All our hopes, and Brian’s job, is hanging on Cade being healthy this season.
Well, thankfully Budamyr was on the staff to be the key in landing him...I give credit to KF and all the members of the "Swarm"...they helped land multiple players that should be a key in helping Iowa to another solid season...If BF can coordinate the offense well enough with all that KF has done for him...good. Iowa wins and maybe BF can finally find work somewhere else. The team wins, the fans win, and BF wins by finding employment elsewhere. Complete victory for all involved.

Hearing the two OL transfers have struggled. Parker wouldn’t surprise me, but Feth struggling would. Also hearing the entire line is struggling in general. Just from a source at practice every day. KF seems optimistic so maybe we need to just go with that.
Also hearing McNamara is still on crutches. 🙄

• Wow
Reactions: PoleSmokinHerkyFan
Hearing the two OL transfers have struggled. Parker wouldn’t surprise me, but Feth struggling would. Also hearing the entire line is struggling in general. Just from a source at practice every day. KF seems optimistic so maybe we need to just go with that.
Sorry to hear about McNamara.

• Wow
I heard an amputation is not out of the question. If that came to pass, do we put a one legged McNamara out there or see what one of the other guys can do? I know Kirk and Brian are pretty reluctant to make a change at that position. 🤔

I heard an amputation is not out of the question. If that came to pass, do we put a one legged McNamara out there or see what one of the other guys can do? I know Kirk and Brian are pretty reluctant to make a change at that position. 🤔
Serious Question:
Is there any reason not to start Hill against USU?

Phil can probably throw a shutout and LeVar's crew will do their normal thing.
MAKE SURE McNamara is healed up before State.
Too bad Labas has been out a long time.

• Wow
Serious Question:
Is there any reason not to start Hill against USU?

Phil can probably throw a shutout and LeVar's crew will do their normal thing.
MAKE SURE McNamara is healed up before State.
Too bad Labas has been out a long time.
That’s honestly not a bad idea. But is the guy even somewhat close to ready? Then again we might have no choice.

• Wow
KF is an optimistic guy so frankly he's probably the last guy you should be looking at for reliable information on that front or in regards to McNamara's health for that matter. Besides, what's he going to say if it's looking less than exemplary after the last 2 years? He probably expressed similar optimistic comments last year.

In the past two years, if we get like a 17 to 3 lead against a team like Utah State, we’d shut it down. Now we are probably going to have Deacon Hill running and gunning all over the field against Utah State.

Reactions: Iron Doc
I wanted to address a few things I’ve read on here:

1. Iowa needs to “modernize” the offense. Yeah, that. No, the offensive formations, plays, etc. are fine. Seriously, they are. Perhaps an argument can be made for changing up tempo and pace from time to time, but the formations, plays, schemes, etc. are fine. This is the same offensive system and philosophy that put up 55 points against OSU, 63 at Illinois, and 49 against USC. It really is about the players.

2. The Iowa OL went to hell after Doyle was canned. Then why did the DL get bigger, faster, and stronger? Perhaps the answer is the OL recruiting was subpar for a couple years followed by unexpected injuries and departures. Again, personnel issues.

3. Brian Ferentz is only OC because of Daddy. True, but how much can he really be blamed for the Iowa offensive woes the past two years? I’m not suggesting he’s an offensive genius, but Andy Reid would have sucked with last year’s roster. Is Brian responsible for recruiting? In part, sure, but consider the following: Spencer Petras was a 4-star QB who broke many of Jared Goff’s high school records; the turnover on the OL the past few years has been crippling, not to mention nearly impossible to foresee; Keagan Johnson was a 4-star WR and on some sites so was Arland Bruce (and come to find out Arland might have had a vested interest in the lack of points Iowa scored); and we have a couple young, promising running backs who were true freshmen last year. So, yes, quite a bit was out of Brian’s control.

This is the point: I understand some skepticism given what we’ve seen the past couple seasons; however, I think some are overdoing it with the extreme pessimism. I agree that Kirk made a mistake after 21-22 by not hitting the portal. NIL as such was new and I guess Kirk either hadn’t figured out yet how to navigate through all that or genuinely believed the players he expected to be on the field in 2022 would be adequate. Regardless, and whatever the reason may have been, it’s without question Kirk hit the portal hard this offseason and IMO knocked it out of the park.

So, let’s just chill for a bit and see how this season plays out. If Iowa stays healthy and we’re not seeing substantial improvement with the offense, then I will be on board with changes needing to be made in the coaching staff. However, I fully anticipate Iowa being competitive on offense this year. It should be a fun season.
Sure...IT SUCKS ASS!

• Haha
Reactions: Iron Doc

1. Iowa needs to “modernize” the offense. Yeah, that. No, the offensive formations, plays, etc. are fine. Seriously, they are. Perhaps an argument can be made for changing up tempo and pace from time to time, but the formations, plays, schemes, etc. are fine. This is the same offensive system and philosophy that put up 55 points against OSU, 63 at Illinois, and 49 against USC. It really is about the players.

2. The Iowa OL went to hell after Doyle was canned. Then why did the DL get bigger, faster, and stronger? Perhaps the answer is the OL recruiting was subpar for a couple years followed by unexpected injuries and departures. Again, personnel issues.

3. Brian Ferentz is only OC because of Daddy. True, but how much can he really be blamed for the Iowa offensive woes the past two years? I’m not suggesting he’s an offensive genius, but Andy Reid would have sucked with last year’s roster. Is Brian responsible for recruiting? In part, sure, but consider the following: Spencer Petras was a 4-star QB who broke many of Jared Goff’s high school records; the turnover on the OL the past few years has been crippling, not to mention nearly impossible to foresee; Keagan Johnson was a 4-star WR and on some sites so was Arland Bruce (and come to find out Arland might have had a vested interest in the lack of points Iowa scored); and we have a couple young, promising running backs who were true freshmen last year. So, yes, quite a bit was out of Brian’s control.

This is the point: I understand some skepticism given what we’ve seen the past couple seasons; however, I think some are overdoing it with the extreme pessimism. I agree that Kirk made a mistake after 21-22 by not hitting the portal. NIL as such was new and I guess Kirk either hadn’t figured out yet how to navigate through all that or genuinely believed the players he expected to be on the field in 2022 would be adequate. Regardless, and whatever the reason may have been, it’s without question Kirk hit the portal hard this offseason and IMO knocked it out of the park.

So, let’s just chill for a bit and see how this season plays out. If Iowa stays healthy and we’re not seeing substantial improvement with the offense, then I will be on board with changes needing to be made in the coaching staff. However, I fully anticipate Iowa being competitive on offense this year. It should be a fun season.
Thanks for the post. I loved it

Reactions: RagnarLothbrok
Thank you for the thoughtful contribution.
Just out of curiosity, are you a Forum Moderator?
Just wondering because I don't want to incur the wrath of an Authority Figure.
In times past, on other forums, I occasionally got smote with the BanHammer (kind of like Mjolnir). I figure I'm way too old to risk that fate again.

• Haha
Reactions: RagnarLothbrok
Just out of curiosity, are you a Forum Moderator?
Just wondering because I don't want to incur the wrath of an Authority Figure.
In times past, on other forums, I occasionally got smote with the BanHammer (kind of like Mjolnir). I figure I'm way too old to risk that fate again.
I am. Mind your P's and Q's buddy!!!

I just wonder if Goetz was shown the hierarchy chart of the Athletic Department of Iowa when she slipped into the job, and realizes she now works for Kirk.

IMO the biggest problem with the offense is they make it too complex to learn. Every other school in the country has freshman start at QB and most other positions that rely on pure athleticism. But at Iowa all we ever hear is "they are still learning the offense".

I listened to a podcast a few weeks ago with Hal Mummy who is credited with inventing the the Air Raid. He said his approach to offense is to keep it simple enough for college athletes to determine quickly what they need to do and go do it. Another interesting thing he said was that no OC anywhere is good enough to think through an 100 page playbook and get the right play called in 30 seconds.

Iowa's defensive philosophy is to keep it simple and let athletes make plays. They need to do the same for the offense. Yes they still need better skill, but this approach would help the players they have execute better.

Iowa's offense is too complicated. Bullshit.
Fans know what plays are coming.
Opponents know what plays are coming.

No Innovation. No misdirection. No change in tempo. A goddam Jr. Highschool coach knows enough to prevent predictability.

Too complicated. JFC. If Iowa has a 100 page playbook, someone hasn't shared it with any of the coaches or players. Off right tackle. 5 yards to Tight end. Inside left guard. Did I leave anything out?

Reactions: JLDHAWK
Wondering your thoughts on this thread now, Ragnar?

I think you were generous and reasonable in your set up back in August before we actually got to see it play out on the field.
Given your responses on other threads I think I know where you stand, but I would be interested in how you view now what you stated to start this topic.

3 years of the worst P5 offense isn't enough for you? No, we need a change regardless of how the season plays out. Anything else and it will spell disaster for years to come and we will be a dumpster fire

Wondering your thoughts on this thread now, Ragnar?

I think you were generous and reasonable in your set up back in August before we actually got to see it play out on the field.
Given your responses on other threads I think I know where you stand, but I would be interested in how you view now what you stated to start this topic.
He ain't happy lol!!!

Fire Kirk, the source of our distress (antiquated crappy Offensive scheme that plays to the weakness of our inept OLine).
Who cares if he's the Dean Of Coaches?
Even Bear Bryant lost his edge.

Reactions: littlez
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT