ADVERTISEMENT

Can Labas at least be a consistently good passer? If so, start him

uihawk82

HR All-American
Nov 17, 2021
Petras has throw and lot of great passes in his hawk career. He threw a super ball to Laporta on that short, skinny In pattern that went for a nice gain and first down. The pass was on time and right at Laporta's eyes to make an easy catch and run. But no way consistent and neither is Padilla.

So how about seeing if Labas is at least consistent at throwing accurate passes. That would or should at least make him the # 1 starting qb.

Reactions: jhawk23
If Iowa’s offense is so complicated that a starter 2 years in the program can’t learn it then that’s on the coaches. That’s a system issue. Especially in an era where athletes are more ready to play than ever coming out of HS. And transfer portal makes it easy to say ‘no thank you I’ll move along.’
Not to mention that this complicated offense is the worst in the nation…

McGuire was a big, strong , guy though. Petras could be sacked by a Dandelion.

McGwire was his name. And he rushed 109 times for -456 yards and three TDs as a college QB. Petras has rushed 114 times for -213 yards and eight TDs at Iowa. Who is better? Facts are fun.

I thought they dumbed down the playbook this year? Surely a 2nd year player has picked up plays by now. Do we need to move down to a remedial playbook now! Is it for the qb’s or the offensive coordinator?

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
Well it happened back then because Fry was a QB whisperer and a great offensive mind along with Bill Snyder. They could coach them up
If there's one area where Hayden and Kirk are complete opposites, it's this. Hayden could groom any QB into a good player, knew just how to connect with them, motivate them and get the best from them. He put guys in position to win. Quarterback whisperer indeed.

Under KFz, Iowa is where quarterbacks go to die.

For the number of snaps he's taken, Petras hasn't thrown anywhere near what I'd consider "a lot" of great passes.

But to the point of the thread, sure Labas or May or a kid plucked from a rec league flag football team would be worth giving a shot at this point.

More than just a new QB, though, the offense needs a re-tool. Get the QB out of the pocket and moving. Roll outs and designed runs. Definitely run some wildcat with DeJean; it's way past time for that.

If there's one area where Hayden and Kirk are complete opposites, it's this. Hayden could groom any QB into a good player, knew just how to connect with them, motivate them and get the best from them. He put guys in position to win. Quarterback whisperer indeed.

Under KFz, Iowa is where quarterbacks go to die.
Not only what you also said but Fry could tell when a QB he had as first team starter just didnt have it. He could identify the gamer vs the non gamer. I think the psychology major in Fry just made it so he knew how people ticked. He was quite the coach and lucky that Iowa got him.

McGwire was his name. And he rushed 109 times for -456 yards and three TDs as a college QB. Petras has rushed 114 times for -213 yards and eight TDs at Iowa. Who is better? Facts are fun.
McGwire's name came up because between Petras, McGwire, and a Sloth, it would be the Sloth that avoided the sack. You left out the McGwire's passing yardage and fact that that McGwire got drafted in 1st round by NFL. Petras won't be drafted. No one would care if Petras got sacked once in awhile but was able to stand in pocket, make the ride reads, not spaz and make the throws, and occasionally shake off a defender, and throw it down field to get the 1st downs.

Iowa punts so often, it is hard for Petras to get enough opportunities to be sacked to match McGwire.

Petras has throw and lot of great passes in his hawk career. He threw a super ball to Laporta on that short, skinny In pattern that went for a nice gain and first down. The pass was on time and right at Laporta's eyes to make an easy catch and run. But no way consistent and neither is Padilla.

So how about seeing if Labas is at least consistent at throwing accurate passes. That would or should at least make him the # 1 starting qb.
How can you make the inconsistent comment about Padilla? 3-0 as a starter last year with a 17.6% drop rate. One half of play against Ohio St. and you label him inconsistent? He should be given his fair shot and if he can’t cut it, then Labas gets his opportunity. Not sure any QB can perform at a high level with this OL. Padilla and Labas may bring a bit more escapability to the table.

Because all he does is three and outs pretty much.
You left out the 7500 yards passing. You think NcGwire was easier to tackle than Petras. Lmao.
Who is better? Petras or McGwire?

McGwire's name came up because between Petras, McGwire, and a Sloth, it would be the Sloth that avoided the sack. You left out the McGwire's passing yardage and fact that that McGwire got drafted in 1st round by NFL. Petras won't be drafted. No one would care if Petras got sacked once in awhile but was able to stand in pocket, make the ride reads, not spaz and make the throws, and occasionally shake off a defender, and throw it down field to get the 1st downs.

Iowa punts so often, it is hard for Petras to get enough opportunities to be sacked to match McGwire.
Facts are fun! Spot on HawkLogic.

If Iowa’s offense is so complicated that a starter 2 years in the program can’t learn it then that’s on the coaches. That’s a system issue. Especially in an era where athletes are more ready to play than ever coming out of HS. And transfer portal makes it easy to say ‘no thank you I’ll move along.’
Not to mention that this complicated offense is the worst in the nation…
Well said

How can you make the inconsistent comment about Padilla? 3-0 as a starter last year with a 17.6% drop rate. One half of play against Ohio St. and you label him inconsistent? He should be given his fair shot and if he can’t cut it, then Labas gets his opportunity. Not sure any QB can perform at a high level with this OL. Padilla and Labas may bring a bit more escapability to the table.

I am ok with Padilla playing some more but he air mailed a couple passes against OSU. I know the OLine is not giving them any time.

I just thought maybe Labas was faster than both of the other qbs and we could go to way more rollouts etc

I am ok with Padilla playing some more but he air mailed a couple passes against OSU. I know the OLine is not giving them any time.

I just thought maybe Labas was faster than both of the other qbs and we could go to way more rollouts etc
Let's get Labas....and inexperienced, unproven, lightly recruited QB on the field and get him throwing on the run...so he can throw one pick after another. Good plan.

Let's get Labas....and inexperienced, unproven, lightly recruited QB on the field and get him throwing on the run...so he can throw one pick after another. Good plan.
You might want to check Petras’ TD/INT ratio. For a so-called “game manager” he commits a lot of turnovers.

You might want to check Petras’ TD/INT ratio. For a so-called “game manager” he commits a lot of turnovers.
Read my comment again. No reference to Petras or a TD/INT ratio. Simply stating that getting Labas on the run to throw will result in many interceptions. And...since you brought up "ratios"....I'd bet his pass to INT ratio would be much worse than that of Petras.

Read my comment again. No reference to Petras or a TD/INT ratio. Simply stating that getting Labas on the run to throw will result in many interceptions. And...since you brought up "ratios"....I'd bet his pass to INT ratio would be much worse than that of Petras.
Labas doesnt have to throw every time he rolls out. He can run the ball and play football.

Is Labas much faster than Petras and Padilla, who is not that fast? Just the option of a QB run on each play could greatly benefit this offense. If you roll right or left just have 3 receivers at different depths downfield and places in the secondary.

Actually I am all for Cooper Dejean being the QB/Athlete as the starter

Reactions: Jprimus
You can “think” and “bet” all you want, friend but the fact is until he throws a pass there’s no possible way to be certain. I wasn’t trying to be combative, just pointing out that arguing against Labas because he might throw some picks is kind of weak sauce because the two guys in front of him throw plenty themselves. I also hate that sports buzzword “inexperience.” Every single player in every single sport started out as inexperienced.

Because all he does is three and outs pretty much.
You left out the 7500 yards passing. You think NcGwire was easier to tackle than Petras. Lmao.
Who is better? Petras or McGwire?

I replied to your post insinuating that McGwire was better on his feet than Petras. The stats don’t indicate that. Pretty simple. Nobody is talking about passing yards.

That’s because it’s irrelevant to what I was referring to. Petras is a bad runner. McGwire was worse. Thanks.

I am sure Labas, at this point, isn't ready but...He's probably going to be in the mix for starter next year. This team desperately needs to make a bowl for the extra month to month and a half of work.

Petras will be gone and with Padilla graduating in December, I expect him to be done as well.

Reactions: jhawk23
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT