ADVERTISEMENT

Can you drive a vehicle with a manual transmission?

Of course. And I've taught everyone in my household. It's an important skill if for nothing more than to understand how a car / drive train work. I own a lot of vehicles - three of which are manuals. It's getting harder and harder to come by for new ones though. A shame.

It is a shame. They've made a bit of a comeback though. At least among performance cars.

It's what I learned to drive with. Dad had four on the floor pick up and three on the tree Plymouth Fury 3. Couldn't believe how easy a automatic was when I drove one the first time.

I can, but I don't currently.

Back in college I was the guy that could drive a standard that could get other people home drunk who were more drunk than me, and couldn't drive themselves. So I'd drive their cars back to wherever we were going. Also had a buddy in college that had a standard Isuzu Trooper. He'd let me drive it on e the weekends sometimes when he'd go back to Dallas. I don't want one now though - too much traffic to have to deal with always changing gears - much prefer to "set it and forget it".

It's what I learned to drive with. Dad had four on the floor pick up and three on the tree Plymouth Fury 3. Couldn't believe how easy a automatic was when I drove one the first time.
The ole three on the tree was a rite of passage back in the day. My buddy with a VW bug thought he could speed shift like he did the bug. Naw
You had to basically stop to get into first gear.
The trade off was that first had some legs to start off with.

Reactions: Kinnick.At.Night
Nice! 228K and counting on mine with the original clutch still going strong, and nothing more than a couple wheel bearings replaced (besides the tweakers who drilled my gas tank because tweakers freaking suck!)

It's my second manual Tacoma. They're fantastic. I miss how raw my old one was, mechanically. It had all the sounds of an old sports car, without the performance! There are definitely benefits to the newer models though.

Nice! 228K and counting on mine with the original clutch still going strong, and nothing more than a couple wheel bearings replaced (besides the tweakers who drilled my gas tank because tweakers freaking suck!)
I got rid of mine about 15 years ago and still regret it.
We just had our second kid and you couldn't really fit car seats in it as it was the 3/4 cab.
Plus, I commuted cross town in it and after stop and go traffic for an hour each way every day my hip hurt from the stiff clutch.

Yes, it’s what I first drove, but haven’t had one since early 2000s. But I tend to drive them when on vacation in foreign countries… like riding a bike.

Reactions: Tenacious E
Some mastery for the thread attendees. Mr. Senna, in loafers, demonstrates heel-and-toe shifting at Suzuka in an early NSX. At 100% of the car's limits. I could watch this every day.

Reactions: Moral
I have owned multiple stick transmission cars and trucks, and loved them. I loved the extra bit of control, and I think being more actively engaged as a driver keeps you more focused on what you are doing. I've had SUVs for the last 15 years due to family obligations, and wish I could graduate back to a manual.

I have a CDL, so yes...
Man, you reminded me of the old slap of skit work and rental trucks over the years. You could abuse the heck out of them without much concern, but they paid you back with stiff clutches, poor brakes and turning radius, little or no AC, hard ace bench seats, AM only radio, crank windows, inefficient wipers, etc…
Did I mention slap of skit trucks you could abuse?

And if you can, do you? My dad is a car guy, so I learned when I was 14 to drive a stick. And I've had a manual vehicle most of the time ever since. There's a certain satisfaction to be found in rowing your own gears.

I own 2 vehicles w/ manual transmissions.

And if you can, do you? My dad is a car guy, so I learned when I was 14 to drive a stick. And I've had a manual vehicle most of the time ever since. There's a certain satisfaction to be found in rowing your own gears.

You waited until 14? Must not have been a farm kid 😊

I learned on a 3 on the tree. Had 1 of those until about 10 years ago. Thanks for the post. Brought back some nice memories

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT